The Block 2017

• Please log in to reply
661 replies to this topic

#1 #YKG

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:38 PM

So finally it's starting on July 30! Whose watching with me?

I think it'll be interesting taking older houses and moving them into a street, I'm kinda feeling it more then the apartment buildings and going back to previous seasons of stand alone homes.

#2 Peanut

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:43 PM

I'm hoping that The Block producer that went over and stuffed up House Rules didn't have anything to do with this season of The Block!

If they show more renovations and less manufactured drama, it might actually be watchable like it used to be!

#3 Tender Heart

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:46 PM

I will probably flick between that and Australian Survivor.

#4 Elle2k17

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:57 PM

I am a sucker for the block!!! I've watched every season since it began and even though I absolutely hate the drama, I can't help but watch reveal each week and get a little caught up in the drama too lol. It sucks me in every time! (Plus last winter watching the reruns the next day got me through the freezing dramatically rainy first winter with my refluxy baby...I owe a lot to the show!)

Excited there a starting date and adding it to my calendar now!!!!

#5 MrsLexiK

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:39 PM

I got a bit lost the last few seasons of the block. But seeing the previews this one looks good. I like it when they do period homes. Hoping they have to do heritage stuff - not just look up a room on Pinterest and recreate it.

#6 Karlee99

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:15 PM

I will be watching - I like that they are going back to houses

#7 Nastyflea

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:17 PM

I'm looking forward to it! I love it (DH hates that I always want to change our house though after I watch it lol) and love that they are going back to houses.

But those houses are SO close together! You can reach out your window and touch the house next door it looks like.

And what producer stuffed up House Rules? I don't watch HR so how was it stuffed?

#8 Soontobegran

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:35 PM

I will watch as usual.
I'll be recording Survivor.

#9 all-of-us

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:50 PM

I also thought the houses looked close together. Need good drapes to hide the house next door.

#10 MarigoldMadge

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:22 PM

One of the block neighbours has an instagram account for anyone for interested.

https://www.instagra...s_theblock2017/

I know that area fairly well, and I think the neighbourhood would be quite relieved the land ended up in The Block, and not developed into a multi-level unit development

1 week to go!

#11 LuckyMummy ♥♥

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:32 PM

I'm struggling with the concept this year. They are taking 5 (or 6?) old houses, moving them to a vacant bit of land somewhere, then renovating them.

I always find it odd that the last few seasons the properties have obviously been somewhat gutted and pretty much rebuilt from scratch. It's not really a renovation show, but a building show these days. So why transport old houses to a new site? Why not build them a brand new home, a base frame, and get the contestants to fit them out? It's basically what they're doing anyway. Plus they will have to extend the old houses too to make them million dollar properties. So there will be brand new parts anyway I bet. It's probably going to be 40% new build.

I just don't understand the logic this year.

I will be watching though, cause I'm a sucker lol

#12 #YKG

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:39 PM

I think they have had A LOT of crap on social media in the last 3 seasons when they moved from mainly houses to apartments and trying to sell for multi million price tags and is unrealistic.

I'm not sure what suburb it's in, but many suburbs have median house price of $1mill for places that will be bulldozed anyway.

I like that the houses are old and are being given a second life instead of bulldozing them. Much of renovation is gutting and rebuilding so not that much of a stretch.

#13 Pearson

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:11 AM

the first 3 seasons were apartments
then season 4 and 5 were houses (workers cottages and terrace houses
then all-stars were heritage listed semi-detached houses
then an ex-hotel (apartments)
then a warehouse (fans v faves)
then an office building (IMO - the worst block ever and no wonder they made little money)
then apartments
then the blocktagon
then last years apartments
then this year, houses again.

I like that they are doing houses.
I hate that they pull most of the houses/apartments apart, as it is a rebuild, not renovate, but I am sure that this has to do with the asbestos and illegal works etc.

#14 all-of-us

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:35 AM

And wouldn't it be great to give a proper run down of the costs -: plumber cost this much and we budgeted this much etc.  

Make it more realistic and no more making one team to be the villains - can't we just all be nice and all get warm fuzzy feelings?

#15 2017Anon

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:15 PM

View Postall-of-us, on 24 July 2017 - 08:35 AM, said:

And wouldn't it be great to give a proper run down of the costs -: plumber cost this much and we budgeted this much etc.  

Make it more realistic and no more making one team to be the villains - can't we just all be nice and all get warm fuzzy feelings?

I agree, i would love to see more of the renovations and less of the drama. Just give the block contestants whatever water the Masterchef ones drank. Smiles, cuddles and reassuring (read creepy) arm touches everywhere! Hehehe

#16 LuckyMummy ♥♥

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:10 PM

The costs are all confusing anyway because they get vouchers and discounts, and some things they spend ridiculous amounts on and other things, like painting, they do themselves. So I can understand why they don't really spell out what each room cost.

#17 LuckyMummy ♥♥

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:11 PM

View Post2017Anon, on 24 July 2017 - 12:15 PM, said:

I agree, i would love to see more of the renovations and less of the drama. Just give the block contestants whatever water the Masterchef ones drank. Smiles, cuddles and reassuring (read creepy) arm touches everywhere! Hehehe

According to the preview they are the "most competitive contestants yet" so they're already spruiking the drama. I don't like the drama. I watch the beginning and end of each episode and skip the drama in between.

#18 Kallie88

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:48 PM

View PostNastyflea, on 14 July 2017 - 01:17 PM, said:

I'm looking forward to it! I love it (DH hates that I always want to change our house though after I watch it lol) and love that they are going back to houses.

But those houses are SO close together! You can reach out your window and touch the house next door it looks like.

And what producer stuffed up House Rules? I don't watch HR so how was it stuffed?

The most recent season  of house rules was 99% contestant drama and basically nothing about their reno's, it was painful to watch. Apparently, they had some producers come over from the block, but i don't know much about that, just what i heard.

#19 Peanut

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:51 PM

^^  Yep!

I really hope that The Block goes back to its old format, less reliant on made up drama.

#20 #YKG

Posted 30 July 2017 - 05:37 PM

It starts tonight!

#21 LuckyMummy ♥♥

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:22 PM

I knew most of the house would be new build. They're doubling the floor area, more if they go up. I bet the front will become bedrooms and the brand new rear will be a new open plan kitchen dining lounge. Maybe an upstairs master suite?

And the new section will run late and they will be under enormous time pressure, and it will rain... etc etc...

#22 LuckyMummy ♥♥

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:23 PM

Wow, I didn't guess the garage and apartment. That would be so awesome. Think I'll have to bid at the end of this.  These houses are going to go for a fortune!!!

#23 Nobody Cool

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:32 PM

View PostPeanut, on 13 July 2017 - 08:43 PM, said:

I'm hoping that The Block producer that went over and stuffed up House Rules didn't have anything to do with this season of The Block!

If they show more renovations and less manufactured drama, it might actually be watchable like it used to be!

THIS!

#24 Nobody Cool

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:37 PM

I wish they would find a whole bunch of bog-standard 1970's - 80's suburban houses and do them up. None of this completely rebuild and/or go high end nonsense.

#25 LuckyMummy ♥♥

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:47 PM

So... are we ready to make our early guesses at auction results? Or should we wait until the western states have caught up?

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 3 anonymous users

Google (2)

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

This mum has donated over 2,000 litres of breast milk

The mother-of-two was diagnosed with hyper-lactation.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Call to teach kids about breastfeeding at school

The aim is to increase breastfeeding rates and reduce stigma.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

'Working for nothing': Childcare crisis pushes Sydney parents to the brink

Most parents are experiencing substantial difficulties with the financial burden and lack of availability of childcare, as costs have more than doubled for some families in just over a decade.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Paying $2.50 for a babycino? This is why...

Aren't babycinos just a bit of froth? Not so, it seems...

I'm a stay-at-home mum who's an awful housewife

"Hey, come here a second," my mum said as she replaced the book in my hands with a wooden spoon covered in what I prayed was red sauce. Together, we walked into the kitchen and hovered over the skillet like we were peering into a crystal ball. Looking into my future, I saw me eating a lot of take away.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.