Year 12 parent/guardian support thread

• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadabbadoo

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:29 PM

Was just reading a thread about a Yr 12 student and quite a few current Yr 12 parents were commenting.  I have a Yr 12 this year so thought maybe we could start a thread to share our trials and tribulations of getting them through the next four months relatively sanely...  

There is a always a first year of high school thread, have I missed one for the final year?

#2 ytt

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:41 PM

Hello !!!

DS is doing his HSC, this is our first child doing HSC. We have no friends who have gone through HSC so can't guide us!

Plus we grew up in WA not NSW which is so different (plus it was ages ago lol)

DS is doing 3 day study camp at school 9am to 4pm!

How many hours study does your year 12 do and what subjects?

DS is doing physics, chem, biology, maths (the hard one, not extension he dropped that at end of year 11), economics and advanced English! It's a heavy workload :(

#3 Nasty Teens

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:42 PM

Oh thank you. This is my second round at this rodeo, but so much harder as we add in a disability, depression and anxiety as we have to have so many tests and reports done to prove DD needs the reasonable adjustments she has needed for a known disability for so long.

#4 limakilo

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:26 PM

First time year 12 parent here.
SOO much study!
DD is doing PE, Nutrition, Biology, Music, Musicianship, English.
She will often start homework at 4ish, and still be going at 9pm.

#5 JustBeige

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:52 PM

I'm a Yr 11/12 parent.  DD is doing Physics HSC but year 11 in all her other subjects.

She is having these little mini meltdowns quite randomly. lol, she reminds me of when she was 3!

We find the best thing to combat that is for her to be organised and make herself a study schedule.
She likes me to sit and 'help' (hand her the coloured textas) and we talk about how many hours realistically she needs for each subject - not including any IPs

#6 Coffeegirl

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:15 PM

Can I join in?  DD is in year 11 and starts her HSC in term 4.   And the pressure is already on.   DH did his HSC almost 30 years ago and I finished school in the US so this is all new to me.

Which classes will get the best ATAR, should she do an extra subject 'just in case she does well'.   Should she drop French or continue as she is doing really well...

She has a three day camp at the beginning of term 4 to teach them good study habits and how to prioritise their time so I hope she pays attention!

#7 yabbadabbadoo

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:21 PM

First time Yr 12 parent too.  DH and I did HSC many moons ago and now we are in Melb and DS is doing the IB (International Baccalaureate) instead of VCE, so it's completely different to anything we ever experienced.  

Thankfully he is a pretty motivated self starter when it comes to school work so we don't have to nag too much and he just never stops - except it sounds like he is tidying his room right now, without even being asked!!  It gets in such a state but I don't usually nag him about that either as he is so busy.  i do feel sorry for hims sometimes and clean it up but I haven't so far these holidays.  

He is doing Maths, English, Bio, Chem, Psych, Spanish and a compulsory IB subject called the Theory of Knowledge (TOK).  

His final exam is on 17th November and then has to wait until January for his results.

#8 Sincerely

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:58 AM

My eldest recently finished and my next has a few more years to go but this is the advice we will give him re HSC, based on our eldest's experience. Study to understand the subject material (don't memorise), ask the teacher anything you don't understand (most school depts allocate time & availability specifically for this). Check the BOS curriculum syllabus to make sure you have covered all the objectives for each topic. Studying hard is excellent but always ensure you get adequate food, water, exercise and sleep (otherwise the study hours will be inefficient). Organise your study schedule efficiently to allow yourself to attend as many social engagements as possible - there will be many school related Yr 12 functions and 18th birthday invites - they are a great way to take a mental break and provide reward incentives for study. If you've prepared very well and things don't go according to plan, it won't be a disaster - there is always the option of retaking one or more HSC subjects the next year.

#9 Sandra

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:19 AM

this is my 3rd time through and last one

Many schools run extra study and tuition before school and in evenings for year 12s. My daughter is doing these where she can for the 2 weaker subjects to push them higher for what she needs.

For me, I keep chill, deliver her food, but give her space to do stuff how she prefers.

Remember also for English if they fail, they get a resit in  January which most seem to pass,

#10 Therese

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:46 AM

View PostCoffeegirl, on 13 July 2017 - 08:15 PM, said:

Can I join in?  DD is in year 11 and starts her HSC in term 4.   And the pressure is already on.  

I am in the same position. HSC starts in term 4 for my daughter. I didn't live in NSW growing up so the whole system is new for me too.

This is a great thread btw OP.  Thank you for starting it.

#11 Therese

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:48 AM

View PostSandra, on 14 July 2017 - 09:19 AM, said:

Remember also for English if they fail, they get a resit in  January which most seem to pass,

I don't think that is the same in NSW. (I might be wrong though)

#12 Sandra

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:08 AM

Might be worth looking in to,  would think all States run some system since English is the essential subject.

My daughter is  doing  Psychology, Modern History,  Math, English and also doing a cert course in  Community Services.

#13 Wot*A*Lot*Of_____

Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:03 AM

DD18 is our 5th child but only the 4th to do her HSC.
Academically she passes but would probably get an even better mark if the exams were more vocal or practical.

She did 2 x 4.5hr English study sessions last week with the higher class(she had to fight to be there)because she felt she needed the extra help.
She has also done 2 x 4.5hr English study sessions this week.

She has done a PDHPE study session for 5hrs yesterday which only 3 kids turned up for. The teacher had printed out special booklets to help them study and with work in them. Now the kids who didn't turn up, want DD to take photos of the booklet for them. She told them no, because the ones who asked just couldn't be bothered getting out of bed to be there at 9am.

She has also done 4hrs of CAFS study which only a few turned up for.

She has her psychs number to ring if she feels she isn't coping, or she can get DH or I to ring him and make a time to see him.

All in all though, for a kid who has put up with so much over the last couple of years. She is doing pretty well.

#14 Sincerely

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:47 PM

Students that lean on others can be frustrating for the conscientious, but fifty percent of the HSC mark is calculated from the school based assessment. Helping classmates to perform better at the HSC external exams lifts the school's average which means everyone in that school's cohort gets a better assessment mark. My daughter constantly sent screenshots of her beautifully organised study notes to classmates during study vac. Most lazy individuals will find it harder to lean on others at Uni & in the workplace.

#15 Wot*A*Lot*Of_____

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:02 PM

At the moment we have 'THE BABY' home with us. I am so glad the teacher set it for Medium and not Difficult.. So it only wakes up every 3hrs or thereabouts. Took it shopping today and the looks DD got were just disgusting from most people.

#16 Coffeegirl

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:40 PM

What's 'the baby' NM??   Do you mean one of those animatronic ones?  What class is that for?

Forgot to add that it looks like DD will be doing English, Advanced English, Economics, Legal studies and general Math for her subjects next year.  She is still deciding if she continues with French as well.   Her English teacher is also trying to convince her to do Extension English as the main assessment is to write a major piece of fiction and creative writing has always been her forte, but she doesn't like the idea of doing a single major work like that

#17 lishermide

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:34 PM

My oldest is doing the HSC this year. It's a stressful time all round.

She's doing Extension English, Maths, Legal Studies, Visual Arts & Textiles. She's spent most of this holidays working on her two major works.

#18 Wot*A*Lot*Of_____

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:46 PM

View PostCoffeegirl, on 15 July 2017 - 06:40 PM, said:

What's 'the baby' NM??   Do you mean one of those animatronic ones?  What class is that for?

Forgot to add that it looks like DD will be doing English, Advanced English, Economics, Legal studies and general Math for her subjects next year.  She is still deciding if she continues with French as well.   Her English teacher is also trying to convince her to do Extension English as the main assessment is to write a major piece of fiction and creative writing has always been her forte, but she doesn't like the idea of doing a single major work like that
It's a battery operated baby that is preset to cry to be fed, changed, burped and given attention at all times of the day. Much like a real baby. When it cries you have to insert each of the four keys into its back, until you figure out why it cried. I took mersyndol last night so I thought I would sleep through its crying. Nooooooooo I still wake the minute I hear a baby crying.
DGS is loving his little friend Esmeralda(DD named her), and lays on the playmate chatting to her for ages.

#19 marple

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:59 PM

View PostCoffeegirl, on 15 July 2017 - 06:40 PM, said:

DS is similar. Starting the HSC in Term4. Doesn't it feel like they were just in Year 7?
I guess listen to the English teacher?

Mine is doing Advanced English, Legal Studies, Mathematics, Biology , Music and Business studies. Thinking he will drop one. It's hard to work out which one though.
My older boys weakest subject throughout school was maths though he was good at it he found it hard. He ended up doing General and it was his highest mark in the HSC ( so that is a good choice IME - though I have heard rumours they are going to change the grading!)
Funnily, after completing a Bachelor of Commerce he is now an Economist!

Edited by marple, 16 July 2017 - 11:00 PM.

#20 yabbadabbadoo

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:06 PM

Things are getting serious here.  DS has had three days of trial exams and then heads back to school next week for a week, then two weeks stuvac, then the real thing.  So much happening at the same time.  He has his driving test on Monday and we are popping down to Hobart for the day tomorrow because he has recently decided he wants to study there and we missed the open day...

#21 Nasty Teens

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:55 PM

DD has done her HSC trials and has her formal and graduation mass. Just the exams to go. She is ok but more reports for various unis and uac(?) on her disabilities and what she can't do/struggles with is heartbreaking for my beautiful, intelligent and insightful baby girl.

#22 JustBeige

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:46 PM

So we are on our home run now. she has her Physics exam this term and can focus on her other subjects.

She keeps having these dramatic moments where she says "omg, im in yr 12" :)

#23 ytt

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:38 PM

Very calm in our house... DS spends a lot of his day studying HSC - well in his study, can't be sure he is studying lol

He cried the night before graduation, he was so scared of going in to the real world :( he said he will miss the routine of school and will never have a recess or lunch again. I cried along with him and reassured that what ever happened there is a roof here and will always be a meal on the table :(

I just can't wait for it to be all over and find out the result...

#24 gettin my fance on

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:44 PM

DD is studying hard and attending lots of study sessions put on by her teachers at the local library during the holidays.  

Her subjects are Advanced English, Ancient History, Modern History, Society & Culture, Legal Studies and Studies of Religion.

She was surprised and delighted at graduation to get two firsts and last week she sent off her course preferences for uni next year.

It's all happening too, too fast now.

#25 gettin my fance on

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:02 PM

DD has known for yonks, but I've just found out that HSC results are out on her birthday!   :cry:

She's decided to wait until the day after to log in for her results.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.