Help - cat keeps peeing on the bed!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 kiarra67

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:39 AM

Hi All, I need some advise about my cat.

She's 15 and does have a rather long list of issues including renal disease, persistent UTI's, high blood pressure, heart murmur, stones and seizures (feline audiogenic reflex seizures).  Lately, she has started peeing on the bed.  I don't think it's accidental.  I walked behind her last night as we went to bed, she jumped on the bed and squatted and started weeing as soon as she was up there.  I kinda yelled and pushed at her, and she jumped off and ran to the litters to finish off.  We were at the vets earlier this week, where they redid her bloods and cultured her urine.  There is no sign of infection.  If anything she's doing better.  We know there are bugs in her kidneys, saw them on an ultrasound she had when she had a stone blocking her ureta, but until it comes up in her urine, we can't give her antibiotics (she's already resistant to amoxicillin).

I just don't know why this has started.  We have four cats and clean the litters morning and night, coz she does wee alot more than the others as she drinks so much more.  Nothing has really changed.  DD2 is 8 months and is trying to crawl, but Kiarra spends all day asleep on the bed and never sees her anyway.  

She does have a history of punishing me when I take her to the vet.  She usually sleeps up next to my pillow at night but has stopped doing that as well, and sleeps down with our other cat (she snuggles right in next to her and spoons, it's pretty cute :)  She's gotten a bit obsessed with drinking out of the shower after people have had a shower as well.  There's already three bowls of water around the place!

I just don't know what to do.  There's no UTI and no sign of inflammation, her urine was clear.  She's eating and drinking normally for her, and doesn't appear to be in pain.  

Anyone have any ideas??  Sorry for the essay, I might chuck a couple of lemons on the bed where she's been going.  I don't want to kick her off the bed as that's where she sleeps and she's still re-growing the fur on her tummy from the ultrasound, so gets cold easily.
Any help is very much appreciated :)  Thanks

#2 cvbn

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:56 AM

Try and keep that door closed.
My daughters cat kept wee-ing in my office chair. I put it outside when not is use and he forgot about it.

#3 avocado toast

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:27 AM

Get some feliway spray and spray that on the bed. Its good to calm them down and stops them weeing on/scratching things.

#4 born.a.girl

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:52 AM

Obviously a well-loved cat whose comfort has been prioritised!

Do you have spare quilt covers?  Has the wee gone through to the quilt?

If it's just the cover, in your shoes I'd use Urineoff on it.  I'd also leave it out in the weather for as long as you can.

With the water, I read once that cats can prefer things like the water in the shower, because it's been sitting in a hot water tank and things like chlorine smell have gone by the time it's there.

We did start at one stage putting the water for the indoor animals in a jug the night before, then using that during the day.  At that point we also had a cat not drinking out of the bowl, but looking for water elsewhere.  It did seem to make a difference from memory, but it was 20 years ago.

Good luck.

#5 Monden

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:57 AM

This could very well be your cat's reaction  to your crawling baby. She's probably more aware of the  baby than it seems. My adult cat had never had an accident until my son started crawling and she began urinating and defecating everywhere but the litter tray after that.

#6 kiarra67

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:12 AM

Thanks :-) she is a very special cat.  It doesn't seem to be cover related.  We've got 3 and she's wee'd on all of them.  you're probably right with the stress.  I might get some feliway.  I've got some Jackson galaxy stuff as well I might try in the meantime

#7 born.a.girl

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:42 AM

The problem is once she's weed on them, normal detergent doesn't stop a cat from being able to smell it afterwards.

I believe detergents like Biozet contain something similar to Urineoff - the enzyme that neutralises the wee so they can't smell it.

I believe you can also get waterproof covers for your quilt, so any wee doesn't go any further than the quilt cover.  Would have thought they might get a bit hot and sweaty though.  (The humans under the quilt that is, not the cats!)

#8 *Spikey*

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:25 PM

Change is bad for kitties, so it could be your baby being more mobile. But it's most likely to be a litter box issue or failing continence.

If she's peeing a lot more than in the past, it may no longer be clean enough, as the urine volume is spreading through more of the litter. I'd be inclined to add an additional lettre box to the house, somewhere she can easily and quickly get to it.  That would also be helpful if it's incontience, she may not be able to hold on as long between the urge to go and starting to go. It's a fairly common outcome for ageing cats.

My two responded well to Feliway, we have the plug in diffusers. It's worth a shot.

Oh, use a UV/black light on the quilt, to see if it has been cleaned properly by your machine. Cat pee glows under UV light - so you should get an idea if you need to step up the cleaning.

You need an enzyme based detergent, like biozet or napisan (for nappies), because they destroy the protein that creates the scent trail. Or urine off.

If it's into the fibres of a quilt, you may not be able to get it out, so be prepared to toss it.

#9 kiarra67

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:44 AM

Yeah, I've washed all the sheets and covers in nappisan.  I think the quilt is ok.  It has to be, it's a 100% duck down coz I get cold (canberra)!

I've been spraying some Jackson Galaxy stuff around and putting her in the litter tray at night and she goes straight away.  So now I'm toilet training both a toddler and a cat!  I haven't had much luck with feliway in the past, doesn't seem to work as well with female cats

#10 Neeps

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:05 AM

We had a cat that did this. Unfortunately it was anxiety related and we struggled to find a solution. She also obsessively sought water to drink. She was not a happy kitty and became completely increasingly incontinent - including fecally.

I would explore anxiety treatments.

#11 cvbn

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:13 AM

When my last cat was very elderly we swopped her basket for a baby bath (all the same bedding) she felt cozy but the wee was contained. Much easier to clean up.

#12 *Spikey*

Posted 24 June 2017 - 03:45 PM

get it dry cleaned asap. And I hear you about the cold.....

Edited by *Spikey*, 24 June 2017 - 03:45 PM.

#13 AdelTwins

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:55 PM

We had a dog that got Cushing's disease. He drank loads of water and would obviously pee more. Towards the end he couldn't get outside and he would just do it wherever.

http://m.petmd.com/c...orticism?page=1

#14 Coffeegirl

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:04 PM

Depending on the type of material used as a cover on your down quilt, you can hot wash a lot of them in your regular machine.   Check the label to be sure.

Then just hang in the sun to dry.   Some can be fluff dried in dryers as well.  

**. I worked for a linen manufacturer and have washed all my duck and goose down quilts without a problem.  But it depends on the cover material used.

#15 Silver Girl

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:08 PM

We had an elderly cat who had multiple health issues and would wee on the carpet. We ended up putting Connie mats on the floor and she would use those (she showed no interest in her clean litter tray).

Could you put Connie mats on the bed and wash them with BioZet?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

How dare anyone accuse a mum of 'milking' a miscarriage

A heartless comment from a stranger shocked the already devastated radio host Em Rusciano.

How breast milk can help relieve your baby's teething pain

Try one mum's simple parenting hack to ease your baby's discomfort.

Top 10 common health myths busted

To help combat the misinformation and spread good health, here are the most common health myths compared to fact.

How to make flying with a toddler more bearable

After almost three years of living in Canada, it was time to pack our bags, bundle up our three children (including our two and a half year old Toddler) and pray to the heavens above, before flying to Aussie Land to see our family and friends.

Breastfeeding may help with caesarean pain, says new study

Breastfeeding after a caesarean section may help manage persistent pain, finds new research on the post-birth experience of new mothers.

Recall notice: fourth cot recalled in less than one month

A recall notice has been issued for yet another cot sold in Australia -the White New Zealand Pine 3-in-1 Baby Sleigh Cot Bed with Drawers.

A baby girl, a baffling disease - and the only way to help her is to hurt her

Every morning, Kevin Federici pulls on a head lamp, sterilises a sewing needle and prepares to prick his baby girl all over her tiny body.

If you make your own baby food you'll love this Instagram account

Tired of making carrot purée? Take a look at this mum's homemade baby food creations.

The unique baby names literally no one is choosing

After a unique baby name for your little one? Here are the monikers no one chose in 2016.

'It's such a boost': mum receives 'thanks for breastfeeding in public' card

It was the boost one mum needed at just the right time.

Sharing makes young children happy - just don't force them

There are many emotional benefits to sharing, but only if it's voluntary.

5 ways to a healthy pregnancy

An easy pregnancy that results in a healthy baby: that's the dream.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.