Meals on holidays?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Hands Up

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:19 AM

So we are going on our first proper holiday since having kids. They will be 3 and about to turn 2.

We will be in self-contained apartments most of the time... you know the type, where they are well set up but don't exactly have a vast array of cooking appliances etc.

Anyway, I just want to enjoy this holiday! We will go out to dinner probably 2-3 times over the 8 nights but need to eat at home the other nights for budget reasons....

What are some easy meals that you cook when you are away? I'm not that bothered about hugely balanced meals. Its only a short time. I want to be able to cook things in fifteen minutes or less that typical toddlers will actually eat!

We will be having sandwiches and fruit on the go most lunch times.

#2 nori_roll

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:21 AM

Pasta with a nice stir through sauce (jamie Oliver ones are nice) and some salad. Burgers. They are usually popular in our house and easy.

Edited by nori_roll, 20 June 2017 - 08:22 AM.

#3 sahmie

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:47 AM

Hotdogs done in the microwave, and 2 min noodles might get you a few meals done for the kids (and you if you can stomach them :D)
Otherwise I'd look at things like Cesar salads with a roast chook from the deli, and things you don't necessarily 'cook'.

#4 Phoebe_Aus

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:50 AM

Eggs on toast. Glam it up with scrambled eggs with some feta & spinach?
Tinned spaghetti/baked beans.

#5 Starletta

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:04 AM

Pesto (from a jar) pasta with frozen vegies
Ham/avo/tomato/cheese open grills
BBQ Chicken and salad

#6 overlytired

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:04 AM

Vacation rental kitchens are usually quite disappointing.

This recipe is easy and only needs one medium-sized pot. Nothing fancy but well-received:
http://www.simplyscr...et-lasagna.html

Chicken with potatoes and veggies roasted on one tray
Individual pizzas (on a greek pita or naan)
Omelettes

#7 Frau

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:39 AM

Small tin of tuna, quick cup rice, some grated cheese, maybe some frozen veggies, and heat in the microwave (very quick). Stir. My kids love it.

Attached Files

#8 Therese

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:46 AM

Tacos are a quick and easy meal.

#9 seayork2002

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:46 AM

chili (mince, mushroom, capsicum, tin toms, old elpaso, kidney beans, cheese on top and sour cream served with doritos)

Beef strogganoff (packet mix, meat, onion, mushroom - serve with whatever)

Most of the time we eat a large lunch then just have sandwiches, cheese/crackers etc. on the evening

Oh for DS (and I do this at home) I get a tin of tuna in savoury sauce or tomato & onion put some frozen veg and pasta or 2 min noodles minus the flavouring sachet

Edited by seayork2002, 20 June 2017 - 09:53 AM.

#10 lozoodle

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:57 AM

Are there BBQs where you are staying? If we go away and stay in we often just get some sausages & cook them up on the bbq and have with rolls and salad. Cheap and easy and quick.

We tend to go out for most dinners, but generally have breakfast & lunch supplies on hand where we stay.

#11 Ice Queen

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:01 AM

It's hard to know until you get there and see how good/bad functional the kitchen is.  I find they are mostly dreadful and you can't even so much as heat up a frozen pizza.  I wouldn't plan on using things that can be cooked in an oven until I'd checked it.

Our main go to is using the bbq if there is one or a communal bbq area.  So salad, sausages for the kids, steak for the adults or chicken kebabs, potatoes and onions, I've even grilled garlic bread.  You could do burgers.  I also like that you get outside, kids can run around while dinner is cooking.

A nice gourmet cold platter is probably my next choice - nice meats, cheese, crusty bread, salad, antipasto, olives, that kind of stuff.

I hate cooking in holiday units, i spend so much money on the basics (olive oil, butter, salt, pepper etc) and often the results are terrible as the cooking facilities are hopeless.  I think that I'm a fussy cook probably doesn't help.  My expectations of myself are too high!!

#12 can'tstayaway

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:26 AM

Are you driving there?

If so, make some freezer meals at home and take them to reheat. Use the disposable foil trays or Takeaway containers so no extra washing up or remembering which container is yours and which belongs to the unit.

I do a variation of a Neil Perry pasta salad recipe. I buy a roast chook, chop up the meat and mix with a tub of good quality aioli, chopped up celery, avocado, pine nuts, cherry tomatoes, pickled artichoke hearts, and some cooked spiral pasta (usually cook extra from a previous meal to save hassle). Mix it all up and an easy, tasty pasta salad is ready in no time.

#13 Ice Queen

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:19 AM

View Postcan, on 20 June 2017 - 10:26 AM, said:

If so, make some freezer meals at home and take them to reheat. Use the disposable foil trays or Takeaway containers so no extra washing up or remembering which container is yours and which belongs to the unit.

See I wouldn't do that unless I knew that I had an oven that worked.  I suppose you could heat in a microwave.  Last unit I stayed in didn't actually have an oven and in a previous one i couldn't even get fish fingers cooked through.  Another one the oven was broken and my mum had brought this huge delicious lasagne (a microwave would have been hopeless) and we had to take it to an empty unit and keep going backwards and forwards until it was done.

I'm very wary of ovens and self contained holiday units!  Never ever rely upon it.

#14 Hands Up

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:31 PM

We are not driving.... but staying in Australia so all the brands etc will be familiar.

Good point about the oven, and I hadn't even thought about the BBQ (duh). Will have to see if we have one.

We are staying in a resort that is both a hotel and apartments so breakfast is included which is pretty cool. We might take it on as a family challenge to eat as much as possible!

Thanks for the ideas everyone!

#15 sahmie

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:16 PM

View PostHands Up, on 20 June 2017 - 12:31 PM, said:

We are not driving.... but staying in Australia so all the brands etc will be familiar.

Good point about the oven, and I hadn't even thought about the BBQ (duh). Will have to see if we have one.

We are staying in a resort that is both a hotel and apartments so breakfast is included which is pretty cool. We might take it on as a family challenge to eat as much as possible!

Thanks for the ideas everyone!

If buffet style, we always grab our fruit snacks for the day, and maybe a couple of pastries if they have them ;)

#16 ekbaby

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:24 PM

At home I normally cook from scratch but when on holidays do more of those ready meals or kits

Eg Taco/burrito kit
Fresh tortellini/agnolotti with pre made sauce
BBQ- steak, sausages, chicken kebabs etc- with a pre-made potato salad, coleslaw or a "bag" salad kit
BBQ chicken, rolls and salad (bought as a kit, again)

It's a bit more expensive but you end up with less food waste so probably worth it in the end

#17 hills mum bec

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:44 PM

View Postekbaby, on 20 June 2017 - 02:24 PM, said:

At home I normally cook from scratch but when on holidays do more of those ready meals or kits

Eg Taco/burrito kit
Fresh tortellini/agnolotti with pre made sauce
BBQ- steak, sausages, chicken kebabs etc- with a pre-made potato salad, coleslaw or a "bag" salad kit
BBQ chicken, rolls and salad (bought as a kit, again)

It's a bit more expensive but you end up with less food waste so probably worth it in the end

This sounds exactly the same as our holiday menus.  We will also do chicken curry with a sauce from a jar with the pre cooked rice that you microwave.

#18 littlemen

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:53 PM

I have stayed in many holiday apartments with working ovens & cooktops- I must be in the minority 😊

I do most of the meals already mentioned. I wanted to add oven fries & chicken tenders (if oven works). BBQ are my main go to, we pack a reusable BBQ cooking sheet so that we don't have to clean the BBQ afterwards or incase we are in a park & it is filthy!

I also make a stir fry using a frozen bag of stir fry vege's, sachet of stir fry sauce & beef/chicken strips.

I don't mind cooking when we are away because it is quick & there is no rush- no after school activities or homework!

Enjoy your holiday.

#19 BBC

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:07 PM

Wraps are your friend.
Eggs, bacon and baked beans.
BLTs
Fresh pasta and a stir through sauce.
Tinned soup with toasted sandwiches

If the oven works
Oven baked fish and chips or nuggets and chips
Pies and pasties with chips or wedges and boiled veg
Oven baked veg like potato, sweet potato pumpkin, cauliflower with pan fried fish or bought roast chicken.
Quiche and salad
Nachos

#20 F.E.B.E

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:25 PM

On holidays we tend to have a big lunch while out and then a simpler evening meal. Some standard ones:
  • Chicken wraps (bbq chicken makes it even faster)
  • Latina pasta (ravioli etc) and sauce
  • BBQ meat/fish and salad
  • Cheese on toast or toasties

#21 Mumsyto2

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:26 PM

Our go to when the kids were young in this situation were BBQ's.
We would eat out a third of the time, get cheap take away a third of the time (a BBQ chook and chips, fish & chips etc) and cook sausage sandwiches/kebab sticks on the BBQ for the other third. No salad or veg in sight for most of the time except for the adults on the nights we ate out, kids had good old nuggets and chips so they would go the whole holiday without. Everyone survived.

Edited by Mumsyto2, 20 June 2017 - 09:26 PM.

#22 carls888

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:53 AM

We do the opposite and go out for lunch then eat dinner at home.

I also do simple, easy, not really cooking meals for our holidays as I wasn't a rest too. At home I cook everything from scratch.

I do take homemade biscuits and snacks with us.

But for dinner we eat more of an assembled meal:

.roast chicken and salad from a bag.
.cheese and crackers with olives, dips, cold meat.
.frozen chips/wedges (I have never had a problem with any ovens either)...
.homemade pasta from a market with some olive oil and parmesan or pesto
.toast made from yummy bread
.eggs and toast
.toasted sandwiches
.leftovers from lunch that we doggybag up
.sushi (bought)

We never use the bbq as normally I have to clean it before and after and I cannot be bothered.

Our main meal is lunch and we eat breakfast in the holiday house as well. After a long day romping around we are happy to chill in the evenings usually. We do make exceptions to this and go with the flow.

#23 Beancat

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:23 AM

have been on many an apartment type trip and find the kitchens not too bad.  Our go to meals are

BBQ and salad  - most nights
spag bol
roast chook an salad
burgers
tacos/burritos
eggs on toast
home made pita pizzas

#24 unicycle

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:29 AM

anything from the freezer that goes in the oven: party pies and chips
sausage rolls and chips
lasagne
fish fingers
samosas
buy baking paper to cut down on washing up.

It improves life by a million per cent for me

#25 Freyja

Posted 22 June 2017 - 01:28 AM

Two of our holiday 'treat' dinners are toasties made in the pan with butter and french toast. Cheap, quick and easy - perfect for holidays as mum doesn't have to work too hard and the kids are happy to eat!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

How dare anyone accuse a mum of 'milking' a miscarriage

A heartless comment from a stranger shocked the already devastated radio host Em Rusciano.

How breast milk can help relieve your baby's teething pain

Try one mum's simple parenting hack to ease your baby's discomfort.

Top 10 common health myths busted

To help combat the misinformation and spread good health, here are the most common health myths compared to fact.

How to make flying with a toddler more bearable

After almost three years of living in Canada, it was time to pack our bags, bundle up our three children (including our two and a half year old Toddler) and pray to the heavens above, before flying to Aussie Land to see our family and friends.

Breastfeeding may help with caesarean pain, says new study

Breastfeeding after a caesarean section may help manage persistent pain, finds new research on the post-birth experience of new mothers.

Recall notice: fourth cot recalled in less than one month

A recall notice has been issued for yet another cot sold in Australia -the White New Zealand Pine 3-in-1 Baby Sleigh Cot Bed with Drawers.

A baby girl, a baffling disease - and the only way to help her is to hurt her

Every morning, Kevin Federici pulls on a head lamp, sterilises a sewing needle and prepares to prick his baby girl all over her tiny body.

If you make your own baby food you'll love this Instagram account

Tired of making carrot purée? Take a look at this mum's homemade baby food creations.

The unique baby names literally no one is choosing

After a unique baby name for your little one? Here are the monikers no one chose in 2016.

'It's such a boost': mum receives 'thanks for breastfeeding in public' card

It was the boost one mum needed at just the right time.

Sharing makes young children happy - just don't force them

There are many emotional benefits to sharing, but only if it's voluntary.

5 ways to a healthy pregnancy

An easy pregnancy that results in a healthy baby: that's the dream.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.