Hospital bag essentials?

27 replies to this topic

#1 T&B+JuneBug

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:26 AM

I'm a week out from my due date and still haven't really packed a hospital bag yet! I've read through a few lists on pinterest but I end up slightly overwhelmed by them all. :unsure:

What were the essentials for yourself, partner and bub?
What did you wish you had packed?
What could you have lived without?

I just need some ideas :smile:

Thanks in advance

#2 sahmie

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:08 AM

I'm going minimal for my third:

Partner can take care of himself, but I will get him to bring in my good camera and take it home again.

- Change for vending machines
- charger for phones/ipad, earbuds and wifi dongle
- day clothes I can sleep in (comfy hoodies and track pants)
- pads (or incontinece knickers - don't knock them, they're great for the first few days)
- lip balm and moisturiser
- nipple cream
- notepad and pen (make lists of people you need to thank etc)
- basic toiletries

- nappies
- one or two muslin wraps (I'm having a summer baby)
- two or three onesies
- hat
- mittens if the onesies don't fold over

That's all I can think of atm, won't be taking much for bub. They don't need skin care products etc.

#3 PaperCats

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:13 PM

Take a drink bottle. You will get thirsty and those tiny cups they give you don't cut it.

#4 HolyCow

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:19 PM

A cheap pack of high-cut briefs with full gussets! Cheap because you won't care what happens to them, full brief in case you have an emergency caesar and a full gusset in case of an assisted vaginal delivery!

Lip balm, drink bottle, maternity pads, nappies, basic toiletries like a toothbrush, some baby clothes, something loose and comfortable to wear in bed and something loose and comfortable to wear when you get up/are going home.

#5 Lunafreya

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:24 PM

Poise pads, get the overnight ones as they're nice and long and thick. They're great as they're waterproof, pee goes straight through regular maternity pads.

Also look at getting nighties like this. They're way better than hospital gowns and you can slips breastpads in the cups and the bottom is nice and loose. I loved these for breastfeeding! They're also in many colours.

http://www.brasnthin...de-slip-navy-17

#6 ~Nasty_Jodama~

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:29 PM

Pens. So you can fill out paperwork and do the puzzles in the magazines.

#7 fluffybun

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:37 PM

as mentioned by a PP the incontinence undies were the best for those first few days just toss them straight in the bin when you are done using them and go the next size up than you would need so there is plenty of room for any ice blocks that might be needed down there ;) also hydrogel disc pads were amazing and some comfy clothes that you can sleep in in the day but still feel like you have gotten out of your pjs :)

I packed a separate little bag for labour with snacks for DH and some board shorts as I had wanted a bath/shower during labour and the hospital said he would have to wear them, my labour ended up being so fast the bag remained unopened until a few hours after our baby had arrived and I was going to have a shower :D

#8 Hands Up

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:39 PM

Comfy clothes and pjs - for me that was tracksuit pants, hoodies, tshirts, thick socks etc.

Lots of underwear, bras etc.

Maternity pads.

Flushable wipes. They are NOT flushable, but I found that during that heavy first week being able to feel clean every time I changed the pad was great. I didn't use them past the first week.

All your usual toiletries plus nipple cream. Dry shampoo also good if you can't be stuffed doing full hair wash. Depends how long you are in I suppose.

Water bottle plus snacks.

Phone and charger.

Magazines. You never know! Or a Kindle.

Find out what your hospital provides for baby. All I needed was a going home outfit, and because I wanted to use love to dreams I took a few of those in too.

#9 4lilchicks

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:48 PM

Something I found helpful was to make up a plastic bag that had a nappy, wipes, singlet, wrap, hat and outfit in it for bub so DP could just grab the bag after baby was born and he wasnt rummaging through the main suitcase looking for things.  I also made myself a bag for after the birth so I could just grab the bag and head for the shower. It had a pad, undies, bra, clothes, toothpaste/toothbrush and other toiletries in it. I found this helpful as I could just bolt to the shower afterwards rather than having to search for what I needed.

Edited by 4lilchicks, 19 June 2017 - 08:48 PM.

#10 Lou-bags

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:55 PM

4lilchicks, on 19 June 2017 - 08:48 PM, said:

I also made myself a bag for after the birth so I could just grab the bag and head for the shower. It had a pad, undies, bra, clothes, toothpaste/toothbrush and other toiletries in it. I found this helpful as I could just bolt to the shower afterwards rather than having to search for what I needed.

This is a great idea. DH had to rummage through my suitcase why I stood in the shower bleeding waiting for him to find undies and a maternity pad (he initially brought me the box of breast pads that had me and midwife in hysterics- he was a good sport about it luckily). A grab bag with those immediately post birth shower bits and pieces would be perfect! Noting this down should I ever convince DH to go back for a third!!

#11 harryhoo

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:06 PM

I had one bag for labour with food, chargers, music etc  and one for post-birth stay.
Toiletries - face wipes and dry shampoo incase you can't quite make it to the shower (I had some pretty rough births) as well as usual suspects. Maternity pads and breastpads.
Clothes - loose pyjama/trackie bottoms incase you have a catheter. Breastfeeding singlets, slippers or warm socks. Cheap big undies. Something relaxed but nice to go home in. It's nice to have a shower and feel like a real person when you leave.
Extras - syringes from chemist. If you have a few and there are any breastfeeding problems, you can express colostrum into them to feed bub.
Baby - my 2 both wore the hospital gowns for first couple of days. And then just singlet and onesies. Nappies and wipes (hospitals usually have one small packet). Beanie.

#12 EMM1979

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:09 PM

Extra long charger cord - the power points are always in weird places!

#13 Hey what.@

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:13 PM

I agree about having a bag for the birth suite and another for the maternity ward..... separate the different needs for the different stages of your hospital stay.

For me, I took my own pillow/s..... especially as I got attached to my body pillow!!

Oh, and either thongs or slippers :)

#14 Hey what.@

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:17 PM

I also took a little battery powered light.... you can get them from the home hardware section of Coles / Woolworths.

I used this at home for night feeds too. Easy to keep close / turn on / off and dim by flipping it upside down or placing a breast pad on top to dim the light.

#15 ainira

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:23 PM

If you're staying at the hospital for a few days, things to set up a nappy change station in the room, e.g. Change mat, change pad (if setting it up on the table), newborn nappies, wipes.

I've found nappy changes too messy to do in the bassinet.

#16 Teds

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:32 PM

Anything that is forgotten your birth partner or family / friends can bring in later. This was a godsend for us as our baby was a spewy baby and we ran out of wipes pretty quickly.

On the way home, we went via BigW to pick up things I didn't think I would need too. Like a breast pump, bottles, formula and a steriliser. And an ottoman to put my feet up as they were swollen. We got the breast feeding up, but it took two weeks of mixed feeding to fully get it going. And again, this stuff can be gotten after baby arrives, if and when it is needed. So perhaps have some money available during and after the stay, in case you need things like this.

#17 More cheese Gromit

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:53 PM

I'm a minimalist, I took one supermarket green bag and my pillow

Bag with toothbrushes, toothpaste (mini tube) soap, moisturiser and lip balm

2 pairs of black lounge wear, really just good quality black jammies, I bought ones that looked like day clothes

Undies and two bras, reusable bamboo Brest pads

Blankie and two changes of clothes for baby

One change of clothes for hubby

Phone charger

my things were in seperate zip loc bags so I could just grab one out

As were the baby things and hubbies things and the wash bag things

#18 Nasty Bunsen

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:53 PM

Toilet roll - really good quality, super soft, triple quilted Rolls Royce toilet paper - hospital grade is not good on the post partum perineum!

#19 babybug15

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:12 PM

Lots of good ideas from PPs. I'll add-

Check what the hospital provides- at ours they gave a packet of nappies & wipes so we didn't need to bring them. Plus they had little gowns for the baby so we only had to bring a going home outfit.

Also see if they have speakers for iPod or CD player etc for music?

Comfy footwear of some variety as well as comfy clothes. I found it cold so also warm socks.

Knickers you don't mind getting stained/ruined.

Lollies are good for a short burst of energy whilst labouring- so barley sugars, jelly babies etc

#20 T&B+JuneBug

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:02 AM

Thanks everyone, this has been super helpful and pointed out some things I hadn't thought of.

Regarding baby clothes: Do I pack both 0000 & 000 just incase he's a bigger bub?

#21 ~Nasty_Jodama~

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:08 AM

A couple of both. You can get extra brought in if needed.  2 of mine went straight into 000s!

#22 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:20 AM

Don't stress over it too much. Anything that is forgotten or not considered can be brought in by visitors/partner. One suggestion from experience - I bought some cheap undies and pre-loaded them with pads then put them in individual zip lock bags. Saved faffing around for the first couple of toilet visits.

#23 life is uncertain

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:35 AM

Make the water bottle a pop top. My DH bought me in a nice big bottle of water but it had a screw cap. Not ideal for 1 handed opening when your trying to juggle a baby too. He came back the next day with a pop top one :)
I agree with separate bags and your own pillow

#24 Lou-bags

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:06 AM

0000 should be fine.

My boys were 9 pound and 9 pound 7, and they both wore 0000 for at least 2-3 weeks (by which time both were 5+kg). Does depend on brand and style I suppose, and how you like the fit.

#25 Bird1

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:34 AM

Snacks as it didn't seem to matter how often the meals were in hospital I was hungry all the time

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

How dare anyone accuse a mum of 'milking' a miscarriage

A heartless comment from a stranger shocked the already devastated radio host Em Rusciano.

How breast milk can help relieve your baby's teething pain

Try one mum's simple parenting hack to ease your baby's discomfort.

Top 10 common health myths busted

To help combat the misinformation and spread good health, here are the most common health myths compared to fact.

How to make flying with a toddler more bearable

After almost three years of living in Canada, it was time to pack our bags, bundle up our three children (including our two and a half year old Toddler) and pray to the heavens above, before flying to Aussie Land to see our family and friends.

Breastfeeding may help with caesarean pain, says new study

Breastfeeding after a caesarean section may help manage persistent pain, finds new research on the post-birth experience of new mothers.

Recall notice: fourth cot recalled in less than one month

A recall notice has been issued for yet another cot sold in Australia -the White New Zealand Pine 3-in-1 Baby Sleigh Cot Bed with Drawers.

A baby girl, a baffling disease - and the only way to help her is to hurt her

Every morning, Kevin Federici pulls on a head lamp, sterilises a sewing needle and prepares to prick his baby girl all over her tiny body.

If you make your own baby food you'll love this Instagram account

Tired of making carrot purée? Take a look at this mum's homemade baby food creations.

The unique baby names literally no one is choosing

After a unique baby name for your little one? Here are the monikers no one chose in 2016.

'It's such a boost': mum receives 'thanks for breastfeeding in public' card

It was the boost one mum needed at just the right time.

Sharing makes young children happy - just don't force them

There are many emotional benefits to sharing, but only if it's voluntary.

5 ways to a healthy pregnancy

An easy pregnancy that results in a healthy baby: that's the dream.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.