School for DD with GDD in Western Sydney

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Steph19

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:59 PM

DD has a global developmen delay and starts school in 2019. We were always going to send her to a local catholic but since the diagnosis things have changed. The paed and OT recommend Public and said she'll get way more funding. The catholic school has very little support.
I don't particular like our local public though and not sure how we'll go with an out of area enrollment. I have met with rhe councillor at the local publuc as they may get her an early intervention school readiness class once a week next year.

The school is pushing for me to enrol her in a special ed unit (IO class). I'm actually against it ans would prefer her in mainstream as she doesn't have behavioural issues, but would need an aide for her learning delays. Would I get a teachers aide if they only want me to send her into the special needs class?? Can I request this??
Also, as its a GDD, what if she eventually does catch up enough that her disability isn't recognised anymore?? Do they just move her into a mainstream class??

#2 José

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:10 PM

Students in nsw public schools are not funded on the basis of GDD.
An IQ test would need to be administered or at least attempted. There can be different levels of delay with GDD.
With the mention of an IO class that suggests they are thinking your daughter may meet criteria for a moderate intellectual disability. Criteria includes IQ and an adaptive behaviour measure.
Students with a moderate intellectual disability are able to apply for funding in nsw public schools.
IF your child does have a moderate intellectual disability it's unlikely they would 'catch up' to their peers.
Whatever you decide, it doesn't have to be forever. You could try mainstream and if it isn't working apply for a support class then. Or you can start with a support class, if eligible, and if you aren't happy with that you can change back to mainstream at any time.
Hope that is helpful.

#3 MadnessCraves

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:02 PM

I'd check with catholic schools if you're in NSW. My mum used to work for catholic Ed supporting children with disabilities, and worked very closely with students and getting them support for classes.

Now it's been a while, but I don't think that service has disappeared. I'd be having a look into it, the OT may not be correctly informed.

#4 WreckTangle

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:39 PM

View PostJosé, on 17 June 2017 - 04:10 PM, said:

Students in nsw public schools are not funded on the basis of GDD.
An IQ test would need to be administered or at least attempted. There can be different levels of delay with GDD.
With the mention of an IO class that suggests they are thinking your daughter may meet criteria for a moderate intellectual disability. Criteria includes IQ and an adaptive behaviour measure.
Students with a moderate intellectual disability are able to apply for funding in nsw public schools.
IF your child does have a moderate intellectual disability it's unlikely they would 'catch up' to their peers.
Whatever you decide, it doesn't have to be forever. You could try mainstream and if it isn't working apply for a support class then. Or you can start with a support class, if eligible, and if you aren't happy with that you can change back to mainstream at any time.
Hope that is helpful.
hopefully my question will help the op if you know the answer to this. Where can one find the criteria that is used to determine who is accepted for funding for an ID?

#5 José

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:47 PM

View PostWreckTangle, on 17 June 2017 - 06:39 PM, said:

hopefully my question will help the op if you know the answer to this. Where can one find the criteria that is used to determine who is accepted for funding for an ID?

As far as I know there isn't anything specific that's published about this.
In nsw public schools students with severe and moderate intellectual disability in mainstream school would get some level of funding.
A student with a mild intellectual disability would usually only get funding if they had additional disabilities impacting their ability to participate in schooling eg ASD, a mental health condition like anxiety, oppositional defiant disorder etc, or a physical disability.

ETA an adaptive behaviour measure like an ABAS would be necessary to demonstrate ID.

Edited by José, 17 June 2017 - 06:50 PM.

#6 WreckTangle

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:36 PM

View PostJosé, on 17 June 2017 - 06:47 PM, said:

As far as I know there isn't anything specific that's published about this.
In nsw public schools students with severe and moderate intellectual disability in mainstream school would get some level of funding.
A student with a mild intellectual disability would usually only get funding if they had additional disabilities impacting their ability to participate in schooling eg ASD, a mental health condition like anxiety, oppositional defiant disorder etc, or a physical disability.

ETA an adaptive behaviour measure like an ABAS would be necessary to demonstrate ID.
the only information I found was as follows:
DET determines eligibility for PSD funding according to the following criteria:
A. Sub-average general intellectual functioning which is demonstrated by a full-scale score of
two standard deviations or more below the mean score on a standardised individual test
of general intelligence;
AND
B. Significant deficits in adaptive behaviour established by a composite score of two standard
deviations or more below the mean on an approved standardised test of adaptive
behaviour;
AND
C. A history and evidence of an ongoing problem with an expectation of continuation during the school years.

As far as how much funding, I haven't been able to find any information on that specifically.

ABAS would only be necessary if the iq is two standard deviations below average (for funding), in op's case she already knows that information I gather as there is a diagnosis?

I'm probably stating what you already know but it's helping me make sense of it all (going through the process ATM with my little one).

#7 WreckTangle

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:51 PM

Ok I know I am posting a lot but this may assist with making a decision and I am leaning towards saying public is better for a number of reasons but I won't give them to you as I may be a bit pessimistic at the moment. I found a link and something stood out to me:

'Your child should get the support they need in school, whether or not they are eligible for extra funding. The education department says that the support they get should not depend on their level of funding.'

And the link to read is:

http://acd.org.au/ho...rks-in-schools/

If you go to the section in the above link titled 'What the extra funding can pay for', this may assist with your decision.

#8 José

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:40 PM

View PostWreckTangle, on 17 June 2017 - 07:36 PM, said:

As far as how much funding, I haven't been able to find any information on that specifically.

ABAS would only be necessary if the iq is two standard deviations below average (for funding), in op's case she already knows that information I gather as there is a diagnosis?

You wont find specific information on how much funding.

The OP said their child has a GDD diagnosis. That's usually on the basis of something like a Griffiths.
A Griffiths is not an iq assessment.
The OPs child will most likely need an iq assessment prior to starting school to clarifying eligibility for support class or funding

#9 José

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:44 PM

View PostWreckTangle, on 17 June 2017 - 07:51 PM, said:

Ok I know I am posting a lot but this may assist with making a decision and I am leaning towards saying public is better for a number of reasons but I won't give them to you as I may be a bit pessimistic at the moment. I found a link and something stood out to me:

'Your child should get the support they need in school, whether or not they are eligible for extra funding. The education department says that the support they get should not depend on their level of funding.'

And the link to read is:

http://acd.org.au/ho...rks-in-schools/

If you go to the section in the above link titled 'What the extra funding can pay for', this may assist with your decision.

That link looks like its a victorian site.  Some of the information does not translate to nsw.
There is a bit of variability beteen states.

However its true to say that schools should  make reasonable adjustments to cater for students whether or not additional funding is attracted

#10 Steph19

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:07 PM

Thanks all. She does have a GDD based on Griffiths, but the local school have placed an "expiry" on this disability for the end of 2019.(I met with their councillor). This means she is already eligible to apply for the IO class for kindy. The school are actually encouraging it, but I don't really want to.
Some stage (either next yr if I decide or at least in 2019) she needs an IQ test. Paed said she's still too young but is high risk for an intellectual disability  (however no idea what!).
Still praying she manages to catch up somewhat.

#11 Steph19

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:08 PM

By "Kindy" I mean first year of school as we are in NSW

#12 José

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:13 AM

Ok.
So the current paperwork with the 2019 expiry could be used to apply for funding support or a support class.
You wont know the exact amount of funding support until you get feedback from the application.  Its up to the local school to do the application.
Support classes mean much smaller class sizes. This is more significant as students get older. In kindy in theory there is a cap of 20 students in a mainstream class by year 6 its 30 kids.
Support classes are not exclusively for those with behaviour problems.  
In this situation the school can make recommendations but the decision to go support class or mainstream is yours.

#13 HoneyMurcott

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:18 PM

You'll need a Disability Confirmation which will 'classify' your daughter's disability. The school counsellor usually arranges this. Then the school will submit an Access Request. You will be looking for funding under the Integration Funding Support Program to support her in mainstream. The criteria is strict but the funding is there.
https://education.ns...funding-support

#14 José

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:59 AM

View PostHoneyMurcott, on 18 June 2017 - 10:18 PM, said:

You'll need a Disability Confirmation which will 'classify' your daughter's disability. The school counsellor usually arranges this.

From the OPs posts it sounds like thats already been done

#15 WreckTangle

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:35 AM

View PostJosé, on 19 June 2017 - 01:59 AM, said:

From the OPs posts it sounds like thats already been done
seems like that funding is only if you go to a public school. That's what I read in the link provided.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

How dare anyone accuse a mum of 'milking' a miscarriage

A heartless comment from a stranger shocked the already devastated radio host Em Rusciano.

How breast milk can help relieve your baby's teething pain

Try one mum's simple parenting hack to ease your baby's discomfort.

Top 10 common health myths busted

To help combat the misinformation and spread good health, here are the most common health myths compared to fact.

How to make flying with a toddler more bearable

After almost three years of living in Canada, it was time to pack our bags, bundle up our three children (including our two and a half year old Toddler) and pray to the heavens above, before flying to Aussie Land to see our family and friends.

Breastfeeding may help with caesarean pain, says new study

Breastfeeding after a caesarean section may help manage persistent pain, finds new research on the post-birth experience of new mothers.

Recall notice: fourth cot recalled in less than one month

A recall notice has been issued for yet another cot sold in Australia -the White New Zealand Pine 3-in-1 Baby Sleigh Cot Bed with Drawers.

A baby girl, a baffling disease - and the only way to help her is to hurt her

Every morning, Kevin Federici pulls on a head lamp, sterilises a sewing needle and prepares to prick his baby girl all over her tiny body.

If you make your own baby food you'll love this Instagram account

Tired of making carrot purée? Take a look at this mum's homemade baby food creations.

The unique baby names literally no one is choosing

After a unique baby name for your little one? Here are the monikers no one chose in 2016.

'It's such a boost': mum receives 'thanks for breastfeeding in public' card

It was the boost one mum needed at just the right time.

Sharing makes young children happy - just don't force them

There are many emotional benefits to sharing, but only if it's voluntary.

5 ways to a healthy pregnancy

An easy pregnancy that results in a healthy baby: that's the dream.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.