Australian Politics Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1182 replies to this topic

#1 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:27 PM

Anyone interested? The U.S politics thread is going great guns, I thought there might be some fellow political tragics interested in a local version.

I saw this morning One Nation is claiming they won't vote for the budget unless $600 million is cut from the ABC over the next four years. They're desperately flailing for a distraction from the recordings of Hanson & Ashby planning to fleece their candidates and the enquiry the One Nation plane. Doubt it will work. The ABC is far more popular than extreme right wingers like to believe, especially in regional Australia.

https://www.theguard...00m-reports-say

#2 Starlia

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:10 PM

Being a regional dweller myself, I love ABC. 😀 It is one of the few news services that actually reports the news, as opposed to clickbait.

#3 Starlia

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:11 PM

As far as political views go, I basically don't want to vote for anyone we've currently got, so not much use.

#4 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:36 PM

I grew up in regional Australia and the ABC was really important to us. Attacking it plays well with the hard-right culture warriors but I don't think it will play well with everyone else.

Speaking of culture warriors, Tony Abbott is playing up to Bolt et al by attacking the head of ASIO. Apparently Hanson, Bolt and Abbott know more about the causes of radicalisation than ASIO do.

https://www.theguard...es-of-terrorism

#5 schwatzen

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:46 PM

Ah One Nation.

Australia will learn the hard way that the more people try to abstain from properly voting or not voting on issues that matter to them the more votes deplorables like One Nation receive. Hard right morons really love to get out and vote. Honestly can't think of anything worse than moderates becoming complacent and being all "meh".

I understand people dont like or don't trust "pollies" but that's besides the point, someone, regardless of who you vote for, is going to get in. May as well vote for the least worst!

#6 kadoodle

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:28 AM

I don't think that moderates are complacent; I think they've lost hope.

Hanson seems to have backed down on her ABC gutting request.

#7 Cimbom

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:46 AM

What's a moderate though? Someone who wants to keep things the way they already are? It doesn't seem like much of a position to me - it's a cop out.

"Moderate"/centrist politics is a waste of time and probably creates complacency. We need to vote in people who actually have ideas about how to improve things rather than the status quo types. The latter is what gives One Nation and their ilk oxygen.

#8 71Cath

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:46 AM

I'm in, it sounds great.  I love reading the American thread, but I don't feel well informed enough to contribute.

Pauline Hanson makes me want to bang my head on something hard.

#9 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:00 AM

The first time she was elected to parliament she was pretty successful at selling herself as an anti-politician off the back of being dumped as a liberal candidate. I wonder whether she'll be able to do that now after spending two decades trying to get back into parliament - any parliament, anywhere - and sucking up all that electoral commission money every time.

I think/hope she's lost some of the "poor Pauline/leave her alone" factor that shielded her from criticism in the 90s.

I think One Nation will implode again before the next election and this time she'll be blaming James Ashby instead of David Oldfield.

#10 purplekitty

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:16 AM

Pauline Hanson has the same core supporters that Trump has.

Nothing she can do will alienate them while she speaks the 'truth'.

#11 schwatzen

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:45 AM

View Postkadoodle, on 01 June 2017 - 09:28 AM, said:

I don't think that moderates are complacent; I think they've lost hope.

Hanson seems to have backed down on her ABC gutting request.

Yes, and now is not the time to lose any hope. I think to lose "hope" is so stupid in the first place. Trying to find any kind of hope in politics is going to be a waste. An inspiring politician or party with amazing policies is rare.

#12 HolleyShiftwell

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:50 AM

View PostLady Sybil Vimes, on 31 May 2017 - 10:36 PM, said:

I grew up in regional Australia and the ABC was really important to us. Attacking it plays well with the hard-right culture warriors but I don't think it will play well with everyone else.

Speaking of culture warriors, Tony Abbott is playing up to Bolt et al by attacking the head of ASIO. Apparently Hanson, Bolt and Abbott know more about the causes of radicalisation than ASIO do.

https://www.theguard...es-of-terrorism

Or they don't understand the difference between causal and correlation :-)

#13 schwatzen

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:51 AM

View PostCimbom, on 01 June 2017 - 09:46 AM, said:

What's a moderate though? Someone who wants to keep things the way they already are? It doesn't seem like much of a position to me - it's a cop out.

"Moderate"/centrist politics is a waste of time and probably creates complacency. We need to vote in people who actually have ideas about how to improve things rather than the status quo types. The latter is what gives One Nation and their ilk oxygen.

What's a moderate? Someone who is not far left or far right. It's not about keeping things the way they are.

No, people are just disengaged from politics because they feel it either doesnt affect them or they've been burnt in the past. The only way to action change is for people to get more involved. Sitting back and doing sweet eff all is a self fulfilling prophecy.

Truth is most Australians aren't politics-literate enough and show little interest. They dont have a clear understanding of how they actually can participate, get involved and change things for the better. They prefer to leave it up to someone else then complain when they dont like it.

That problem, i feel, is that Australian politics is an elective unit only in Years 11 and 12. We should be getting kids politics-literate from a younger age and it should be mandatory.

#14 71Cath

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:59 AM

View PostLady Sybil Vimes, on 01 June 2017 - 11:00 AM, said:

The first time she was elected to parliament she was pretty successful at selling herself as an anti-politician off the back of being dumped as a liberal candidate. I wonder whether she'll be able to do that now after spending two decades trying to get back into parliament - any parliament, anywhere - and sucking up all that electoral commission money every time.

I think/hope she's lost some of the "poor Pauline/leave her alone" factor that shielded her from criticism in the 90s.

I think One Nation will implode again before the next election and this time she'll be blaming James Ashby instead of David Oldfield.

I agree, although she does seem to love playing the bumbling idiot.  How that wins votes is beyond me.

#15 Chic'N'Stu

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:13 PM

View Post71Cath, on 01 June 2017 - 09:46 AM, said:

I'm in, it sounds great.  I love reading the American thread, but I don't feel well informed enough to contribute.

Pauline Hanson makes me want to bang my head on something hard.

I think we can all identify with Scott Ludlam on that front!

Posted Image

Also on the subject of vindictive people making society worse, I see that the Department of Social Services weren't even pretending that the proposal to drug test for people on welfare might have any basis in evidence-based policy. From the Guardian - The department said on Wednesday it had worked on the proposal for 12 months before the announcement, but had not consulted with external drug, alcohol, or medical experts before budget was released.

It will, however, make some private drug testing companies very happy with taxpayer funds going to their bottom line!

#16 kadoodle

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:20 PM

View Posttiefbloom, on 01 June 2017 - 11:45 AM, said:

Yes, and now is not the time to lose any hope. I think to lose "hope" is so stupid in the first place. Trying to find any kind of hope in politics is going to be a waste. An inspiring politician or party with amazing policies is rare.

Inspiring leaders are an historical constant; we just have a current dearth of them. And people are tuning out in the face of the integrity vacuum.

Sally Yates has potential.

#17 la di dah

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:34 PM

A large part of the problem is plenty of Australians don't understand how preferential voting works and think they have to vote lesser-evilism to keep whichever major party they're more p*ssed with out.

There's also limited awareness that parties receive funding based on first preferences, and if there's some small party you like a bit better but you don't want The Boogeyman to get in, it's better to vote 1 Bit Better 2 Mediocre rather than congratulating Mediocre on not being Dreadful. If you give your first preference to a group you can barely stand, you are giving them money to do it again.

#18 schwatzen

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:27 PM

View Postkadoodle, on 01 June 2017 - 03:20 PM, said:

Inspiring leaders are an historical constant; we just have a current dearth of them. And people are tuning out in the face of the integrity vacuum.

Sally Yates has potential.

Unfortunately life goes regardless and POS people like Pauline Hanson sneak in and play to people's base fears.

So, so many people dont even read up on the policies of parties before they vote. They vote based on some ridiculous reasons. It's a real shame.

I can't tell you how many people i've met who vote for a party because their parents did. They just go on autopilot.

#19 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:30 PM

Did anyone see Peter Dutton had a big interview in the Good Weekend last week complete with arty portrait shots and discussions of his leadership style (he compared himself to John Howard). If that's not signalling that he'll challenge Malcolm whenever he can then I don't know what is.

It makes me think the right of the liberal party still haven't grasped that appealing to Andrew Bolt's leaders is not the same as appealing to the majority of the electorate. He's just a slightly dumber Tony Abbott with added jackboots.

Edited by Lady Sybil Vimes, 01 June 2017 - 07:02 PM.

#20 cinnabubble

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:47 PM

He looks like Voldemort.

#21 la di dah

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:57 PM

View PostLady Sybil Vimes, on 01 June 2017 - 06:30 PM, said:

Did anyone see Peter Dutton had a big interview in the Good Weekend last week complete with arty portrait sh*ts and discussions of his leadership style (he compared himself to John Howard). If that's not signalling that he'll challenge Malcolm whenever he can then I don't know what is.

Yeah there was a puff piece on him in the paper last week. He's someone's big hopeful.

It's distressing.

#22 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:31 PM

The Liberal party has asked the electoral commission to redraw the boundaries in Peter Dutton's (or Voldemort as this thread has made me think of him) seat. He has a margin of 1.6% and GetUp are getting organised to campaign hard against him.

I'd be delighted if that odious extremist lost his seat.

http://www.smh.com.a...529-gwfde3.html

#23 kadoodle

Posted 02 June 2017 - 07:36 PM

Howard got up because he was a stayer; he just outlasted all his rivals. Dutton has no track record besides being the latest grey fascist to kiss up to Murdoch.

#24 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 02 June 2017 - 08:33 PM

A stayer and great at selling himself as an unthreatening Everyman (all that wanting Australians to feel relaxed and comfortable stuff) where Dutton presents more like the Angel of Death.

#25 la di dah

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:55 PM

Dutton: like Morrison, but some of the scheming little ways have been swapped out for dull-eyed belligerence.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.