Breast feeding while pregnant

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Secret Lola

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:48 AM

Hi ladies,

Just wondering if anyone else is breast feeding while pregnant or has with a previous pregnancy?

My little one is 3.5 and still feeding, no sign of weaning in sight. My breasts have started to become really tender with the pregnancy so I'm trying to distract him a lot of the time :p

#2 Flutterflee

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:54 AM

I'm not this time as DD almost 4 has just weaned but I did feed through my last pregnancy. It was hard, really hard. I was so drained and completely exhausted. Im finding this time around to be much easier, so far anyway lol.

#3 Soontobegran

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:17 AM

I was breast feeding whilst pregnant in varying degrees four times. One bit me and weaned herself pretty quickly, otherwise I did feed one for another 6 months of the pregnancy and she stopped but then asked again after the baby was born.
Sore breasts and nipples were an issue but the feeds were short and irregular so I got through.
My breast milk did changed though.

#4 ritten

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:48 AM

I had really tender breasts and a nursing aversion that made me have to fight the reflex to push my son away while i was pregnant.

He was 2.5 and so I used to give him a cup of rice milk before a feed and then he had timed feeds..so 5 mins max each side ( sometimes only 1 minute ) and I used a countdown timer as I found it easier to cope when I knew how long the feed was going to last.

The aversion and tenderness eased off and wasn't an issue in the 3rd trimester.

He didn't fed as much as the pregnancy went on...down to every few days by the time the baby was born compared to 2-4 times a day previously.

My milk definitely changed as his first feed after the birth he announced "mummy milk is back!"

Good luck

#5 Secret Lola

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:55 PM

Thank you for the replies.
I'm querying if maybe my supply might be dropping already as he's requesting it more regularly as though to try and increase it.
My breasts are quite tender but so far nursing isn't making them feel any worse.

Flutterflee- it's interesting to note that you were more drained while pregnant and feeding, I wonder if that is due to your body sucking out your nutrients for bub plus milk. I just put my exhaustion down to age :p

Soontobegran- I had heard that the taste does change, did your little ones mention it to you?

Ritten- that is so cute that he was excited to have his mummy milk, the timer is a good idea.

#6 Soontobegran

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:14 PM

One screwed up her little face and chomped down on the end of my nipple.......she didn't need to tell me in words but another one who was older said it was yuck and wanted cordial :)

#7 TinyTerry

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:42 PM

I did when pregnant with my second. My eldest would have fed forever (lol) if we had let him so we weaned him about six months in. If there was a change in taste it didn't seem to bother him! Weaning him was surprisingly easy though it was done across a number of months - he had a real emotional attachment to feeding (I think I did too if I'm honest) and we needed to wean him gently. All worked out fine and he never regressed or got upset about not having it anymore.
Good luck x

#8 CallMeFeral

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:08 PM

I tried, but I think my milk changed and probably supply dropped, so DD self weaned at about 9 months old (I'd have been about 5 months pregnant).

I have heard that your body feeds your foetus first, your sucker second, and you last, so I think exhaustion would be quite normal!

#9 SMforshort

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:20 PM

I fed both my first two until I was four months pregnant with the next.  Both weaned themselves at this point, one was 10 months old so I introduced formula for a few months, the second was 18 months old.  So I'm guessing my milk dried up or changed significantly at this point of pregnancy.

#10 für_elise

Posted 25 May 2017 - 12:13 AM

I think every circumstance is different so there is no right or wrong. My 2 are nearly 18 months apart and I unexpectedly fell pregnant when my first was 9 months old and I breastfed him until he was 14 months old and he suddenly self weaned. I offered him the boob one night (last feed of the day) and he was just not interested (I was about 5 months pregnant at that stage) Every child is different but I believe in my case my milk was not appealing to my little one at that stage but I was relieved as well at the same time to have my boobs back to myself for a bit. I had no problems feeding baby no.2 either.

#11 Ray of Light

Posted 27 May 2017 - 11:41 AM

I had intended to keep feeding number 2 thrououggt this pregnancy and beyond, but my supply has dropped significantly and I'm luck if he wants it once a day now, and to be honest I'm sort of relieved because I'm not really engoyong it!

#12 Makalu

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:13 PM

I did at the beginning of my last pregnancy until I was about 14 weeks. My supply completely dried up and I was exhausted so I gently weaned my son using distractions and delaying feeds (aged 2.5 at the time). He asked to be fed multiple times after the birth of my daughter until I gave him some breastmilk in a cup and he discovered he no longer liked the taste.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.