NSW preschool and out of hours care - rules and regulations

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 skulker

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:40 AM

Hi all,

Just hoping someone can shed some light on this situation, and perhaps suggest some options, before I speak to the preschool and before and after school care.

This term, my DD started at a community preschool and goes to before school care one day per week. On that day, someone from the before school care walks her to her preschool (it's not far) or they drive if it's raining. It's been working great. A friend informed me yesterday that the before school care can no longer continue this due to rules and regulations, effective immediately. Friend is also effected by this. I will speak directly to before school care this week.

Apparently, in order to continue offering the service, they need to establish a full preschool program and have a university qualified staff member. Friend has spoken to the preschool to see if they could possibly open 15-20 minutes earlier, which is all we need (between her leaving for work and the preschool opening time).

Is there any wiggle room on this? DD doesn't require a full preschool program from the before school care as she's going to preschool that day. Our DDs are 5 years old, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance!

#2 skulker

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:00 PM

Just received an email from the before school care and it seems that they were never allowed to have children not enrolled at school. Whoops!
There's always been several pre-schoolers who attend the vacation care too.

#3 Agnetha

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:06 PM

I was wondering if that were the case , particularly with it being effective immediately . All the best findings options.

Edited by Agnetha, 21 March 2017 - 12:08 PM.

#4 Agnetha

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:07 PM

Our OSH club has preschoolers over the summer , but they are five, about to start school and usually have a Sibling there.

#5 MadnessCraves

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:12 PM

oh dear! I've never heard that policy you mentioned above, almost all pre-schools DD went to, there was at least a before and after school care on grounds, even though it was like only 'open one hour before/after for an extra $$' but overall, it wasn't very useful.

if the BSC/ASC is important, any chance of getting her moved over to a LDC instead?

#6 Bugster

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:16 PM

Our OSH will only take kids that are starting that year. Ie my 4yr old daughter attending in January as she was enrolled to start at the school in feb.

I believe that the restrictions are impossible to get around.

we used a preschool in NSW and it had to run 9-3 only they tried eveything to get longer days but couldn't.

I sugesst you try find a family daycarer nearby that does this

#7 Anon100

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:56 PM

The regulation for OSHC is school age only and yes they are in breach.

For the preschool to accommodate you it is going to require a complete over haul of staffing since time spent without children is calculated differently than time spent with, there are implications for breaks, how much additional planning time you are given etc. It's not as simple as the child sitting quietly in a corner while you get on with other duties.

On an occasional emergency basis I have reluctantly done it, because I don't want to set a precedent but not regularly.

Maybe one of the other parents is open to some babysitting?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win a Springfree Trampoline!

Click now for your chance to WIN a Springfree Trampoline (R54 Compact Round) plus Australia-wide delivery ? valued up to $1774!

Midwife's hand inside birth canal for 90 minutes saves baby's life

Baby Emelia's arrival into the world wasn't exactly smooth sailing.

Melbourne - get your FREE tickets!

Register now for your free ticket (valued at $20) for the Melbourne Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores.

It's really hard work, baby, but still worth it

You are over it and you want to know, is this all worth it?

Vitamin K injections: what you need to know

Why do babies need vitamin K after birth? Here's what you need to know.

Mum's emotional letter on last day of maternity leave

A heartfelt letter from a mum to her nine-week-old son has a struck a chord with working mothers everywhere.

What I learnt after having six miscarriages

Experiencing recurrent miscarriage is like entering an endless dark tunnel. Once you enter that tunnel it is a fight from start to finish

Recall issued for popular brand of baby biscuits

You will want to check your cupboard and give these the flick, after a recall was issued this week.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

See Pinky McKay live - for FREE

Pinky will be speaking daily at the Essential Baby & Toddler Show, Melbourne, 28-30 April. Free tickets now!

Last chance for free tickets

See Pinky McKay live - for FREE

Pinky will be speaking daily at the Essential Baby & Toddler Show, Melbourne, 28-30 April. Free tickets now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.