Harmony day and not feeling so harmonious

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Riotproof

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:42 AM

So, it's harmony day again. And all the information starts coming home, a few weeks ago. All the usual, about harmony and culture and etc, wear orange or colours of your flag. No thongs. Or football jerseys. Okay then. I make a note of it in the calendar.
As ds to check if he does have an orange tshirt. He doesn't. He proclaims he doesn't want to wear the blue, white and red he wore last year. Hmmm.
Find a $3 persimmon coloured tshirt in Kmart. Success!

Then I get to school and a friends daughter tells me she lost her gold coin donation. I didn't recall reading anything about a gold coin in all the alerts, pre alerts, Newsletters etc. I check with another mum who looks at me like I'm the worlds biggest idiot and says it was in the newsletter. So, I'm scrounging in my purse, with a toddler running amok trying to organise two gold coins for my son and friend.
There is such thing as too much information. And really, the gold coin should have been mentioned in the reminder alert yesterday. But I also think if they want it to be truly inclusive, they shouldn't be raising money at the same time.

Sigh. So tired.

#2 José

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:48 AM

What was the money for? Were you asked to bring it as part of out of uniform? If so theres not much the school can do if a child doesnt bring it.
At some schools the money covers something eg international food tasting.

#3 Riotproof

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:53 AM

Yes, it seems to be the mufti day charge. Which is fine I guess. I just feel like for a school who normally communicates so well, it's been communicated badly. Even the information re harmony day that was written by the English as another language teachers was hard to follow because of bad formatting.

#4 Nastyflea

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:59 AM

Our school doesn't do harmony day, but the preschool attached to it seems to be (judging by the tiny girl in Dutch costume with a basket of goodies I saw in the carpark) but it does do gold coin donation for every out of uniform event.

It's how they raise money for stuff.
Bit here, bit there, it all adds up.

#5 NastyAH

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:01 AM

I used to love Harmony Day. I hate it now. Bloody orange! And the request is for orange t-shirts, not a ribbon in your hair, or a hat, or something relatively achievable. Dd11 went in plain mufti after I told her to tell school to call me if they had a problem with it.

The first harmony days we had at school were about celebrating diversity - wear a shirt in the colour of the flag of a different country (easy!), different cuisines, learning about different cultures. Now it's just annoying and I can see it being exclusive too.

As for communication - our notes, reminders, newsletters and teacher to student info never match up! It's so frustrating!

#6 smudgiekiss

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:02 AM

Harmony day sucks.

Wear the traditional dress from your culture
Bring a plate of food from your culture
Bring the music your culture traditionally listens to

No footy jumpers or thongs allowed.

So my son went in his usual kinder clothes, took a plate of usual lunchbox food and took his football club themesong (which they weren't happy with) as his music.  I don't think they really thought about how Australians would be included in Harmony day.

#7 Perpetual

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:02 AM

Pretty similar situation here. It's standard for there to be a "gold coin donation" for any out of uniform day, but nothing on the harmony day note. I assumed it was free because they had another uniform free day last week for St.Pats so twice in under a week would be a bit much for some.

I also sent DS in blue, he doesn't own any orange and I'm not buying something special. His bag has orange on it, that's good enough for me :huh:

#8 Riotproof

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:03 AM

I will be really curious if they get a lower rate of payment today, just because I think it was a tiny detail lost amongst the volume. They gave soo much detail about the morning tea for parents and teachers they're trying to introduce, and so many times. It felt like spam in the end.

#9 Prioritising Pooks

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:06 AM

Oh my goodness, we aren't even one term in an I'm going crazy with the poor communication. Random notes floating around the bottom of the bag, prep bulletin, school newsletter, app alerts, calendar they gave us at the start of the year- all with incomplete, last minute and/or conflicting information. Just... Shoot me now.

#10 Nastyflea

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:13 AM

I LIKE a paper note in a school bag.
I'm less likely to miss it than on an app or in an email.
I also forget to print out 6 pages of stuff for the swimming carnival because I read the note on my phone while sitting in the car waiting to pick DD up, not at home near a printer.

Why did we provide 500 sheets of paper to the teacher this year if they hardly ever print stuff out? Who is using all the paper??

#11 Riotproof

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:15 AM

Prioritising Pooks, on 21 March 2017 - 09:06 AM, said:

Oh my goodness, we aren't even one term in an I'm going crazy with the poor communication. Random notes floating around the bottom of the bag, prep bulletin, school newsletter, app alerts, calendar they gave us at the start of the year- all with incomplete, last minute and/or conflicting information. Just... Shoot me now.

Ours are generally good, which might be why I'm so annoyed. Wednesday is communciation day unless it's something urgent and unexpected. Term calendar appears at end of every newsletter. Notes comes home in a red folder. Newsletter is published on Wednesday. Alerts are generally used as alerts and not spam.

I'm still amazed by the having to give paper thing. Surely, surely, that's something they should have in their budget.

Edited by Riotproof, 21 March 2017 - 09:17 AM.

#12 bandbub

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:18 AM

I didnt realise it was harmony day until after i dropped dd off to school and then drove past a few kids wearing orange oops

#13 seayork2002

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:23 AM

We have the skoolbag app and another messaging/reward system (NSW primary) which works pretty good and notes get brought home if DS remembers.

Plus we have a weekly newsletter

I wish I could say I am more organised because of it but I can't expect miracles!

Oh thanks to living near target DS has obscure tops of weird colours because I know with school and cubs there will always be a colour need. But I think our school just mentions orange in general not specifically a top

Edited by seayork2002, 21 March 2017 - 09:25 AM.

#14 mummyofelves

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:27 AM

We had mufti "anti-bullying" day last fri with a gold coin donation to dress in mufti.  I didn't have any change so 3 kids went in mufti without money - donations were to go towards the Alannah and Madeline foundation (which I have no problem with and if I'd had change they would have taken it).

However every single time the school has a gold coin donation day the day's taking at the canteen are abnormally high (and heavy !) due to lots of the kids spending "their donation" at the canteen rather than actually donating to the cause.

We had to fill in a sheet about our family traditions for Harmony day.  We are a very boring, pedestrian white Australian family with no war heroes, convicts or bushrangers etc to speak of.  Makes for a very ordinary "our family traditions" form

#15 ~Nasty_Jodama~

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:27 AM

I dont even think our school is doing anything.

If it is, I missed it and my kids went in uniforms as per normal.

I prefer paper notes personally. I get its bad for the environment and all that but I miss stuff if its on the FB page or in the 18 page newsletter (who has time to read that :huh: ) and the app is useless.

#16 Riotproof

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:29 AM

It didn't have to be a top, seayork, just what seemed easiest to me at the time. They did sell wristbands and etc as well.

Eta, mummyofelves, I did wonder if that's what my friend's kid was doing. She had another friend with her who had also lost hers!

Edited by Riotproof, 21 March 2017 - 09:31 AM.

#17 seayork2002

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:31 AM

View PostRiotproof, on 21 March 2017 - 09:29 AM, said:

It didn't have to be a top, seayork, just what seemed easiest to me at the time. They did sell wristbands and etc as well.

sorry that was not aimed at you or anyone I was just saying what our school does! sorry

#18 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:15 AM

View Postsmudgiekiss, on 21 March 2017 - 09:02 AM, said:

Harmony day sucks.

Wear the traditional dress from your culture
Bring a plate of food from your culture
Bring the music your culture traditionally listens to

No footy jumpers or thongs allowed.

So my son went in his usual kinder clothes, took a plate of usual lunchbox food and took his football club themesong (which they weren't happy with) as his music.  I don't think they really thought about how Australians would be included in Harmony day.

I would have sent dd in whole footy get up and a slice of pavlova for recess lmao

for us footy is a big part of our lives, as it stands im twitching like a crackhead for thursday when official season begins
we dont listen to aussie country music or aussie pop, so her teams song would be the choice
to us it is a major part of our culture, we dont identify with the whole croc dundee aussie image

Thongs i get, safety reasons and all that.  Thats normal on every free dress or event day apart from to and from pool

Thankfully seems dd school not doing anything, ive not seen orange requests. Im happy dd hates orange, hates wearing it

Edited by *Nasty*Squeekums*, 21 March 2017 - 10:16 AM.

#19 Bam1

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:19 AM

The poster at a local school I walk past always gives me a giggle "...Celebrate Diversity - Everyone wear Orange"

Edited by Bam1, 21 March 2017 - 10:19 AM.

#20 Cimbom

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:43 AM

I had to Google 'mufti' day as I haven't heard of this expression before. I was thinking of an Islamic mufti :huh:

#21 BreezaH

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:00 AM

Our school does Harmony Day but there's no charge for it.

Most other mufti days incur a gold coin donation

#22 Kreme

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:10 AM

We are doing Harmony Day on Thursday. Miraculously both children have orange shirts. It's pretty easy though, with a choice:

- national costume
- national colours
- colours of national flag
- orange.

#23 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:15 AM

View PostNastyAH, on 21 March 2017 - 09:01 AM, said:

I used to love Harmony Day. I hate it now. Bloody orange! And the request is for orange t-shirts, not a ribbon in your hair, or a hat, or something relatively achievable. Dd11 went in plain mufti after I told her to tell school to call me if they had a problem with it.

Lol.

Our newsletter said "not mufti" and "one item of orange clothing" so I sent DS in an orange T-shirt.  

Then we got criticised because they had told the kids the day before  they were only to have a "splash" of orange (like a ribbon or socks) not a T-shirt.

#24 AnotherFeral

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:24 AM

I got a little fright reading this so I checked the note - our school is doing Harmony Day tomorrow. Kids are asked to wear normal uniform with a 'touch of orange', e.g. hair ribbon, socks, OR traditional national dress IF they have it.
No mention of money or foods.
They are planning some related activities in class time and there is an optional poster competition.
That's it. I'm happy with how they're running it.

#25 ~Nasty_Jodama~

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:07 PM

View PostCimbom, on 21 March 2017 - 10:43 AM, said:

I had to Google 'mufti' day as I haven't heard of this expression before. I was thinking of an Islamic mufti :huh:

:lol:

I had never heard of until a thread on here a while back either. It was rather interesting!

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Chrissy Teigen's pride about daughter's adorable first word

Chrissy Teigen and John Legend have celebrated their 11-month-old baby Luna's first word with an adorable Instagram post.

The photo that sums up how dads REALLY feel during labour

A new mum shared a hilarious photo of her partner during labour that lots of dads will relate to.

You can never hold your baby too much, says study

From the world of super obvious science comes the news that you can never hold your baby too much.

Babies called Romeo and Juliet born hours apart in the same hospital

Two mums gave birth in adjoining hospital rooms a few hours apart. They had never met, and had each chosen their baby's name earlier in the pregnancy.

Mum organises 'nurse-in' protest at IKEA

It's hard to believe than in 2017 mums are still receiving flak for breastfeeding in public, but that's what one US mum claims happened in IKEA.

Will 'How Not to Hate Your Husband After Kids' be a best-seller?

Author Jancee Dunn hopes her new book will help mums deal with the stresses that parenthood can place on an otherwise happy relationship.

The dad who was taunted for taking paternity leave

They imagined that while I was away, I would be glued to the couch, beer in hand. In no way would I actually be helping my wife.

Photographer surprises couple with rainbow baby shoot

The prettiest and most unexpected maternity shoot for a much-wanted rainbow baby.

Mum's funny solution for finding 'me time' with a toddler in tow

If you've ever been in possession of a toddler, you'll know that it's next to impossible to get anything done.

Qualities my three-year-old has that I admire

My three-year-old daughter is one of the strongest little women that I know. As I watch her grow into this amazing person, I can't help but feel accomplished and proud.

'You need to be present': John Legend on supporting a partner with PND

Singer John Legend has opened up about supporting wife Chrissy Teigen through postnatal depression.

The seven types of 'parent sleep'

The question, "Did you sleep well last night?" should be easy to answer. Either a yes (if you're lucky), or a no.

'Anxiety hit me like a ton of bricks'

Tammin Sursok has written an essay sharing her personal experience with postnatal anxiety.

11 things to do to protect your mental health while breastfeeding

Whether breastfeeding is going well or you are finding it harder than you expected, taking care of you needs to be a priority.

Couple announces they're both expecting - three weeks apart

Being pregnant at the same time as your best friend means double the excitement.

Why Dax Shepard was 'impressed' when his daughter swore for the first time

Actor and comedian, Dax Shepard has given a hilarious recap of the lengths he'll go to get, and keep, his kids asleep.

Video captures beautiful breech caesarean birth

A new life is brought gently into the world with tender and expert hands.

Mum warns of vacuum danger after toddler injured

Every parent knows toddlers can move fast, now one mum is warning about the dangers of allowing small children anywhere near vacuum cleaners.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Win 1 of 10 awesome Peppa Pig prize packs

Who loves Peppa? We have 10 packs to give away - including family passes to see the brand new movie, in cinemas March 16!

Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores

28th - 30th April, 2017, Melbourne Royal Exhibition Building, Carlton. Get your FREE ticket now. Save $20.

Free ticket offer

Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores

28th - 30th April, 2017, Melbourne Royal Exhibition Building, Carlton. Get your FREE ticket now. Save $20.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.