Short stories for kids

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Madammoselle

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:56 PM

I'm after some short stories for my 11'year old dd. She's not a good reader and we haven't found a book or series she likes.
I'm looking for short stories to give her a sense of accomplishment in finishing a book.

#2 RynandStompy

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:46 PM

I recall at that age (in the 80s)  liking a Scholastic book about Greek and Roman legends. They're all short stories, curated for child audience (therefore rapes and torture are sanitised right out) and interlinked. So reading a story one week could reference a character introduced the week before.
An added bonus for reading them also provides word history to the reader on where words and legends originate from. Even planet names*. And reruns of Xena would make more sense :D

I'm sure there must be similar books still published now?

*I was a nerd though who'd write out lists of the Greek pantheon names and then match to the Roman ones.

#3 Riotproof

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:25 AM

What is she into? It might be worth having a chat with a librarian.

At her age I was reading Judy Blume, babysitters club, a series about a rich girl with a horse Caitlin. Peter Hellier was on the radio talking about a book he's written for 8-12 year olds which did sound interesting, but I can't recall the title.

#4 Madammoselle

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:46 PM

Thanks,
She hasn't found anything she really likes to read. We have lots Roald Dahl, tried goosebumps, Andy Griffiths, Enid Blyton.
She doesn't cope with small font, but the books with larger font are a bit young.
She likes dancing and animals. I have spoken to the local library but they weren't much help and only really had a few short stories available.
I will check out the suggestions 😀

#5 TequilaMockingbird

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:07 PM

Not short stories as such, but the Violet Mackerel series by Anna Branford and The Ella Diaries series by Meredith Costain are both shorter chapter books that are easily read, and really engaging.

The Ella Diaries have a bigger font than your standard book too, lots of illustrations as well.

#6 Riotproof

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:16 PM

She might like charlottes web? Anne of Green Gables?

#7 Rowenas Necklace

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:24 PM

Your comment about the text size makes me wonder if there's any issue with eyesight or slight dyslexia - is that something you've already ruled out?

Michael Morpurgo and Jackie French have some short novels that are lovely for children. They look and feel a bit more grown up than Andy Griffiths et al, so they might be a better fit for her.

I can't say the text size is particularly large, though you may be able to get large-text copies designed for students with vision problems somewhere.

ETA Jacqueline Wilson may be worth a look too - she doesn't write short stories, but from memory they do have larger text and have images within the story.

I'm surprised the librarians weren't more help, it may be worth checking out some local bookshops to find someone who can give good recommendations. All good bookshops should have at least one children's book expert!

You don't have to buy anything right away, just get some suggestions and then bring your DD in to see if any of them spark her interest.

Edited by rowenasnecklace, 21 March 2017 - 01:39 PM.

#8 unicycle

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:34 PM

Arkie Sparkles is fantastic. There is not just text, but also all sorts of interesting graphics. This is a spunky girl who sets off with her female cousin to find her kidnapped parents. It is a series of 7 short books. High interest and easy to navigate.

Short stories, as such can be a bit of a pain as they are so dense with ideas, that you have to ay attention to each detail.

Even simpler and loads of fun is the Squeak Street Mice by Emily Rodda. Each story is about a different mouse living on the street. Easy to read but great stories.

Hope these help you.

If you need something shorter, there are wonderful picture books aimed at all ages. Would you like us to mention some of those?

#9 Madammoselle

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:33 PM

View Postrowenasnecklace, on 21 March 2017 - 01:24 PM, said:

Your comment about the text size makes me wonder if there's any issue with eyesight or slight dyslexia - is that something you've already ruled out?

Michael Morpurgo and Jackie French have some short novels that are lovely for children. They look and feel a bit more grown up than Andy Griffiths et al, so they might be a better fit for her.

I can't say the text size is particularly large, though you may be able to get large-text copies designed for students with vision problems somewhere.

ETA Jacqueline Wilson may be worth a look too - she doesn't write short stories, but from memory they do have larger text and have images within the story.

I'm surprised the librarians weren't more help, it may be worth checking out some local bookshops to find someone who can give good recommendations. All good bookshops should have at least one children's book expert!

You don't have to buy anything right away, just get some suggestions and then bring your DD in to see if any of them spark her interest.

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, she does wear reading glasses. We recently got a new subscription and she now wears multi focals. She has been issue with her eyes focusing at a different distance. It was our local library, I will google some small independent book shops.

Edited by Madammoselle, 23 May 2017 - 01:47 PM.

#10 Madammoselle

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:37 PM

View Postunicycle, on 21 March 2017 - 01:34 PM, said:

Arkie Sparkles is fantastic. There is not just text, but also all sorts of interesting graphics. This is a spunky girl who sets off with her female cousin to find her kidnapped parents. It is a series of 7 short books. High interest and easy to navigate.

Short stories, as such can be a bit of a pain as they are so dense with ideas, that you have to ay attention to each detail.

Even simpler and loads of fun is the Squeak Street Mice by Emily Rodda. Each story is about a different mouse living on the street. Easy to read but great stories.

Hope these help you.

If you need something shorter, there are wonderful picture books aimed at all ages. Would you like us to mention some of those?

Thanks, these are all great suggestions.
We have heaps of picture books which she often reads. We do have a lot of books but I haven't been able to find the right one.

#11 Madammoselle

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:41 PM

View PostTequilaMockingbird, on 21 March 2017 - 01:07 PM, said:

Not short stories as such, but the Violet Mackerel series by Anna Branford and The Ella Diaries series by Meredith Costain are both shorter chapter books that are easily read, and really engaging.

The Ella Diaries have a bigger font than your standard book too, lots of illustrations as well.

View PostRiotproof, on 21 March 2017 - 01:16 PM, said:

She might like charlottes web? Anne of Green Gables?

Thank you, all these suggestions have given me lots to look into. Sometimes I get stressed and panicked that she isn't getter better at reading. School work doesn't come naturally so it's always a struggle. You have all given me hope I can find something that she likes and she won't find it so hard. ❤

#12 all-of-us

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:56 PM

My kids have dyslexia and it's a constant search for books.  I have found they enjoy audio books and also borrowing books that are on cd as well as the book to follow along with.  Barrington-stokes a UK publisher has dyslexia friendly books and a newsagent in NE vic has these stocked.  If your in Melb Moreland  library Is promoting it's easy to read books.

#13 unicycle

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:25 PM

Graphic novels are another great way into fiction, except the font can be small. Amulet springs to mind as a fun story and it is a series.

#14 RSA

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:35 PM

I remember as a kid reading books like

Unreal banana peel, all right vegemite

They had short, funny and a bit crude little rhymes in them. We've got them in the high school library for our year 7 reading program for some of our really ow level readers who are very disinterested in reading!

http://www.bookworm....1925386080.aspx

http://www.bookworm....1925386073.aspx

Not sure if that's helpful!

#15 chickendrumstick

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:36 PM

Paul Jennings? The Un- series or Round the Twist books are short stories, some of them are a bit creepy or gross but great for stretching them a bit. Fun to read aloud too!

#16 AdelTwins

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:04 PM

Have you tried books on the iPad (or similar)? You can change the font type/size/colour easily.

#17 Mrs Lannister

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:12 PM

View Postchickendrumstick, on 21 March 2017 - 04:36 PM, said:

Paul Jennings? The Un- series or Round the Twist books are short stories, some of them are a bit creepy or gross but great for stretching them a bit. Fun to read aloud too!

I was going to suggest Paul Jennings. Not short stories but quick books to read with lots of pictures is the WeirDo series

#18 TequilaMockingbird

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:39 PM

Oh, another suggestion- which again, is not a short story book, sorry!

I've had a lot of success coaxing reluctant readers with non-fiction books aimed at their interests, which they can read snippets of at first, and then often get drawn in and read 'just one more page'. Even books such as Ripley's Believe It Or Not can be great for that age group.

That said, tonight's Ella Diaries book was all about ponies, last night's was about dancing, and the protagonist is in 5th grade, so they really might be worth a browse. They've also encouraged the small child reading them to start a diary, which is helping writing skills, so win-win, that.

#19 oldone

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:59 PM

Try Nanny Piggins. They're normal novel sized books, but it's broken down into chapters which are complete stories.

Diary of a wimpy kid is also mostly pictures but seems like a bigger book.

The Twits is a good one too, not too complex and lots of pictures to help keep her motivated.

I'd be wary of just giving her short stories as it might just reinforce to her that she's not a good reader and can't read 'real' books.

When we're reading more complicated or longer books, We take turns reading pages out loud to help keep DD2 interested and understanding the story without it being so exhausting for her. I'll often read two pages for every one of DD2's pages to keep her involved.

#20 TheFirstNoel

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:14 PM

I would go for a kindle with whispersync, so she can read along with an audiobook and change the font size. That way she can fall in love with the story without so much of the work...
Something by DiCamillo always works here!

#21 Madammoselle

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I was thinking of getting a kindle app for the iPad, can you get lots of regular titles? Last time I looked for audio books or iBooks there was lots of made for iBooks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

How dare anyone accuse a mum of 'milking' a miscarriage

A heartless comment from a stranger shocked the already devastated radio host Em Rusciano.

How breast milk can help relieve your baby's teething pain

Try one mum's simple parenting hack to ease your baby's discomfort.

Top 10 common health myths busted

To help combat the misinformation and spread good health, here are the most common health myths compared to fact.

How to make flying with a toddler more bearable

After almost three years of living in Canada, it was time to pack our bags, bundle up our three children (including our two and a half year old Toddler) and pray to the heavens above, before flying to Aussie Land to see our family and friends.

Breastfeeding may help with caesarean pain, says new study

Breastfeeding after a caesarean section may help manage persistent pain, finds new research on the post-birth experience of new mothers.

Recall notice: fourth cot recalled in less than one month

A recall notice has been issued for yet another cot sold in Australia -the White New Zealand Pine 3-in-1 Baby Sleigh Cot Bed with Drawers.

A baby girl, a baffling disease - and the only way to help her is to hurt her

Every morning, Kevin Federici pulls on a head lamp, sterilises a sewing needle and prepares to prick his baby girl all over her tiny body.

If you make your own baby food you'll love this Instagram account

Tired of making carrot purée? Take a look at this mum's homemade baby food creations.

The unique baby names literally no one is choosing

After a unique baby name for your little one? Here are the monikers no one chose in 2016.

'It's such a boost': mum receives 'thanks for breastfeeding in public' card

It was the boost one mum needed at just the right time.

Sharing makes young children happy - just don't force them

There are many emotional benefits to sharing, but only if it's voluntary.

5 ways to a healthy pregnancy

An easy pregnancy that results in a healthy baby: that's the dream.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.