No present

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hardworking mum

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:27 PM

My teenage daughter came back from her dads empty handed (no bday present).  
She was very disappointed.
Her bday was a week and a half prior so he had plenty of time to budget and get a present. She wasn't expecting anything big she is grateful and realistic.
I texted him after seeing she was very upset. He said he hadn't got around to it. He said he would send a present. I feel bad for her. She went to the effort to get him a present and gave it to him (that same weekend). How can someone do that to their child. Why not take her shopping if he didn't have time or didn't know what to get? She said she would get the topic onto her birthday hoping he would pull out the present and he would change topic  😔

I feel bad for her and constantly feel like I have to compensate for his disappointments. This is a new low.

He has been burying his head in the sand about another thing very important to her and it is looking like I will have to pay completely for it ($thousands). He has ignored the two texts I have sent about it. I left a gap of time between so he wouldn't feel harassed. But he is ignoring the issue.

Do you have to compensate for your ex when they disappoint your child like this?  Do you have any tips on dealing with this?

#2 Ellie bean

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:32 PM

Im sorry, your poor dd. What a selfish pig.

#3 LUV-MY-KIDS

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:20 PM

Not sure how old you DD is.  How terrible for her.  He is not adulting and you can't make him.  Depending on her age you may need to explain to her that is the way he is and make sure she knows it's him that has the issue not her.  Let her know he just doesn't adult well, it's got nothing to do with her it's him.

Harder if they younger and not an age they can understand that.

You would think he would have at least slipped her some money if he couldn't be bothered to take her out and go shopping. Poor kid, it's not right and it shouldn't happen.

#4 hardworking mum

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:41 PM

Thanks for your support. She turned 15.
It's a vulnerable age to have your dad forget to celebrate the day you were born.
I give her cuddles and support her the best I can. She is trying to adjust to harder school work and growing up. It's tough only being one person but feeling like I have to be and do the mum and dad roles.

#5 nasty snaugh

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:23 PM

You cannot compensate for her father.

You can only do the best you can do.

Don't denigrate her father in front of her, but don't make excuses for him either.

I'm already walking the line with my 6 year old DS, and I know it's really difficult.

But kids are smart. And observant. And while they're sensitive, I think they're usually more resiliant than you think.

Co-parenting is so hard, isn't it ?

#6 LUV-MY-KIDS

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:28 PM

She is at an age where she will form her own opinion.  Teenage girl he didn't even have to make the effort to get a gift, all he had to do was give her some cash so she could get something if he was lazy.

Your poor DD.  All you can do is let her know you love her and you understand that hurts and isn't right.

At the end of the day he pulls that then she isn't going to think much of him and that's his own doing.  If he puts in zero effort he is not going to end up with an adult child that reciprocates and puts no effort into their relationship either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Chrissy Teigen's pride about daughter's adorable first word

Chrissy Teigen and John Legend have celebrated their 11-month-old baby Luna's first word with an adorable Instagram post.

The photo that sums up how dads REALLY feel during labour

A new mum shared a hilarious photo of her partner during labour that lots of dads will relate to.

You can never hold your baby too much, says study

From the world of super obvious science comes the news that you can never hold your baby too much.

Babies called Romeo and Juliet born hours apart in the same hospital

Two mums gave birth in adjoining hospital rooms a few hours apart. They had never met, and had each chosen their baby's name earlier in the pregnancy.

Mum organises 'nurse-in' protest at IKEA

It's hard to believe than in 2017 mums are still receiving flak for breastfeeding in public, but that's what one US mum claims happened in IKEA.

Will 'How Not to Hate Your Husband After Kids' be a best-seller?

Author Jancee Dunn hopes her new book will help mums deal with the stresses that parenthood can place on an otherwise happy relationship.

The dad who was taunted for taking paternity leave

They imagined that while I was away, I would be glued to the couch, beer in hand. In no way would I actually be helping my wife.

Photographer surprises couple with rainbow baby shoot

The prettiest and most unexpected maternity shoot for a much-wanted rainbow baby.

Mum's funny solution for finding 'me time' with a toddler in tow

If you've ever been in possession of a toddler, you'll know that it's next to impossible to get anything done.

Qualities my three-year-old has that I admire

My three-year-old daughter is one of the strongest little women that I know. As I watch her grow into this amazing person, I can't help but feel accomplished and proud.

'You need to be present': John Legend on supporting a partner with PND

Singer John Legend has opened up about supporting wife Chrissy Teigen through postnatal depression.

The seven types of 'parent sleep'

The question, "Did you sleep well last night?" should be easy to answer. Either a yes (if you're lucky), or a no.

'Anxiety hit me like a ton of bricks'

Tammin Sursok has written an essay sharing her personal experience with postnatal anxiety.

11 things to do to protect your mental health while breastfeeding

Whether breastfeeding is going well or you are finding it harder than you expected, taking care of you needs to be a priority.

Couple announces they're both expecting - three weeks apart

Being pregnant at the same time as your best friend means double the excitement.

Why Dax Shepard was 'impressed' when his daughter swore for the first time

Actor and comedian, Dax Shepard has given a hilarious recap of the lengths he'll go to get, and keep, his kids asleep.

Video captures beautiful breech caesarean birth

A new life is brought gently into the world with tender and expert hands.

Mum warns of vacuum danger after toddler injured

Every parent knows toddlers can move fast, now one mum is warning about the dangers of allowing small children anywhere near vacuum cleaners.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Win 1 of 10 awesome Peppa Pig prize packs

Who loves Peppa? We have 10 packs to give away - including family passes to see the brand new movie, in cinemas March 16!

Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores

28th - 30th April, 2017, Melbourne Royal Exhibition Building, Carlton. Get your FREE ticket now. Save $20.

Free ticket offer

Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores

28th - 30th April, 2017, Melbourne Royal Exhibition Building, Carlton. Get your FREE ticket now. Save $20.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.