Loss at 21 week...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 glassmarble

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:37 PM

Hi all

It's been almost 3.5 weeks since I have lost my little one. It was unbelievably difficult to cope initially for the first two weeks but now I come to terms with it and am trying to get myself ready for the next pregnancy.

It was my first pregnancy. Everything went very smoothly so I was in 'low' risk in the hospital care plan. My 12 week scan seemed fine, there was no abnormality detected and the baby was growing normally.
However when I went back for 20 week scan, obstetrician told me that baby did not look good. She was not growing fast enough (3 weeks behind) and seemed to have a large liver with echogenic bowel. Also, there was not much amniotic fluid so baby could not move much inside me.
I was referred to a hospital for further testing on the following week and then we found out there was no heart beat anymore....

My husband and I are healthy and fit. Our family from both sides has no history of genetic issue. The blood test result suggests that I didn't have any type of infections during the pregnancy. I am really not sure what caused this.....

We are still waiting on post mortem results which will come out in 2 months time but would like to ask you a few questions

1. Does anyone have similar experience in the past? What would cause this...?
2. I really want to have a baby soon....when can I try again? My obs told me to wait for about 3 months. What's your opinion?
3. I delivered my baby about 3.5 weeks ago and still feel some sort of uterus pain (stretch etc) although bleeding is almost gone. is it normal?

Thanks for reading this. It's been really tough but I have been getting comforts by reading different stories from people and realised I am not the only one. It is such a painful experience which we all can live without....

I can't wait to have a healthy & full term baby soon...... :)

#2 OrchidFlower

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:55 PM

I'm very sorry for your loss :(
I would take the advice of your obstetrician over what others on this forum have done in terms of TTC again.
All the best

#3 miffee

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:13 PM

Hello. I am so sorry for your loss. I had something very similar in my first pregnancy in 2013. My 12 and even 20 week scans were fine but about 22 weeks I started to worry that I had not felt baby move and went to hospital where an untrasound revealed that there was no heartbeat. I was induced and delivered my little boy that night. It was a very sad and challenging time for myself and my partner. We never found out what caused our boys death even the autopsy revealed nothing out of the ordinary.
We weren't specifically trying to conceive but I fell pregnant again about 3 months later. Unfortunately I then had a miscarriage at 10 weeks. All my doctors assured me that there was no connection between these 2 losses, they just happened.
I then fell pregnant a few months later and after a very easy but stressful pregnancy my DD 1 was born in September 2014. Almost exactly 2 years later DD2 was born in September 2016 after another very healthy but fairly stressful pregnancy.
I hope my story gives you some comfort and that you have the emotional and physical support that you need. If you are concerned about still having pain or discomfort you should see your health provider to ease your mind.
Take care of your self and I wish you all the best.

#4 mumto4boys

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:48 PM

I am very sorry to hear about what you went through. Losing a baby is something you will never forget so please be gentle with yourself.

I can't give you any medical advice but I want to wish you well and let you know that there are many ladies here that have been through similar, they will support you and have lots of advice. When you are ready, there are threads on conceiving and parenting after loss.

Wishing you well.

#5 glassmarble

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:36 PM

Thank you all for lovely messages and sharing your story. Life still has to go on, I will keep myself positive and try to conceive again in a couple of months time..

Wish you all well!

#6 AdelTwins

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:33 PM

I'm so sorry. I had a late term miscarriage at 19w last July.

I was allowed to try after one month, but ended up taking 4 months to get pregnant. I'm now 17w and struggling mentally. I'm normally a pretty tough person but both DH and I are on a knife's edge (waiting for this to fail). I'm trying to be as positive as I can... but it's so hard!

I wish you all the best in TTC. It's a tough journey.

#7 EmmDasher

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:12 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost a baby at about the same gestation. I fell pregnant about 6 weeks later. I actually wouldn't recommend it. Pregnancy is so hard on the body and with such a short gap I was effectively pregnant for 14-15 months or something. I desperately wanted a baby but the physical, mental and emotional toll of back to back pregnancies was pretty brutal.

I'd take the advice of your ob and wait. Is it so you can get the results of testing and come up with a plan for future pregnancies?

#8 nasty roses

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:22 PM

sorry, double post

Edited by nasty roses, 22 March 2017 - 10:25 PM.

#9 nasty roses

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:24 PM

No advice but couldn't not reply. I am so sorry for the loss of your precious daughter. Do you want to share her name? I hope you'll have a rainbow baby in your arms soon xx

#10 Pocketmoney

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:40 PM

I'm so sorry. It's a heartbreaking experience that far too many of us have gone through.

I had a spontaneous miscarriage at 12 weeks that ultimately needed a d&c as i was bleeding very heavily. I fell pregnant 6weeks later and it was a hard pregnancy mentally and physically compared to my first one (I have a ds already). Of course it was worth it, my dd is amazing, but if I'm entirely honest I should have waited. I'm still physically run down from the pregnancy and dd is two.

You'll know when you're really ready.

All the best, I hope you have a little one soon.

#11 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:51 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Chrissy Teigen's pride about daughter's adorable first word

Chrissy Teigen and John Legend have celebrated their 11-month-old baby Luna's first word with an adorable Instagram post.

The photo that sums up how dads REALLY feel during labour

A new mum shared a hilarious photo of her partner during labour that lots of dads will relate to.

You can never hold your baby too much, says study

From the world of super obvious science comes the news that you can never hold your baby too much.

Babies called Romeo and Juliet born hours apart in the same hospital

Two mums gave birth in adjoining hospital rooms a few hours apart. They had never met, and had each chosen their baby's name earlier in the pregnancy.

Mum organises 'nurse-in' protest at IKEA

It's hard to believe than in 2017 mums are still receiving flak for breastfeeding in public, but that's what one US mum claims happened in IKEA.

Will 'How Not to Hate Your Husband After Kids' be a best-seller?

Author Jancee Dunn hopes her new book will help mums deal with the stresses that parenthood can place on an otherwise happy relationship.

The dad who was taunted for taking paternity leave

They imagined that while I was away, I would be glued to the couch, beer in hand. In no way would I actually be helping my wife.

Photographer surprises couple with rainbow baby shoot

The prettiest and most unexpected maternity shoot for a much-wanted rainbow baby.

Mum's funny solution for finding 'me time' with a toddler in tow

If you've ever been in possession of a toddler, you'll know that it's next to impossible to get anything done.

Qualities my three-year-old has that I admire

My three-year-old daughter is one of the strongest little women that I know. As I watch her grow into this amazing person, I can't help but feel accomplished and proud.

'You need to be present': John Legend on supporting a partner with PND

Singer John Legend has opened up about supporting wife Chrissy Teigen through postnatal depression.

The seven types of 'parent sleep'

The question, "Did you sleep well last night?" should be easy to answer. Either a yes (if you're lucky), or a no.

'Anxiety hit me like a ton of bricks'

Tammin Sursok has written an essay sharing her personal experience with postnatal anxiety.

11 things to do to protect your mental health while breastfeeding

Whether breastfeeding is going well or you are finding it harder than you expected, taking care of you needs to be a priority.

Couple announces they're both expecting - three weeks apart

Being pregnant at the same time as your best friend means double the excitement.

Why Dax Shepard was 'impressed' when his daughter swore for the first time

Actor and comedian, Dax Shepard has given a hilarious recap of the lengths he'll go to get, and keep, his kids asleep.

Video captures beautiful breech caesarean birth

A new life is brought gently into the world with tender and expert hands.

Mum warns of vacuum danger after toddler injured

Every parent knows toddlers can move fast, now one mum is warning about the dangers of allowing small children anywhere near vacuum cleaners.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Win 1 of 10 awesome Peppa Pig prize packs

Who loves Peppa? We have 10 packs to give away - including family passes to see the brand new movie, in cinemas March 16!

Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores

28th - 30th April, 2017, Melbourne Royal Exhibition Building, Carlton. Get your FREE ticket now. Save $20.

Free ticket offer

Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores

28th - 30th April, 2017, Melbourne Royal Exhibition Building, Carlton. Get your FREE ticket now. Save $20.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.