Migraine Medication

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 AxeTheMax

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:22 PM

What medication have you used to prevent migraines? I have had sandimogran and topamx (that was horrible, terrible side effects) but they haven't worked.

I know that  stress and this crazy weather is causing them, and it's not so much the actual migraine but how they effect my eyes. I have trouble focusing for days afterwards, which makes work harder.

I need to stop them! Going back to the dr when I can, but wanted to hear others experiences.

#2 alchetta

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:21 PM

I used Imigran which is sumatriptan succinate or also Imitrex.
My GP stressed that I really need to take it at the first sign of migraine and sometimes that was hard to detect. It might have been a weak feeling in my arms or some light headedness, nausea or a wave of fatigue, or just a simple headache that would then escalate. I carried it and the repeat script (since they only come in packs of two!) in my wallet at all times.

I found at first when I was taking it, it would basically throw me into a washing machine for half an hour while the drug took hold (I likened it to feeling like I was in a rickety boat out to sea in a storm) and then I would be in a blissful, migraine free state for about 8 hours. It was miraculous for getting through a work day or an event. The migraine might come back later but then I could take another. Over time I found that it may or may not work perfectly, sometimes I just caught the migraine a little too late and then it would help a lot but not wipe it out and I might stay feeling a bit woozy.

Once when it was too late I had the after hours GP come to my house and give me tramadol, that was a stupid idea, I got very sick!

Good luck, migraines are debilitating. I was unbelievably lucky to discover that the contraceptive pill was causing most of mine and now I seem to only get them if I'm excessively stressed, if I strain my neck or shoulders or if the weather is really insane with very high pressure systems (which is probably what you're experiencing now)!

#3 Bugster

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:02 AM

To prevent them or to help stop one when it occurs?

I take beta blockers daily to help reduce severity and freqeuncy of my migraines (without it I get them about once a week, with it I get them once a monthish and they are milder) and take Imigran if one hits. This may or may not work depnding on the migraine and how quickly I cuaght it. .

#4 MrsLexiK

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:11 AM

I'm on relplex I was at a point where I was having more migraines then i was allowed medication in the month. My GP ran my bloods and put me on visane (hormones were out of whack) and my migraines have halved and the severity has decreased dramatically so the relplex with some codeine tablets works wonders now. My neuro wants me on a daily preventer if I find I'm taking more then 6 relplex a month every month however they had some issues with some of my other meds so was trying to avoid that. (I was previously taking the max of 10 a month and still needing them for another 4-6 days)

#5 wallofdodo

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:39 AM

View PostBugster, on 20 March 2017 - 08:02 AM, said:

I take beta blockers daily to help reduce severity and freqeuncy of my migraines (without it I get them about once a week, with it I get them once a monthish and they are milder) and take Imigran if one hits. This may or may not work depnding on the migraine and how quickly I cuaght it. .

I used to take these, I can't remember the name, and it worked really well. I just hated having to take something everyday.

Although I am thinking about going back on them, I stopped when I became pregnant.

#6 Greatmum

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:14 AM

Yes I'm on beta blocker too. Reduced them a lot. I take it twice a day.

#7 BornToLove

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:08 PM

I have tried a number of medications that are taken at the onset of a migraine (imitrex, relplex) and haven't ever really responded well or at all.

My GP recently suggested a low dose antidepressant (10mg Amitriptyline) taken daily. I started 6 weeks ago and it's helped. I still get migraines but not as frequently or severely as I was. Its made a huge difference as my migraines had become debilitating.

#8 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:27 PM

Botox for  me now (read thread in Good News Section).

Done by neurologist every 12wks 31 injections.

Over 30 years I have tried preventers

Sandomigran
Topomax
Epilium
Inderal
Verapamil

Acute meds

Caffergot
Immigran (makes me ill - 8hrs vomiting)
Zomig (didn't work)
Maxalt (put me to sleep)
Replax didn't really work and made me ill.

With Botox Relpax now works with Zofran for the nausea.

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte, 20 March 2017 - 04:52 PM.

#9 Nobody Cool

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:36 PM

View PostMrsLexiK, on 20 March 2017 - 08:11 AM, said:

I'm on relplex I was at a point where I was having more migraines then i was allowed medication in the month. My GP ran my bloods and put me on visane (hormones were out of whack) and my migraines have halved and the severity has decreased dramatically so the relplex with some codeine tablets works wonders now. My neuro wants me on a daily preventer if I find I'm taking more then 6 relplex a month every month however they had some issues with some of my other meds so was trying to avoid that. (I was previously taking the max of 10 a month and still needing them for another 4-6 days)

Please, please tell me more about Visane PP!

I get weekly migraines and a couple of really bad ones relating to specific times of my cycle so I know that at least some of them are hormone related.

I am on Replax - it gets rid of the migraines so I I can function but then I get the rebound migraines within 24-48 hours so I need to medicate those too and it can become a vicious cycle.

I tried the preventer but I put on 4 kg in 4 weeks, was insatiably hungry all the time and it makes me terribly cranky and moody too. I would have put up with all that if had stopped (or at least reduced) the migraines but it didn't.

Edited by Nobody Cool, 20 March 2017 - 04:39 PM.

#10 Nobody Cool

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:39 PM

View PostBugster, on 20 March 2017 - 08:02 AM, said:

Bugster and other PPs can I ask if you get any side effects from the beta blockers? I got a script for them once but chickened out because I was uncomfortable taking such serious meds. Mine are (at least) weekly too. Once a month sounds like a dream.

Edited by Nobody Cool, 20 March 2017 - 04:40 PM.

#11 Mary Whether

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:50 PM

Imigran works for me.  I feel so blessed.

#12 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:51 PM

Beta blockers worked for me for a few years.... then I stopped taking them and started again and had the worst tripped out psycho dreams.... which meant I had interrupted sleep and bad sleep which meant more migraines.

Verapamil are calcium channel blockers and they worked fine for 2yrs, until I needed to up the dosage and I started bad fluid retention.

Sandomigran is so good for weight gain I know they were trialling it for anorexics to get them to eat.

Psycho dreams included thinking my arm was my baby dead in the bed, screaming (waking up DH), realising it was my arm, then tripping again thinking it was my baby dead.... and repeat for 5-10mins. DH was really freaked.

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte, 20 March 2017 - 04:54 PM.

#13 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:57 PM

http://www.essential...-again-post-23/

My Botox thread.

I am a major needle phobic so out this off for 5years when Dr first suggested it. I should have put on my big girls panties much earlier and sucked it up. Life changing.

#14 MrsLexiK

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:34 PM

View PostNobody Cool, on 20 March 2017 - 04:36 PM, said:

Please, please tell me more about Visane PP!

I get weekly migraines and a couple of really bad ones relating to specific times of my cycle so I know that at least some of them are hormone related.

I am on Replax - it gets rid of the migraines so I I can function but then I get the rebound migraines within 24-48 hours so I need to medicate those too and it can become a vicious cycle.

I tried the preventer but I put on 4 kg in 4 weeks, was insatiably hungry all the time and it makes me terribly cranky and moody too. I would have put up with all that if had stopped (or at least reduced) the migraines but it didn't.
It's working wonders for me. I would get migraines from the day before I ovulated until the day of my period and then on the 2nd or 3rd day of my cycle. I take them at night and yesterday I did take one in the morning (as I forgot) and I was a bit vague (my GP told me to take it with a large glass of water if taken during the day - i didnt do this yesterday). previously I had been on the pill for a trial and my migraines were worse, visane  is the opposite hormone. I was worried about spotting so I waited til the first day of my next cycle and touch wood I have had no issues. The first month I still had bad ones but not as many and since then they have gotten much less sever and I find the remedies to try and holt it actually work! My GP has 3 other patients like me and 1 has had her migraines stop altogether and the other 2 are similar to me.

#15 opethmum

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:32 PM

Maybe get your gp to look at Anti-Seizure medications some work in the same way that anti migraine medication does. That has worked for me.

Good luck and I hope you have some improvement. Migraines suck big hairy balls and then some.

#16 Nobody Cool

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:46 PM

View PostMrsLexiK, on 20 March 2017 - 05:34 PM, said:

It's working wonders for me. I would get migraines from the day before I ovulated until the day of my period and then on the 2nd or 3rd day of my cycle. I take them at night and yesterday I did take one in the morning (as I forgot) and I was a bit vague (my GP told me to take it with a large glass of water if taken during the day - i didnt do this yesterday). previously I had been on the pill for a trial and my migraines were worse, visane  is the opposite hormone. I was worried about spotting so I waited til the first day of my next cycle and touch wood I have had no issues. The first month I still had bad ones but not as many and since then they have gotten much less sever and I find the remedies to try and holt it actually work! My GP has 3 other patients like me and 1 has had her migraines stop altogether and the other 2 are similar to me.

OMG thank you for this. Funnily enough I tried the pill again out of desperation recently but it only made them worse - plus a whole bunch of other horrible side effects like constant spotting, water retention and crappy moods.

I just got a new script for Relpax today but will be asking about this next time. Thanks again. I'm so desperate to try something new.

Edited by Nobody Cool, 20 March 2017 - 06:47 PM.

#17 AxeTheMax

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:51 PM

Thanks everyone, so good info, I need to get to my GP - just need to find the time!!

There not anything to do with my cycle, they can come anytime.

With the weather, these days where it's really rainy and overcast to start with then the sun comes out and his muggy and the glare from the sun - I am more likely to get one. I am really hoping once this weather stops being so horrible things will get better.

Nobody Cool - do you get auras? I was told that if you get auras with migraines you should not be on the pill, another reason I hate migraines, I so want to be back on the pill. So over 9 days periods and always getting them when I go away.

#18 Nobody Cool

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:55 PM

View PostVeritas Vinum Arte, on 20 March 2017 - 04:57 PM, said:

http://www.essential...-again-post-23/

My Botox thread.

I am a major needle phobic so out this off for 5years when Dr first suggested it. I should have put on my big girls panties much earlier and sucked it up. Life changing.

I'm an EB regular so I'm not sure how I missed this but wow - what an amazing result! Do the doctors know why or how Botox works for migraines?

I'm keeping this in mind as a last resort but I don't qualify as I don't quite have the necessary quota of migraine/headache days. It was great to read your thread though for a first-hand account. Very happy for you OP, you must feel such a sense of liberation and relief that this has helped limit the impact of your migraines.

Edited by Nobody Cool, 20 March 2017 - 06:57 PM.

#19 Nobody Cool

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:57 PM

View PostAxeTheMax, on 20 March 2017 - 06:51 PM, said:

Nobody Cool - do you get auras? I was told that if you get auras with migraines you should not be on the pill, another reason I hate migraines, I so want to be back on the pill. So over 9 days periods and always getting them when I go away.

Nope, no auras or visual disturbances thank goodness (just a bit of light sensitivity). I was really disappointed that it didn't work as I would have liked it for the contraceptive aspect too.

#20 Nobody Cool

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:01 PM

View PostAxeTheMax, on 20 March 2017 - 06:51 PM, said:

With the weather, these days where it's really rainy and overcast to start with then the sun comes out and his muggy and the glare from the sun - I am more likely to get one. I am really hoping once this weather stops being so horrible things will get better.

Just to add: sunlight and screens trigger mine too and I have started wearing special migraine specs called Thera Specs. They are bloody ugly but they have done away with that trigger at least.

I bought them online one night out of desperation - thinking they were probably just a gimmick - but they work really well and I wear them most of the time now. I no longer get the migraines I used to get from going out running or using my computer a lot.

https://www.theraspecs.com

#21 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:12 PM

View PostNobody Cool, on 20 March 2017 - 06:55 PM, said:

I'm an EB regular so I'm not sure how I missed this but wow - what an amazing result! Do the doctors know why or how Botox works for migraines?

I'm keeping this in mind as a last resort but I don't qualify as I don't quite have the necessary quota of migraine/headache days. It was great to read your thread though for a first-hand account. Very happy for you OP, you must feel such a sense of liberation and relief that this has helped limit the impact of your migraines.

Yes this has been a miracle life changer for me for the past 6m.

I no longer feel like a codeine addict constantly taking codeine (once Botox took hold it was goodbye codeine so no withdrawals or anything so not really an addict but people make you feel like one needing to take it).

I no longer fear a migraine because if I do get one replax and Zofran at first signs helps. TBH if Medicare stopped funding this I would still see my neurologist for it and pay the $350-$400 in full each 12wks.

For me I have felt times where my scalp and forehead twitch wanting to get headachy/migraine like but the frozen muscles mean that it can't take hold. Neurologist says this is unusual but it is what I feel.

I have become more accustomed to the Frozen forehead so it still feels heavy but not like I had fallen asleep against an ice block.

My permanent neck shoulder pain I had had for years (seen physos and chiro for) suddenly went away with the muscles being frozen.

I do occasionally now get pain further down my back when I don't mind my posture but exercise and physio massage helps relieve.

Some more info about it here:

https://www.botoxchr...e.com/botox-faq

#22 Bugster

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:23 AM

View PostNobody Cool, on 20 March 2017 - 04:39 PM, said:

Bugster and other PPs can I ask if you get any side effects from the beta blockers? I got a script for them once but chickened out because I was uncomfortable taking such serious meds. Mine are (at least) weekly too. Once a month sounds like a dream.

My blood pressure lowers a little on them so occassionally if I stand up quickly I get a little dizzy for a few seconds but other then that no side effects I have seen, I have been taking them for 10+yrs . The difference in severity of the migraine is big for me with them, without them my migraines can often land me in hospital.

#23 smudgiekiss

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:49 AM

I know it's been said before and your probably sick of hearing it but truly preventing them in the first place is your road to a migraine reduced life!

I'm 38 and starting getting migraines at 16.  It has taken this many years to work out all of my triggers (I have many) and now I avoid them the best I can I've reduced my migraines to a couple a year.

I think finding out other people's triggers is a great place to start.  A big long list of other people's triggers.  You already probably know some of your triggers.  Some triggers only work if there are other triggers in place already.

Some triggers are really odd and I've finally come to terms with this is how my body is so I have to live this way (avoiding triggers).

I'm completely drug free and wouldn't personally put those drugs in my body.  They can cause more problems than they solve.    Fix the problem don't try to find a band aid solution.

#24 If You Say So

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:14 AM

I have been taking Sandomigran for a few years. They helped initially, but I have weaned myself off them in recent months and have not had a return of the migraines to previous levels (touch wood).

I am also on the pill to prevent the hormonal migraines. They were always the worst by far and very unresponsive to treatments.

One of the biggest changes I had was once I was on blood pressure medication. Just getting my BP under control halved my migraines.

When I get them, I find that Maxalt works a treat on day 3, but I need to be able to lie down / doze for about 1.5-2 hours. I'm not really asleep, but I'm not able to function either. Days 1-2 typically don't respond to maxalt, but do respond to codeine.

I know a fair few triggers (certain perfumes, raw citrus oils - including in body products, too much salami (dammit!), stress including good stress ie excitement over a concert etc), but life is too short to avoid all triggers entirely, so putting drugs into my body is a small price to pay for being able to live the life I want.

Yes, I do get some horrible side effects from the codeine, but compared to three days of wishing I was dead is a small price to pay :) I seem to have become more sensitive to the constipating effects of codeine recently, so I need to learn to manage that better.

#25 seayork2002

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:33 AM

As soon as I feel one coming on I take whatever panadol I have in the house/bag and a tonne of water and I have never had a problem - if I catch it early enough

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

This mum has donated over 2,000 litres of breast milk

The mother-of-two was diagnosed with hyper-lactation.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Call to teach kids about breastfeeding at school

The aim is to increase breastfeeding rates and reduce stigma.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

'Working for nothing': Childcare crisis pushes Sydney parents to the brink

Most parents are experiencing substantial difficulties with the financial burden and lack of availability of childcare, as costs have more than doubled for some families in just over a decade.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Paying $2.50 for a babycino? This is why...

Aren't babycinos just a bit of froth? Not so, it seems...

I'm a stay-at-home mum who's an awful housewife

"Hey, come here a second," my mum said as she replaced the book in my hands with a wooden spoon covered in what I prayed was red sauce. Together, we walked into the kitchen and hovered over the skillet like we were peering into a crystal ball. Looking into my future, I saw me eating a lot of take away.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.