Best resources? HELP

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Gateaugirl

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:07 AM

I'm going to bite the bullet and try toilet training next week. DD2 is very interested in the potty and toilet insert, is doing lots of sitting (though not doing anything yet) and knows when she's done a wee or poo.

And her nappy refusal is driving me bananas.

I'm going to do a big shop and then go nowhere for a week (or two ugh).

I need a good plan.

Please help with your best websites or routines or tips. I've been dreading this!

#2 LuckyMummy ♥♥

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:26 AM

I was like you and felt a bit overwhelmed about how to start. So I just kind of took the plunge. I put the potty in the laundry, rolled up the rug, put towels on the couch and put him straight in undies.

We gave him stickers or a smartie for every attempt at a potty wee. Then reduced that to just a treat for every actual wee.

Took about 2 days of weeing on the floor before he learned to hold it until he got to the potty. Then another week before he was somewhat reliable. A month later and he is pretty good unless he drinks too much (like a while drinkbottle of ribena!) in which case he usually runs to the potty and may wee on the floor before his pants are down.  He has also started doing poos in the potty and most naps are now nappy free. I've even unrolled the rug.

I tried a toilet seat insert but he doesn't like it, tried three different seats and step arrangements but he just couldn't coordinate climbing and pulling his pants down, so we are sticking with the potty for now.

Make sure you give lots of praise for potty attempts. And don't get angry about accidents.

Good luck

#3 Gateaugirl

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:59 PM

Thanks so much, LM. I bought a tub of stickers for something else, but maybe should use them for TT!

Thanks for the tip about towels on the couch.

So you put him back in nappies for naps? Did he find that confusing?

#4 Pip_longstockings

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:10 PM

I found, no nappies and no undies worked best. Even under clothes, my son seemed to remember he wasn't wearing a nappy when he didn't have undies on, even under shorts, but as soon as he had underwear on he felt he was in a nappy and we had more accidents. After a couple of weeks, he could wear underwear no problem and we had no accidents.

#5 LuckyMummy ♥♥

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:16 PM

At first we did nappies for naps, and he would end up saving his wees for his nap and poos too! He only really started getting better at toilet training when I ditched the nap time nappies. So yes, it did confuse him a bit.

But he also gets really upset when he has an accident. So now, I try and coax him to wee before his nap, or I time his nap for immediately after a wee, and he didn't have accidents then.  If he refuses to wee before his nap then I put a nappy on him. It also helps that the potty is right next door to his bedroom and we have taken the side off his cot. So he gets up and goes by himself. He isn't 3 yet so I'm not rushing for him to be 100% trained yet.

We still do nappies if we have an outing that's more than 2 hours long too, if there isn't a good toilet spot that he is comfortable with. (And he refuses to use public toilets, so we take the potty with us! Even to bunnings. Lol)

#6 LuckyMummy ♥♥

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:19 PM

I have to add, due to a long outing this afternoon, we accidentally left him in a nappy. But he still has had two big wees in the potty this evening! Even with a nappy on he managed to pull it down and up again. I am very impressed.

#7 Gateaugirl

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:27 PM

Thanks Pip, I'll keep that in mind. I have some fabric trainer pants but now I'm wondering if I should skip them. It might be easier without them. But how will she learn the pull up, pull down routine?

Thanks again, LM. If she starts following your DS' style, I'll ditch the nap time nappies. Great tip about napping after a wee, though!

#8 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:38 PM

View PostGateaugirl, on 18 March 2017 - 06:27 PM, said:

Thanks Pip, I'll keep that in mind. I have some fabric trainer pants but now I'm wondering if I should skip them. It might be easier without them. But how will she learn the pull up, pull down routine?

Thanks again, LM. If she starts following your DS' style, I'll ditch the nap time nappies. Great tip about napping after a wee, though!

DD spent most of the first period of TT wearing no pants whenever we are at home. She had no problems figuring out how to pull her knickers and shorts down.

My advice is that if it is really difficult, and there is no progress within a few days, it might be better to stop and try again later. Our problem was that reminding DD caused her to not go - little rebel - so she would then wee on the floor. We stopped and waiting 2 months and she then asked to wear undies. She was then mostly done in 3 days.

#9 crazy87

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:24 PM

I've been TT my 3yo in the last 2 weeks. I used the 3 day method outlined by Lora Jensen. Thoroughly recommend it!! It's basically throw out the nappies, put them in pants 24/7 and stay right by their side. By the 2nd day he got it, 10 days on he's reliable.

Google it, there's an ebook you can buy.

#10 Gateaugirl

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:28 AM

Thanks guys, this is all reassuring!

#11 Gateaugirl

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:04 PM

Just an update:

Day 2 of TT and she's doing extremely well. Pantless and knickerless all day except for a nappy at nap time. She's sitting on the potty when she knows she needs to go, and she even pulled off her nappy just before her nap so she could do a poo.

One accident, but that was due to the potty being too far away and she couldn't quite get there in time (running towards it herself).

It's full on shadowing her, but so far so good!

Thanks so much for your advice, it really really helped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Chrissy Teigen's pride about daughter's adorable first word

Chrissy Teigen and John Legend have celebrated their 11-month-old baby Luna's first word with an adorable Instagram post.

The photo that sums up how dads REALLY feel during labour

A new mum shared a hilarious photo of her partner during labour that lots of dads will relate to.

You can never hold your baby too much, says study

From the world of super obvious science comes the news that you can never hold your baby too much.

Babies called Romeo and Juliet born hours apart in the same hospital

Two mums gave birth in adjoining hospital rooms a few hours apart. They had never met, and had each chosen their baby's name earlier in the pregnancy.

Mum organises 'nurse-in' protest at IKEA

It's hard to believe than in 2017 mums are still receiving flak for breastfeeding in public, but that's what one US mum claims happened in IKEA.

Will 'How Not to Hate Your Husband After Kids' be a best-seller?

Author Jancee Dunn hopes her new book will help mums deal with the stresses that parenthood can place on an otherwise happy relationship.

The dad who was taunted for taking paternity leave

They imagined that while I was away, I would be glued to the couch, beer in hand. In no way would I actually be helping my wife.

Photographer surprises couple with rainbow baby shoot

The prettiest and most unexpected maternity shoot for a much-wanted rainbow baby.

Mum's funny solution for finding 'me time' with a toddler in tow

If you've ever been in possession of a toddler, you'll know that it's next to impossible to get anything done.

Qualities my three-year-old has that I admire

My three-year-old daughter is one of the strongest little women that I know. As I watch her grow into this amazing person, I can't help but feel accomplished and proud.

'You need to be present': John Legend on supporting a partner with PND

Singer John Legend has opened up about supporting wife Chrissy Teigen through postnatal depression.

The seven types of 'parent sleep'

The question, "Did you sleep well last night?" should be easy to answer. Either a yes (if you're lucky), or a no.

'Anxiety hit me like a ton of bricks'

Tammin Sursok has written an essay sharing her personal experience with postnatal anxiety.

11 things to do to protect your mental health while breastfeeding

Whether breastfeeding is going well or you are finding it harder than you expected, taking care of you needs to be a priority.

Couple announces they're both expecting - three weeks apart

Being pregnant at the same time as your best friend means double the excitement.

Why Dax Shepard was 'impressed' when his daughter swore for the first time

Actor and comedian, Dax Shepard has given a hilarious recap of the lengths he'll go to get, and keep, his kids asleep.

Video captures beautiful breech caesarean birth

A new life is brought gently into the world with tender and expert hands.

Mum warns of vacuum danger after toddler injured

Every parent knows toddlers can move fast, now one mum is warning about the dangers of allowing small children anywhere near vacuum cleaners.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Win 1 of 10 awesome Peppa Pig prize packs

Who loves Peppa? We have 10 packs to give away - including family passes to see the brand new movie, in cinemas March 16!

Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores

28th - 30th April, 2017, Melbourne Royal Exhibition Building, Carlton. Get your FREE ticket now. Save $20.

Free ticket offer

Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores

28th - 30th April, 2017, Melbourne Royal Exhibition Building, Carlton. Get your FREE ticket now. Save $20.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.