Not taking bottle or dummy

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tanygal

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:36 PM

Hi, my 2.5 month daughter has never liked dummies or bottles
I am breastfeeding but would like her to be able to have a bottle in case I'm sick or if babysitting is needed.
I bought mothers choice and even tried the Minbie bottle with no luck
Any advice and help is appreciated

Edited by tanygal, 17 March 2017 - 02:36 PM.

#2 Bugster

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:47 PM

Can you try a different shaped teat? That may help, or get someone that isn't you to give it can help too I have heard.

My 2nd child never took either bottle or dummy ever no matter what type I tried. She would however happily sip milk from an open cup (not a sippy cup) if needed.

#3 babybug15

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:57 PM

DS was bottle fed for a few weeks due to latching issues. The speech therapist suggested the Pidgeon brand of teat/bottle and they worked well at the time (eventually he was able to breastfeed). He always refused a dummy.

I've seen prem babies being given EBM from a cup- you could try that if she keeps refusing a bottle?

#4 Nastyflea

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:22 PM

Try a tiny cup the size of an egg cup, or even off a spoon if you need.

Mine never took to a dummy or a bottle. Babysitting just didn't happen till she was on solids and able to go more than 3 hours between a feed :(

#5 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:10 PM

DD refused a dummy or bottle. Nothing I did worked. Give it a good go but don't feel alone if it doesn't work.

#6 purplekitty

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:39 PM

Both my children refused to have any bottles ever from anyone.
I tried every bottle and teat available and every brand of formula.
They would use a dummy though.

Sometimes it just won't happen.

#7 tanygal

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:02 PM

Thank you all for your replies.
I have 2 older boys who were never an issue with dummy or bottle and never thought a baby can be fussy till my daughter haha.
I am trying different brands of bottle now but don't think that'll work.
Perhaps until solids or she is old enough for sippy  cups.
Was curious to see if other mums in same boat had any luck with other methods etc

#8 lucky 2

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:16 PM

Another with a dummy rejecting bf baby!
I reckon they work out that breast is everything so why would I want to suck on anything else?
Some are more flexible than others, at 12 DD still has the same personality.
When DD abruptly weaned at 8 months she refused breast, bottle and cup but thankfully she would take a spoon so that's how I fed her.
Very tedious but ultimately successful. :)

#9 Bebe1245

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:37 AM

I realise this tread is s few weeks old, but just in case you're still trying this out. I thought I had a bottle rejecting baby, turns out he was just rejecting it when I gave it to him. With me out of the room my husband tried and he fussed for about 2 minutes then took the lot.

#10 c.sanders

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:50 PM

I used a syringe. The nurpfen type ones. Sooo slow...but works...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win a Springfree Trampoline!

Click now for your chance to WIN a Springfree Trampoline (R54 Compact Round) plus Australia-wide delivery ? valued up to $1774!

Midwife's hand inside birth canal for 90 minutes saves baby's life

Baby Emelia's arrival into the world wasn't exactly smooth sailing.

Melbourne - get your FREE tickets!

Register now for your free ticket (valued at $20) for the Melbourne Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores.

It's really hard work, baby, but still worth it

You are over it and you want to know, is this all worth it?

Vitamin K injections: what you need to know

Why do babies need vitamin K after birth? Here's what you need to know.

Mum's emotional letter on last day of maternity leave

A heartfelt letter from a mum to her nine-week-old son has a struck a chord with working mothers everywhere.

What I learnt after having six miscarriages

Experiencing recurrent miscarriage is like entering an endless dark tunnel. Once you enter that tunnel it is a fight from start to finish

Recall issued for popular brand of baby biscuits

You will want to check your cupboard and give these the flick, after a recall was issued this week.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

See Pinky McKay live - for FREE

Pinky will be speaking daily at the Essential Baby & Toddler Show, Melbourne, 28-30 April. Free tickets now!

Last chance for free tickets

See Pinky McKay live - for FREE

Pinky will be speaking daily at the Essential Baby & Toddler Show, Melbourne, 28-30 April. Free tickets now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.