Do you have a cleaner?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Mrs Q

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:43 AM

So, pretty much every time I clean the shower, I think how great it would be to have a cleaner to do the work instead of me. I've never had a cleaner. Don't know how much it would cost, or what kind of tasks they would do. I am curious as to whether people think it is worth it to pay someone to come into your home to clean it.

Do you have a cleaner? Is it worth it? Do they do a good job? What do you like or not like about it? Would you recommend it to others? Anything interesting you wish to share about having a cleaner? Please tell!

#2 EmmDasher

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:02 PM

We have a cleaner.

2 people for 1 hour every fortnight. It costs about $65. They do bathrooms, toilets, vacuum, mop, kitchen sink & surfaces.

It's fantastic and I wouldn't be without it (unless our financial circumstances changed obviously). They do a fine job. If I had to do it I might do a slightly better job but nowhere near as frequently so, swings & roundabouts.

#3 MrsLexiK

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:06 PM

We do it's $20 an hour ($60 usually plus more on the odd time). Plus we pay $9.48 to the agency an hour. She comes weekly. Showers, toilets, bins, vac and mop and kitchen and she always dusts and cleans my microwave. It frees up more time for DH and I to both work the hours we want/need.

#4 Hands Up

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:07 PM

Yes, we have a wonderful cleaning team come every three weeks and it costs $110. Expensive but they scrub the place from top to bottom and I find it easy to keep the house clean in between because they do such a good job.

#5 Hattie

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:09 PM

Yes, we have a cleaner. 2 people for 2.5 hours per fortnight. Costs $110. They do:
  • clean 3 x bathrooms and toilets
  • clean kitchen
  • dust
  • vaccuum all floors
  • mop hard floors
What I like about it, is they come on Fridays so when we walk in the door on Friday evenings after a huge week, the house looks and smells amazing, and we haven't had to do it!

They do a good job, to be honest they are not as thorough as DH and I are when we do the cleaning, but they do a good enough job that we're happy to pay them continue to do it.

#6 Lallalla

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:11 PM

Yes we have a cleaner, I wouldn't be without her! She is a sanity saver

#7 Claudia Jean

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:13 PM

View PostHattie, on 17 March 2017 - 12:09 PM, said:

They do a good job, to be honest they are not as thorough as DH and I are when we do the cleaning, but they do a good enough job that we're happy to pay them continue to do it.

Yes my experience exactly.  The house isn't sparkly, but working 70-80 hour weeks and having no time to clean, it's a lot sparklier than not having them there at all!

#8 Moukmouk

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:19 PM

I love my cleaner. Two people come once a fortnight, about 1 1/2 hours for $80. Bathrooms done, kitchen (including microwave and oven), really good vacuum (including all the lounge cushions, etc - and we have a dog), mop, surfaces. She will empty the dishwasher and does the mirrored doors of the wardrobes.
DH and I both work full time. Having a cleaner just means that at least I know the basic cleaning is done. I give things a quick wipeover as needed through the week.

#9 Bearynice

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:23 PM

No, I'm it. I am a terrible cleaner too!

If there was spare $60 pw I'd love a cleaner!

#10 schwatzen

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:49 PM

I have a cleaner come every Friday. $35 an hour for 2 hours. They do kitchen, living room, bathroom/loo, DD's bedroom.

They do a great job!

I've had some crappy cleaners in the past though who i've had to get rid of.

#11 SeaPrincess

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:07 PM

We got a cleaner when I went back to work. He comes once a fortnight. Our house is a large 4 bedroom, with 2 study areas and 2 living areas. We pay $110 and he does the following:
  • clean 3 x bathrooms and toilets
  • clean kitchen
  • dust all rooms
  • vacuum all floors
  • mop all floors (hard floors throughout)
As a pp said, it's not quite as thorough as when I do it, e.g. he dusts around things. My priorities for him are the bathrooms and the floors, and he does a great job of those.

In between, Roomba keeps on top of the vacuuming, I clean and mop the toilets multiple times, and we all pitch in to do everything else.

#12 Mrs Q

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:05 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. Very interesting. I'm a little surprised at the cost of some of these cleaners - I sort of expected it to be more expensive, but as I said, I had no idea about price anyway. Now I'm trying to work out if there's something we can cut back on to make that money available for a cleaner....

#13 nikki_205

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:03 AM

How did everyone find their cleaners? It's something I've always wanted to do but couldn't be bothered with the hassle of finding one, organising times, sticking around the first few times until we trust them alone in the house, etc.

DH decided it was time, and bought a scoopon for a clean. We tried 2 cleaners off scoopon but they were both useless when it came to organising a time. They wouldn't commit to a day, one said "we'll let you know the day before we're coming". So we've given up on both those companies.

#14 BornToLove

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:12 AM

We used to have a cleaner when I worked full time. Being part time, it's not in the budget and in theory I have extra time to do it myself.

Anyways, we paid $35/hour. We would have the cleaner come once a fortnight and basically do all the jobs I hated: bathrooms and kitchen plus floors (vacuum and mop) and dusting of whole house. On her off week I would do a quick refresh of the bathrooms and some dusting (our place is very dusty).

Occasionally I would request a 'deep clean' of specific items (oven, outdoor furniture) or a specific room that should be to a 'bond clean' standard (washing walls, light fixtures, windows in addition to the general cleaning).

To answer PP question, we found our cleaner on gumtree. She was a mum who wanted to earn extra money when her kids were in kinder/school. Cleaning allowed her the flexability her family needed. She was insured and provided a record check and several references. My only complaint was that she doesn't work during school holidays so we would go too long between cleans several times a year.

#15 Jelly Bush

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:23 AM

Yes! It feels like an indulgence, I got them when I was working long long hours in a previous role and now I probably could do it myself but I can't seem to give it up.

It's 3.5 hours f/n for a 3 bed 2 bath townhouse. Sometimes I haven't used one of the beds or baths so then I ask her to do something unusual like oven or fridge

She does bathrooms floors kitchen sometimes makes beds if I ask dusting etc. like others say not as thorough as me but makes up for it with consistency!

I'm wondering if I'm paying more than I need really now though as I see others have 2-3 hours a f/n with kids (I'm single so my place never really gets that messy)

I use an agency. It's hard to find a decent cleaner

#16 Taradiddle

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:40 AM

I have had cleaners in the past during particularly busy periods where I couldn't get everything done.

I had one agency cleaner who was $65 for about two hours and did a pretty terrible job.  I'm actually pretty sure she had no idea how to clean, so it was just frustrating as I had to do everything anyway.

I had better cleaners who were more expensive - you get what you pay for, but even then, I found they kind of just wiped over things - eg.  instead of scrubbing the shower recess, wiping it - so soap scum would build up.  

The problem I had with the more expensive ones were they charged per visit - one was 95 from memory and the other was 110 - for that I would expect 2.5hrs to 3hrs of work, but I found they were both leaving after 1.5 - 2 hours.  Which wouldn't bother me if they were doing everything they were suppose to be doing, but they weren't (our house is small and I keep it clean and tidy anyway, I just needed people to do the scrubbing and dusting that I wasn't getting around to).

I am sure there are better cleaners out there who do clean properly, the posters on EB who are cleaners sound like they do amazing jobs, I wish they lived near me!.  

May be worth just trialling a couple, but in all of my cleaner experiences I have been pretty disappointed.

eta - I probably wouldn't have minded so much but I really stretched the budget to 'do the right thing' and pay cleaners a good fair amount, and I did feel a bit like they were taking advantage.

Edited by Taradiddle, 19 March 2017 - 11:43 AM.

#17 AKAmum

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:47 AM

Yes, every Thursday for 2 hours. Mainly for the floors and the bathroom.
DP found our first cleaner through his work. She had a cleaning contract with them. He was talking to her one day as her husband had just died and she got upset and said she didn't know how she was going to pay the bills. We discussed getting her in to do our house once a week and went from there. She came once a week for a couple of years. She was great, but had to finish up due to health issues.
We had a lapse in between the first and second cleaner and really missed that once a week clean!
Our second cleaner I found through the daycare where my kids go. She had a cleaning contract with them and I asked her one day if she did private houses, and we went from there. She is not as good as the first, but does a good enough job for me.
I do extras like windows, deep clean the bathtub etc on weekends when I feel like it.
We pay $25 per hour. If it was 'heavier' cleaning like windows, stove ect I would pay more.

#18 Divine 37

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:02 AM

Yes we do, she stays for 2.5/3 hrs and it is $100 and it really has been a lifesaver.

#19 ms.fred82

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:18 AM

If you have an inside dog, what do you do on the days the cleaner comes? I would like to get a cleaner but I worry about what to do with our dog. She would be fine with them but not everyone likes dogs.

#20 SplashingRainbows

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:25 AM

Yes, every week for 3 hrs. We have a 4bed 3 bathroom place. We pay $82 / week and we found her via an agency.

At first I started her fortnightly but with 2 kids and a bigger house I upped it to weekly.

She does a great job - I never think I could have done better.

My husband and I both work full time - it's much more beneficial for our family to have me working and to pay a cleaner than for me to be home.

I'm toying with extending her hours so she can do the ironing too.

#21 redleaves

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:26 AM

I pay $50 for a lady to come for 2 hours. She is extremely thorough and wipes down surfaces that I don't even think of. I found her on a local Facebook page.

I had a previous lady before I moved house - she was through Absolute Domestics. I paid $64 for two hours. I was quite horrified to find out that they took $18 for the agency fee. I was about to arrange some off the books deal when I moved out of her area.

Edited by redleaves, 19 March 2017 - 09:33 AM.

#22 Inkogneatoh

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:57 AM

The lady we have come every 2 months or so did cleaning as a second job. She comes and does the "heavy" stuff like the bathroom, kitchen, scrubbing mopping etc. As we are a house of 2 adult females, it's enough for us. It cost us $50 for 2 hours last time she was here, and I think we may be the only cleaning she still does. She brings her own mops and cloths and stuff, but uses our vacuum cleaner, and disinfectants, which is what we agreed on. She also does the windows once a year.

As for the question about the dog. The dog just hangs around. She doesn't have an issue with him, and he hates the vacuum cleaner and mops, so goes into hiding.

#23 EsmeLennox

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:36 AM

Yes, we have two people come every week...they are here for about 1.5/2 hours. $97/week.

Like others, they don't always do everything as thoroughly as I would like it, but it frees up our limited family time and makes our life less stressed, so it's a happy compromise.

And they were very accommodating last year when we had a rotten run of kids being sick and I felt like I was forever giving them 11th hour notice of a time change/cancellation for the week etc. So I really appreciated that.

We've had the same company for over two years.

#24 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:08 PM

$75 each week.  They vacuum and mop all floors (the move furniture, vacuum under lounge cushions, etc), clean both bathrooms, dust open surfaces and clean benches.  Every so often they will clean the windows near the entry of the house or the kitchen windows. We have 4 bed 2 bath.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.