Another induction question

24 replies to this topic

#1 Furfeathersfleece

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:48 PM

Please humour me as I go round in circles and over think things.

I am seeing an obstetrician  (public) due to some minor pregnancy complications.  None are a clear reason to have an induction and my ob is happy to induce at 39 weeks  (give or take a couple days)  or to let him come on his own.

Her reason for offering an induction is not so much due to these minor medical concerns but more due to the fact that I've had severe hg this pregnancy, still require prednisone to function and am very miserable. She is unusually hg sympathise  (very refreshing!).

As much as I want this pregnancy to be over, I don't feel particularly comfortable inducing purely to end my own suffering with no real medical indication.

I see her tomorrow and she will book it then if I say to.

So...wdyt?

Is an induction, as she says, safe and reasonable to end my own misery or should I suck it up and just survive another week or so of pregnancy.

#2 Fossy

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:58 PM

Maybe see if your cervix is favourable for induction before making a decision? If favourable perhaps a gentler induction with just ARM might appeal to you more?  Obviousl, inducing when the body isn't ready can lead to further complications.
Only you know how you are feeling and whether you can tolerate a few more weeks of pregnancy.  If you are the end of your tether then your physical and mental wellbeing is a very valid reason to induce.
Good luck!

#3 Ozquoll

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:11 PM

You've suffered enough - get the induction!

#4 babybug15

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:29 PM

If you aren't totally comfortable with the idea of an induction, would a stretch & sweep be a compromise? Or try accupressure or other methods of encouraging labour?

I didn't have HG but by 39 weeks I was definately over pregnancy (ended up being induced at 41wk+2). I don't think you should feel bad about wanting to induce now, but your concerns are valid. It sounds like you have a good empathetic obs, so I'd discuss it further (including exactly what the induction would involve) with them.

#5 Furfeathersfleece

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:58 PM

We've discussed what the induction would involve - admitted the night before for gel then arm then the drip the next morning if things haven't progressed.

#6 Ellie bean

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:38 PM

In my second pregnancy  I had (milder) hg and in addition to some other issues I then got severe PGP in the last few weeks (to the point I couldnt walk) and I was induced at 39 weeks purely to put me out of my misery and because I wasn't sure how I would cope in labor if I couldnt get an epi in time- my OB actually recommended it (and he was generally pretty risk averse). Epidural was put in before the syntocin. Gosh it was awesome, until i got to pushing I felt better in labor than I had for weeks. it would be a "please please induce me" from me!

#7 Furfeathersfleece

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:14 PM

Wow ellie bean...your story almost convinces me.

I too am worried how I'll cope.  I'm particularly ill in the evenings and if I go overnight, as I did with the others, I'm going to struggle.  

An epidural at the same time...so tempting.

#8 mandala

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:04 PM

Only you know where to draw the line for yourself, but I'll admit I drew mine much earlier with DS2! I had nausea and heartburn and PGP and all the usual late pregnancy whinges and I was just done. I was booked in for induction at 39+3 and was happy for it!

I had gel, then ARM, then drip. It wasn't super fun and took ages but I have come to accept that I'm not very good at labour at all.

My OB also practises in a public hospital, and she said that she only offers induction if she really thought it was going to be a successful vaginal birth. I would assume that the OB wouldn't be offering if they didn't think that it would be favourable.

#9 Furfeathersfleece

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:21 PM

Thanks mandala. My ob is very relaxed and positive about induction. She says it's safe and a very reasonable option in my situation. But I still don't feel comfortable with it, as much as I want it.

#10 Lou-bags

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:08 PM

OP I was induced at bang on 39 weeks with DS2.

My OB said that research is showing that inductions in the 39th week of pregnancy have similar (if not slightly better) outcomes for mums and babies compared with spontaneous labour. Especially for women who have had previous vaginal births.

I was induced for a few reasons, none particularly compelling on their own but added together swung the pendulum for me.

My cervix was closed and showed no signs of being ready anytime soon. ARM did nothing. I had the drip gradually turned up over a few hours to max dose. And about 9 hours from drip going in, and just 12 minutes of pushing, I held my perfect baby in my arms. It was a beautiful birth!

I won't lie, the cannula in my hand was annoying, as was the continuous monitoring (until I made the midwife tape them to me with a bucket load of tape) but once I got my groove on it was fine. I danced and breathed and hit my legs until around 5-6cm (about 6 hours from induction starting) then had an epidural for the last 3 hours. Dosed just right so I felt everything I needed to and nothing I didn't.

I was really apprehensive going into it and not sure if made the right decision, but it so was.

Good luck whatever you decide.

#11 lynneyours

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:41 PM

DD1 was an induction with gel on the cervix only.  She was induced due to Pre Eclampsia, that just kept going up despite them doubling my dose of drugs every week.  

DD2 was a spontaneous labour.  Once labour started, they felt the same.  Induction was not more or less painful.  

I had hg with DD1 also - vomiting through labour isn't fun.
I would have no hesitation getting an induction if needed.

Both of mine were drug free, quick, posterior births.

#12 Lou-bags

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:54 PM

Oh that's a good point, too, lynneyours, about the pain.

I had been lead to believe that an induction would be more painful. Granted mine was a slow build (while they slowly turned the dose up as I wasn't responding as quickly as the midwife had thought I might), but the contractions felt identical to my spontaneous labour. I distinctly remember thinking 'oh I remember this!' when they got going.

#13 Ellie bean

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:57 PM

Yeah my first agonising long posterior labour was so much more painful than my second induced labour.

#14 MissMilla

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:21 PM

I had 2 inductions. One was 10 days past due date, baby was ready to come out, i was dialated 6cm when i got to the hospital already, birth was quick and easy.

One was at 39 weeks and boy do i regret that one. I had to do it because of low fluid, so didnt have a choice. But it was a long drawn out painful process and i wouldnt recomend it to anyone unless absolutely necessary.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by MissMilla, 12 March 2017 - 10:22 PM.

#15 Furfeathersfleece

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:15 AM

So had a stretch and sweep and cervix is 3-4cm dilated.  

Induction booked for 1 weeks time though she's very happy for me to reschedule for this Thursday  (says I'm crazy not to).

#16 mandala

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:45 AM

That is sounding very positive! It took me about 10 hours on the drip to get to 4cm, so you are way ahead of both of my induced labours already.

If it were me, I'd do it and not feel guilty.

Good luck!

#17 MadnessCraves

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:47 AM

View PostFurfeathersfleece, on 13 March 2017 - 09:15 AM, said:

So had a stretch and sweep and cervix is 3-4cm dilated.  

Induction booked for 1 weeks time though she's very happy for me to reschedule for this Thursday  (says I'm crazy not to).

Good luck! I'll be following this closely, I may be getting an induction next month, have been wondering how this will all work out.

#18 justcait2

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:58 AM

I had an induction with my second.  Before my waters were broken doctor was able to stretch me to 6cm so was probably going to go that weekend anyway.

Well 2 hours after waters were broken DD was born with only gas as pain relief.

Having said that I have had one spontaneous birth 16 hours, second being the induction and the third a planned CS (twins) with an epi and each one had its benefits but the epidural was awesome I was so much more relaxed.

It I was able to do my time over again knowing what I know now I would for sure have an epidural for all of them.

Good Luck.

#19 Furfeathersfleece

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:33 AM

To update this thread, ds3 decided he couldn't wait for his induction day and arrived spontaneously at 38+6. Had a great, fast water birth.

#20 Moulla

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:13 AM

Congratulations that's wonderful news OP!

#21 cordyline

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:24 AM

Congratulations. What a great update.

#22 lynneyours

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:05 AM

awesome, congratulations

#23 MadnessCraves

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:18 AM

Congrats!!

#24 Ellie bean

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:42 AM

Congratulations!

#25 AlmondButter

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:45 AM

View PostNasty-bags, on 12 March 2017 - 09:08 PM, said:

OP I was induced at bang on 39 weeks with DS2.

My OB said that research is showing that inductions in the 39th week of pregnancy have similar (if not slightly better) outcomes for mums and babies compared with spontaneous labour. Especially for women who have had previous vaginal births.

Yes this was my experience & advice from my obs. I was induced for GDM, which was well controlled with diet & bub going well. This was my second delivery.

Although on induction day my cervix was unfavourable, it was actually a really good labour & birth. They put the gel in & I started contracting fairly shortly after. Active labour was only about 2 hours long & I pushed him out 13 minutes after we arrived back in the labour ward! The quick labour was tough, there was no time for drugs, but because it was so fast I didn't suffer for long.

Hope you have a good experience too. Definitely have a chat with your obs about the latest research on induction. Is this your first bub or have you laboured before?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

At 61, Shammi finally became a mum - then came the criticism

A 61-year-old woman has reignited debate around motherhood and when women are deemed "too old" to become mums after giving birth to a daughter seven months ago.

One mum's secret Mother's Day tradition after adopting her sons

Mother's Day is a time to celebrate all mums, and this mother has found a way to celebrate and appreciate her adopted sons' birth mothers each year.

5 things my wife needs to know before we have a third baby

My wife and I are just about to commit to a family of three children.

Is this the exercise of every tired parent's dream?

When you're a sleep-deprived parent, chances are you'll do almost anything for sweet, sweet, slumber. Would you pay for a nap, however?

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

Midwife fined $11,000 after having affair with dad-to-be

A midwife has been censured and ordered to pay $11,400 after admitting to having an affair with a client's husband.

Why should kids have all the sticker fun?

Stickers are a great little reward when kids have done something useful to encourage them to do it again.

Is this the cutest haka you've ever seen?

It is a war dance that people everywhere are familiar with, but this version of the Haka is one of the cutest you will ever see.

Groundbreaking surgery helps triplets born with rare condition

This little trio were world firsts twice in their first 9 weeks of life.

'I'd hate to see this happen to anyone else': mum's plea

Carly and Nathan Long are trying to raise awareness to save other parents going through the anguish they went through.

The smart phone game encouraging women to 'squeeeeze'

It's like Candy Crush for your pelvic floor. Hopefully, it will be just as addictive.

Why setting your alarm for 5.30am every day could be good for you

There's no doubt that Ashley French adores her children.

Watch the most important golf shot of this dad-to-be's life

Remember when parents used to be boring and just say, "It's a boy!" or "It's a girl!" – as regular spoken words coming out of their mouths?

This newborn knows what he wants - and gets it

The astonished parents of a newborn whose 18-day-old bub is already feeding himself, shared a clip of their little one's feat to YouTube - and it's truly incredible viewing.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.