DD 10 months and finger food

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cinnamonnutmeg

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:08 AM

**I have just posted in the breastfeeding forum about nightweaning**

DD 10 months is refusing to be fed. Flat out refusing anything on a spoon. I have tried giving her a spoon to feed herself and she doesn't. She does everything but feed herself. She also once rejectedfood because I put it on the spoon she was holding. The only food that has been successful has been chocolate custard.

All of this wouldnt be a problem except for the whole "balanced diet diet" thing. Vegetables need to be provided in finger food form and she just chucks the food she doesn't want to eat (read: pretty anything but cheese).

I have come to accept that I can feed her nothing  (not even yoghurt) but I am struggling to find ways to feed her.

She tastes things but spits them out, very little gets in her belly (and then she supplements by breastfeeding too much). People say to give her what we eat but she eats tea an hour earlier than us and I am currently cooking tea twice.

I was going to make her some things like veggie filled meatballs and freeze them but our freezer is tiny and already full. I also don't think I'll be able to store enough to give her a decent varied diet (she gets bored easily. 2 weeks ago she was all about apple rings. Now she looks at them like I'm giving her dog poo)

I'm at a bit of a loose end really. She is constipated alot because the only thing I can get in her are crackers and cheese and bits and pieces of capsicum, cucumber, peas, watermelon and meat. She doesn't mind meat.

Has anyone else had a fussy eater who only liked finger food? What did you do? How did you feed them? How did you stop going crazy from the insane amount of food waste?

Thanks!

#2 blimkybill

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:29 AM

My third DD never took any food from a spoon. I just gave her a range of finger foods.
From reading your other post, I think your DD will increase her intake once she is not feeding so much overnight. In the meantime you may need to regard meals as tasting opportunities rather than meals as such. It just expect and accept she will not consume much and a lot will be wasted. Offer small meals of a few different foods. Does she eat toast or bread if it is cut into tiny squares? That way you can make something really quick, eg cheese sandwich, avocado toast. Your idea of little meTballs with some veg in is a good one, also little pike lets with grated veg in May be eaten. I don't think you need a massive variety, just a number of healthy options on rotation. But you are right that she probably won't actually eat much until she feeds less overnight. So hard as it is, try not to worry about the intake.

#3 Starletta

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:53 AM

We never spoon fed. Only finger food. You may not like my advice but she's only 10 months, I'd step back and just let the process happen however it happens. A big part of eating with babies is learning. Don't stress about how much is actually going in.

We did baby led weaning and at times I wondered if mine would ever eat, it mainly went on the floor or in their hair. At 4 and 18 months they are now voracious eaters with varied diets.

#4 Ellie bean

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:34 AM

I don't think I have ever fed my dd a single mouthful on a spoon- she always insisted on feeding herself.
As long as your baby is tasting stuff I wouldn't worry much about food intake before age 1.

#5 Pocketmoney

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:25 AM

I agree with the pps, dd didn't eat much food until about 18 months when she suddenly found she wanted it. Where possible I'd try to eat breakfast, snacks and lunch together, then save a small portion of your dinner to give her the next night, so she's getting lots of interesting flavours but you're not cooking twice so much.
While smudging food through her fingers won't fill her tummy much, she will be learning a lot about textures and will taste the food when she licks her fingers.

#6 Mooples

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:34 AM

Ds went through a stage at about the same age of throwing everything on the floor. I kept picking it up and offering again and again. The thing that made a huge difference for us was eating meals together. I know it's really tricky at dinner time but is there any way you can eat together or even if you have a snack that is similar to what she is eating at the same time as her. Eventually ds starting putting more and more in his mouth and now at 17 months he is a pretty good eater.

I've made mini meatballs, mini savoury and sweet muffins, mini pikelets, mini quiches, veggie fritters all with varying degrees of success. I would always offer somethings you know she will eat and somethings you want her to try so she goes to bed with something in her belly other than just milk.

#7 mayahlb

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:37 AM

My oldest didn't really take to eating until he was over 1. Actually he didn't really take to eating until I basically cut his milk down to 3 x 100ml a day in a sippy cup. I didn't stress too much about it to be honest and just kept offering food. Mostly in chunks because he didn't like being spoonfed.

Second child I didn't even bother trying to spoon feed (I'd heard of baby led weaning by then). He just got chunks of vege, slices of meat. Basically food very similar to what I would normally eat. Except I lightly steamed the vege so they were not too hard. If you struggle with dinner, then I would keep aside some from the previous night and just give her that for dinner. I did lots of leftovers so I wasn't cooking too much.

Some hits for us were:

vege frittas (just grate vege, mix in a little bit of egg and flour and fry)
mini impossible quiches
savoury muffins
scrambled eggs
steamed vege sticks with roast chicken slices
frittatas
vege sticks and a dip (big big big hit)
pasta
meatballs with quinona and vege
meatloaf
chicken drumsticks
chicken wings
lamb chop
pork chops
(all the above served with vege)

Edited by mayahlb, 08 March 2017 - 10:41 AM.

#8 Nastyflea

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:41 AM

Someone told me to look at what they eat over a week, not a day.
So maybe some days all they'll eat is cheese and crackers and milk, other days they'll eat veggies, one day meat etc. In a week that's not a bad variety of food.

Also, give her leftovers from the night before, that way you're cooking once and only reheating hers earlier.

I used to keep a few spoonfuls of dinner aside for the next day, but DD also took AGES to get eating, well over 12 months. breastmilk is still a pretty complete meal.

DD also loved pate on toast strips! lots of iron and easy to eat. Or strips of steak.

#9 mayahlb

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:15 AM

Oh and if she is a bit constipated, my go to was always things like tinned peaches (in juice of course), or tinned two fruit. A child that old doesn't actually have to eat a lot to be getting all their required food intake especially if they are still breastfeeding a lot.

My youngest was failure to thrive (health related, he ate plenty it was more his absorption being an issue), I spent a lot of time with a pead dietician and she surprised me with the realisation of what I expected him to eat being a lot more then was really required at that age.

Oh another couple of things my boys like were riceballs, just sticky rice combined with vege and rolled into a ball. I used to add a bit of egg to help it all stick together and then give it a quick fry or steam (my kids ate a lot of eggs under 1, it was an easy way to get extra protein and calories into them). You can add cheese instead of egg if you like and then just steam it for about 1-2 mins. Rice "porridge" was also a big hit, as I would just chuck in heaps of vege and a bit of meat and some stock and boil it gently until the rice was ready. Because it was sticky rice (as in I didn't wash the rice first to remove the starch) it was easier for them to eat (also a good way to encourage how to learn how to use a spoon, though they often used their hands.)

Edited by mayahlb, 08 March 2017 - 11:16 AM.

#10 cinnamonnutmeg

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:34 AM

Thanks for the reassurance. I have relaxed a bit as the weeks gone on and figured out what she will and won't eat (though its constantly changing haha). I have also given up on all spoon fed foods for the moment.

Her constipation has changed from being hard nuggets toher holding on for a few days and having a poosplotion.

Babies are fun lol

#11 mandala

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:36 PM

I just posted in your nightweaning thread!

One way that helped me let go at mealtimes for DS1, who refused to be fed from day dot, was Ellyn Sattler's division of responsibility. I choose what and when, he chooses whether and how much.

I also looked at it as modelling what a 'proper meal' was - so, a protein, some carbs, lots of vegies of different colours. DS1 all of a sudden at about 18 months started to eat the vegies I'd been diligently chopping up and then picking up off the floor to put in the compost. DS2 is still getting there, but at least no longer throws everything he doesn't want to eat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Postnatal depression and the feelings that scare mums most

"I was shocked and horrified that I'd had this thought. That's not me."

A toddler’s step-by-step guide to avoiding bedtime

How many of these tactics does your toddler employ at bedtime?

Melbourne - get your FREE tickets!

Register now for your free ticket (valued at $20) for the Melbourne Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores.

The great toddler chase: every pregnant mum's nightmare

This is the funniest photo ever. We've all been there!

Would you do this to your baby in a carseat?

One mum looked that fear in the face and shared how important it is to think about adjusting the straps on our kids' car seats.

The secret to fitness after having a baby

It turns out that taking a more flexible approach might be the best way to make it happen.

Frustrated mum's genius plan to stop dinner time battles

Hands up who is sick and tired of cooking dinner for their kids every night only to have them complain about what's on their plate.

Photo shoot captures the dirty work of parenting

What do you do when you want a sweet maternity shoot but it just won't stop raining?

Could this simple thing help you avoid the 'baby blues'?

Researchers are now looking at whether the nutrients you ingest after giving birth can help reduce your likelihood of developing the baby blues.

We face more judgement than our mums did, study finds

We're judged more than our mums were - science says so.

As a mum, it's hard to ask for help. And that needs to change

Yesterday was a bad day for me. I started feeling ill a couple of days ago but battled on, as we do.

Why I don't care about your gender reveal

So you're having a baby? That's great, babies are awesome.

Dad's simple baby soothing hack

When this dad's baby wouldn't stop crying he took matters into his own hands. He also recorded what he did to let other people in on the simple hack and now it's going viral.

Husband gives birth after his wife was unable to fall pregnant

After his wife struggled to conceive, transgender man Chris Rehs-Dupin decided to give it a go.

10 things I thought about motherhood before I actually became a mum

Everyone is a parenting expert until they have kids – right?

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

See Pinky McKay live - for FREE

Pinky will be speaking daily at the Essential Baby & Toddler Show, Melbourne, 28-30 April. Free tickets now!

Free ticket offer

See Pinky McKay live - for FREE

Pinky will be speaking daily at the Essential Baby & Toddler Show, Melbourne, 28-30 April. Free tickets now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.