Too many S's?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Nasty nut

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:50 PM

DP has narrowed down the boys names list I gave him to 4 finally. The surname starts with an S, and has a soft c at the end, like the second c in chance. Two of the names are James and Miles. Too much hissing?

Other two options are William and Owen, if it matters.

#2 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:55 PM

Unfortunately I think the two s sounds together are a bit much, but your alternative names are great too. A vote for Owen, followed closely by William.

#3 GingerCats

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:57 PM

I know exactly what you mean ;)
I think many consonants can go together reasonably well in this context but not S.
Love Owen.

Ethan
Aidan
Evan
Liam

Edited by GingerCats, 17 February 2017 - 08:00 PM.

#4 kerilyntaryn

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:59 PM

I think Owen and William will go better

#5 little lion

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:15 PM

I don't normally like S sounds running into each other. So I pick Owen!

#6 eigne

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:26 PM

My name ends in an S sound and my surname also starts with S. It means people just run the sounds together so it sounds like a single world. I think the same would happen in your scenario eg JameSconce or MileSconce (I'm just making up a surname here!).

I think Owen is the best pick, followed by William.

#7 gemgirl

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:29 PM

James Sauce (or whatever) doesn't sound good, neither does Miles Sauce (I don't think anyone has the surname Sauce but it helps me to 'hear' it)

William Sauce
Owen Sauce
both sound good. I would avoid James and Miles

#8 Plaxy

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:00 PM

I love Miles so it's a pity, but I don't think James or Miles work well with surname. I really like William.

#9 ljbellus

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:21 PM

I'm team William.  Unfortunately I agree too many s's doesn't roll off the tongue.

#10 Gudrun

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:23 AM

I wouldn't do it.  William for me.

#11 Gateaugirl

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:27 AM

Another William here.

#12 B.Nasty

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:09 AM

I also think too much hissing.

#13 kerilyntaryn

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:16 AM

Owen first

#14 Silverstreak

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:25 AM

All your names are lovely, but yeah, the first two will be a bit awkward sounding with your surname, I think.

#15 Astrocyte

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:34 AM

I think Willian or Owen would go better with your surname. My vote is for William.

#16 Nasty nut

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:16 AM

That's what I thought..... Well, it helps narrow it down!

So Edward, Henry, and William. Like it better, but top ten name, matches better, but a bit too well (English kings, anyone?)

Or Edward, Henry and Owen. Perfectly respectable name, though I don't love it as much. Doesn't quite match as well, but not so different it sounds strange. And only just in the top 100, plus I don't know any, whereas I know of a couple of little Williams.

Almost there!

#17 Gudrun

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:32 AM

Edward (NN Ned), Henry and William (NN Will) would all be great choices IMO.

Edited by Gudrun, 18 February 2017 - 09:33 AM.

#18 Plaxy

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:55 AM

I like Edward, Henry and William a lot more than Owen. I think those 3 are all great choices

#19 born.a.girl

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:17 AM

Another not keen on hissing, and the fact that as per pp, it becomes 'Jame Sconce.'

I had a similar issue with Maeve, given my surname started with a V.  (Still does, strangely.)  She would have been constantly correct people who thought she was called 'May'.

#20 MsLaurie

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:36 PM

Would you go for Jamie or Milo instead?

#21 Nasty nut

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:11 PM

James would get Jamie as a nickname, but a bit informal as the actual name, esp with my other two. I don't dislike Milo, but it's a bit cool for our family: we are a strange mix of conservative, lefty greenies: hence the very old school English names of out first two.

#22 kerilyntaryn

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:57 PM

I think Edward, Henry and William is better

#23 Bereckii

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:35 PM

I really like both. I probably lean more towards William.

I think the English kings thing will certainly occur to people around the time of the name announcement ("Oh! Royal theme, very English."), but would most likely then immediately be forgotten. I don't think it would be a big issue, don't let that stop you.

#24 **Xena**

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:07 PM

I love Owen so that's my vote :)

#25 Nasty nut

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:45 PM

So we decided on William...... and he's a girl!

All that angst, but we are now delighted with our little family of Edward, Henry and Philippa!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

At 61, Shammi finally became a mum - then came the criticism

A 61-year-old woman has reignited debate around motherhood and when women are deemed "too old" to become mums after giving birth to a daughter seven months ago.

One mum's secret Mother's Day tradition after adopting her sons

Mother's Day is a time to celebrate all mums, and this mother has found a way to celebrate and appreciate her adopted sons' birth mothers each year.

5 things my wife needs to know before we have a third baby

My wife and I are just about to commit to a family of three children.

Is this the exercise of every tired parent's dream?

When you're a sleep-deprived parent, chances are you'll do almost anything for sweet, sweet, slumber. Would you pay for a nap, however?

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

Midwife fined $11,000 after having affair with dad-to-be

A midwife has been censured and ordered to pay $11,400 after admitting to having an affair with a client's husband.

Why should kids have all the sticker fun?

Stickers are a great little reward when kids have done something useful to encourage them to do it again.

Is this the cutest haka you've ever seen?

It is a war dance that people everywhere are familiar with, but this version of the Haka is one of the cutest you will ever see.

Groundbreaking surgery helps triplets born with rare condition

This little trio were world firsts twice in their first 9 weeks of life.

'I'd hate to see this happen to anyone else': mum's plea

Carly and Nathan Long are trying to raise awareness to save other parents going through the anguish they went through.

The smart phone game encouraging women to 'squeeeeze'

It's like Candy Crush for your pelvic floor. Hopefully, it will be just as addictive.

Why setting your alarm for 5.30am every day could be good for you

There's no doubt that Ashley French adores her children.

Watch the most important golf shot of this dad-to-be's life

Remember when parents used to be boring and just say, "It's a boy!" or "It's a girl!" – as regular spoken words coming out of their mouths?

This newborn knows what he wants - and gets it

The astonished parents of a newborn whose 18-day-old bub is already feeding himself, shared a clip of their little one's feat to YouTube - and it's truly incredible viewing.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.