Moving from cot to a bed

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 newbub2014

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:25 AM

DS is 2, will be 3 in June.  I'm aware that a lot of children this age are already sleeping in a bed, I'm just not sure how to make this transition (and whether I even need to yet or whether I can hold off?)

He is a big kid but has been sleeping fine in the cot for the last month.  Prior to that he went through a couple of months of not sleeping well, so now that he is sleeping through in his cot 7:30pm - 6:30am consistently, I am reluctant to change him to the bed!

He has a single bed in his room that we read stories on and he calls it "my bed" even though he has never slept in it.  It is quite high up though.  Other option would be to take the side off the cot and have it as a toddler bed first before transitioning to the bigger bed.

Should I move him (and if so how!?) or just leave him as is...?

#2 José

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:27 AM

My opinion is if it aint broke dont fix it!
Never mess with sleep!

If you are happy with how things are now and there is no pressing need to change i would leave things the way they are

#3 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:28 AM

Following this because our story is identical and I was wondering the same thing.

#4 seayork2002

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:29 AM

We heard a loud noise and as our son was in a cot we panicked until we saw a little face at the top of the stairs with a cheeky grin - he climbed over the top

We just put him in the single bed with a doonah on the floor as he fell out a bit and that was it

#5 Nastyflea

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:37 AM

Leave him until he starts climbing out(if he ever does, my DD never did).

You may find once he's in a big bed he'll not stay in there but get up constantly, because he knows he can.

#6 Akadia

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:51 AM

We have a son the same age (born in August) that hasn't tried to climb out of his cot. He also sleeps from 7:30 to 6:30

We talked to Daycare about it and they said don't move him if he's happy in there so in there he currently stays.

He still sleeps on the floor at daycare fine.

When he does transition we're going to get him a trundle bed under his (also high) single, so if he does fall he'll fall onto something soft. We'll also likely put a bedrail and position the bed so one side is against the wall.

#7 Future-self

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:15 AM

Don't mess with it! It's not a milestone to be reached in a hurry so protect your and his sleep :)
You can start talking about 'big beds' and buy new linen, set up The bed the way it's going to be in the lead up to prepare him. We had the bed set up and ready to go a couple of months before Dd was born in the hope that he'd move into it before Dd needed it at about 4 months. Didn't happen, he loved his big bed but wouldn't sleep in it. So we bought a new cot for DD, and let DS move into the bed in his own time. Which one night he just did when he was 3 years 3 months and it was completely drama free , not one night of missed sleep or drama.
We got a bed rail for DS too and placed the bed against the wall.

#8 MadnessCraves

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:15 AM

I turned the cot into a toddler bed and it was fine for me. No dramas. I'm aware that that doesn't work for everyone but I do think by 3 it's a good time as any to start trainsitioning to a bed.

#9 Ianthe

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:26 AM

My kids didn't climb out and they were in cots until 3. I don't think there is a need to move them unless they are uncomfortable or danger is involved.

#10 EmmDasher

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:16 AM

If he's happy & safe then there's no need to move him. My DD is a similar age. I couldn't have lifted her in & out while I was heavily pregnant. Also, now she's toilet trained she needs to be able to get up & use the loo.

Our cot does convert but we needed it for child 2. DD went straight into a single bed with pool noodles tucked under the sheet to stop her falling out. She's been fine. There have been some hiccups not overall the positives of the single bed win out for us.

#11 newbub2014

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:31 AM

Thanks everyone! EmmDasher, the pool noodles sound like a great idea!

I'll leave him for now, he actually did go through a phase of climbing out and I was trying to get him in to sleep in the bed because of how unsafe it was, but now he hasn't climbed out for a month (we moved house and all of sudden he started sleeping perfectly again).

I'll leave it for now and make this a problem for down the track... although I'm hoping if its done when he's a bit older he might understand better and stay in his bed.  Probably wishful thinking though

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win a Springfree Trampoline!

Click now for your chance to WIN a Springfree Trampoline (R54 Compact Round) plus Australia-wide delivery ? valued up to $1774!

Midwife's hand inside birth canal for 90 minutes saves baby's life

Baby Emelia's arrival into the world wasn't exactly smooth sailing.

Melbourne - get your FREE tickets!

Register now for your free ticket (valued at $20) for the Melbourne Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores.

It's really hard work, baby, but still worth it

You are over it and you want to know, is this all worth it?

Vitamin K injections: what you need to know

Why do babies need vitamin K after birth? Here's what you need to know.

Mum's emotional letter on last day of maternity leave

A heartfelt letter from a mum to her nine-week-old son has a struck a chord with working mothers everywhere.

What I learnt after having six miscarriages

Experiencing recurrent miscarriage is like entering an endless dark tunnel. Once you enter that tunnel it is a fight from start to finish

Recall issued for popular brand of baby biscuits

You will want to check your cupboard and give these the flick, after a recall was issued this week.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

See Pinky McKay live - for FREE

Pinky will be speaking daily at the Essential Baby & Toddler Show, Melbourne, 28-30 April. Free tickets now!

Last chance for free tickets

See Pinky McKay live - for FREE

Pinky will be speaking daily at the Essential Baby & Toddler Show, Melbourne, 28-30 April. Free tickets now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.