Reflux - ? Losec not working

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Rainbow17

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:20 AM

Hi there,
I am desperately after some advice & help. Sitting here with my eyes stinging from lack of sleep.

My 12 week old has been on Losec for weeks now. Well over 6 weeks. He has been on the compounded version but I'm beginning to wonder if it is even working or if he has something else wrong with him??

I can't decide if he has silent reflux & the Losec isn't working or if he has severe colic? All the symptoms run into each other.

I'm thinking of changing his Losec medication from the compound mixture, but wanting some advice. What have others used & found to be more effective?
Any advice ASAP would be greatly appreciated

X

#2 Tired & Nasty

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:56 AM

My understanding is that Losec doesn't stop the reflux , it just stops acid production so it doesn't burn when it does come up the throat.
Less acid production does also mean that less comes up too.

i also found buying the tablets , cutting and dissolving in a small amount of water  works better than the mixture made by chemists.

Edited by Tired & Nasty, 14 February 2017 - 05:58 AM.

#3 Ellie bean

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:05 AM

Cutting and dissolving worked better for us too- the quality of the compound depends on who makes it and often the mixture isn't effective for long
Give it at least 20 mins before a feed if possible, also it worked better for us splitting the dose into 2 doses at 12 hour intervals
What dose is he on? You may need a higher dose, or something like Zantac
What are his poos like? Any explosiveness/ frothiness? Reflux often (not always) goes hand in hand with dairy and/ or soy intolerances. You could speak to your dr about cutting out some foods (if bf) or switching formulas (if ff)
Have you tried raising the head of the cot?
Swaddling helped mine sleep a bit- love to dream swaddles were awesome
Even typing this takes me back to those hideous days- hang in there, I'm sure you're d a great job

#4 Ellie bean

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:06 AM

Also, colic just means unexplained crying- if Drs trot out "colic" to you as if it means something, just remember it doesn't and ask for a better explanation

#5 sophiasmum

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:08 AM

From memory (long time ago as DD is now 13.5) we tried losec first & then ended up on zantac. Once we reached the 6 month mark she improved A LOT.

#6 MrsLexiK

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:08 AM

We put our youngest on nexium.it worked so much better for him. He still wasn't a great sleeper mind you but he became a happy baby.

#7 Prioritising Pooks

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:58 AM

There is great advice here and other paths to try. How is feeding going? Does baby vomit? Hang in there, there's hope.

#8 Rainbow17

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:25 AM

Thank you all so much everyone.  
My son is on 2mg/ml having about 1.5ml twice a day. The solution is from our local pharmacy who say they "compound" but i don't actually think it's a true compound like a Sydney pharmacy.
I have read some mothers prefer dissolving Losec tablets even though it tastes horrible for the baby.

Yes we have tried tilting his cot, swaddling. I have also cut out dairy/wheat in my diet.
His poos are quite explosive & often have some mucous in them. He is exclusively BF.
At night time it is like he is only happy & settled if he is on the breast or sleeping on my chest.
He is usually a pretty "happy" baby but just doesn't sleep (as soon as you put him down he wakes), and is extremly fidgety & rigid while feeding.
Screams in the car & pram also 😩😩😩

Has anyone used the compounded solution from a real compounding pharmacy??

Thanks 😊

#9 EmmDasher

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:46 AM

We used to get the compounded solution from our compounding pharmacy but our Paediatrician was very against it. The liquid compound is not particularly stable. The shelf life is only about 3 weeks and it's hard to tell when it loses effectiveness until you have a screaming banshee again. It's more expensive and tricky to get a hold of.

We switched to the tablets. We dissolved them in a little water and spoon fed them to DD. Babies aren't conditioned to appreciate taste so she never cared about that and took it without issue.

The dosage your baby is on seems quite low. DD started on 5mg/day but by 3 months had progressed to 2 x 10mg doses per day. She weaned off the losec at 6months.

Edited by EmmDasher, 14 February 2017 - 09:47 AM.

#10 RichardParker

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:53 AM

I had a lot of success with losec - but just half a tablet dissolved in a few mLs of water and given orally via a syringe, twice daily.  But that was for diagnosed (with a camera down his throat) severe reflux.  DS got to liking the taste of it and I found it settled him well.  I still give it to him occasionally even though the paed said it doesn't really work like that - that you should give a regular dose consistently to keep the acid in the stomach at a level that won't burn him.

Anyway, my (totally non-medically-trained) understanding is that losec either works fairly quickly or not at all.  That is, if the problem is reflux then losec should fix it, and if it's not working, then it might be something else.

The other thing I thought of when you were talking about frothy poos is lactose overdose.  This happened with my DS1 when I kept swapping breasts, and all he got was the watery fore milk, and none of the fattier hind-milk.  So I started feeding him for two or three feeds on one breast before changing sides - he ended up getting more of the fattier hind-milk and was fuller and more settled, and the frothy poos calmed down.  Maybe you could try that.

Hang in there - you're doing a great job and those early days are so tough.  It won't be like this forever, I promise.

Edited by RichardParker, 14 February 2017 - 09:56 AM.

#11 EmmDasher

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:05 AM

I missed the bit about the mucousy stools. It would be worthwhile going back to a GP for further investigation & a medication review (type & dosage).

If you get a proper intolerance/allergy review then it will save you restricting yourself unnecessarily.

#12 Ellie bean

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:11 AM

My DD was on 20mg a day too from about 3 months, that dose is quite low (assuming of course the problem is reflux)
It was only a combo of elemental formula and the humigh dose of losec that resulted in improvement for her but she was pretty extreme, if your baby is generally happy you hopefully wont need to go that far
Agree with pp about looking into lactose overload

#13 chicken_bits

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:37 PM

When DD was 5 months we ended up with a referral to a Paed because the meds the GP was able to prescribe weren't doing anything to help her (she was vomiting 10 or so times a day and was screaming for hours at night). She was put on a stronger dose of Zantac and it was magic. She was able to come off it around 9 months once she was sitting/standing.

#14 ms mel

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:16 PM

As others have said already, check the dose. It should be nearer to 5-10mg twice a day. The compounded version must be stored in the fridge and have the pH checked to get the longest expiry date possible. That is still usually 3 to 4 weeks max. Chat to your doctor about changing the dose or changing the medicine.
All the best. I survived a reflux child but only just.

#15 lucky 2

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:10 PM

Would you consider seeing a LC, she could take a full feeding history, observe a feed and sharecinsights if she has any!
Its unknown if it can help at 12 weeks but it might. :)

#16 Furfeathersfleece

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:31 AM

Zantac is what helped my ds1. Might be worth a try?

#17 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:03 PM

Zantac worked well for us. I think we had to increase the dose 3 times between 7 weeks and 6 months because of weight gain.

Sleep schools can also help. When I was in one 75% of the babies were already on reflux meds of one kind or another. Some of them had their doses adjusted/ medication changed.

Good advice from PPs

You will get through this.

#18 Ellie bean

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:53 PM

Hope things are okay OP

#19 IamtheMumma

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:09 PM

We did the half tablet losec tablet dissolved in a couple of mls of water twice a day. 2mg sounds like a really low dose. I thought starting dose was 10mg? I also used gaviscon for the the first few weeks to help keep on top of the acid reflux. After that time had passed and DS was more upright, I dropped the gaviscon and just stayed on losec. I think he came off it around his first birthday.

I second seeing a lactation consultant.

#20 EmmDasher

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:21 AM

IamtheMumma, on 16 February 2017 - 11:09 PM, said:

We did the half tablet losec tablet dissolved in a couple of mls of water twice a day. 2mg sounds like a really low dose. I thought starting dose was 10mg? I also used gaviscon for the the first few weeks to help keep on top of the acid reflux. After that time had passed and DS was more upright, I dropped the gaviscon and just stayed on losec. I think he came off it around his first birthday.

I second seeing a lactation consultant.

The OP's dose is 1.5ml twice a day and the concentration is 2mg/ml. That's 6mg per day. The starting dose was around 5mg when my DD was diagnosed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

How dare anyone accuse a mum of 'milking' a miscarriage

A heartless comment from a stranger shocked the already devastated radio host Em Rusciano.

How breast milk can help relieve your baby's teething pain

Try one mum's simple parenting hack to ease your baby's discomfort.

Top 10 common health myths busted

To help combat the misinformation and spread good health, here are the most common health myths compared to fact.

How to make flying with a toddler more bearable

After almost three years of living in Canada, it was time to pack our bags, bundle up our three children (including our two and a half year old Toddler) and pray to the heavens above, before flying to Aussie Land to see our family and friends.

Breastfeeding may help with caesarean pain, says new study

Breastfeeding after a caesarean section may help manage persistent pain, finds new research on the post-birth experience of new mothers.

Recall notice: fourth cot recalled in less than one month

A recall notice has been issued for yet another cot sold in Australia -the White New Zealand Pine 3-in-1 Baby Sleigh Cot Bed with Drawers.

A baby girl, a baffling disease - and the only way to help her is to hurt her

Every morning, Kevin Federici pulls on a head lamp, sterilises a sewing needle and prepares to prick his baby girl all over her tiny body.

If you make your own baby food you'll love this Instagram account

Tired of making carrot purée? Take a look at this mum's homemade baby food creations.

The unique baby names literally no one is choosing

After a unique baby name for your little one? Here are the monikers no one chose in 2016.

'It's such a boost': mum receives 'thanks for breastfeeding in public' card

It was the boost one mum needed at just the right time.

Sharing makes young children happy - just don't force them

There are many emotional benefits to sharing, but only if it's voluntary.

5 ways to a healthy pregnancy

An easy pregnancy that results in a healthy baby: that's the dream.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.