Birthday present ideas

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 FretfulMum

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:54 PM

DS will be 2 next month and I need present ideas!!!

He's a bit developmentally delayed due to being premature & has only just started walking as he has cerebral palsy. He's a very busy boy though!

I was thinking of getting him a ride on car (just the type he sits on and propels himself). My husband wants to get him a car with pedals but do you think he'll be able to coordinate pedalling in the next year?

Other ideas (for his grandparents) are an easel with drawing/painting stuff and a toy car park with a ramp for playing with his cars.

What great toys did your kids get?

#2 Grrrumbles

Posted 11 February 2017 - 02:52 PM

Cozy Coupes are great as they have a bit of resale value when outgrown. They have a removable bottom. I would also look at plastic slides, a toddler trampoline, water play table - anything that is fun but encourages new skills.
We havent owned one but my kids have loved the (huge) Fisher Price Wheelies car ramp when we have stayed somewhere that had one.
Just for fun think about bubble machines, balls that light up when thrown or a pram for dolls and teddies.
Peddles, probably not in the next 6 months maybe longer in your situation, would be better as a 3 year old gift I think.

#3 Bird1

Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:25 PM

I second the cozy coupes. Best car around

#4 José

Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:48 PM

Cozy coupe is great.
I bought a pretty heavy duty plastic slide that got lots of use.
Water table is a great idea.

#5 Furfeathersfleece

Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:50 PM

I am another cosy couple fan! Ds1 got one for his second bday and now 2yo ds2 loves it.

Other things my 2yo enjoys -

Play doh, stickers, painting, kinetic sand

He's really big on imaginative play so we have a timber bus, rocket ship and pirate ship with little characters.

Our toy kitchen is used every single day.

We got him a balance bike for his 2nd bday but he doesn't use it. He enjoys his 3 wheel scooter though (maybe not suited if your lo has just started walking?).

Basic puzzles

Basics like blocks are still really popular

Books

Music instruments

Forgot the water table - hugely popular!

We also have a little tykes cubby that 2 and 4 year olds both use a lot.

Edited by Furfeathersfleece, 11 February 2017 - 03:51 PM.

#6 MsLaurie

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:46 PM

We gave our little one an ikea kitchen with lots of accessories- wooden vegetables, mini pots and pans, tiny mixing bowls etc. She totally loves it and still plays with it almost daily several months later

Other popular presents have been a safari duplo set, some abc kids DVDs (Hey Duggee, Peg + Cat), a metal xylophone and a little harmonica.

#7 Bearynice

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:22 PM

A car ramp to zoom cars on

Plastic slide

Little people vehicles and characters

IKEA indoor tent

If you have a patch of concrete he might like chalk and paint brushes

Our kids liked those basic trikes for about $20 frombig w or Kmart. It's easy for little ones. Ours had a trailer, so everything got driven around and dropped off.

Cosy coupe is good but bulky (so depends if you have much outdoor space)

#8 CookieCutter

Posted 11 February 2017 - 09:18 PM

We got DD a convertible :)

Actually, it's called a wishbone flip and it's awesome!

http://www.ecotoys.c...hbone-flip-red/

DD was a late walker and this has been an excellent toy for her. Not cheap, but very good value for money.

#9 FretfulMum

Posted 12 February 2017 - 01:18 PM

Ok great! Thanks for all your ideas!!

I'll definitely look at the cosy coupe, I think DS would love it but will have to convince DH it's not to bulky.

We Got DS an IKEA kitchen for Xmas and he already has a water table. It looks like the painting/craft things will be good gift ideas so will get the family onto that!

#10 José

Posted 12 February 2017 - 01:22 PM

I also love the happy hands happy heart playdough. Its on Facebook

#11 AdelTwins

Posted 12 February 2017 - 01:36 PM

Duplo was a huge hit in this house. Not sure if that would help with the CP or just be frustrating?

https://shop.lego.com/en-AU/DUPLO-Sets

ETA - despite moving onto smaller LEGO, the Duplo is still pulled out every second week at 5yo.

Edited by AdelTwins, 12 February 2017 - 01:38 PM.

#12 DM. 2012

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:43 PM

A toy rubbish truck. k-Mart has one for about $20.

#13 LucyGoose

Posted 12 February 2017 - 10:20 PM

My DS is the same age.  He loves his garden tools like a mower, wheelbarrow, rake etc.
I'm getting him a micro mini scooter,  your DS might be a few months off using a scooter but they are very stable and good quality product.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'He said what?': partners' worst pregnancy clangers

Women have been sharing the worst things their partners have said to them while pregnant, and trust us they're bad.

'Cafe's babycino ban makes no sense'

It's an insult to families and bad for business.

The importance of welcoming everyone into your 'mum tribe'

"Not everyone has the luxury of a village." 

How to have a healthy vegetarian pregnancy

Q: Is it possible to have a healthy vegetarian or vegan pregnancy?

The 200 most popular baby names of 2017

Here are the most searched names so far this year.

Dirt is good for children, study confirms

Great news for grubby kids.

How dare anyone accuse a mum of 'milking' a miscarriage

A heartless comment from a stranger shocked the already devastated radio host Em Rusciano.

How breast milk can help relieve your baby's teething pain

Try one mum's simple parenting hack to ease your baby's discomfort.

Top 10 common health myths busted

To help combat the misinformation and spread good health, here are the most common health myths compared to fact.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.