What do I want for my 40th? UPDATED, we have a winner

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Nasty Jerk

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:04 AM

A party has been ruled out.  I had a vague idea about having an OS trip but that's off the table too.

Give me some ideas - I'm open.
(Victoria based)

Edited by Nasty Jerk, 07 February 2017 - 07:46 PM.

#2 MarigoldMadge

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:18 AM

For my 40th, I got the following.

My lovely brothers and their partners all chipped in and gave a pair diamond earrings.

I had a night at the Royal Mail in Dunkeld, and stayed in their old converted cabins.

I got vouchers to Relish Mama cooking school (love that place), massage vouchers, etc.

I had a party, just a casual BBQ for a lot of people and it was fun.

For my 50th, I want to walk the Great South West Walk and/or the Great Ocean Walk.

#3 tres

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:23 AM

I received a "future heirloom" piece of jewellery and I cherish it.

#4 AlmondButter

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:23 AM

A night or two in a fancy hotel with a nice dinner out & some time in the spa? That's what I'd love! Throw in a scenic location for bonus points :)

#5 Mummaduke

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:26 AM

Mine falls in the middle of Easter this year so I'm having a small gathering with a few friends the weekend before.  On the actual day I think we will be camping, so a quiet day probably.  I am also having a weekend away with my best friend later in the year and we will probably go to Daylesford.

Its taken me a while to accept I probably won't have some amazing, glamorous party with loads of friends.  Probably because I don't have that many friends, my family is OS and I have young kids still.  I'm now ok with not really doing anything on the actual day.

Can you get away for a night somewhere? A long weekend in Daylesford? How about a night in the city with a dinner and walk past Crown to see the flames?  High tea at the Windsor Hotel followed by some shopping in Collins St? Hot air balloon ride?

It really depends I guess on what you like to do? Have you got time to sit and really think about what would resonate with you and help you to feel you marked this special occasion significantly and appropriately.

#6 seayork2002

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:05 PM

I went to Tasmania for 5 nights for mine - so a mini holiday?

#7 Tinned asparagus

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:08 PM

I wanted a cruise to Tahiti but got a baby via caesarean instead. Probably doesn't appeal either!

A really nice weekend away with no children or internet appeals.

How about a class? Cooking, learn a language etc N something you can do in the evenings or on the weekend for several weeks.

#8 Tinkle Splashes

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:11 PM

It's my 40th this year too.  One of my friends posted on facebook today that she is having a "massive party" on the Amalfi Coast for hers.

I don't usually get facebook envy, but I did this morning!

Mine is coming up fast and I don't know what to do.  Our money is being drained by family court proceedings, our annual leave is entirely devoted to spending with my step kids in the rare event that their mother allows them to spend time with us, my emotional strength is being drained by work/life/family court/all of the above.

My DP asked me a couple of weekends ago what I wanted to do for my 40th, and I cried.  He's been too scared to bring it up again.

#9 Nasty Jerk

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:48 PM

Bumping for more suggestions - I e decided I'll
Show DH this thread :evilgrin:

#10 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:44 PM

Something from Tiffanys in a blue box!

Glad I went that option rather than a party - I had very bad gastro for 3 days and a 6mo baby so at least it was something I got to keep not miss out on!

#11 lizzzard

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:00 AM

I got a special edition Montblanc pen. I use it every day and love it.

#12 Therese

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:08 AM

I would go away for the weekend to somewhere very nice.

#13 Morally Bankrupt

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:20 AM

A years membership to something you're really interested in but you never buy because you feel guilty spending money on yourself; art gallery, museum, magazine/international newspaper subscription etc.

#14 Handsfull

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:45 AM

Definitely put a list together or you'll get a tennis racquet and shoes like I did.

#15 Nasty Jerk

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:45 PM

So after DH (who is highly intelligent but not the sharpest knife in the block) suggested I pick up the kids after work then drive to his work to go out for tea - a 65km/1hr trip with no possibliity of wine, I thought about where do I really want to be.

Easy - sitting by a pool, ignoring the kids and drinking sweet red wine.
My feet were hurting at the time of this thought so add in a mobile masseuse.  And that's what I'm doing with a few mums from DD's school.

#16 carriesshoes

Posted 08 February 2017 - 08:27 PM

Mine's this year too.  Instead of having a huge party, I decided that I'd rather take my favourite people to and extremely fancy dinner where the food is to die for.  Have great conversation, no kids, and enjoy something we never do.

Then the following weekend a picnic in the park with some other special people and the kids too, so that they can be part of the celebration.

As for a gift... got myself a nice watch, but am eyeing off a Tiffany's gold necklace <3

#17 Kylie Orr

Posted 11 February 2017 - 01:32 PM

I had a women's only afternoon champagne tea.

(I wrote about mine here http://www.essential...20150515-gh30ba)

Then hubby, kids and extended family joined us for dinner that night.

It was bliss. I got to do all the things I love in one day - chat, eat, drink and then spend relaxing time with my family.

Good luck deciding!

#18 Quay11

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:12 PM

I had a gathering at a really nice, eclectic pub that also had a great patch of grass for the kids to run around in in my favourite city of anywhere (Freo). Very low key, but nice food, a few drinks, kids had a blast and I caught up with friends I hadn't seen in ages :)

#19 The Little Engine

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:39 PM

My 40th is coming up in August.

I have had a completely dreadful 18+ months which saw me eventually having to leave an abusive marriage 12 months ago. There has been issue after issue with XH being really nasty and I am completely worn out :(

My Mum has gently asked a couple of times what I want to do.

I have NO idea.  Finances are really tight.  The best I can come up with is a weekend away somewhere with close family - but not sure I'm even up to that - and August isn't really great weather in Vic!

A party would be very awkward - some long term friends would feel strange due to the nasty nature of the marriage split.  Besides I was cut off from pretty much everyone before the marriage eventually broke down and I've been too busy to re-connect :(

I am completely lost and reading this thread hasn't inspired me too much...  I'm open to ideas however.

#20 nup

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:53 PM

The Little Engine I think a shopping day with a personal stylist, a blowdry and a pedicure could be needed for you. Followed by a meal at your favourite location or somewher you always wanted to go. Something that helps to build you up and is an investment in yourself. I'm sorry you've had so many losses. Sometimes the best celebrations are the smaller ones with those who really matter.

#21 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:58 PM

It sounds like you need some 'quiet time' all to yourself and to do something you will enjoy not have to 'work' on if you have to pack up kids etc. I somewhat agree with Nup, making an investment in yourself and being kind to yourself would be really good idea, but I find shopping too hectic to be relaxing for me.  

It is fun to 'update' your wardrobe. On the other hand, if that isnt in your budget and you do feel like a quiet, relaxing day, can your mum look after the kids and give you a day or better 24 hours 'all to yourself'?

You could plan to do some things you dont usually, like sit around in the foyer of a fancy hotel and have a couple of coffees (each coffee is expensive, but its actually cheap overall for going out), look at an art gallery (lots of galleries are free or have free or minimal cost sections) and then have lunch with just a couple of people you havent had time or opportunity to catch up with. Or go to a gold class movie with or without them.  If the budget stretches, get a massage, haircut or pedicure. Ask your mum to take the kids to choose you a picture frame, vase or similar that you will keep.  And have a cake and sing along with the kids.  Its ok not to have a big party!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'He said what?': partners' worst pregnancy clangers

Women have been sharing the worst things their partners have said to them while pregnant, and trust us they're bad.

'Cafe's babycino ban makes no sense'

It's an insult to families and bad for business.

The importance of welcoming everyone into your 'mum tribe'

"Not everyone has the luxury of a village." 

How to have a healthy vegetarian pregnancy

Q: Is it possible to have a healthy vegetarian or vegan pregnancy?

The 200 most popular baby names of 2017

Here are the most searched names so far this year.

Dirt is good for children, study confirms

Great news for grubby kids.

How dare anyone accuse a mum of 'milking' a miscarriage

A heartless comment from a stranger shocked the already devastated radio host Em Rusciano.

How breast milk can help relieve your baby's teething pain

Try one mum's simple parenting hack to ease your baby's discomfort.

Top 10 common health myths busted

To help combat the misinformation and spread good health, here are the most common health myths compared to fact.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.