4.5 mth old - too much sleep?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kittycat01

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:02 PM

DD is number 3 for me with older DS1 7yrs and DS2 4yrs. She screamed lace down for first 8 weeks and finally got used to the wind in her tummy and settled down. I weaned her onto formula at 3mths as she was feeding every 90 - 120 mins and using me as a dummy all night - and that wouldn't work with the older two at home over school hols.

She started sleeping through once I put her on formula as she discovered her thumb. We were on hols a couple of week ago with a long drive each way (12hrs). Since th n, she's also doing long day naps.

She's down 7.30pm till 8am at least (often have to wake her). Then she only lasts 90 mins to 2hrs max before doing another 2-3hr nap again I have to make her). She's keeping about 18-19hrs a day. It seems too much to me..last child had severe reflux and never slept so maybe I am just a little unused to it?? I hate waking her but she's missing feeds otherwise.

She's not that interested in feeding and I do have to do several goes to get a 200ml bottle into her. Some feeds she only takes 100-120ml so all up, she is taking 5 bottles totalling 750-800ml. She was the same with BF so I constantly worried if it was enough.

She's definitely getting enough stimulation while awake and not overdone usually..

I can't be this lucky with a dream baby..can I? She'll surely turn back into the demon spawn next week as she is teething now too. It's great and all that, but I am a little chained to the house with feral boys as a result.

Anyone else have a baby like this??
Kitty

#2 livelifelovehappy

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:28 PM

My daughter would sleep 16-17 hours a day for the first year or so. BUT she was an extremely tiny premmie. I think she was using the sleeping time to grow, because she is now really tall. She also had reflux and we had to use formula, this definitely kept her fuller for longer than my breastfed son. I think reflux meds can make them sleepy - this is just my opinion and speculation...

I too was worried and we had her checked out by a ped. They did blood tests to check iron etc.

I think a Mama knows - if you're concerned you could ask for a ped referral...

My girl is now a preschooler and she still loves her sleep. But it's worth asking the question I think.

#3 livelifelovehappy

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:29 PM

Yes and chained to the house with a feral boy is exactly what it is like. Why couldn't the sleeping baby be the first one?!

#4 Lou-bags

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:38 PM

My DS2, 4 months, is a bit like this- he does about 12 hours overnight (with two feeds), then can only stand to be awake 1-2 hours before needing another sleep (the naps range between 45 minutes and 3 hours. Usually one longer one and then a few 45 min to 1.5 hour sleeps). It's entirely new for me too as my first was a lower sleep needs baby, and he wouldn't nap in his cot ever either.

I'm actually glad my good sleeper came second (and I realise I'm heading into the sleep regression so could change, and that's ok, I feel like I hit the jackpot anyway so I'll be stoked even if it's only 4 months of brilliant sleep before it all goes to crap).

I don't think I would have coped well with DS1 if he'd been my second, but as it was it was all I knew so I just go on with it. I don't know how I would have coped with having to hold him for sleeps with another child to take care of.

My DS2 feeds less frequently than number one, and isn't as urgent and demanding about being fed. But he's just about cracked 9kg at 4 months so while it's new to me to have longer gaps between feeds, he's still porking up like his big bro did.

The thing that concerns me in your post, though, OP is your worries about your baby's eating. For that reason, I think a trip to the GP and/or paed is a good idea. Just to be on the safe side. Is she gaining wait well?

#5 FloralArrangement

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:59 PM

My 2nd child was like this. We used to joke that I got her up to show dh every three weeks So he saw her. Dd is now a fiesty 18 year old. Making up for awesome sleeping habits as a baby with the truly terrible threes and the extremely grumpy late teens.

#6 Riotproof

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:14 PM

I would look at whether she's hydrated enough - so lots of wet and dirty nappies, whether she's gaining weight steadily - some pharmacies have baby scales you can use, and other general development. If you have any concerns about those, you need to follow up.

#7 LUV-MY-KIDS

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:53 PM

That was my DS he was a boring baby.  He slept through by 6weeks (no complaints) would only be up a couple hours and back for 4hr naps.  He was still doing 4hr nap when he started school.  Child care use to put him in the walk in cupboard with the toys as he outslept everyone else.  They use to have lunch at 11 and he would be asking to go into the room as soon as he had finished eating.  They would often wake him at 3 as that was outside play.  

Yes they do exist.

#8 maryanneK

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:00 AM

Sounds like my DS! I never had trouble with feeding though

#9 chicken_bits

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:05 AM

From what I remember from my sleep school days, 4.5 month olds should be on 3 x 2 hr naps a day and 12 hrs o/night. So that's 18 hours. I'd say the formula is keeping her going for longer than if you were bfing? Enjoy it while it lasts. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Chrissy Teigen's pride about daughter's adorable first word

Chrissy Teigen and John Legend have celebrated their 11-month-old baby Luna's first word with an adorable Instagram post.

The photo that sums up how dads REALLY feel during labour

A new mum shared a hilarious photo of her partner during labour that lots of dads will relate to.

You can never hold your baby too much, says study

From the world of super obvious science comes the news that you can never hold your baby too much.

Babies called Romeo and Juliet born hours apart in the same hospital

Two mums gave birth in adjoining hospital rooms a few hours apart. They had never met, and had each chosen their baby's name earlier in the pregnancy.

Mum organises 'nurse-in' protest at IKEA

It's hard to believe than in 2017 mums are still receiving flak for breastfeeding in public, but that's what one US mum claims happened in IKEA.

Will 'How Not to Hate Your Husband After Kids' be a best-seller?

Author Jancee Dunn hopes her new book will help mums deal with the stresses that parenthood can place on an otherwise happy relationship.

The dad who was taunted for taking paternity leave

They imagined that while I was away, I would be glued to the couch, beer in hand. In no way would I actually be helping my wife.

Photographer surprises couple with rainbow baby shoot

The prettiest and most unexpected maternity shoot for a much-wanted rainbow baby.

Mum's funny solution for finding 'me time' with a toddler in tow

If you've ever been in possession of a toddler, you'll know that it's next to impossible to get anything done.

Qualities my three-year-old has that I admire

My three-year-old daughter is one of the strongest little women that I know. As I watch her grow into this amazing person, I can't help but feel accomplished and proud.

'You need to be present': John Legend on supporting a partner with PND

Singer John Legend has opened up about supporting wife Chrissy Teigen through postnatal depression.

The seven types of 'parent sleep'

The question, "Did you sleep well last night?" should be easy to answer. Either a yes (if you're lucky), or a no.

'Anxiety hit me like a ton of bricks'

Tammin Sursok has written an essay sharing her personal experience with postnatal anxiety.

11 things to do to protect your mental health while breastfeeding

Whether breastfeeding is going well or you are finding it harder than you expected, taking care of you needs to be a priority.

Couple announces they're both expecting - three weeks apart

Being pregnant at the same time as your best friend means double the excitement.

Why Dax Shepard was 'impressed' when his daughter swore for the first time

Actor and comedian, Dax Shepard has given a hilarious recap of the lengths he'll go to get, and keep, his kids asleep.

Video captures beautiful breech caesarean birth

A new life is brought gently into the world with tender and expert hands.

Mum warns of vacuum danger after toddler injured

Every parent knows toddlers can move fast, now one mum is warning about the dangers of allowing small children anywhere near vacuum cleaners.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Win 1 of 10 awesome Peppa Pig prize packs

Who loves Peppa? We have 10 packs to give away - including family passes to see the brand new movie, in cinemas March 16!

Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores

28th - 30th April, 2017, Melbourne Royal Exhibition Building, Carlton. Get your FREE ticket now. Save $20.

Free ticket offer

Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores

28th - 30th April, 2017, Melbourne Royal Exhibition Building, Carlton. Get your FREE ticket now. Save $20.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.