Breastfeeding advice in the Parents Room....

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#26 Nastyflea

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:25 PM

I have no issue with who uses the cubicles, what I do have issue with is going into a parent's room to (BF) Dd and seeing 2 cubicles full and the one couch remaining with a FF baby by her mum and the other 2 seats taken up by the 2 men with her.

If you're not feeding a baby at least offer to stand up so other people can sit to feed.

Yes I'm sure I could have asked them to move but I had PND and anxiety and breastfeeding in public was hard enough as it was, without men taking up chairs in the parent's room.

I fed in the car a few times. Radio on, undercover out of the sun, no one looking.

#27 superhotd

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:38 PM

Thanks for all your feedback Girls.

I knew both cubicles were taken by FF's as one Lady had the curtain open & the other the husband was heating the bottle up for his partner in the cubicle.

My mistake here was assuming the cubicles were designed more for breastfeeders, my apologies to those I have offended with that assumption.

I am a shy girl so could not ask a Mum or Dad to move just so I could feed.

Anyways, I have learnt my lesson & for the record after a rocky start with much perseverance I love breastfeeding & am so proud I can.

#28 lucky 2

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:59 PM

No, the rooms are for infant feeding irrespective of the method. But they are not just for feeding, that's the only place that nappy changing facilities are situated, usually.
Both FF and BF mothers might need to sit down somewhere quiet, could be post birth exhaustion, C/S recovery or perineal trauma.
Or going through the distractible baby stage.
Could be that mothers (and fathers) might think this is where you "should" feed your baby.
I only used them for nappy changes as they usually stank to high heaven with poo, but they seem to be a bit bigger these days so that might help dissipate the smell.
Try and bf in a cafe, perhaps at the back or in a corner if you wish. You could also turn the seat so it gives you more privacy.
Maybe your confidence will pick up so you will have more freedom. :)

#29 rosie28

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:40 PM

View PostJBH, on 11 January 2017 - 01:32 PM, said:

Generally first in best dressed.  That said, when my babies were a bit older, if I happened to use a parents' room I would have stood for someone with a tiny baby.

Edit: nothing to do with breast or bottle, just because I remember how it was to be a nervous parent of a really little baby, needing everything for feeding to be just so.

Yep this- although even when mine were tiny they happily breastfed while I was standing so I'd have moved if someone looked like they were going to sit on the floor.

#30 casime

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:58 PM

First in, best dressed, but I think it's acceptable to ask a grandparent/partner/friend to stand up if they are taking up a chair and there are no others available.

#31 Overtherainbow

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:08 PM

I found I often fed in the car.  I could park in the shade, feed bub and then head to the shops.  

My first, I was more comfortable feeding in private; I was happy to feed the others in more open surrounding but there are still limited quiet spots.

Cafes are great but you can't sit there without purchasing.  The rest of the seating at shops are very public seating.

I think it would be great to have some general quiet seating for parents feeding and for elderly or those with disabilities to just sit and catch their breath.  Unfortunately, it wouldn't make any money though.

Is there room for more seating where you went?  Could you suggest they add additional seats (not necessarily in cubicles?

#32 MadnessCraves

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:09 PM

First in first served.

Those chairs are for ANY feeding carer. Regardless of breast or bottle If you need a seat taken up by a non feeding person in there, find that voice to ask if they can move.

Ultimately you could also just put in feedback to centre management about lack of chairs. The feeding rooms at the nearest big store normally has a cubicle or two and a lounge.

Ultimately the cubicles are not just for breastfeeding. Some mothers also feed bottle feeding is just as private as breastfeeding, especially when unwanted unhelpful advice is dished out when you're out.
Some like you feel shy about bottle feeding. It doesn't matter how you feed your baby, no one gets more rights over seating because they're feeding one way opposed to the other.

I've personally made complaints to centre management when once I walked into a parents room to find two men using the room to hold a work conference with zero children in there. They took both cucible chairs and had their laptop and papers out. I didn't feel safe or comfortable feeding there.

#33 Aerith

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:22 PM

This is why I use a BF shawl. I can feed anywhere, good for distracted or fussy babies, I won't spray anything or anyone with forceful letdown, and privacy. Also, department stores like Myer and David Jones also have their own parent rooms which are usually not as busy as general shopping centre ones (although can be a bit dirty..)

But yes, first in first served. Everyone is entitled to same amount of privacy.

#34 Fright bat

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:35 PM

What's wrong with sitting on the floor?

#35 Prioritising Pooks

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:39 PM

People use those cubicles for expressing too. Even if you see someone heating a bottle, they may also be expressing. I think expressing mums should get the highest priority of all for a private seat! I have a friend who is expressing and using a special bottle for a cleft palate and I think she should have a red carpet rolled out on her way to the parents room ;) I've only ever used the curtained area to only bottle feed if there was no other seating and I think people do generally try to leave the space for those who need it.

#36 Nastyflea

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:53 PM

Floors are filthy in public areas. I can't get up and down off the floor easily, especially with a newborn and recovering from the birth.

We shouldn't HAVE to sit on the floor, there should be enough seating ideally.

#37 liveworkplay

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:57 PM

3 kids breastfed and I never understood why people would voluntarily sit in the poo stench of a parents room. One of mine was a sticky beak hen feeding but I always managed to find a quite, poo smelling free, spot to feed.

Edited by liveworkplay, 11 January 2017 - 04:57 PM.

#38 Mummy_Em

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:57 PM

View PostThe Fright B4 Xmas, on 11 January 2017 - 04:35 PM, said:

If you are comfortable then nothing, but if your baby fusses or you are still getting their latch right, or still recovering post-birth it is difficult.

I remember sitting down on the floor about 2 weeks post c/section with dd2, to try to engage dd1 in a speech therapy assessment. When it came time to get up I thought I might be stuck down there! But I managed to get up with only a little discomfort.

#39 Riotproof

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:01 PM

View PostStarletta, on 11 January 2017 - 01:21 PM, said:

First in best dressed. It's definitely not any easier to bottle feed standing up then it is to breastfeed standing up?

Why is it a hard one? Why would breastfeeders get preference?

I don't understand either. In most shopping centres I frequent, there are maybe two feeding rooms and also a sofa outside with some toddler play stuff.
But failing that, you've got no option but to wait or go elsewhere. Waiting I know is not really an option in most cases, but TBH I wouldn't have thought the floor was either.

#40 Starletta

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:15 PM

In case you're ever in Castle hill, the DJs parent room is always clean, empty and quiet. I've never seen anyone else in there! It's at the back of he store and it's like no one knows it's there. I always head to a department store if we needed to use a toilet or feed, good for the early days when you're not as confident. Hasn't failed me yet.

#41 Seven of Nine

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:15 PM

I remember that it hadn't occurred to me that bottle feeding parents might want to sit in a cubicle to feed when my oldest was a newborn many years ago. I used the parents room to feed because I was still learning and when Baby came off my breast was completely exposed. In fact my breast was completely exposed at many times throughout each feed! OP your question was a reasonable one.

Several kids later I know more about babies and I can see many reasons why people might want to feed in a cubicle. I also haven't fed anyone in a parents room since my oldest.

Edited by Seven of Nine, 11 January 2017 - 05:16 PM.

#42 Kallie88

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:30 PM

I would say first in first serve, there's really no other way to do it i don't think. It's a shame you had to sit on the floor - though i get it, i physically couldn't bf standing, would not work. But might have just fed on a chair elsewhere, though i realise that's a comfort and privacy thing too.

#43 Nasty Bunsen

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:45 PM

Thinking back to my post partum self with 5kg of baby to juggle the problem with sitting on the floor is getting down there and getting back up again!

#44 Appleaday

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:49 PM

OP I suggest one of those breast feeding aprons so you can fed anywhere (if you are more comfortable covered that is), I used one religiously for my first but my second I didn't care as much but always liked to wear a breast feeding top so minimal nipple was exposed.

The best thing about the aprons is the they loop out at the front so baby's head is not actually covered like with a blanket.

#45 unicycle

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:04 PM

It is the getting off the floor again, holding the baby, that completely stuffed my sacrum for the next three months: thanks for nothing,  relaxin.

#46 CallMeFeral

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:09 PM

View PostOvertherainbow, on 11 January 2017 - 04:08 PM, said:

I think it would be great to have some general quiet seating for parents feeding and for elderly or those with disabilities to just sit and catch their breath.  Unfortunately, it wouldn't make any money though.

Actually my local Westfield has some lovely random seating areas interspersed throughout the shops. It's really nice actually, and yes I often see seniors resting, people (presumably) waiting for their other halves to come back from somewhere, and my kids often wanted to stop and sit at them as they were quite pleasant looking.
They also have a random area with beanbags and free wifi. All really nice, and way more pleasant to breastfeed in than the parents rooms!

#47 Avocado tree

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:25 PM

I had terrible time getting DS1 to latch, having to expose practically all of myself to get him on.  Curtains and privacy were crucial for me to feel comfortable, and for him to concentrate.  I had and have no interest in normalising breast feeding for others. It was pretty much all about me and my bub, rightly or wrongly.  Some parents rooms were spacious and clean ,and others not so much.  In the end for me , I worked out that going back to my car, parked in the multistory carpark of my local shopping centre (so in the shade) , doors locked, gave me room and privacy and I have to say I have some lovely memories of me and bub quietly feeding in the back seat.  Cried when we sold that car for that reason.

#48 Fresh Start

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:28 PM

They're festy?

#49 Fright bat

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:42 PM

I understand there are specific reasons why some people specifically can't get off the floor. But that's not how it was worded in the OP, which seemed to make a universal claim against the undesirability of the floor.

Anyway, that's all a bit off topic. I do think anyone should be able to use a parents room to feed a baby however they like.

#50 Pilar Palabundar

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:51 PM

View PostBlueSheep, on 11 January 2017 - 04:09 PM, said:

I've personally made complaints to centre management when once I walked into a parents room to find two men using the room to hold a work conference with zero children in there. They took both cucible chairs and had their laptop and papers out. I didn't feel safe or comfortable feeding there.

I see your two guys using cubicle chairs and raise you a couple (sans child) walking out of a feeding cubicle in a busy Brisbane city parents room a couple of days before xmas.  Really, what the hell.

And then a complete douche canoe making two sets of parents wait at the Qantas club parents room as well before our flight home. Again sans child.

Talk about the silly season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Chrissy Teigen's pride about daughter's adorable first word

Chrissy Teigen and John Legend have celebrated their 11-month-old baby Luna's first word with an adorable Instagram post.

The photo that sums up how dads REALLY feel during labour

A new mum shared a hilarious photo of her partner during labour that lots of dads will relate to.

You can never hold your baby too much, says study

From the world of super obvious science comes the news that you can never hold your baby too much.

Babies called Romeo and Juliet born hours apart in the same hospital

Two mums gave birth in adjoining hospital rooms a few hours apart. They had never met, and had each chosen their baby's name earlier in the pregnancy.

Mum organises 'nurse-in' protest at IKEA

It's hard to believe than in 2017 mums are still receiving flak for breastfeeding in public, but that's what one US mum claims happened in IKEA.

Will 'How Not to Hate Your Husband After Kids' be a best-seller?

Author Jancee Dunn hopes her new book will help mums deal with the stresses that parenthood can place on an otherwise happy relationship.

The dad who was taunted for taking paternity leave

They imagined that while I was away, I would be glued to the couch, beer in hand. In no way would I actually be helping my wife.

Photographer surprises couple with rainbow baby shoot

The prettiest and most unexpected maternity shoot for a much-wanted rainbow baby.

Mum's funny solution for finding 'me time' with a toddler in tow

If you've ever been in possession of a toddler, you'll know that it's next to impossible to get anything done.

Qualities my three-year-old has that I admire

My three-year-old daughter is one of the strongest little women that I know. As I watch her grow into this amazing person, I can't help but feel accomplished and proud.

'You need to be present': John Legend on supporting a partner with PND

Singer John Legend has opened up about supporting wife Chrissy Teigen through postnatal depression.

The seven types of 'parent sleep'

The question, "Did you sleep well last night?" should be easy to answer. Either a yes (if you're lucky), or a no.

'Anxiety hit me like a ton of bricks'

Tammin Sursok has written an essay sharing her personal experience with postnatal anxiety.

11 things to do to protect your mental health while breastfeeding

Whether breastfeeding is going well or you are finding it harder than you expected, taking care of you needs to be a priority.

Couple announces they're both expecting - three weeks apart

Being pregnant at the same time as your best friend means double the excitement.

Why Dax Shepard was 'impressed' when his daughter swore for the first time

Actor and comedian, Dax Shepard has given a hilarious recap of the lengths he'll go to get, and keep, his kids asleep.

Video captures beautiful breech caesarean birth

A new life is brought gently into the world with tender and expert hands.

Mum warns of vacuum danger after toddler injured

Every parent knows toddlers can move fast, now one mum is warning about the dangers of allowing small children anywhere near vacuum cleaners.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Win 1 of 10 awesome Peppa Pig prize packs

Who loves Peppa? We have 10 packs to give away - including family passes to see the brand new movie, in cinemas March 16!

Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores

28th - 30th April, 2017, Melbourne Royal Exhibition Building, Carlton. Get your FREE ticket now. Save $20.

Free ticket offer

Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores

28th - 30th April, 2017, Melbourne Royal Exhibition Building, Carlton. Get your FREE ticket now. Save $20.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.