Breastfeeding advice in the Parents Room....

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 superhotd

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:24 PM

Hi Guys,

Please dont flame me for this post but I would like your opinion/advice.

I don't really care if you bottle feed or breastfeed your baby as long as your baby is fed & thriving.

Perhaps I am being over sensitive as I am only new to this game...

I had no choice but to breastfeed on the floor (no available seats) whilst both cubicles were taken up with bottle feeding Mums. Is it first in first serve or do breastfeeding Mammas get preference? I don't mind getting my boobs out as a parents room is a parents room etc.

It is a hard one.

#2 Paddlepop

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:26 PM

First in, first served.

#3 Brutta Borgia

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:28 PM

It is a hard one.

It goes to show how woeful facilities are doesn't it - it's the pits really.

#4 seayork2002

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:31 PM

View PostPaddlepop, on 11 January 2017 - 12:26 PM, said:

First in, first served.

This but if I was in there doing whatever it is I was doing and I heard a 'excuse me do you mind if I could sit here' or whatever I would help.

I am presuming the people in there were not psychic? did you ask?

same as needing a seat on a bus, someone to hold a door for me etc.

If you asking in general then yes I presume it is first come first served.

#5 MrsGrinchyWanderer

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:32 PM

First come first served. How do you even know what method someone is feeding their baby with behind the curtain?

#6 amdirel

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:34 PM

First in first served.
Some people like the cubicles not just for privacy, but also to have a quiet non-distracting environment for their baby to feed.

#7 born.a.girl

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:35 PM

First in, best dressed.

Plenty of bottle fed babies can take an eternity to feed if they are surrounded by enough distractions.

Perhaps the parents also wish to avoid chit chat - perhaps they're anxious, or have PND or have been subject to comments about 'breast is best'.

Who knows?  Either way, feeding method, to me, is irrelevant in terms of entitlement to the privacy.

I fully appreciate those new to breast feeding may crave a little more privacy than they might get in that situation, but that's not the fault of the two already there.

Edited by born.a.girl, 11 January 2017 - 12:36 PM.

#8 Brutta Borgia

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:35 PM

Maybe they didn't have the curtains drawn?

#9 MrsGrinchyWanderer

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:14 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 11 January 2017 - 12:35 PM, said:

If the OP knew that the people in the cubibles were bottle feeding, then it's first come first served for a chair then. Did she expect one of the people who were already there  and part way through a bottle to get up for her and sit on the floor themselves?

#10 lazycritterisferal

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:15 PM

First in best dressed. However I didn't use the feeding cubicles either way.

Not all parent's rooms have them anyway.

They are after all a courtesy by shopping centres and really to help to get people out of their home and into a shopping centre spending money.

Cynical.
Yes.
😋

Edited by lazycritterisferal, 11 January 2017 - 01:16 PM.

#11 José

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:16 PM

If a parent enters the parents room and its empty i would say they get to choose where they set up to feed.
Then i think it may not be easy to relocate if another parent wanted the space they were using. As in bub may be hard to settle into feeding again, might have lots of bags and bub to juggle etc.

So, i think first in best dressed

#12 ekbaby

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:21 PM

Sitting on the floor to feed your baby is no fun! Can you breastfeed your baby in another part of the shopping centre i.e. not the parents room? Eg sometimes there will be cafes with quiet booths, if you are still getting used to breastfeeding in public this can be a good start. Also lots of supermarkets etc have seats outside of them where you can sit. You are legally allowed to breastfeed anywhere that you are allowed to be with your baby. I know getting confidence up can be hard but as time goes on when you go out to different places not all places will have a parents room so it can be good to practice feeding in some different places. Most people won't be looking or care, and the older your baby gets the easier all the attachment stuff is likely to get (in terms of getting them on quickly and easily)

#13 Starletta

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:21 PM

First in best dressed. It's definitely not any easier to bottle feed standing up then it is to breastfeed standing up?

Why is it a hard one? Why would breastfeeders get preference?

#14 Brutta Borgia

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:24 PM

View PostMrsGrinchyWanderer, on 11 January 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

If the OP knew that the people in the cubibles were bottle feeding, then it's first come first served for a chair then. Did she expect one of the people who were already there  and part way through a bottle to get up for her and sit on the floor themselves?

I don't know what the OP may have expected. maybe she did think that someone who was almost at the end of the feed might stand up for her so she could sit down and establish a latch on - who knows? I was just responding to a poster who asked how she knew they were bottle feeding - I just surmised that perhaps it was plainly obvious - if the curtains were drawn. that's all.

#15 fancie shmancie

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:26 PM

OP, were any chairs provided in the parents room excluding the chairs in the cubicles?

Sounds like more chairs are required.

Edited by fancie shmancie, 11 January 2017 - 01:29 PM.

#16 Silly Old Elf

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:29 PM

First in for sure. I would never expect someone feeding their baby, bottle or breast, to move for me. Should a bottle feeding mum sit on the floor over a breast feeding mum?
Personally, I would rather sit on a seat in the centre, or at a coffee shop than on the floor or a parents room.
And yes, your experience highlights a problem with the centre's facilities.

#17 JBH

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:32 PM

Generally first in best dressed.  That said, when my babies were a bit older, if I happened to use a parents' room I would have stood for someone with a tiny baby.

Edit: nothing to do with breast or bottle, just because I remember how it was to be a nervous parent of a really little baby, needing everything for feeding to be just so.

Edited by JBH, 11 January 2017 - 01:33 PM.

#18 EmmDasher

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:34 PM

First in best dressed. If I had to feed in the parents room then I'd feed standing up before I sat on the floor. Sitting on the floor wouldn't even occur to me.

ETA - I'd give priority to new mum's and tiny babies too.

Edited by EmmDasher, 11 January 2017 - 01:35 PM.

#19 CallMeFeral

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:35 PM

View PostStarletta, on 11 January 2017 - 01:21 PM, said:

Why is it a hard one? Why would breastfeeders get preference?

I'm presuming the OP is of the 'breasts are private' school of thought, and therefore feels that she has to go somewhere private to feed, whereas based solely on the privacy issue bottle feeding mums could go anywhere. Is that what it is, OP?

Not suggesting I agree, just that it's the only reason I can think of why one could get preference over the other.

Personally I think the more people popping out a feeding boob in other areas of the world, the better - on the social side it helps normalise it - on the personal side it makes it a lot easier to feed if you are comfortable in a cafe rather than sitting on the floor of a baby poo smelling parents room.

#20 JustBeige

(FF bubs). I only used the rooms once or twice tbh. Ours always smelt like poo and after having babies my gag reflex changed to super sensitive.

The first time, I tried using just a couch but between DD watching everything else and her feed taking twice as long and being abused for feeding my child 'liquid cocaine'... the next time I ventured in, i sat in a cubicle and pulled the curtains. lol. didnt stop the poo smell though.

After that they got fed in a cafe and mostly still in their stroller.

#21 Ellie bean

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 11 January 2017 - 12:35 PM, said:

If someone is BF their baby with the curtains open can I ask them to move so I can draw the curtains and bottle feed my baby in privacy?
First come first served is the only fair rule

#22 Brutta Borgia

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:38 PM

I agree CMF - sometimes you just don't think of all possible scenarios, reasons etc for something - you might be breastfeeding, see a parents room with a cubicle with a curtain and you automatically think: that's for privacy, because society has a problem (wrongly) with seeing breasts. and you don't think of any other possible scenarios - ie, a bottle fed baby might get distracted so the curtains are necessary in that situation too. The OP was just asking a question. now she knows.

#23 Brutta Borgia

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:40 PM

View PostEllie bean, on 11 January 2017 - 01:35 PM, said:

If someone is BF their baby with the curtains open can I ask them to move so I can draw the curtains and bottle feed my baby in privacy?
First come first served is the only fair rule

Ellie Bean you can do whatever you want.

A poster asked the question how the OP knew they were bottle feeding. I put forward a possible explanation: the curtains were drawn - therefore it was clearly obviously they were bottle feeding. that's all.

#24 Ellie bean

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:59 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 11 January 2017 - 01:40 PM, said:

Ellie Bean you can do whatever you want.

A poster asked the question how the OP knew they were bottle feeding. I put forward a possible explanation: the curtains were drawn - therefore it was clearly obviously they were bottle feeding. that's all.
Sorry, misunderstood

#25 born.a.girl

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:03 PM

View PostJBH, on 11 January 2017 - 01:32 PM, said:

Generally first in best dressed.  That said, when my babies were a bit older, if I happened to use a parents' room I would have stood for someone with a tiny baby.

Edit: nothing to do with breast or bottle, just because I remember how it was to be a nervous parent of a really little baby, needing everything for feeding to be just so.

This I agree with.

If I'd been feeding a much older baby, either way,  and saw someone with a newborn come in I would hope I'd have offered to move for them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mum's message to son after Manchester attack

The horrific terrorist attack in Manchester, killing 22 people and injuring many others, including children, has impacted people throughout the world.

Bonds announces new personalised Zippy onesies

Now you can have your baby or toddler's name printed on their Bonds Zippys.

Mum's warning about Owlet monitor after baby receives burn

A mum has taken to Facebook to warn parents of the dangers of a popular baby monitor after her daughter sustained a burn to her foot.

The new advice on when to give juice to young children

Children under the age of one should not be given fruit juice, according to new advice issued by the American Academy of Pediatrics.

'Mummy, put your phone away': one mum's wake-up call

One of the weirdest things about your little kids getting older, I find, is when they start to be able to hold full conversations with you.

Aspirin being used to treat pre-eclampsia

Aspirin and early detection are helping to save the lives of Australian women and babies at risk of dying from the pregnancy complication pre-eclampsia.

Postnatal depletion: what is it and how can we recover?

Some mums are left physically and emotionally depleted, with nothing left to give, long after giving birth.

'Flushing' blocked fallopian tubes can improve fertility, study finds

A technique that effectively "unblocks" a woman's fallopian tubes by flushing them with liquid to help her conceive has been used for decades, with varying levels of success. Now a study has confirmed that the method significantly improves fertility, and that a certain type of fluid – one that is oil-based rather than water-based – shows strong results.

Watch these pregnant mothers make their bellies disappear

Chances are you've heard of body pump, but have you heard of belly pump?

The initiative to help job-hunting mums explain the 'resume gap'

It's a common problem faced by mums returning to work after an extended period of maternity leave. How do I account for the gap that years at home caring for babies has left in my resume?

Every parent will relate to this dad's hilariously messy 'pooplosion' tale

Make sure you aren't eating while reading this post.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.