Road trip with 6 week old

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 The Falcon

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:44 AM

We have a holiday with extended family booked for when our new baby will be around 6 weeks old.  We were originally intending to fly up but depending on when bub arrives it may or may not have had its 6 week immunizations by the time we go, and I don't want bub to fly without them.

Do you think its a stupid idea to drive from Sydney to Gold Coast with a 6 week old (and a 7 & 5 year old)?  I'm trying to remember what its like with one so little but its a long time since I've had one.  I assume we would have to stop every 2/3 hours for a feed but thats not a bad idea anyway, and we could spread the drive over 2 days if need be.

We can't change the dates of the trip as it was all booked long before we found out I was pregnant.  So options are fly, drive or bub and I stay home and DH and kids go.

Thoughts?

#2 BBC

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:49 AM

Stay home and send DH with the big kids. Nice for them and nice for you.
A long car trip with a newborn would be a nightmare for me.

#3 theworldsgonemad

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:55 AM

We did our first road trip with one of our kids when he was 4 days old, honestly its not a big deal, its the older kids that are the pains not the baby. :)

#4 bandbub

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:59 AM

Driving with a newborn wont be so bad if you get one that likes the car
Break the drive up over 2 days and stop halfway being in the car bubs may even stretch longer between feeds

#5 NeedSleepNow

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:00 AM

Both of mine HATED the car from birth to two years of age, so I wouldn't be brave enough to try it. I'd either fly or send DH and the kids.

#6 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:03 AM

From memory it is about 10 hours driving time so that would be about 4 stops on the way, making it a 12 hour trip at least.  If you have two drivers and little ones to keep an eye on the baby I would say do it. There are plenty of nice places to stay overnight on the way.

#7 itsallnew

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:29 AM

If it's going to be a matter of a few days, perhaps discuss the possibility of having the 6 week vaccinations slightly early with your healthcare provider? We needed to do this due to travelling overseas.

#8 MsMyrtle

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:30 AM

We drove Syd - Melb - Adelaide - Syd when DS was 4 weeks old.  He travelled very well.  We did Adelaide - Syd over 2 days, staying in a hotel, we took his bassinette anyway so did not have to use the hotel's bedding for him.

He travelled very well, we stopped very 2-3 hours for a rest stop/lunch.

You could pull up at a nice park, kids can play, you can feed baby and DH can organise the snacks/food for you and the older children.

Its just the unknown, you might have a baby who doesn't like the car.  I think it is a wait and see, which doesn't help....

#9 seayork2002

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:31 AM

I would have no issues with the newborn but the older kids would drive me batty

#10 jodi

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:34 AM

We drove from Darwin to Bendigo when my youngest was four weeks old, and then back again three weeks later... we had six kids ranging from 11 years down to 4 weeks with us... we had no issues at all.

#11 *Andi*

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:34 AM

My girls would have been fine with it at that age, they've always been pretty good in the car though. And if you don't rush and take time to stop and enjoy things along the way it will be better.

I wouldn't have 6w vaccinations and expect bub to be covered straight away though - it takes 2 weeks for them to kick in, and they are only the first immunisations in a series.

#12 harryhoo

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:46 AM

We did a 10 hour car trip for a wedding wen DD was 2 weeks old. The trip takes about 7.5 hours without kids! She was great as she was still in the sleepy newborn phase. It is recommended though that bubs don't stay in capsules for longer than about 3 hours though (you might want to check that). We were still taking a long time to feed and she had been on expressed top ups since birth, so I actually express in the car while hubby drove and then I would feed her and give her top as well when we stopped. We did I think about 3 planned stops and 1 unplanned stop in that time.
Maybe be flexible though, as my midwives (who I spoke to about it before going) said if I ended up with a c-section then they would not recommend sitting in the car for that long.

#13 Gruffalo's Child

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:01 AM

We could have done it easily with DS and DD2.  It would have been a nightmare with DD1, who screamed for the duration of every single car trip from the moment we left hospital until 6 months.    Can you wait until bubs is born before deciding how to travel?  If not, I'd book DH and kids on plane and plan to stay home.

Edited by Gruffalo's Child, 09 January 2017 - 09:01 AM.

#14 magnanimous

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:43 AM

Don't do it! I would go totally bat sh*t crazy! It would be the bored 5 and 7 year olds fighting and whining and waking the baby which would drive me mental. Plus add in baby potentially screaming in the car for long periods while you are both still working out feeding and sleeping etc and you have my idea of a total nightmare. I agree with a pp who suggested sending dad with the two older ones and you get to stay home with baby. Way better scenario.

#15 little lion

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:49 AM

Leaking boobs, pumping, bringing heaps of baby equipment, changing poo nappies every few hours. Hell no! I would be happier at home by myself while DH takes the big kids. I was really sleep deprived so wouldn't have enjoyed a holiday with a newborn. (I will add that we did go overseas for a month when our first was 3.5 months, which was great, as he was sleeping through mostly.)

Edited to add that it isn't just the journey but the holiday itself. In those early weeks, having my own place and space were important. I wouldn't have been able to appreciate sight seeing etc.

Edited by little lion, 09 January 2017 - 09:53 AM.

#16 lucky 2

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:47 AM

Honestly I don't think it's possible to predict how it would be.
A 6 week old is different to a 2 week old.
Crying is at a peak, but who knows, the car travel might help with soothing!
And you two younger kids might be fine with movies, food, stops or they might sleep.
No need for leaky boobs or pumping if you are able to feed as needed.
What's your gut instinct?

#17 c.sanders

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:06 AM

Also keep in mind that the whooping cough vaccine is now given to pregnant women so bub will already have started getting immunised in utero

#18 Makalu

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:36 AM

I just did a 2.5hr trip (each direction) with my newborn (3weeks) plus 3 year old.  For reference we had to do 2 stops in that time on the way there. First stop to settle the newborn after 30mins on the road and second stop for the 3 year old to go to the toilet (at which point changed/fed the newborn again seeing we were stopped). Nearly ended up with a third stop on the way there as our newborn started screaming just as we were arriving at our destination. On the back only needed one stop for the 3 year old to go to the toilet.

I think a long trip would be doable depending on your kids personalities however you'd need to be super flexible about just pulling off the road and taking lots breaks. Unfortunately you probably won't be able to tell unless you give it a go how the new bub will travel. Personally though I don't think I'd be attempting such a long trip.

#19 Birdie83

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:50 PM

I would stay home and send DH. Lovely quiet bonding time for you and bubs too.
I remember seeing on the news a few weeks ago that Bristol University did a study on long car rides and newborns and were advising against it.  It's a long time for the baby to be slightly upright.

https://www.thesun.c...g-experts-warn/

Edited by Birdie83, 09 January 2017 - 12:51 PM.

#20 Fright bat

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:54 PM

The family event would worry me more than the flying of Bub hasn't had vaccinations, in all honesty.

I absolutely wouldn't drive at that age. If I had to go, I would fly and keep bub in a sling. Very little risk there.

#21 seayork2002

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:56 PM

Birdie83, on 09 January 2017 - 12:50 PM, said:

I would stay home and send DH. Lovely quiet bonding time for you and bubs too.
I remember seeing on the news a few weeks ago that Bristol University did a study on long car rides and newborns and were advising against it.  It's a long time for the baby to be slightly upright.

https://www.thesun.c...g-experts-warn/

which is why I got a car seat where they can lie flat (it was in the UK and it did meet standards but not sure if it does here?) - I still would advise not too long without breaks anyway though but these days no matter what you want to do there will always be a study advising against it

#22 SplashingRainbows

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:07 PM

I would fly.
Or drive over 2 days.

The drive is mostly freeway. You won't be able to just pull over if bub gets unsettled but will need to drive on until it's safe to do so. If driving I would look at staying overnight half way say Coffs Harbour and do the drive across 2 days.

That gives you an advantage of having a car when you get to your destination and all the correct car seats. If it's really atrocious driving to the GC, one parent could always fly the kids home and the other drive back in one day. Parent flying home would only need a baby bag as luggage would be with the car driver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win a Springfree Trampoline!

Click now for your chance to WIN a Springfree Trampoline (R54 Compact Round) plus Australia-wide delivery ? valued up to $1774!

Midwife's hand inside birth canal for 90 minutes saves baby's life

Baby Emelia's arrival into the world wasn't exactly smooth sailing.

Melbourne - get your FREE tickets!

Register now for your free ticket (valued at $20) for the Melbourne Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores.

It's really hard work, baby, but still worth it

You are over it and you want to know, is this all worth it?

Vitamin K injections: what you need to know

Why do babies need vitamin K after birth? Here's what you need to know.

Mum's emotional letter on last day of maternity leave

A heartfelt letter from a mum to her nine-week-old son has a struck a chord with working mothers everywhere.

What I learnt after having six miscarriages

Experiencing recurrent miscarriage is like entering an endless dark tunnel. Once you enter that tunnel it is a fight from start to finish

Recall issued for popular brand of baby biscuits

You will want to check your cupboard and give these the flick, after a recall was issued this week.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

See Pinky McKay live - for FREE

Pinky will be speaking daily at the Essential Baby & Toddler Show, Melbourne, 28-30 April. Free tickets now!

Last chance for free tickets

See Pinky McKay live - for FREE

Pinky will be speaking daily at the Essential Baby & Toddler Show, Melbourne, 28-30 April. Free tickets now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.