16 months and not standing or walking unassisted - *UPDATE* post #92

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 Jo.F

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:47 PM

Hi.

First time mum here and our 16 month old DS has been pulling himself up onto furniture and walking around while hanging on to the couch or baby gate for a few months now but he's showing no signs of trying to stand up on his own or walk by himself.

I know kids are all different and do things at different times and I know you shouldn't compare yours with other babies but out of all the babies in my mothers group, DS is the only one not walking.

I feel bad for him because there's a lot of activities and things I could take him to if he was walking that are pretty hard with a crawler - not because he'll get dirty but because some surfaces just aren't good to crawl on. And he's also getting heavy and having to pick him up and carry him everywhere is killing my back.

Is it normal to be cruising along furniture for months before trying it on their own? Is there anything I could be doing to help him? When should I take him to get checked out and make sure everything is ok?  
Or am I just being silly and need to chill out a bit ... :huh:

Sorry for all the questions. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
Is it normal to be cruising along furniture for months before trying it on their own? When should I take him to get checked out and make sure everything is ok?   

Or am I just being silly and need to relax?

Edited by Jo.F, 30 March 2017 - 07:48 PM.

#2 Hands Up

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:53 PM

Hi there we were in the same dig.

My older child didn't walk until 18 months (almost 19).

We flagged it at his 18 month check up and our paediatrician said that based on his movement that he would walk within the month. He was right!

With DS1 I think it was his personality as much as anything. He won't attempt anything unless he's sure he can do it, and is a very cautious child.

Like you, I felt bad that he was missing out. We would meet mother's group at the park and the other kids would be chasing each other while he just sat there.

But in our case it all worked out.

#3 Nastyflea

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:01 PM

I don't think you need to worry until about 18 months old.

But you do need to give him lots of encouragement. Sit on the floor and call him over and TRY to take a few steps towards you. From one parent to another, or put a toy JUST out of reach for him maybe.

For us, DD cruised from about 10months but didn't get up and walk until 17 months. She loved going outside, but hated crawling on the grass, so i told her to get up and walk. After a whinge or 2, she got up and walked!
So maybe he just needs the right motivation.

Try walking with him only holding one hand, with him next to you. It kills your back but helps him steady himself a bit. Then let go if you can and cheer any attempt to walk!

#4 Jo.F

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:22 PM

View PostHands Up, on 07 January 2017 - 09:53 PM, said:

Hi there we were in the same dig.

My older child didn't walk until 18 months (almost 19).

We flagged it at his 18 month check up and our paediatrician said that based on his movement that he would walk within the month. He was right!

With DS1 I think it was his personality as much as anything. He won't attempt anything unless he's sure he can do it, and is a very cautious child.

Like you, I felt bad that he was missing out. We would meet mother's group at the park and the other kids would be chasing each other while he just sat there.

But in our case it all worked out.

Hi. I remember you :)

He seems so confident pulling himself up onto things and the other day he climbed onto the couch but is so wobbly on his legs the rest of the time.

There was one time where I let go of him when I was holding his hands because he looked like he might stand but he fell heavily onto my foot and gave himself a blood nose. That was a bad day for both of us :(  Maybe he's scared of hurting himself?

He's happy to crawl on pretty much anything except bark chips which surround almost every playground near us and he just sits there and grizzles when all the other kids are running around. So now I barely go out with him if he's not going to be in a pram (like at the shops etc) because I know he's going to get agro at not being able to crawl around.

Hopefully he gets the hang of it soon.

Thanks x

View PostJingleflea, on 07 January 2017 - 10:01 PM, said:

I don't think you need to worry until about 18 months old.

But you do need to give him lots of encouragement. Sit on the floor and call him over and TRY to take a few steps towards you. From one parent to another, or put a toy JUST out of reach for him maybe.

For us, DD cruised from about 10months but didn't get up and walk until 17 months. She loved going outside, but hated crawling on the grass, so i told her to get up and walk. After a whinge or 2, she got up and walked!
So maybe he just needs the right motivation.

Try walking with him only holding one hand, with him next to you. It kills your back but helps him steady himself a bit. Then let go if you can and cheer any attempt to walk!

at his 12 month check up the paed seemed curious that he wasn't pulling himself up yet and noticed that he stood on his toes when you tried to get him to stand but he doesn't do that now. I remember him saying walking should be by 18 months but since he's been cruising around furniture for so long I thought it would have happened by now.

I've tried to lure him into standing with a few things. When I get him to come to me he crawls and then pulls himself up on me at the last minute. Or grabs onto the couch and stretches his arm out, then falls if I'm not in reach.

DH said he's held him by his hands when he's been standing and tried to get him to walk towards him but after 2-3 steps he sits back down. We should probably start doing this more often.

Thanks x

Edited by Jo.F, 07 January 2017 - 10:31 PM.

#5 Pocketmoney

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:39 PM

Does he have a push along walker?
Something nice and sturdy and well balanced like this
https://goo.gl/images/P4kCja
He might be Mr Independent and prefer to practice on his own rather than with someone. :)

#6 cordyline

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:43 PM

He may be a cautious baby and it is just a matter of time.

I didn't have a cautious baby, but she did discover she could stand by accident. You could try to replicate this situation and see if it helps.

Basically put a few desired toys/blocks up on a couch/coffee table/ottoman. First they will stand/lean against the couch and hold with their hands. But in order to have two toys at the same time (one in each hand) my DD started letting go of the couch with her hands. Eventually we were playing clapping games with her banging the toy in each hand together, not realising she was standing on her own.

#7 Franny and Zooey

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:44 PM

My oldest DD didn't walk until 17mths it was a pain but she is 13 years old now and a great long distance runner so it certainly didn't hold her back.

#8 mum to1

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:48 PM

He's probably fine and will more then likely walk soon.  But have you had his hips checked?

#9 Living Type

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:18 PM

My son was has disability so only started to walk with a walking frame at four. We didn't miss out on any activities in the time being though. He wore knee pads for crawling outside to protect his knees, waterproof pants if it was wet/damp and gloves if it were cold.

Soft play centres would a good place for an outing, even the little ones inside the shopping malls or maybe is there a nice little kids pool nearby, library is also a nice outing where crawling would be fine without being confined to pram (rhyme time or story time).  When I went to the park with my son I would always take a picnic blanket and some toys so he could play there too, so we didn't miss out on catch up with fiends (more for my sanity).

Edited by Living Type, 07 January 2017 - 11:26 PM.

#10 Living Type

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:20 PM

Oh just wanted to add, a visit to a paediatric physiotherapist could check your son out just to be sure there are no problems. They can check hips, but would also be able to give you some tips on how to encourage walking also.

#11 Fresh Start

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:24 PM

My friend's DS was the same. At 22 months he had grommets in, tonsils and adenoids out. Walked alone a week later - he had no balance when not holding hands or furniture.

Another friend saw her DS walk alone at 11 months then he didn't do it again until 19 months. She reckons crawling was faster.

It might be nothing but if you are concerned get him checked out.

#12 marnie27

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:12 AM

My DS didn't walk until 17 months - and whilst he is within normal range for developmental milestones, even at 7.5 years he is still quite cautious. My DD was walking independently by 11 months and has always been far more physically advanced than her big brother.

#13 Klixie

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:28 AM

Definitely mention this to your doctor at your 18 month check-up.  Your paed will tell you if they are concerned.

Our son has mild low muscle-tone, and one of the first signs of this was him not standing or weight-bearing well after other children were walking.

#14 KwaziiCat

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:41 AM

Both my kids cruised for a month or so before they started walking at 18 months.  I'd still mention it to the Dr though if not walking at the 18 month check!

#15 amdirel

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:58 AM

My DS1 walked at a very young age, but was furniture cruising for four months before that! I ended up tricking him into walking one day, just by going to grab his hands while he was standing but I  'missed' his hands. Once he realised he could do it, he started walking everywhere.

#16 YeahbutNasty

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:58 AM

DD just started walking at 16 months - I was a little concerned as her brother did it at 12 but they have such different personalities and approaches to things.

She had been cruising for months and months too, it just took her quite a while to walk independently. I noticed that she didn't stand on her own rather than pull herself up until after she was more confident walking.

Why not give your MCHN a call if you're concerned. I suspect if he's pulling himself up etc they won't yet be concerned, but in my experience they'll always listen to parent concerns and let you know whether to start a follow up now or wait and see a while longer.

Edited by YeahbutNah, 08 January 2017 - 06:59 AM.

#17 LuckyMummy ♥♥

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:00 AM

My oldest didn't walk until 15 months (and I'll add that he took ages again to be a confident walker and didn't really run until he was 2), but similar to you he was standing and cruising for ages! He just wasn't confident enough to walk, and even now is a very hesitant child and won't climb things or go down slides or jump. He does it with encouragement eventually but it's just his personality.

He also had really turned out feet, and that didn't help.

One thing that helped him was giving him more space. I realised he was spending way too much time in our lounge room where it was small and he could easily get everywhere while holding on to furniture (it was winter at the time, so we didn't get out much unless he was in a pram or at someone's house)
So I banished him from the lounge to our bigger less furnished dining area and I took him to more open spaces and parks and he walked not long after that.

Edited by MerryMummy ´¯`·.·★, 08 January 2017 - 07:03 AM.

#18 RSA

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:08 AM

I didn't walk until I was almost 18 months. Mum thought i'd never walk. She said I literally just stood up and walked like i'd been doing it for years. I was a cautious baby and I never fell over once I walked.

My brother however walked around 9/10 months and he was a mess!

#19 Lunafreya

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:29 AM

Likely walking will come soon. Your baby might just decide one day it's a good day for it. My DS walked at 19 months and now doesn't stay still!

#20 Prioritising Pooks

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:37 AM

DS was late to walk and DD is now the same. I'm determined not to worry about it until her 18 month check up- in the absence of other delays. With DS we ended up doing physio and he needed to be taught how to walk.

#21 omongomong

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:39 AM

Like PPs have mentioned I would take him to a paed physio - when in doubt, check it out.

#22 Lunafreya

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:43 AM

I wouldn't take him at 16 months. Wait until his 18 month check if walking hasn't appeared by then. Do t necessarily worry yourself

And a push walker is a good idea.

#23 SplashingRainbows

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:44 AM

Some things jumped out at me from your posts op:

He gets frustrated when he misses out on walking, so you now avoid that.
I get it, I really struggle when my kids are whinny, but you really do need to let him experience that frustration. Wanting to do something is an important part of figuring out how to do that thing, as is giving your son an opportunity to watch how the other kids do it.

Your back is sore from carrying him.
I'd be encouraging him to move himself at every opportunity. Whether that's holding hands to walk with you, cruising furniture, or crawling. Some carrying is unavoidable I know, but I'd really try and have a good look at whether I could reduce that amount of carrying in any way. Getting kids to move is really great for their development.

I wouldn't be too afraid of him falling. It's part of learning his boundaries and limits. If he seems to be excessively falling I'd follow up getting a hearing test and ear check done.

I do wonder if it's worth a visit to your child health nurse to see if there's anything else going on and to perhaps get some ideas from them about encouraging his movement.

#24 liveworkplay

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:45 AM

As said, it's not outside the relms of normal but I'd have his hips checked. Does he have leg creases and are they symmetrical? My kids loved holdingbout hands and walking around before they started walking. They only cruised for a few weeks before walking (even my hip dysplasia baby) so not help but I bet it's frustrating for you.

#25 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:35 AM

My kids were pulling to stand and cruising from 9m.

They walked at 16.5, 17.5 and 19.5m

All fine 7,9,11yo kids

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win a Springfree Trampoline!

Click now for your chance to WIN a Springfree Trampoline (R54 Compact Round) plus Australia-wide delivery ? valued up to $1774!

Midwife's hand inside birth canal for 90 minutes saves baby's life

Baby Emelia's arrival into the world wasn't exactly smooth sailing.

Melbourne - get your FREE tickets!

Register now for your free ticket (valued at $20) for the Melbourne Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores.

It's really hard work, baby, but still worth it

You are over it and you want to know, is this all worth it?

Vitamin K injections: what you need to know

Why do babies need vitamin K after birth? Here's what you need to know.

Mum's emotional letter on last day of maternity leave

A heartfelt letter from a mum to her nine-week-old son has a struck a chord with working mothers everywhere.

What I learnt after having six miscarriages

Experiencing recurrent miscarriage is like entering an endless dark tunnel. Once you enter that tunnel it is a fight from start to finish

Recall issued for popular brand of baby biscuits

You will want to check your cupboard and give these the flick, after a recall was issued this week.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

See Pinky McKay live - for FREE

Pinky will be speaking daily at the Essential Baby & Toddler Show, Melbourne, 28-30 April. Free tickets now!

Last chance for free tickets

See Pinky McKay live - for FREE

Pinky will be speaking daily at the Essential Baby & Toddler Show, Melbourne, 28-30 April. Free tickets now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.