AARRRGGGHHH! 2 yo "artist"

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Perpetual Sound

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:32 PM

She will not stop drawing on the goddamn furniture no matter how many times we have the same conversation and redirect to paper/magnadoodle/chalkboard etc

How the hell do I get this kid to stop drawing on everything??? We've even tried taking away all the drawing implements but then she climbs my office furniture just to get a pen.

"You may have nice things or a toddler but you may not have both...."

:no2:

#2 anna_garny

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:35 PM

We removed all the drawing implements and also made the 2yo help clean it up. She was not allowed to wander off and was made to help until it was all gone.

Natural consequences.

She was also limited to her high chair for drawing.

#3 mandala

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:51 PM

Sorry, another one who locked all the pens away in the filing cabinet until the urge passed!

Could you send her outside with a paintbrush and a bucket of water to paint the fence? How about drawing in sand with a stick?

#4 José

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:54 PM

Also no accessible drawing implements.

#5 IkeaAddict

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:56 PM

All drawing pens kept out of reach or sight. Even ones on DPs or my desk. We were lucky though, he never did any drawing on furniture and stuff he did on walls came off easily with magic eraser. Never ceases to amaze me though among my FB friends with kids who all the time complain about the kids drawing on walls with texta. Take the damn textas away!!!

#6 Ellie bean

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:02 PM

Yep textas under strict supervision only! Mine only get crayons if unsupervised

#7 ImpossibleGirl

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:12 PM

Chalk is good too, easy to remove from walls! And not poisonous for the 18 mo who likes to eat everything

I make my 3 yo wipe off any texta/pen that he uses on the table instead of on paper - baby wipes are awesome. And he loses the textas/pens again.

#8 Perpetual Sound

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:20 PM

Yeah I was stupid in thinking that the pens would be safe on the shelf above my desk....

Unfortunately she thinks cleaning is as much of a game as the drawing.

My son hates doing art and we're hard pushed to even get him to write his name so we've not had to deal with the "redecorating" before.

#9 JustBeige

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:41 PM

I redirected to chalk outside.

DH had a bit of a 'moment' when he came home and found the house decorated, but it washes off and they love it.

They used to encourage concrete drawing at their school. it alwys looked so lovely

#10 Furfeathersfleece

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:32 PM

All markers are locked away so he can't access them! To draw/paint/craft etc he is strapped into his booster seat at the dining table which has a plastic table cloth on it.

Mind you I was careless the other day and left a permanent marker within reach for 2 minutes...the carpet was scribbled on plus some toys

It was my first, and hopefully my last, lapse in this regard.

#11 mayahlb

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:44 PM

Removal of all drawing implements to the highest place possible or a lockable cupboard.

Provision of chalk. You can get big boxes of it at target/kmart that is thick and perfect for little kids hands. Then he was only allowed to draw on the floor (concrete or tiled floors, I just mopped up after) or in the garage. Drawings on walls had all drawing implements removed and child made to clean it up. He soon go over the "fun" of cleaning something up all the time.

#12 DirtyStreetPie

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:46 PM

My parents gave up the battle when I was that age. They gave me free reign over the walls until I started school, then they just painted over all the "artwork".

Some kids just can't stop themselves - it's an inner urge. I actually remember feeling utterly compelled to draw on everything.

I used scissors to scribble on the metal border of the TV screen, and I used margarine to put hand-prints on the bookshelf. They're still there!

All that practice must have paid off, because I was the first kid in my class to get my pen licence. Not bad for a clumsy left-hander, eh?

#13 born.a.girl

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:54 PM

View PostDirtyStreetPie, on 04 January 2017 - 05:46 PM, said:

My parents gave up the battle when I was that age. They gave me free reign over the walls until I started school, then they just painted over all the "artwork".

Some kids just can't stop themselves - it's an inner urge. I actually remember feeling utterly compelled to draw on everything.

I used scissors to scribble on the metal border of the TV screen, and I used margarine to put hand-prints on the bookshelf. They're still there!

All that practice must have paid off, because I was the first kid in my class to get my pen licence. Not bad for a clumsy left-hander, eh?

Neighbour's daughter scratched her initials into the duco of their car - both of their cars.

Just before we were due to do a renovation, we let everyone draw on a wall which was to come down.  It's amazing how everyone - grown adults included - just love doing something that's usually off limits.  The whole wall was full.

#14 Perpetual Sound

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:53 PM

I have decided to get a lockable box as I need permanent markers and pens for my work.... also I feel that its a safe place where I can also place my sanity before she steals that too.

#15 Nasty Teens

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:17 PM

Could be worse, I had an artist who hated a full nappy...

#16 Nobodyelse

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:20 PM

View PostTeens?, on 04 January 2017 - 07:17 PM, said:

Oh, I had one of those too. And a tv that I can never see the same way since that Sunday morning she used it as a canvas.

#17 Inkogneatoh

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:31 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 04 January 2017 - 05:54 PM, said:

Neighbour's daughter scratched her initials into the duco of their car - both of their cars.

Just before we were due to do a renovation, we let everyone draw on a wall which was to come down.  It's amazing how everyone - grown adults included - just love doing something that's usually off limits.  The whole wall was full.

I agree for some it's a compulsion.

My Aunt was very annoyed when she found my brothers initials on the metal of her fence. It was pointed out that she was the one to give the 16 year old who had to initial everything a charged cordless engraver for Christmas that year.

He was 17 when I confiscated his PlayStation controllers and tv remote until he scrubbed the crayon off my desk. Where he had to test the rainbow crayons next to a blank note pad.

Admittedly he was diagnosed with ADD in the early 90's as he hit his teens, but those are just some examples.

#18 born.a.girl

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:25 AM

View PostTeens?, on 04 January 2017 - 07:17 PM, said:

Only had that once, and didn't involve a nappy.

One stinking hot day I suggested to my husband he put her to bed for her nap with nothing on.

He took me literally, which is fair enough, but oh my, the consequences.

#19 Overtherainbow

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:31 AM

We also put them out of reach.

Put things they can use in reach though.  My favourite was a container of water with a new paintbrush outside.  They could paint the pavers and start again when it dried.  Don't recycle a paintbrush as any colour will come through.  Paint by water books were also free access on the table.

If you have a wading pool, let them loose in there with paint and paper and hose them down on the grass after.

Glue and glitter was a fav.  We had a craft box that I'd put on the table while I was doing stuff in the kitchen (open plan).  Wet flannel kept for clean ups.  Rule was if you left the table, you had to leave the craft supplies.

#20 starshaped

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:36 AM

So far, we've had success with directing drawing projects to places where they will cause the least permanent damage, such as bath crayons in the bath, chalk outside etc. These kits are also brilliant as the textas will only work on the paper provided... they are a bit expensive though. http://www.crayola.c...patrol-product/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

At 61, Shammi finally became a mum - then came the criticism

A 61-year-old woman has reignited debate around motherhood and when women are deemed "too old" to become mums after giving birth to a daughter seven months ago.

One mum's secret Mother's Day tradition after adopting her sons

Mother's Day is a time to celebrate all mums, and this mother has found a way to celebrate and appreciate her adopted sons' birth mothers each year.

5 things my wife needs to know before we have a third baby

My wife and I are just about to commit to a family of three children.

Is this the exercise of every tired parent's dream?

When you're a sleep-deprived parent, chances are you'll do almost anything for sweet, sweet, slumber. Would you pay for a nap, however?

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

Midwife fined $11,000 after having affair with dad-to-be

A midwife has been censured and ordered to pay $11,400 after admitting to having an affair with a client's husband.

Why should kids have all the sticker fun?

Stickers are a great little reward when kids have done something useful to encourage them to do it again.

Is this the cutest haka you've ever seen?

It is a war dance that people everywhere are familiar with, but this version of the Haka is one of the cutest you will ever see.

Groundbreaking surgery helps triplets born with rare condition

This little trio were world firsts twice in their first 9 weeks of life.

'I'd hate to see this happen to anyone else': mum's plea

Carly and Nathan Long are trying to raise awareness to save other parents going through the anguish they went through.

The smart phone game encouraging women to 'squeeeeze'

It's like Candy Crush for your pelvic floor. Hopefully, it will be just as addictive.

Why setting your alarm for 5.30am every day could be good for you

There's no doubt that Ashley French adores her children.

Watch the most important golf shot of this dad-to-be's life

Remember when parents used to be boring and just say, "It's a boy!" or "It's a girl!" – as regular spoken words coming out of their mouths?

This newborn knows what he wants - and gets it

The astonished parents of a newborn whose 18-day-old bub is already feeding himself, shared a clip of their little one's feat to YouTube - and it's truly incredible viewing.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.