Which mattress?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PeaSoup

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:49 PM

I"m considering transitioning DS from his cot to a single bed.  There's no urgency to do this except he is getting rather tall and probably won't fit in the cot for too much longer.

I'm wondering what type of mattress would be best?
Inner spring?  Thick foam?
Should I get something cheap and upgrade when he's toilet trained (eventhough I'll be using waterproof mattress protectors)?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

#2 anna_garny

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:00 PM

We got the $99 inner-spring from Fantastic when we transitioned our eldest, and she seems to be fine on that. We plan on replacing it when she starts primary school (after about 3 years of use for her) and moving it onto her baby sisters' bed fro another 3 years. We'll get her a pillow-topped one (probably about a $300 one) when she starts school, that will hopefully last her until we upsize her to a bigger bed if/when she needs it (likely early high school).

#3 tashalee21

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:06 PM

Yep we got a cheapie from fantastic as well... not the basic basic foam one but mid range inner spring.. will upgrade her in a couple years once toilet training in down pact.

#4 EmmDasher

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:27 PM

Foam sucks. I had a foam mattress as a child and remember exactly how hot & uncomfortable it was. We got DD the basic innerspring one from Super Amart. Fantastic furniture were all sold out.

#5 José

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:38 PM

Im surprised people are recommending cheaper matresses. When i posted about DS having trouble with the transition to a big bed i had people saying i needed a high quality/ soft mattress

#6 Goldenash

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:42 PM

If there is ANY chance you will be spending anytime on it then buy a decent mattress. Your back will thank you

#7 EmmDasher

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:47 PM

Mattresses are a bit of personal preference. Some people swear by pillow top, I'd rather sleep on the floor and I've done so. I'm only 55kg and DH is not heavy either and we don't have any health issues like a bad back. Neither of us can tell much difference between a $200 mattress or a $2000 one. We have an IKEA one on our own bed.

#8 BECZ

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:46 AM

We bought our kids mid-ranged mattresses.  DD1 and DS1 both got mattresses that were originally $699, but I got them for $200 as the top layer, had a fault in it.  They were missing about 30 cm of the quilting stitch in just one row.  Not sure if that makes sense, but you know the wavey or zig-zagged stitching.  Plus they were also double pillow tops and the other side was perfect.  They are still going strong 8years later.  I think they had a 15yr warranty and were made locally.

DD2 and DS2 didn't get ones that were quite as good, but still $300+ and on special.  

We hope to get a few more years out of these mattresses and they still look and feel really good too.  You can feel the difference in quality with DS2's though, so we may need to replace his first and his is the newest.  There just wasn't much around at the time though and we had put of buying him one for so long that one day I just snapped and said that we're buying him a mattress today.

I think if you spend a little more you can get a lot longer out of it. (As long as you use waterproof mattress protectors etc.)

#9 nasty roses

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:42 AM

Ours have Sealy innerspring mattresses - fairly firm with no pillow top etc. Kids don't need them as soft as adults, but a good innerspring mattress will support their growing spines.

DS's mattress is 6 years old now and survived several years of bed wetting in the beginning. We had a good, waterproof mattress protector and a quilted bed wetting mattress pad that I got from Aldi over the top of that - which is what we changed each day. Nothing wrong with the mattress at all now.

#10 PeaSoup

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:42 PM

Thank-you everyone.

Will look for an inner-spring and start stocking up on waterproof mattress protectors!  Good point about getting one that my back will cope with too...I hadn't thought of that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win a Springfree Trampoline!

Click now for your chance to WIN a Springfree Trampoline (R54 Compact Round) plus Australia-wide delivery ? valued up to $1774!

Midwife's hand inside birth canal for 90 minutes saves baby's life

Baby Emelia's arrival into the world wasn't exactly smooth sailing.

Melbourne - get your FREE tickets!

Register now for your free ticket (valued at $20) for the Melbourne Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores.

It's really hard work, baby, but still worth it

You are over it and you want to know, is this all worth it?

Vitamin K injections: what you need to know

Why do babies need vitamin K after birth? Here's what you need to know.

Mum's emotional letter on last day of maternity leave

A heartfelt letter from a mum to her nine-week-old son has a struck a chord with working mothers everywhere.

What I learnt after having six miscarriages

Experiencing recurrent miscarriage is like entering an endless dark tunnel. Once you enter that tunnel it is a fight from start to finish

Recall issued for popular brand of baby biscuits

You will want to check your cupboard and give these the flick, after a recall was issued this week.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

See Pinky McKay live - for FREE

Pinky will be speaking daily at the Essential Baby & Toddler Show, Melbourne, 28-30 April. Free tickets now!

Last chance for free tickets

See Pinky McKay live - for FREE

Pinky will be speaking daily at the Essential Baby & Toddler Show, Melbourne, 28-30 April. Free tickets now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.