Straight No Chaser 30
strawberry 52
sueratbag 30
sunshinedays 85
Tall Poppy 70
TheFirstNoel 20
Tiger Balm 52
toomanybooks 150

Edited by Ianthe, 25 January 2017 - 10:25 PM.

#2 nasty_maiden

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:16 PM

Me please!

What are the sort of goals people set? I'd love to just get in a book a month but that seems so low a number...

#3 Jane Jetson

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:16 PM

Edited by Jane Jetson, 04 January 2017 - 10:39 AM.

#4 Neeps

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:33 PM

I'm in. I think I would be happy with 20.

#5 sueratbag

Posted 27 December 2016 - 04:10 PM

Do they have to be new reads? I re-read favourite books a lot.

#6 cardamom

Posted 27 December 2016 - 04:29 PM

Yes please! Wow, the third year this has run - great brainwave on your part Ianthe :)

Hrmmm, I'll go and tally up my 2016 books and set a goal based on that.

I'm another who likes to re-read favourites, when I set my reading goal I always give myself a buffer that allows re-reads ;)

#7 mintpatty

Posted 27 December 2016 - 04:30 PM

Me please. I'll go for 52 again. A book a week.

#8 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 27 December 2016 - 04:48 PM

I'm setting myself a low goal so there's no pressure if life gets busy. For 2016 I had a goal of ten which I passed easily. For 2017 I'm going to aim for 20.

Edited because I got overexcited and wrote 100 instead of 20.

Edited by Lady Sybil Vimes, 27 December 2016 - 04:49 PM.

#9 GlitterFarts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 04:53 PM

Oh how interesting.

A FB friend took a 75 book challenge so I thought to do the saem.

What are the rules? What counts as a book?

#10 Astrocyte

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:03 PM

Me. I'd love to read 52 books in 2017; one book a week.

#11 BreezaH

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:28 PM

I'll join in. Aiming for 100+

#12 greenthumbs

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:48 PM

View Postspear_maiden, on 27 December 2016 - 03:16 PM, said:

Me please!

What are the sort of goals people set? I'd love to just get in a book a month but that seems so low a number...

Any number is great! I set myself 6 this year (used to read 10x that, but now have two littles, work part time and DP does long hours) but I surprised myself by reading 28!

I'm so pleased to have been spurred on to read again.

#13 Ianthe

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:53 PM

Your goal can be as low or as high as you like.

No rules on what you count. I like to re read books when things are busy and I am having trouble concentrating.

cardamom-I thought this would be the third year but wasn't sure.

#14 Ianthe

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:54 PM

Oh and some of us keep track here, some on good reads, some pop in when they remember. It can be helpful for book recommendations too.

#15 greenthumbs

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:12 PM

Yes, I've gotten a lot of ideas from here. My goodreads 'want to read' list is over 100, at this rate I'm sorted for years!

#16 Hands Up

Posted 27 December 2016 - 09:03 PM

I'm going for 40 next year :-)

I'm currently on book 38 for this year which I hope to finish by 31 December. I want to stretch myself a bit next year but st the same time I'm taking on a bigger role at work so need to be realistic!

#17 Nasty Bunsen

Posted 27 December 2016 - 09:11 PM

Count me in again - I'll aim for 20 again, only made 18 this year, but my youngest starts preschool in Jan so I might surprise myself.

Probably half my book purchases this year have been recommendations from the reading challenge thread, I love it!

#18 Prioritising Pooks

Posted 28 December 2016 - 08:28 AM

I used to be a bookworm, I would have easily read 100 a year. Then I had DS and bad depression and just couldn't read any more. It has been 5 years since I read a whole book... I am going to aim for 1 each month :)

#19 Hands Up

Posted 28 December 2016 - 08:36 AM

View PostBunsen the feral, on 27 December 2016 - 09:11 PM, said:

Probably half my book purchases this year have been recommendations from the reading challenge thread, I love it!

Me too!

#20 cardamom

Posted 28 December 2016 - 08:58 AM

View PostPooksALotLikeXmas, on 28 December 2016 - 08:28 AM, said:

I used to be a bookworm, I would have easily read 100 a year. Then I had DS and bad depression and just couldn't read any more. It has been 5 years since I read a whole book... I am going to aim for 1 each month Posted Image

I was similar, prior to joining in this challenge back in 2015. I used to be a voracious reader, was never without a book in my hand, then depression/anxiety when I was at uni ruined it for me - I couldn't read for pleasure without feeling terribly guilty, and even if I did I couldn't concentrate enough to follow the story.

This thread helped so much. I'm properly back into it now and it's only now that I realise what a loss of identity it was for me to not read regularly. That might sound lame, but it really had an impact.

Hope you find some lovely books to enjoy :)

#21 Prioritising Pooks

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:11 AM

Lots of identity makes perfect sense to me and I can completely relate to that. I've lost touch of everything that I used to enjoy and identify with. I'm trying to claw that back but it can be overwhelming. I don't have "IRL" people who are giving me any kind of support or anchor. Anyway I got a book for my birthday and I'm thinking l will buy another with what's left of recent gift money. This thread is very timely and your post very inspiring, thank you.

#22 Ianthe

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:16 AM

I have always read. In fact not reading anymore than a few days in a row is a sign to me that my mental health is declining. Cardamom I completely understand about he lack of identity. If I have been unwell I usually read childhood favourites and it get sme back into the swing of things.

#23 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:19 AM

View PostPooksALotLikeXmas, on 28 December 2016 - 08:28 AM, said:

I used to be a bookworm, I would have easily read 100 a year. Then I had DS and bad depression and just couldn't read any more. It has been 5 years since I read a whole book... I am going to aim for 1 each month :)

Yes, same for me. I miss it.

#24 cardamom

Posted 28 December 2016 - 02:06 PM

View PostPooksALotLikeXmas, on 28 December 2016 - 10:11 AM, said:

I've lost touch of everything that I used to enjoy and identify with.

Can totally relate to this x

#25 Nasty Bunsen

Posted 28 December 2016 - 02:30 PM

Totally agree with Pooks and others - after having non-sleeping children I felt I was loosing my mind, I realised along with so many obvious things that changed I also read less (or not at all) and wasn't listening to music any more, 2 things that really used to define me and keep my brain sharp. I'm now working on finding time to do more of both and get my brain back!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

How dare anyone accuse a mum of 'milking' a miscarriage

A heartless comment from a stranger shocked the already devastated radio host Em Rusciano.

How breast milk can help relieve your baby's teething pain

Try one mum's simple parenting hack to ease your baby's discomfort.

Top 10 common health myths busted

To help combat the misinformation and spread good health, here are the most common health myths compared to fact.

How to make flying with a toddler more bearable

After almost three years of living in Canada, it was time to pack our bags, bundle up our three children (including our two and a half year old Toddler) and pray to the heavens above, before flying to Aussie Land to see our family and friends.

Breastfeeding may help with caesarean pain, says new study

Breastfeeding after a caesarean section may help manage persistent pain, finds new research on the post-birth experience of new mothers.

Recall notice: fourth cot recalled in less than one month

A recall notice has been issued for yet another cot sold in Australia -the White New Zealand Pine 3-in-1 Baby Sleigh Cot Bed with Drawers.

A baby girl, a baffling disease - and the only way to help her is to hurt her

Every morning, Kevin Federici pulls on a head lamp, sterilises a sewing needle and prepares to prick his baby girl all over her tiny body.

If you make your own baby food you'll love this Instagram account

Tired of making carrot purée? Take a look at this mum's homemade baby food creations.

The unique baby names literally no one is choosing

After a unique baby name for your little one? Here are the monikers no one chose in 2016.

'It's such a boost': mum receives 'thanks for breastfeeding in public' card

It was the boost one mum needed at just the right time.

Sharing makes young children happy - just don't force them

There are many emotional benefits to sharing, but only if it's voluntary.

5 ways to a healthy pregnancy

An easy pregnancy that results in a healthy baby: that's the dream.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.