School Holiday routines & schedules

14 replies to this topic

#1 Prioritising Pooks

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:56 PM

Day 1 of holidays for us after a weekend of illness and DS is Not Coping with the lack of routine and I'm not loving the endless questions about what we are doing today and into the future. We have a visual calander and daily task schedule we normally use and it's empty except the party icon for Christmas day- and he's not happy. I'm exhausted and have both overlooked this obvious problem, and am struggling to do anything creative to address it. Has anyone got a daily routine and holiday shedule that has worked for the routine lovers in their family to give me ideas.

#2 Paddlepop

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:02 PM

While you're still recovering, could you just schedule simple things for now? eg 1 hour at the park at 4pm Wednesday, DVD of choice at 9am Thursday, outdoor play for 1 hour at 5pm today, etc. Simple activities but give DS a time for it?

I'm sure others will be along with better ideas but this might work for the next few days.

#3 halcyondays

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:59 PM

We do 6.30- earliest you can get up. Read til 7.30
7.30- breakfast
8.30- play outside
10- morning tea
10.30- get dressed
11am- whatever activity I pick- shops/ swim/ library
1pm- lunch
Screens til 3pm
Afternoon tea
Reading or music or craft
4pm - gardening/ play soccer/ play outside
5.30 go to mail box, hunt Pokémon, scoot
6.30 - dinner
7- play outside
Bath, bed
I then fill in ideas for what to play- but mine are happy to do the same game many times then move onto a different idea.
We also have vacation care, so that breaks up their week a bit.

#4 Beancat

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:29 PM

Might just copy your schedule halcyon days

#5 Ange remplie

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:39 PM

What works for us, Pooks, is to have the landmarks in the day fairly concrete.

So - lunch is at 1pm pretty much on the dot every day.  Dinner is at 6pm and followed by bath and the bedtime routine.  (She's in the bath right now).

The days when DH is working and it's just the two of us the day tends to fall into two blocks - a block at home where I do domestic and practical stuff and she mostly amuses herself (mostly screen time or fairly quiet play) and a block out where I try to do something she'll enjoy (so more than just the grocery run, iykwim).

But apart from that DD's not too fussed if I mix it up and we go out in the afternoon instead of the morning, or something.

Would it maybe help if you plan where you're going out for the next couple of weeks, and can tell him that bit?  Even if it's just "Thursday park, Friday shopping, Saturday swim" kind of thing?

#6 Prioritising Pooks

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:27 PM

Yes I think it would help him to have an idea of what we are going to do each day, the only problem is that I haven't one! I will try to sketch out a plan for the next 7 days at least. I hope that will be enough to remove the unsettling uncertainty he's feeling.

The routine during the day is the tricky bit. Both kids need a lot of active attention and I have stuff to be done. Things like DD's naps and their willingness to do anything independently while I'm doing something else really throw things out.  To be honest I think I need the routine too or nothing will get done.

Thanks for the breakdown halcyon days, I think I can adapt that to fit for us. Wish I could get the little blighters to go play for chunks of time like that!

#7 greenthumbs

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:45 PM

PooksALotLikeXmas, on 20 December 2016 - 08:27 PM, said:

Thanks for the breakdown halcyon days, I think I can adapt that to fit for us. Wish I could get the little blighters to go play for chunks of time like that!

Yep, thanks from me too halcyon. My shrink has been suggesting I have a daily routine as I'm very disorganised and I know the kids work better with one. But just getting it together proved too difficult.

Mine are the same pooks. DS1 is useless at entertaining himself (is this a first child thing?), but DS2 can potter a bit, but they both constantly need my attention.

I truly think though, that if they had a 'routine', the free time bit would work better, maybe.... hopefully...?

#8 halcyondays

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:52 PM

Mine play for 20 minute chunks, but not for the first few days of holidays, when it was a whinge fest as they learnt to wind down.
When I say "play outside"- I usually start off with soccer, leave them  to it until the fights start. Then get them into trampoline for a while, then interest the younger in the clothes pegs while I hang out washing.
It is exhausting the first week, but after a bit of routine, they know what's next so it flows a bit better.
I like a routine myself-notice the vast amount of afternoon screen time! More for me to nap.....

#9 FeralZombieMum

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:58 PM

halcyondays, on 20 December 2016 - 04:59 PM, said:

We do 6.30- earliest you can get up. Read til 7.30
7.30- breakfast
8.30- play outside
10- morning tea
10.30- get dressed
11am- whatever activity I pick- shops/ swim/ library
1pm- lunch
Screens til 3pm
Afternoon tea
Reading or music or craft
4pm - gardening/ play soccer/ play outside
5.30 go to mail box, hunt Pokémon, scoot
6.30 - dinner
7- play outside
Bath, bed
I then fill in ideas for what to play- but mine are happy to do the same game many times then move onto a different idea.
We also have vacation care, so that breaks up their week a bit.

This is good.

You could make the activities more routine -
ie Monday outing is library day, Tuesday is Swimming. Wednesday is the park etc.

Monday's craft is "playdough", Tuesday's craft is "colouring in", Wednesday's craft is "cook a cake with Mum"

Monday's outdoor activity is sandpit, Tuesday's outdoor activity is riding scooters.

etc

#10 Prioritising Pooks

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:56 PM

My only hesitation is that what if we change plans- there are things I'd like to do these holidays that will depend on weather and availability of friends and so on. I'm so bad at this, I need to get better though. Usually our weeks are quite full with regular activities and that forces me into it.

#11 Ange remplie

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:08 PM

I find the biggest hurdle to routine during the day is getting us all up on time, to be honest.

We are not a household of morning people.  :ninja:

Pooks, do you think your DS would cope with an either/or?  Ie. If it is sunny we will go to the zoo, if it is rainy we will do x instead, kind of thing?  Or is that too indeterminate?

#12 Paddlepop

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:17 PM

For the things that depend on weather etc, you could try doing up some cards/labels or whatever it is that you use, and explain to DS that these activities might swap with others because of the weather etc. That way if/when you do change what it planned for the day, it's a known change of activity instead of an unknown change. It won't be completely unexpected so he might accept it better than if it was seemingly sprung on him.

#13 F.E.B.E

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:35 PM

For our routine-oriented child DH used to write up a daily schedule like:

7am breakfast
7.30am TV
8.00am get dressed
9.00am Park
11.00am morning tea
11.30am Lego

etc etc. We would only write it the day before or in the morning.

Or does your DS want to know further ahead of time?

#14 Prioritising Pooks

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:57 PM

I think he wants to know what's happening in his world generally ahead of time, but the daily routine is more about a feeling of predictability that after we do x, we do y, then z. He did very well in childcare and kinder once he understood the "rhythm" of the place. We have had no real rhythm here and he's spend much of today firmly up my rear whining, crying, wanting to be held and telling me there is nothing he wants to do or eat or play with. He needs to be told, ok it's time for this thing. If that makes sense?

I'll try visuals to show him that weather and activities need to be matched. Otherwise I forsee him asking me about it sixteen times before breakfast.

Bloody ABC4kids are running ads about "3 days of Christmas!" meaning they are scheduling 3 days of Christmas themed programs starting Friday. He thinks it means it's day one of three days of Christmas. We have discussed this matter about eleventybillion times and he will still wander around the house exclaiming, I can't believe it's actually Christmas for 3 days! Visuals. Must remember visuals.

#15 Prioritising Pooks

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:00 PM

Ok so far so good. Worth the extra effort. Thank you for the advice!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win a Springfree Trampoline!

Click now for your chance to WIN a Springfree Trampoline (R54 Compact Round) plus Australia-wide delivery ? valued up to $1774!

Midwife's hand inside birth canal for 90 minutes saves baby's life

Baby Emelia's arrival into the world wasn't exactly smooth sailing.

Melbourne - get your FREE tickets!

Register now for your free ticket (valued at $20) for the Melbourne Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores.

It's really hard work, baby, but still worth it

You are over it and you want to know, is this all worth it?

Vitamin K injections: what you need to know

Why do babies need vitamin K after birth? Here's what you need to know.

Mum's emotional letter on last day of maternity leave

A heartfelt letter from a mum to her nine-week-old son has a struck a chord with working mothers everywhere.

What I learnt after having six miscarriages

Experiencing recurrent miscarriage is like entering an endless dark tunnel. Once you enter that tunnel it is a fight from start to finish

Recall issued for popular brand of baby biscuits

You will want to check your cupboard and give these the flick, after a recall was issued this week.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

See Pinky McKay live - for FREE

Pinky will be speaking daily at the Essential Baby & Toddler Show, Melbourne, 28-30 April. Free tickets now!

Last chance for free tickets

See Pinky McKay live - for FREE

Pinky will be speaking daily at the Essential Baby & Toddler Show, Melbourne, 28-30 April. Free tickets now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.