Baby screams in car

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 amdirel

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:35 AM

Walking and public transport! That's what I had to do unfortunately! I ended up turning him forward facing at a stupidly early age, but in my defence, this was years ago, before anyone had ever heard of extended rear facing. If I had this problem now, knowing what I know about RF vs FF, I don't know what I'd do tbh. But I would definitely be trying to minimise car time by going on foot where possible.

#27 RemyBlue

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:43 AM

One of my babies screamed non stop in the car. Like a PP it only stopped when I turned the seat to forward facing. That was a very long 10 months.

Another one screamed for maybe the first two months then just stopped. Sorry I'm no help. I understand how stressful that screaming is though.

Edited by RemyBlue, 17 November 2016 - 08:43 AM.

#28 Melissashaye

Posted 17 November 2016 - 02:29 PM

Both of mine where the same. I can't remember when DD1 grew out of it, but where possible, someone sat in the back, or if on my own I stopped lots to resettle. I didnt have the option to do either with DD2, but she grew out of it by 5 months. I had to just grin and bear it- sing, give toys etc. however, for about a month I made a kind decision to minimize trips that weren't necesssry. I felt much better about that within myself, as I suffer with mummy guilt at the best of times!

Edited by Melissashaye, 17 November 2016 - 02:30 PM.

#29 Msmith1984

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:42 PM

Both of mine were like this unfortunately. Nothing helped apart from a dummy! It got easier over time....

#30 Gudrun

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:47 PM

Thank you EBers for all your responses.  It's very reassuring/encouraging to get the word from the real practitioners.

I have passed your experiences and tips on.

Apparently it is a RF seat she is using, not a capsule (my mistake, but she said 'it's just words Mum!') and she has got a mirror.

Knowing it is shared experience and she may have to just wait it out makes it a little easier.  She might try a fan, minimising excursions where she can't get someone to sit in the back and taking routes where she can stop often.

Baby might be better when she is FF and can see her mother. We'll see.

Thanks again!

G

#31 SeaPrincess

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:59 PM

My youngest hated the capsule, which came with a rented car. We had both for just over 6 weeks from when she was 3 weeks old. It was actually at the point where I dreaded any car trip and I felt like it was verging on dangerous for me to be driving with the children. The day our own car and RF seat arrived from interstate was the day that the screaming stopped.

I turned all of mine to FF before they turned 1, but not as early as 6 months, for the same reason. The screaming seemed to me to be more dangerous than a calm ride.

#32 ACT mum

Posted 20 November 2016 - 03:44 PM

REFLUX!! This same sign was the key factor is getting my first baby diagnosed with reflux.

Easy way to diagnose this is to get some baby gaviscon and give baby a dose 20 mins before you get in the car. If you get silence, then you know it's reflux from the scrunched position.

So then there are a few options, and first would be to take baby to doctor and have baby looked at for other reflux symptoms and whether they are impacting health or general happiness of baby.

#33 Penguin78

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:12 PM

Ive had two car screamers.

First got better after he was turned at 6 months.

Second only got better now at 2.5 years when we got a bigger car with a TV. It has been a hellish 2 years for car travel!!

Best of luck to her

#34 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:25 PM

Another screamer here too. Combo of car sicknesses and unable to cope with bright light in her eyes. She was wearing sunglasses at about 1yo. I really feel for you, it is just awful.

#35 snowflakedoll

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:51 PM

I really feel for your poor daughter.

My bub screamed from about 6 weeks to 18 months old when I turned her forward facing.

During the screaming phase I used a remote control brica firefly mirror which helped a lot but didn't solve the problem. When I drove by myself I limited myself for driving for 10 minutes. I tried to walk everywhere.

When we needed to drive somewhere for more than 10mins I'd have someone sit in the back and try and entertain/distract her when I could.

It was so hard- I think it contributed to my PND as I felt so trapped and it was so traumatic hearing her scream.

http://www.target.co...or/-/A-14558265

#36 Wolf87

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:53 PM

Won't be much use to you at the minute but when Bub is a bit older. I bought a cheap DVD player that you can hook onto the headrest. Car journeys are very calm! 18 months still rear facing.

#37 RSA

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:06 PM

Yep, my girl hates the car as well. She has reflux so potentially that could be why mine hates it, but I also think it's because of the excess padding, I think she feels super cramped/wedged. She also overheats and sweats. She will scream and scream and scream, I hate it so I feel your pain.

The only thing that works for me is to try and time longer trips (over 10 minutes) for when she is slightly tired and stick the 'silencer' aka the dummy in her mouth.. not a guarantee.. but it sometimes works.. Sorry!

#38 Soontobegran

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:20 PM

Gudrun, I have children who've had children who  have been completely different car travelers.
They FF one child as soon as safely possible with enormous positive changes and yet RF the other child for over 12 months because they were happy travelers.
One recorded a disc of her singing nursery rhymes that helped calm her son and she used a mirror and even a DVD player with ABC for kids on it.
You do what you have to do. :)

View PostAsperHacker, on 16 November 2016 - 09:25 PM, said:

With dds dad a 3.5 hour round trip fortnightly, my second two were screamers in the car. I had no choice but to wait until they got over it and stop for lots of feeds.

I'd be really uncomfortable going ff when current guidelines suggest not to. Dd went ff at 6 months because "guidelines" said she could then. I wasn't willing to compromise safety with the other two because they cried. Both were rf until well after 1 (I'd have preferred longer if their car seats allowed).

Oh and loud radio helped... eventually.

Eta lying down, reflux babies I have no advice, mine weren't.

Not all people have a choice of avoiding car trips until they 'get over it' nor stop for frequent feeds........Having to get to work at a certain time sort of takes away that option.

'Safety' is subjective........a stressed distracted parent with a  screaming RF baby or a relaxed and vigilant parent with a FF child in an approved FF seat ?
Don't judge.

Edited by Soontobegran, 20 November 2016 - 08:28 PM.

#39 NastyAH

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:24 PM

View PostSoontobegran, on 20 November 2016 - 08:20 PM, said:

Gudrun, I have children who've had children who  have been completely different car travelers.
They FF one child as soon as safely possible with enormous positive changes and yet RF the other child for over 12 months because they were happy travelers.
One recorded a disc of her singing nursery rhymes that helped calm her son and she used a mirror and even a DVD player with ABC for kids on it.
You do what you have to do. :)

Not all people have a choice of avoiding car trips until they 'get over it' nor stop for frequent feeds........Having to get to work at a certain time sort of takes away that option.

'Safety' is subjective........a stressed distracted parent with a  screaming RF baby or a relaxed and vigilant parent with a FF child in an approved FF seat ?
Don't judge.

Yeah, I didn't get to avoid the car trips. I didn't have that choice, there were parts of the trip I couldn't stop and I had to be at dds father's on time for various reasons so I had to deal with it! And I was talking about a 2.5 hour trip - I doubt most people work 2.5 hours away with a baby. I

I addressed it being safer to ff sometimes in a later post. So, I wasn't judging. Please read my posts before deciding I'm judging something I'm not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Postnatal depression and the feelings that scare mums most

"I was shocked and horrified that I'd had this thought. That's not me."

A toddler’s step-by-step guide to avoiding bedtime

How many of these tactics does your toddler employ at bedtime?

Melbourne - get your FREE tickets!

Register now for your free ticket (valued at $20) for the Melbourne Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores.

The great toddler chase: every pregnant mum's nightmare

This is the funniest photo ever. We've all been there!

Would you do this to your baby in a carseat?

One mum looked that fear in the face and shared how important it is to think about adjusting the straps on our kids' car seats.

The secret to fitness after having a baby

It turns out that taking a more flexible approach might be the best way to make it happen.

Frustrated mum's genius plan to stop dinner time battles

Hands up who is sick and tired of cooking dinner for their kids every night only to have them complain about what's on their plate.

Photo shoot captures the dirty work of parenting

What do you do when you want a sweet maternity shoot but it just won't stop raining?

Could this simple thing help you avoid the 'baby blues'?

Researchers are now looking at whether the nutrients you ingest after giving birth can help reduce your likelihood of developing the baby blues.

We face more judgement than our mums did, study finds

We're judged more than our mums were - science says so.

As a mum, it's hard to ask for help. And that needs to change

Yesterday was a bad day for me. I started feeling ill a couple of days ago but battled on, as we do.

Why I don't care about your gender reveal

So you're having a baby? That's great, babies are awesome.

Dad's simple baby soothing hack

When this dad's baby wouldn't stop crying he took matters into his own hands. He also recorded what he did to let other people in on the simple hack and now it's going viral.

Husband gives birth after his wife was unable to fall pregnant

After his wife struggled to conceive, transgender man Chris Rehs-Dupin decided to give it a go.

10 things I thought about motherhood before I actually became a mum

Everyone is a parenting expert until they have kids – right?

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Win 1 of 10 awesome Peppa Pig prize packs

Who loves Peppa? We have 10 packs to give away - including family passes to see the brand new movie, in cinemas March 16!

Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores

28th - 30th April, 2017, Melbourne Royal Exhibition Building, Carlton. Get your FREE ticket now. Save $20.

Free ticket offer

Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores

28th - 30th April, 2017, Melbourne Royal Exhibition Building, Carlton. Get your FREE ticket now. Save $20.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.