Baby screams in car

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Gudrun

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:55 PM

On behalf of my daughter.  She has a two-month old who is very 'well behaved' as babies go but has decided she hates the car.

Capsule been checked and checked.

Anyone had a baby like this and can give any tips?

Mine were all the opposite.  They yelled at home and shut up in the car:)

Edited by Gudrun, 16 November 2016 - 02:57 PM.

#2 Riotproof

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:12 PM

It will hopefully end soon. I didn't specifically do anything other than wait.

#3 ~Nasty_Jodama~

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:44 PM

My kid hated the car until the day I turned her around at 6 months from then car rides where bliss.

Until that day it was horrific. Kids wore headphones and cranked their show and I at one point resorted to headphones myself with music, just to get through it.

Disclaimer - I get the its better to extend rear face but we lived 2 hours from anywhere and Im sorry but listening to a screaming baby for that period was a sure fire way to want to drive off a cliff on the way to the destination!!!

#4 Nastyflea

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:50 PM

The only thing that worked for me was to get rid of the capsule(hired through Kidsafe, horrible hard thing it was, no padding) and get  a rear facing seat. More padded and the angle seemed better than the capsule I think she was scrunched in the capsule.

I avoided taking her anywhere for a while, she cried, I cried...
We got through it.

#5 Riotproof

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:53 PM

If it's still happening at 6 months, then yes turning seems like the only choice.

Gudrun, does she have one of those mirrors? Maybe seeing mum will help.

#6 theboys2

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:54 PM

Jenflea, on 16 November 2016 - 03:50 PM, said:

The only thing that worked for me was to get rid of the capsule(hired through Kidsafe, horrible hard thing it was, no padding) and get  a rear facing seat. More padded and the angle seemed better than the capsule I think she was scrunched in the capsule.

I avoided taking her anywhere for a while, she cried, I cried...
We got through it.

I was going to say the same thing. try a RF carseat as sometimes these are slightly less reclined then a capsule and babys are more comfortable.

also try and always make sure their pants and nappies arent too tight when going into the car.

I would try and get through it and try not to turn at 6 months. it is now recommended to try and at least get to 12 months before changing and even better is as long as possible.

there are A4 seats now that can RF up to 2/3 years. I have a baby love ezy switch which is the lower end of pricing for a4 and my nearly 3 year old has ages to go RF and loves it.

Good luck. my two both went thru a screaming phases and no matter how loud the music was it was still hard to hear them be so upset!

#7 AlmondButter

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:07 PM

Riotproof, on 16 November 2016 - 03:12 PM, said:

It will hopefully end soon. I didn't specifically do anything other than wait.

Yep this was me with DS1. It was terrible but started getting better around 4 months when I could go longer & longer stretches before hysterical screaming began. At some point he even started falling asleep in the car & we drove from Sydney to Byron when he was about 2.5 with no troubles. So it does get better!

Things that helped when someone else was driving was me sitting in the back with him, singing & trying to keep a dummy in his mouth...

Hope it gets better soon for your daughter. It can be isolating - I didn't drive much those first few weeks as it was just too distracting & dangerous...

EFS

Edited by AlmondButter, 16 November 2016 - 04:09 PM.

#8 mayahlb

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:21 PM

Time was the only thing that helped us. It settled at around 4months but before that was so so bad, I would avoid going anywhere (which is hard when you live out of town without any shops nearby).

Maybe try a RF seat, or a mirror. I know people who have found that helped. Also it might be that bub is getting hot, those seats can be horrible because there isn't enough air getting in and poor bub is sweating up a storm. We had a little clip on fan from dreambaby that was made of foam. I would clip it to the headrest of the seat and it made him much more comfy because it cooled him down.

#9 lucky 2

Posted 16 November 2016 - 05:21 PM

Dd was like this. She had silent reflux which might have been a factor. She also has quite severe car sickness so ? if that was part of the issue. Nothing help ex ept time, she was forward facing as that was normal when she was young. Seeing me, mirrors, music, singing and talking had little effect.
It was very stressful, I played calming music, for myself!

#10 Feral Nelly

Posted 16 November 2016 - 05:32 PM

All three of mine have been car screamers. Even turning them forward facing didn't help much. My oldest two are ok now, especially since they can watch a DVD if it's a long trip. They ar6 and 4 though. My youngest is 4 months and we have a 2 hour car trip coming up. I. Am. Dreading. It.

#11 CallMeFeral

Posted 16 November 2016 - 05:40 PM

I had screamers on and off for their first year. The dummy helped a little. Mostly headphones for me helped the most...

#12 KwaziiCat

Posted 16 November 2016 - 05:42 PM

My DS screamed hysterically every car trip and finally when he was about 4 months old we swapped the capsule (ours was a maxi cosi) over to a rear facing car seat. Screaming completely stopped.  

I thought he might have just hated rear facing but we ended up doing extended rear facing until he was about 2.5.  So in our case the capsule was definitely the issue.  

Car trips were incredibly stressful - I would have to constantly pull over to check on him, try and sooth him and sometimes have to get him out to calm him down before continuing on which would of course meant the screaming started all over again.

#13 SplashingRainbows

Posted 16 November 2016 - 05:47 PM

It's pretty normal in my experience. Thankfully my kids outgrew it - maybe around 3 months or so?

Losing the capsule does help I think, and making sure the nappy is not too tight.

My eldest used to calm down if he could hear me singing. Twinkle twinkle little star over and over and over again....

#14 c.sanders

Posted 16 November 2016 - 05:59 PM

Screamers here too. I found toys above their seat helped. .and wiggles CD and me singing along (like a dying parrot)... not always...but half the time

#15 Abcde-La-A

Posted 16 November 2016 - 06:17 PM

A friend of mine has just had some success with a Shusher, a thing that makes white noise in the car.

#16 Prioritising Pooks

Posted 16 November 2016 - 09:04 PM

Silent reflux was a factor for DS. Different RF seats didn't seem to make a difference. I pretty much avoided leaving the house. If I had an important appointment then I tried to get someone to travel with us, in the back next to him trying to comfort him. That was also helpful in the sense that those people reassured me that his screaming was highly distressing and not "normal". I used to pull over and calm him then try again but he'd start screaming again straight away. He'd frequently power spew from the screaming. I had 3x minor road accidents on the very occasional times I drove alone with him short distances.

We turned him the very second we could and he settled a lot (he was still a generally miserable baby but the wild screaming stopped, it was absolutely the best choice in terms of safety.

DD is one of those regular babies who gets upset in the car sometimes, but meh. Nothing to write home about. She's 15mo and still rear facing.

Take from that what you will.

#17 Jo.F

Posted 16 November 2016 - 09:18 PM

Does she get hot? Our son would scream every time we went anywhere and then one day out of desperation we put the air con on (wasn't a warm day) and he stopped crying. From them onwards every time we went anywhere we had the air con on and he was much happier. He's a hot baby in general and must have been getting too hot in the padding.

The downside is we have to rug up because it gets cold in there with the air con on all the time.

Sometimes I still have to sit in the back with him (he's 14mo now) but 90% of the time he's fine. He's still RF but I think we will spin him around soon.

#18 Coffeegirl

Posted 16 November 2016 - 09:18 PM

DD loved the car.  Never heard a peep out of her.

DS screamed in the car pretty much from birth until he was 3 years old.  

He does get a bit car sick on long trips now.  

Was especially horrific as we only had one car and I had to drive DH to and from the train each day!

#19 AsperHacker

Posted 16 November 2016 - 09:25 PM

With dds dad a 3.5 hour round trip fortnightly, my second two were screamers in the car. I had no choice but to wait until they got over it and stop for lots of feeds.

I'd be really uncomfortable going ff when current guidelines suggest not to. Dd went ff at 6 months because "guidelines" said she could then. I wasn't willing to compromise safety with the other two because they cried. Both were rf until well after 1 (I'd have preferred longer if their car seats allowed).

Oh and loud radio helped... eventually.

Eta lying down, reflux babies I have no advice, mine weren't.

Edited by AsperHacker, 16 November 2016 - 09:27 PM.

#20 sparkles30

Posted 16 November 2016 - 09:30 PM

Time. I literally tried everything else to no avail!

I may or may not have had to crawl along at 2kph on the side of the road with hazard lights on with daughter out of her car seat for about a kilometre to get home one evening. A 20 minute drive had already taken me 1.5 hours as we just kept having to stop as the screaming had turned to choking and what looked almost like fitting because she was so hysterical she wasn't making any noise.

The best I could come up with was to stay home or time trips where I could put her in the carseat already asleep.

#21 Prioritising Pooks

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:13 PM

You're not really compromising safety by turning,  if by doing so you're dramatically reducing the likelihood of being in a road accident. Add in the risk of choking and the impact of not traveling etc. You've got to weigh up the relative risks.

#22 Riotproof

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:15 PM

ShamelesslyPooks, on 16 November 2016 - 10:13 PM, said:

You're not really compromising safety by turning,  if by doing so you're dramatically reducing the likelihood of being in a road accident. Add in the risk of choking and the impact of not traveling etc. You've got to weigh up the relative risks.

I think this is absolutely right.
There's a lot Gudrun's daughter can try though, her baby might outgrow it.

#23 Paddlepop

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:40 PM

Perhaps the baby hates the bright sunlight coming in through the rear windscreen. My DD didn't like it much at all and started to kick up a fuss in the car, after previously loving being in the car. Took us a few months to work it out. Ever since then she's always worn sunglasses in the car and when out in bright sunlight.

#24 AsperHacker

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:19 PM

ShamelesslyPooks, on 16 November 2016 - 10:13 PM, said:

Of course. Re choking - I specifically said I've never had a reflux baby. And in an otherwise healthy baby who just doesn't like the car who's parents can pull over to feed or whatever, FF does compromise safety. When the benefits of FF are greater than rf then ff!

#25 Pocketmoney

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:23 PM

I've not had any luck with capsules. Rear facing car seats were better for us, plus trying to keep them cool, removing any extra cushions that came with the seat (so long as the instructions don't say not too), sun shades on the windows, park in the shade and dress baby in light clothing. I think you can get little fans that clip on that can help circulate the aircon but I'm not sure if they are recommended.

I hope you find something that helps, driving through the screaming is possibly one of the worst things I've ever experienced.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

How dare anyone accuse a mum of 'milking' a miscarriage

A heartless comment from a stranger shocked the already devastated radio host Em Rusciano.

How breast milk can help relieve your baby's teething pain

Try one mum's simple parenting hack to ease your baby's discomfort.

Top 10 common health myths busted

To help combat the misinformation and spread good health, here are the most common health myths compared to fact.

How to make flying with a toddler more bearable

After almost three years of living in Canada, it was time to pack our bags, bundle up our three children (including our two and a half year old Toddler) and pray to the heavens above, before flying to Aussie Land to see our family and friends.

Breastfeeding may help with caesarean pain, says new study

Breastfeeding after a caesarean section may help manage persistent pain, finds new research on the post-birth experience of new mothers.

Recall notice: fourth cot recalled in less than one month

A recall notice has been issued for yet another cot sold in Australia -the White New Zealand Pine 3-in-1 Baby Sleigh Cot Bed with Drawers.

A baby girl, a baffling disease - and the only way to help her is to hurt her

Every morning, Kevin Federici pulls on a head lamp, sterilises a sewing needle and prepares to prick his baby girl all over her tiny body.

If you make your own baby food you'll love this Instagram account

Tired of making carrot purée? Take a look at this mum's homemade baby food creations.

The unique baby names literally no one is choosing

After a unique baby name for your little one? Here are the monikers no one chose in 2016.

'It's such a boost': mum receives 'thanks for breastfeeding in public' card

It was the boost one mum needed at just the right time.

Sharing makes young children happy - just don't force them

There are many emotional benefits to sharing, but only if it's voluntary.

5 ways to a healthy pregnancy

An easy pregnancy that results in a healthy baby: that's the dream.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.