Going into natural labour before scheduled caesar

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MummaTurkey

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:50 AM

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone went into natural labour before a scheduled c-section, and, if so, when you went in to hospital and what the process was?

I have a scheduled caesar in a couple of weeks, but have been feeling a bit crampy the last few days, then had a bloody show last night. Called the hospital and they said I could still be weeks away and just to come in if I get regular contractions and/or my waters break.

All fine and makes sense but I'm worried as I know you aren't supposed to eat for 6 hours before the surgery and I'm just not totally sure what the process will be, ie how quickly will the surgery happen after I get to hospital, how long do they leave me contracting while everything gets organised?

I've got an obs appt tomorrow so will ask everything then, but if anyone else has experience would love to hear it,

Thanks! MB

Edited by MummaBirdy, 23 October 2016 - 09:51 AM.

#2 miss mia

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:04 AM

This happened to me!

I was scheduled for the Monday but the Thursday night before I started having cramps and then my waters broke. It was about 2am when we got to the hospital. The nurses called my obstetrician and he came in and I was in the operating theatre by 7am.

My first delivery was also a planned c section and it went ahead as planned. I found the recovery for that one much easier. The labour I experienced made the second time much more difficult to recover.

Good luck!

#3 miss mia

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:08 AM

Sorry, just realised I didn't answer your questions.

By the time I got to hospital my contractions had slowed. So my obstetrician decided to wait until 7 am which was fine. In total my contractions lasted about 9 hours but stopped and started throughout that time. They offered me pain relief but I decided to wait until surgery.

It was also the middle of the night so waiting the 6 hours after surgery wasn't a problem.

#4 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:15 AM

Yes it happened to me with my second - I was scheduled for a c section on Monday but went into labour the Thursday before - my first was a c section (without even a hint of labour pains or even braxton hicks) so I didn't know what labour felt like, and I did initially shrug them off as Braxton hicks - so I went to bed Thursday night - by early morning they were getting progressively worse, and I think my water had broke as well - so I called the hospital, they told me to come in immediately - I arrived and was prepped then and there for an emergency c. My OB kind of roused on me for not calling sooner. Recovery was fine.

#5 *Arcadia*

Posted 23 October 2016 - 07:18 PM

My friend had a placental abruption that required an immediate emergency c-section. The bleeding started late morning and she had already eaten breakfast and morning tea but they still gave her a general and got baby out straight away. I wouldn't worry about not fasting as anathesiologists would know what to do in a situation where the patient hasn't been able to fast.

#6 Micat

Posted 23 October 2016 - 07:34 PM

I had a c section scheduled for 39+4, but waters went at 35+6. It was 1am, went straight in, they were hoping to wait till the next morning, but mild contractions started, so I had surgery pretty quickly and she was born at 4am. I hadn't eaten for a while, so was ok, but they didn't seem concerned or even ask.
My first was an emergency Caesar, I'd just had dinner when things got going, they operated straight away (28 weeks).
Eating is pretty safe if you're having a spinal, it's mostly a precaution for if you need a GA. But even then, if it's an emergency, they'll still go ahead and take extra precautions.
Good luck

#7 rosie28

Posted 23 October 2016 - 07:43 PM

This happened to me with my second- booked for the Monday but went into labour at 3.30 Friday morning, 3 days early. I essentially had a "rescheduled" c section, everything was very calm and moving slowly so they just called my OB and she came in and did the c section when she arrived. They were slightly concerned as I'd had a few mouthfuls of milk within 6 hours but there wasn't much choice! They moved on from that quickly.

It will take a little bit of organising, so I'd say to count on perhaps an hour of labour once you're in hospital, depending on whether your OB is around or not.

Edited by rosie28, 23 October 2016 - 07:49 PM.

#8 Makalu

Posted 23 October 2016 - 07:43 PM

I also have a scheduled csection coming up in a few weeks. I asked my OB what the chances of going into labour early was and he said it's about 5-10% of patients if you're planning for one at 39 weeks. I figure that's 90-95% chance it'll happen on the planned date so not worrying so much any more. He also said if you go into labour early they just treat it as an emergency csection on that day (but still a planned emergency if that makes sense) so they'll fit you into the emergency list and they'll know you've eaten beforehand etc.

#9 MummyHILI

Posted 23 October 2016 - 07:46 PM

I went into labour a few days before my scheduled c - section (in a private hospital, if that makes a difference).
I got into hospital and contractions were 2 mins apart (oops I though it was braxton hicks, despite being my third birth)!
I had only stopped eating 30 mins prior to my c - section.  They gave me something to settle my stomach acids (I think) and within about an hour I was in the operating theatre.
All went perfectly and I had a great recovery :-)

#10 MummaTurkey

Posted 23 October 2016 - 08:28 PM

Thank you so much everyone, it's great to understand a bit more about what might happen. Still bleeding a bit but no obvious contractions and baby moving normally, so will just sit tight til my appt tomorrow,

Have now packed my hospital bag and got a few more things organised today, too!

MB

#11 PandH

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:12 PM

This happened with my second, first was an emergency C. Went into labour around 5am, got up at 6, had a shower dropped my other daughter off and was in hospital at 8am. Rang my obstetrician on the way. Had a C-section around 11am. I knew I had to have a C-section, so my Ob said I should get to hospital as soon as I went into labour. Depends on your situation, but stay in contact with your Ob and go to hospital sooner rather than later. Good luck!

#12 BECZ

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:56 PM

This happened to me with no.3.  I had a c-section with no.2 as he was breech.  We chose to have another c-section with no.3 as obs. were a little more nervous about VBAC, in those days.  
I started having back pain while shopping on the way home from my obs. appointment the day before my c-section and thought nothing of it.  We had moved house three days earlier and it had been a long day, so I just put it down to that.  Back pain came and went throughout the night and I kind of questioned it while having dinner at the inlaws, as I hadn't done anything for ages and it still kept coming and going.  I finally stopped unpacking boxes at 1am and went and looked it up to discover that labour pains can be in the back!
I got DF to pack my bag and rang the hospital to tell them that we were on our way (as my ob told me to come in immediately if anything happens early) only to be told not to come in yet!  DF rang numerous times throughout the night to explain my story and the same midwife constantly fobbed us off.  We rang the hospital again just after 8 am and a new midwife was on duty.  She told us to get our butts their immediately.  Ummm...it was peak hour and hospital was about 20 minutes away on a good run!  She told us that we need to call an ambulance.  Bubs arrived about 2 minutes after the ambo's arrived.  

I didn't lose my plug until just before the ambo's arrived and my waters didn't break until I pushed!  She was out in two pushes and that's only because they made me stop to check the cord.

That midwife got fried and when I returned to have no.4 my ob told me that she no longer worked there anymore, as he made sure of that.

So please don't be soft like me and if something starts happening, go to the hospital even if told not to.
All the best!

#13 MummaTurkey

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:02 PM

I can't believe that BECZ! That must have been so scary. Amazing you managed a successful VBAC though. Glad to hear action was taken against the midwife.

So a quick update from me to close out the post. After spotting and irregular mild contractions over last week, I did end up going into natural labour over the weekend (2 weeks early and a week before my scheduled Caesar date). My waters broke while I was in bed and contractions started shortly after. I called the hospital and went straight in, and within an hour and a half my obs had assembled the surgical team and I was prepped and ready. I managed the contraction pain with gas while I waited. They gave me Zantac as I'd eaten within the recommended 6 hour fast period, and the risk is that you feel nauseous and can vomit from the anaesthetic.

DD was born 2.5 hours after my waters broke, so it was all very quick.

She is absolutely gorgeous and I'm recovering very well. Happy days. Thanks for your stories and advice. MB.

#14 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:33 PM

I had 3 c sections scheduled..... Only 1 happened as booked.

First was a week early at 37w5d. Footling breech who broke my waters. I had just had dinner. Got to the hospital 45 mins later. Was given a drink to settle food and c section was complete within 2hrs of arriving at hospital.

Second stayed put for 37w5d date.

Third was 36w3d (38w5d date booked). It started as the runs. Then I realised I was going to the toilet every 5mins, that pain was starting to wash up my back. Called hospital at 9am and was told, no it was not labour. Take a Panadol and lie down. By 10am called MIL to come over (she lives other side of town). She arrived 12noon and I presented at hospital 12.30pm to be told "why was I there it was too early".

Was hooked up to machines and midwives were "OMG you are in labour with strong regular close contractions". They let it go for 30mins (hoping it would stop), but then called OB. I elected to continue with c section (was offered VBA2C). DD was born 2.30pm. So once again 2hrs after arrival.

Like PP said you know your body, turn up at the hospital and ask to be monitored it you feel you need to.

I had had pre labour from 32wks. The week before DD was born I was timing contractions at a wedding down to 5mins before they stopped. 2 nights before awoke timing contractions which stopped again after 2hrs.

So for me her arriving early was not a surprise.

#15 BECZ

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:55 PM

Congrats on the birth of your DD MummaBirdy, I'm sure she's beautiful.
Glad everything went well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.