Skiing in July 2017 - NZ or Australia?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 16 October 2016 - 05:40 PM

As the topic says, which one? It will be DH, DD (6yo) and me. All of us pretty uncoordinated and never skied before. We will be going in school hols (middle week of July) and I'm worried that an Australian ski holiday at that time could mean no snow at all!

What do people suggest?

And of course, interested in any recommendations re location, accomodation, anything else we should know!

#2 opki

Posted 16 October 2016 - 06:30 PM

We went skiing in NZ this year in August. We stayed in Queesntown and skiied at Coronet Peak and the Remarkables. You can use a ski pass at either of those locations- both around 30 - 45 mins from Queenstown. They were both really good! The Remarkables had a few more beginner runs but was a bit further away. We had our 3 and 5 year olds with us and they did skiing lessons. For your 6 year old they have "Kea Kids" which is all day group lessons for kids- lunch is provided. My 5 year old did this and enjoyed it- he even had one on one lessons for an afternoon, because there was no one else in the group. This was the first time skiing for the kids and it went really well- all the instructors were friendly and great with kids. I hadn't done much skiing either and found the lessons really good and the instructors supportive.

As for accommodation I would recommend booking early as Queenstown books up pretty quickly, especially around school holidays. I think in terms of price it's pretty similar, but the NZ scenery is amazing and Queenstown is an awesome place to experience. I would recommend it over skiing in Australia (though I haven't been to any of the Victorian resorts). There are also heaps of other fun things to do in Queenstown if you want a day off from skiing!

#3 QuisbySchmoo

Posted 16 October 2016 - 06:38 PM

I've posted this before on EB before, but our go to accommodation in Queenstown are the Platinum Villa's.

We've stayed there a number of times now and cannot recommend it highly enough.

http://www.platinumqueenstown.co.nz/

#4 halcyondays

Posted 16 October 2016 - 06:41 PM

I love nz, because I can only go during school holidays, and need to put my leave in 12 months in advance. Guaranteed snow in nz, possibly not in aus in July. If timing doesn't matter too much to you, you could wait til June, see how the season seems to be starting and make plans from there.
There is also more to see and do in Queenstown and surrounds than in, say, Thredbo.

#5 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 16 October 2016 - 06:44 PM

Thanks Opki, that is all really good to know. Did you drive to the snow each day or catch the shuttle bus?

#6 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 16 October 2016 - 06:47 PM

Foogle - those apartments look fantastic. Will definitely add them to our list.

halycondays - I'm not really willing to wait until June, partly because the best accomodation will all be taken. So it sounds NZ is probably the way to go for us.

#7 opki

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:25 PM

We drove ourselves to the snow each day but the shuttle busses looked like they were easy to use and ran quite often. Queenstown is quite small if you stay right in town so you wouldn't need a car. But we were driving around the country so had a cheap "road trip special" from Apex Car Hire which worked out well!

#8 fr0g

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:32 PM

FTR, we just returned from NZ last week - Coronet Peak had just closed & Mt Hutt was still open.

Beautiful snow everywhere!!

#9 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:34 PM

Fr0g, on 16 October 2016 - 07:32 PM, said:

FTR, we just returned from NZ last week - Coronet Peak had just closed & Mt Hutt was still open.

Beautiful snow everywhere!!

Hmm, September holidays, that's always an option. I was hoping to cut down the options, not increase them! LOL!!

#10 Moukmouk

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:54 PM

Foogle, on 16 October 2016 - 06:38 PM, said:

I've posted this before on EB before, but our go to accommodation in Queenstown are the Platinum Villa's.

We've stayed there a number of times now and cannot recommend it highly enough.

http://www.platinumqueenstown.co.nz/
Foogle, that's where we stay as well! Shhhh, don't tell everyone. I much prefer skiing in NZ, as there is actually snow, the runs are good, and queenstown has great accomodation, food and wine. The trek up the mountain is annoying though, and the road up to the remarkables is ..... Interesting. The ski school is great at the remarkables. We've also been in September school holidays and it was beautiful - 1.5 m base of snow and sunny. But, if you have never skied before, maybe it is easier to go somewhere you can stay on site, then branch out later.

Edited by Moukmouk, 16 October 2016 - 07:54 PM.

#11 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 17 October 2016 - 05:20 PM

Is there anywhere you can stay on site in NZ? Or do you have to drive to the slopes with all the ski fields?

#12 kidwrangler

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:04 PM

We had the a similar discussion this year for the Sept hols and ended up crossing our fingers and booked in Australia for a few reasons (and it was a great trip, lots of snow!).

Ski insurance: you will need travel insurance if you ski NZ, and it will be more expensive because skiing isn't covered under normal policies. If you or the kids break anything, it's going to be potentially a big issue with flights and returning home.

En piste: we preferred to be on the mountain as we were taking the kids on their first ski trip and no way did I want to be factoring in trying to drive a hire car with our gear or timing things around a bus/ train/ lift. There are a lot more on the mountain options we could find in Australia that didn't involve trying to co-ordinate kids and gear.

Luggage: we chose to drive down rather than fly over so we could take all the extra luggage required for skiing/ winter sports. My husband took time off to drive down with us, but then flew home to return to work while the kids and I had a bit more holiday fun travelling home again.

If you are looking in Australia, we stayed in Thredbo (at the Lantern Apartments, also stayed there on an Easter holiday to climb Mt Kosciuszko). Loved the fact the chairs run from the village, as it meant we could come and go off the mountain as the kids wanted without any stress. There's also a heated pool in the leisure centre for other fun.

My advice is check the snow graphs for the last few seasons to better judge if you'll have good coverage in the July holidays or not. As beginners, you'll want to make sure there's enough coverage on the lower runs.

All the best with the fun of planning :)

#13 dad2two_

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:44 PM

Australia s very hit and miss when it comes to snow and the "mountains" (hills) aren't particularly high, so relatively small runs and the need for snow machines. Cost of ski hire and ski passes is very high, one of the highest in the world, not sure about cost of accommodation. It can get very crowded too. I would opt for NZ over Australia or consider somewhere like Japan, guaranteed snow and cheaper.

Be careful who you speak to as well, when I was looking into Aus vs NZ I was getting some people giving rave reviews about Australia, so I had to do a bit of research first and formed my own opinion. I think if you get a decent snowfall, anywhere can be good, so if you've skied in Australia and got good snow, you're going to rave about the place. But that's a big if. There are places that are still OK with not much snow e.g glacier skiing in Europe, snow all year round, just the lower slopes will be slushy, but Australia and NZ (to a lesser extent) aren't like that. No/little snow = no skiing. The only way I'd consider Australia is a last minute holiday when they've had a decent snowfall or have a plan b to do something in case of no snow.

Posted Image

Europe summer skiing with zero snowfall
Posted Image

#14 dad2two_

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:02 PM

Also for snowboarding, fresh, deep snow is very easy to learn on, great for beginners. Slush or hard packed snow/ice is a nightmare and painful. Not sure about skiing though, can a skier confirm?

#15 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:25 PM

Yeah, I was wondering about the 'not staying on the mountain' issue with NZ. Maybe a Sept plan in Australia would be better. Gah! So hard to know what to do!

#16 opki

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:29 PM

I don't think driving to the snow fields each day is a big problem. In NZ you get all your gear on the mountain and they will store it for you so you don't need to get remeasured each day. So you don't have to worry about driving with equipment.

#17 dad2two_

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:33 PM

opki, on 19 October 2016 - 01:29 PM, said:

I don't think driving to the snow fields each day is a big problem. In NZ you get all your gear on the mountain and they will store it for you so you don't need to get remeasured each day. So you don't have to worry about driving with equipment.

Yup, no worries at all. In Wanaka we were a short drive to Treble Cone and same with Queenstown, it's not a big mission.

#18 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 19 October 2016 - 06:56 PM

OK, that's good to know. I must admit, I've been leaning towards NZ for exactly the reasons you mention dad2two_. Going on the big snow adventure only to find there isn't any doesn't sound like fun!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.