A difficult journey (faith section)

224 replies to this topic

#1 The Little Engine

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:34 PM

New thread title... New user name

Same difficult story - of the turmoils the breakdown of a Christian Marriage due to abuse and control.

The last thread gave me so much strength, so much encouragement and the ability to help make things seem easier than they previously did.

I am hoping this one can do the same.

Regular readers of this section of EB will probably know immediately who I am - but feel free to PM me if you want to double check.

I will post an update tomorrow - the journey this week has been very tough.

#2 Fresh Start

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:38 PM

Go you little engine. Hope all is okay with you.

#3 Nasty Poobah

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:14 PM

Remember "I knew I could", not just "I think I can"!

(I haven't commented before but have seen your story, sending you warm supportive thoughts from a complete stranger.)

Edited by grand poobah, 14 October 2016 - 10:50 PM.

#4 Ellie bean

Posted 15 October 2016 - 12:19 AM

I don't belong in this section but just had to say how much I love your new name :)

#5 Ange remplie

Posted 15 October 2016 - 08:24 AM

Glad to see you're still around.  Keeping you and yours in prayer.

#6 Gateaugirl

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:17 AM

Still thinking of you and praying for you xx

Keep chugging along, you fabulous thing.

#7 Bone Apple Tea

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:32 AM

Thinking of you.  I hope you are okay.

#8 Seaside daisy

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:40 AM

Stay strong Little Engine that could

#9 JinksNewton

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:52 AM

Thinking of you. Your journey has been, and is, a very hard one, but I think the destination will make it all worthwhile.
You've got this <3

#10 The Little Engine

Posted 15 October 2016 - 04:02 PM

So here I am - almost a year from the original thread - so much has changed but yet I am still stuck in the claws of an abusive marriage and the manipulation and control of my xh.

This year has been one of the toughest of my life - and I know for a fact if it wasn't from the regular prayers from close family, friends and some of you lovely people of EB I just may not have got this far.

This week EVERYTHING has been flung at me in spades - I have had to take of 2 days of work due to the stress and I feel like I've been through the wringer. I have never cried so much or felt so helpless.  But still I am here - I have got through the week and now it's the weekend.  The sun is shining and my washing is drying nicely in the wind.

Things have now progressed to the legal stage and it's nasty.  I wish it wasn't... I wish there was something I could do to click my fingers and it all be over.  I was contemplating going with his offer (not arranged through a lawyer at all) just to keep the peace - but I know then I'm giving in... again.  I do NOT care about the money at all - I would prefer to move far away - pack up and go on the next train/plane.   Just somewhere where it is quiet!

I have to remember to stop, breathe and to pray for strength and peace.  I CAN get through this.  I CAN come out the other side.  I CAN protect my kids and help them to understand true values and respect.  I AM a loved and cherished child of God.

Nic

Edited by The Little Engine, 15 October 2016 - 04:02 PM.

#11 Freddie'sMum

Posted 15 October 2016 - 04:19 PM

Hang tough OP.  We are all on your side xx

#12 AKAmum

Posted 15 October 2016 - 07:56 PM

Stay strong and keep your faith. You've got this far, just think where you'll be in another years time. Free!

#13 DJandJ

Posted 15 October 2016 - 08:28 PM

Sorry to hear you've had a hard time. I remember well the stress and fear when my first marriage broke down many years ago. Keep going, you'll get there.

#14 The Little Engine

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:18 PM

I have to get there - I have 3 kids who are dependent on me! 2 of whom seem to be having a very tough time.  My mostly calm middle child has been so down on himself today - has threatened to harm himself many times says he doesn't deserve to live :( Breaks my heart as he's been so affected from the tension etc. I'm doing my best to shield the kids...

Edited by The Little Engine, 15 October 2016 - 09:19 PM.

#15 Nastyflea

Posted 16 October 2016 - 03:32 PM

Are the kids having proper psychological counselling?
I think they need it. Especially if they are talking about self harm.

#16 The Little Engine

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:46 PM

The boys have seen a psychologist several times - but he thinks they are doing really well.  I rang yesterday to get another appointment for the middle child after his incidents on the weekend - but cannot get him in for 2 weeks.

#17 Ellie bean

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:21 PM

Thinking of you TLE

#18 Gateaugirl

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:48 AM

How are you going, OP?

#19 alwayshappy

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:14 PM

Nic, so much love and support coming your way.
Hang in there with the counselling for the kids - even when they might think they are doing well, might appear to be doing well or you're being told they're doing well.  There is no such thing as too much individual time to be nurtured by a counsellor. Your kids really need that support given the trauma they have witnessed.

Use those same children to drive you to a different world. One free from abuse, control and violence. Free them from that experience and know that what you're doing is good for them too.

He's going to throw everything he's got at you because you dared walk away. He's losing control and he doesn't like it. Stay firm to your principals. Don't let him wear you down.

We've all got your back.

#20 sunshine_days

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:59 PM

Glad to see you back where you can get support and strength (we hope) through us....

#21 mintyfresh

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:03 PM

I read the last thread but didn't comment. I feel compelled to now. You are doing the right thing, you've come such a long way and it will be worth this last push through the legal steps to get it sorted and done.

Sending strength and love. I am certain you will get through this. Know that there are lots of us here in your corner.

#22 The Little Engine

Posted 24 October 2016 - 01:53 PM

Why is it that I can cope fairly well with everything most of the time - but as soon as xh starts pressuring me either directly or via the kids I fall in a heap and fail at everything? ?? I don't want to play anymore! !!! :( :(

#23 AmazonBabe

Posted 24 October 2016 - 02:09 PM

It took me seven years to get over my abusive marriage.  It took as long as the entire marriage did, to be able to deal with him in any way that didn't involve me feeling overcome, put down, under pressure, walking on eggshells.

What helped, is that I could see that living without him was easier than living with him.

#24 PrincessPeanut

Posted 24 October 2016 - 02:11 PM

I never responded to your previous post and came across it one day in recent topics as I dont usually visit this section...and read it all...i am glad you still posting OP

You are doing amazing, down days are normal and i think will take time before you dont automatically react in the way you mentioned above.

From years of abuse and issues, i think your body has developed an automatic way of responding (anxiety/panic attack type thing) as he is simply a trigger

Through counselling with that as a topic may help "retrain" or change how you subconsciously process anything relate him so you dont automatically react that way, but stay your strong self

again, after years you react in a way you learnt to cope or how he made you feel - dont take those feelings on board or his control, he does it to try wear you down in the hopes of winning and after your history so far HE WILL NOT WIN!

Onwards and upwards, a step at a time, a moment at a time - deep breaths and imagine those feelings when they come on just evaporate from you and is replaced with positive light and energy knowing its not you, its him and he has no power

#25 The Little Engine

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:45 PM

Ooops tried to post a picture of the scene of Jenny praying to turn into a bird and fly away from Forrest Gump - I can't even do that correctly today... ahh well

Edited by The Little Engine, 24 October 2016 - 05:46 PM.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

At 61, Shammi finally became a mum - then came the criticism

A 61-year-old woman has reignited debate around motherhood and when women are deemed "too old" to become mums after giving birth to a daughter seven months ago.

One mum's secret Mother's Day tradition after adopting her sons

Mother's Day is a time to celebrate all mums, and this mother has found a way to celebrate and appreciate her adopted sons' birth mothers each year.

5 things my wife needs to know before we have a third baby

My wife and I are just about to commit to a family of three children.

Is this the exercise of every tired parent's dream?

When you're a sleep-deprived parent, chances are you'll do almost anything for sweet, sweet, slumber. Would you pay for a nap, however?

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

Midwife fined $11,000 after having affair with dad-to-be

A midwife has been censured and ordered to pay $11,400 after admitting to having an affair with a client's husband.

Why should kids have all the sticker fun?

Stickers are a great little reward when kids have done something useful to encourage them to do it again.

Is this the cutest haka you've ever seen?

It is a war dance that people everywhere are familiar with, but this version of the Haka is one of the cutest you will ever see.

Groundbreaking surgery helps triplets born with rare condition

This little trio were world firsts twice in their first 9 weeks of life.

'I'd hate to see this happen to anyone else': mum's plea

Carly and Nathan Long are trying to raise awareness to save other parents going through the anguish they went through.

The smart phone game encouraging women to 'squeeeeze'

It's like Candy Crush for your pelvic floor. Hopefully, it will be just as addictive.

Why setting your alarm for 5.30am every day could be good for you

There's no doubt that Ashley French adores her children.

Watch the most important golf shot of this dad-to-be's life

Remember when parents used to be boring and just say, "It's a boy!" or "It's a girl!" – as regular spoken words coming out of their mouths?

This newborn knows what he wants - and gets it

The astonished parents of a newborn whose 18-day-old bub is already feeding himself, shared a clip of their little one's feat to YouTube - and it's truly incredible viewing.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.