What happens when DS turns 16?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#51 SelceLisbeth

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:54 AM

ok, that happened. DS is now well and truly 16, his attitude proves it. The paperwork was submitted early (apparently it was meant to be sent out in November but just kind of wasnt?!?!) and yet it still hasnt been processed and may not be processed for some months, so I have no end outcome just yet.

I didnt need to provide a TFN, - but when I looked at applying for DS to have a Disability Support Payment (DSP), I know that was required. As it is I am sticking with the Carer Payment (for a person over 16), but again, it wont make any difference as my younger son also qualifies me for that payment and I wont be receiving two lots of it, so its all just a bit of red tape BS.

#52 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:48 PM

TFN are just filling out a form, which I am pretty sure is online.

Dead easy and once done, it's done.

#53 Fresh Start

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:07 PM

View PostLisbethSalander, on 17 May 2017 - 08:54 AM, said:

ok, that happened. DS is now well and truly 16, his attitude proves it. The paperwork was submitted early (apparently it was meant to be sent out in November but just kind of wasnt?!?!) and yet it still hasnt been processed and may not be processed for some months, so I have no end outcome just yet.

I didnt need to provide a TFN, - but when I looked at applying for DS to have a Disability Support Payment (DSP), I know that was required. As it is I am sticking with the Carer Payment (for a person over 16), but again, it wont make any difference as my younger son also qualifies me for that payment and I wont be receiving two lots of it, so its all just a bit of red tape BS.

Would it be worth claiming a DSP for him? If he qualifies it's a lot more than the FTB you'd be getting for him (I don't know if he'd qualify of course).

#54 SelceLisbeth

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:53 AM

Ive gone over the paperwork and he would definitely qualify. I will apply when I can manage to face it all. The applying for a TFN requires an interview at austalia post (never knew that, but that was what google told me). Then of course a lot of reports and he has only just started with a new psych, speechie and OT so I just want a bit more of a solid basis for the reports.

I did have a question though, having downloaded a copy of the application, it mentions only the person not being able to go to school or work, but Ds is in school. I do know kid who are at school full time and receive it. I just dont know how that works with the actual form.

#55 meljbau

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:44 AM

View PostLisbethSalander, on 22 May 2017 - 07:53 AM, said:

The applying for a TFN requires an interview at austalia post (never knew that, but that was what google told me).

School students can apply via their school. It's much easier and no interviews needed. All 3 of mine did it this way for their part time jobs. They just picked up the forms from their school office.

#56 SelceLisbeth

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:06 PM

Thanks. Thats really helpful. :)

#57 Fresh Start

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:00 AM

View PostLisbethSalander, on 22 May 2017 - 07:53 AM, said:

The applying for a TFN requires an interview at austalia post (never knew that, but that was what google told me).

I did have a question though, having downloaded a copy of the application, it mentions only the person not being able to go to school or work, but Ds is in school. I do know kid who are at school full time and receive it. I just dont know how that works with the actual form.

Re the TFN there is a form you can lodge with the DSP claim that Centrelink send off, because you use that form the ATO will provide it to Centrelink as well as you.

It's mentioned here:
https://www.ato.gov....or-individuals/

Re the school thing I think they can be at school - I'm sure there is someone on here whose son is at school and gets DSP.

#58 SelceLisbeth

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:17 AM

Thank you. That is also really helpful. I have found this one really confusing.

#59 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:04 PM

Both of mine were at school and in receipt of DSP.  One also did further study and I know others who are at uni.

#60 SelceLisbeth

Posted 29 May 2017 - 05:59 PM

Spoke to NDIS care co-ordinator today. Will begin DSP application process tomorrow. Wish us luck.

#61 SelceLisbeth

Posted 06 June 2017 - 11:04 AM

So I have the forms. I am filling them in. I should have letters of support/ reports from the paed, OT, psych, NDIS case manager and speechie. Im still struggling with how to word my bits and generally how to word it. Any advice?

Ive broken it down to each dx. ASD, ADHD, GA, PTSD, CVS and the incontinence. Do I need to specifically explain how each affects his ability to support himself?

#62 Displayanome

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:10 PM

Does anyone recall how long it took to process the forms?  So from when you submitted, how long was it until you were contacted?

We just has CA cut off as we went over the number of allowed overnight respite stays. That is fine, but they also cancelled DSs health care card as apparently it is attached to the carers allowance. DS has seven different medications. One we already pay $300 for as it is off label. To fill them all without a HCC could cost us a fortune.

#63 SelceLisbeth

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:35 PM

They usually warn it takes around eight weeks or so. I have had someone process it on the spot and I have had a six week wait.

I would call and hassle. A lot. Because Im sure you have plenty of time in your day for that <lots of sarcasm>

So sorry. I hope it gets done asap.

#64 Displayanome

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:06 PM

Hit redial 1000 times. Finally didn't get engaged signal, instead got the message saying they were now closed :(

#65 meljbau

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:07 PM

View PostDisplayanome, on 19 June 2017 - 04:10 PM, said:

Does anyone recall how long it took to process the forms?  So from when you submitted, how long was it until you were contacted?

We just has CA cut off as we went over the number of allowed overnight respite stays. That is fine, but they also cancelled DSs health care card as apparently it is attached to the carers allowance. DS has seven different medications. One we already pay $300 for as it is off label. To fill them all without a HCC could cost us a fortune.

I realise you may have CA reinstated, but for anyone who has CA cut off for their 16 year old I want them to know that your child is now eligible for the Ex Carer Allowance Health Care Card. It will be issued every 12 months provided he/she is studying and not working full time. You just reapply every 12 months until their 24th birthday. I do the application (as I am a nominee for my son) over the phone. There is no earning limit, so he can work part time.

It seems to be the most misunderstood benefit at Centrelink. So many working there don't even seem to know it exists and they will try to steer you onto the low income HCC, but you have 8 years to use the Ex Carer Allowance Health Care Card so long as you maintain eligibility.

Edited by meljbau, 20 June 2017 - 05:10 PM.

#66 Displayanome

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:29 PM

But if you lose CA before they are 16, there is a gap as the ex carer allowance HCC can only be issued once you are 16.

It just doesn't make any sense that a 15 yo with disability and health conditions is not eligible as they are accessing 'too much' respite (because they have such high support needs).

It just isn't logical.

#67 SelceLisbeth

Posted Yesterday, 07:02 PM

Heading in tomorrow to submit DS's application for DSP. I have two reports. One from the speech and OT as a combined report and one from the paed.

Im sure there will be many hoops to jump through now. Wish us luck.

#68 Mollycoddle

Posted Yesterday, 07:41 PM

LambChop, on 13 October 2016 - 06:01 PM, said:

I have a similar issue, DS does NOT want to acknowledge or discuss his disability with others.  Following on from the whole, turning 16 etc thing - is there such thing as a 'Carers Power of Attorney' type of thing where you can sort things out for the adults you care for without having to drag them everywhere ?

Guardianship? You being a Centrelink nominee won't be sufficient, he will need to give consent for his medical information (treating doctor reports etc) to be released to Centrelink. I'm going through a similar thing with a client I'm supporting at present, she's a young carer for her mother but can't get carer's payments as the nature of her mother's mental illness means mum won't consent to her information being shared. Mum herself has been on the DSP for years so Centrelink already have all the info but it would be way too simple to just go on that, wouldn't it  (actually there are likely privacy laws that prevent it for good reason but still...).

Edited by Mollycoddle, Yesterday, 07:49 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

*Arcadia*

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

How dare anyone accuse a mum of 'milking' a miscarriage

A heartless comment from a stranger shocked the already devastated radio host Em Rusciano.

How breast milk can help relieve your baby's teething pain

Try one mum's simple parenting hack to ease your baby's discomfort.

Top 10 common health myths busted

To help combat the misinformation and spread good health, here are the most common health myths compared to fact.

How to make flying with a toddler more bearable

After almost three years of living in Canada, it was time to pack our bags, bundle up our three children (including our two and a half year old Toddler) and pray to the heavens above, before flying to Aussie Land to see our family and friends.

Breastfeeding may help with caesarean pain, says new study

Breastfeeding after a caesarean section may help manage persistent pain, finds new research on the post-birth experience of new mothers.

Recall notice: fourth cot recalled in less than one month

A recall notice has been issued for yet another cot sold in Australia -the White New Zealand Pine 3-in-1 Baby Sleigh Cot Bed with Drawers.

A baby girl, a baffling disease - and the only way to help her is to hurt her

Every morning, Kevin Federici pulls on a head lamp, sterilises a sewing needle and prepares to prick his baby girl all over her tiny body.

If you make your own baby food you'll love this Instagram account

Tired of making carrot purée? Take a look at this mum's homemade baby food creations.

The unique baby names literally no one is choosing

After a unique baby name for your little one? Here are the monikers no one chose in 2016.

'It's such a boost': mum receives 'thanks for breastfeeding in public' card

It was the boost one mum needed at just the right time.

Sharing makes young children happy - just don't force them

There are many emotional benefits to sharing, but only if it's voluntary.

5 ways to a healthy pregnancy

An easy pregnancy that results in a healthy baby: that's the dream.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.