What happens when DS turns 16?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#26 Fresh Start

Posted 14 October 2016 - 11:08 AM

I would lodge that claim and deal with their stated need to speak to him when that time comes.

I bet there is a way - social worker, MP, doctor's etc can put pressure on.

#27 AMPSyd

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:13 PM

View PostMiSS_E, on 13 October 2016 - 10:37 AM, said:

With the CA they do lose the card but you can apply for one of these ones https://www.humanser...ealth-care-card

Thanks for that. Have saved the link to my favourites.

Thanks OP for opening this thread, It is really helpful. My DS is in year 9 and I'm kind of burying my head in the sand but I know that he'll finish high school before I know it and this stuff has to be sorted.

Actually his school is asking for interested families to register their interest in a Ability Options info session at school for the NDIS rollout. Got this email today.

Edited by AMPSyd, 14 October 2016 - 12:14 PM.

#28 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:18 PM

The NDIS has nothing to do with Centrelink, CA or DSP.  

MissE I was basically told that as well but when it became clear he could not answer the questions, they spoke to me.

#29 Fresh Start

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:02 PM

View PostAMPSyd, on 14 October 2016 - 12:13 PM, said:

Thanks for that. Have saved the link to my favourites.

Thanks OP for opening this thread, It is really helpful. My DS is in year 9 and I'm kind of burying my head in the sand but I know that he'll finish high school before I know it and this stuff has to be sorted.

Actually his school is asking for interested families to register their interest in a Ability Options info session at school for the NDIS rollout. Got this email today.

Depending on his needs you mightn't need to wait till he is finished school. If he might qualify for DSP you can apply from his 16th birthday which may help with some costs?
https://www.humanser...support-pension

#30 MiSS_E

Posted 14 October 2016 - 07:53 PM

I've decided to go ahead and apply for it. First I'm going to get a new cognitive assessment done since the last one is pretty old and I know they'll want recent stuff. Hopefully his old ASD dx papers will do because I'm not getting that done again.

#31 MiSS_E

Posted 14 October 2016 - 07:57 PM

Another question, is it actually him claiming it or me? I'll be the one filling out the forms so should I fill it out like it's him doing it (would he have to sign it? he wouldn't know what he's signing) or do I do it with my info on his behalf? When I claimed for DH I filled it in for him but with his details but he was able to understand what he was signing.

#32 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 14 October 2016 - 07:57 PM

We just had letters from the currentdoctors stating the diagnoses and the effects on daily living.

#33 MiSS_E

Posted 14 October 2016 - 08:05 PM

When we did DH's claim they said the more papers you have from different docs the better and we can get the cog assessment very easily through school so might as well if it'll help. We don't see a paed any more just a GP so I'll get her to write up a letter too. I can get a letter from his ed support unit too which will outline how he needs assistance at school. Hopefully that would be enough.

Edited by MiSS_E, 14 October 2016 - 08:06 PM.

#34 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 14 October 2016 - 08:11 PM

I know people who that was enough for.  My DH got it with one letter from his psychiatrist.

#35 MiSS_E

Posted 14 October 2016 - 08:14 PM

Was that with the new criteria or the older one AO? They tightened it up in July 2015 I think.

#36 MiSS_E

Posted 14 October 2016 - 08:16 PM

Apparently the accepted claim rate has dropped to 15% since the new criteria came in, from a 35% accepted rate the year prior. Yikes.

#37 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 14 October 2016 - 08:16 PM

Oh damn, it was the old criteria, I forgot that bastarding change last year:(

#38 Melly_trish

Posted 14 October 2016 - 08:37 PM

AO - the criteria change came in in 2011. The changes that came in last year was an additional review from an independent doctor.

Miss E - my recommendation is to ensure you have evidence of functional impact within the last 2 years. I would also put a note requesting a file assessment or phone assessment with reasons why, or if you get a face to face appointment call and request that it is done by phone.

I would look carefully at the criteria (including the ratings that they use) which can be viewed via the departments website.

#39 Fresh Start

Posted 14 October 2016 - 08:37 PM

It is his claim so it is filled out in his name and will be paid to him unless he nominates you as his payment nominee.

Lodge the claim ASAP and then you have time to get the medical stuff in and your claim can still start from when you lodge the actual claim form rather than when you lodge the medical papers.

#40 MiSS_E

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:06 PM

Melly_trish - he can't speak on the phone so I'm not sure they'd allow that, they already said they have to interview him not just me.

Thanks Fresh Start but if they're going to cut FTB while the application is in it's probably better to have it all ready to go so I can hassle them out to hurry it through.

#41 Fresh Start

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:10 PM

True

#42 LisbethSalander

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:38 PM

To update on this for anyone else facing similar, I spoke to Centrelink today. It was surprisingly simple. So much so, I have my doubts about how it will all go.

PP's were right in that there is no need to reapply, just a review. I was meant to be sent the paperwork in December, but that didnt happen, so I am having it sent now. I dont need the Dr bit done as apparently they already have enough information for DS to qualify so I just need to fill out my own form bit and it should be all good to go.

I also had a letter from FTO about Family assistance and DS gets put on the Youth Allowance automatically.

I actually feel guilty about how simple this seems as a friend of mine with a profoundly disabled child who is 16, still in nappies, cant feed himself, non verbal etc was just rejected for the DSP and she was rejected for the CP on the basis she didnt have to provide enough care! Even her appeal was rejected! I dont understand.

ANyway in theory it should all go ok, lets hope putting it in practice works that way.

#43 Displayanome

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for this. Does your DS have his own bank account?

#44 LisbethSalander

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:49 PM

No. I will have one created once the youth allowance starts though.

#45 Fresh Start

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:35 PM

View PostLisbethSalander, on 22 February 2017 - 01:38 PM, said:

I also had a letter from FTO about Family assistance and DS gets put on the Youth Allowance automatically.

Perhaps the letter was badly worded because secondary school student should under 18 are not entitled to Youth Allowance unless there are special circumstances (like unable to live at home).

And if he WERE entitled he would have to lodge a claim, there is no automatic transfer. Never has been.

I will find the info online about age eligibility for YA and come back.

Edited to add:
See this link. At the top are ages criteria.
https://www.humanser...youth-allowance

You'll notice for under 18 they must be
- looking for work or other approved activity (secondary school isn't one)
- full time apprentice
- finished year 12
- have to live away from home to study
- meet independence criteria

Edited by Nasty Start, 22 February 2017 - 07:38 PM.

#46 Fresh Start

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:39 PM

And your friend should appeal to the next level, or call the local MP.

#47 LisbethSalander

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:51 PM

Apologies. Reread. It is a continuation of FTB til age 18.

#48 emm2

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:05 PM

If you haven't already, make sure you open a bank account in his name, that he and you both need to sign, because i was told once they turn 16, they don't need a parents signature, which sucks if your child ( i know mine doesn't) does not have the intellectual capacatity to deal with money etc

#49 Displayanome

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:06 PM

Edited by Displayanome, 17 May 2017 - 01:37 AM.

#50 Displayanome

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:36 AM

Bumping

The forms ask for a TFN. Why would a 15 yo need a TFN. Did you have to get one for your kids?

TIA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

How dare anyone accuse a mum of 'milking' a miscarriage

A heartless comment from a stranger shocked the already devastated radio host Em Rusciano.

How breast milk can help relieve your baby's teething pain

Try one mum's simple parenting hack to ease your baby's discomfort.

Top 10 common health myths busted

To help combat the misinformation and spread good health, here are the most common health myths compared to fact.

How to make flying with a toddler more bearable

After almost three years of living in Canada, it was time to pack our bags, bundle up our three children (including our two and a half year old Toddler) and pray to the heavens above, before flying to Aussie Land to see our family and friends.

Breastfeeding may help with caesarean pain, says new study

Breastfeeding after a caesarean section may help manage persistent pain, finds new research on the post-birth experience of new mothers.

Recall notice: fourth cot recalled in less than one month

A recall notice has been issued for yet another cot sold in Australia -the White New Zealand Pine 3-in-1 Baby Sleigh Cot Bed with Drawers.

A baby girl, a baffling disease - and the only way to help her is to hurt her

Every morning, Kevin Federici pulls on a head lamp, sterilises a sewing needle and prepares to prick his baby girl all over her tiny body.

If you make your own baby food you'll love this Instagram account

Tired of making carrot purée? Take a look at this mum's homemade baby food creations.

The unique baby names literally no one is choosing

After a unique baby name for your little one? Here are the monikers no one chose in 2016.

'It's such a boost': mum receives 'thanks for breastfeeding in public' card

It was the boost one mum needed at just the right time.

Sharing makes young children happy - just don't force them

There are many emotional benefits to sharing, but only if it's voluntary.

5 ways to a healthy pregnancy

An easy pregnancy that results in a healthy baby: that's the dream.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.