Jump to content

What happens when DS turns 16?

  • Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 SelceLisbeth

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:26 PM

This sounds terribly crass but its a reality I need to be practical about.

I am on a Carers Payment (and the included Carers Allowance) based on an application asserting that the level of care of my boys COMBINED equals the the high care needs of a carer needing to be on a support payment as the care load is to high.

In March DS15 will be 16. I am unsure what happens next payment wise.

How will it all work?

#2 laridae

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:29 PM

He'll need to be reassessed under the adult criteria. I'd get onto Centrelink now as otherwise it may just stop.

#3 LambChop

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:32 PM

Not at all crass, financially responsible to be planning in advance.

I would contact Centrelink and start the ball rolling with connecting him in with the next step of disability services :)

#4 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:36 PM

He will be reassessed for carer allowance.

The carer payment might also be reassessed but at 16 his care needs could well be enough to qualify you as his carer without needing to add the boys together.  It's still possible to add the care needs together though.  Or it was when I started the process years ago.

#5 SelceLisbeth

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:57 PM

Thank you.

Previously I know you could start the ball rolling well in advance, but these days you cant and need to wait until Centrelink deems it close enough to put you at risk of a stroke while trying to get all the paperwork done in time.

A bit frightened of it all.

Where does Youth Allowance come into it? Or doesnt it? And does that mean he goes on to a DSP? I dont get it. I used to be so much more on the ball than this.

#6 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:04 PM

You will have the choice between YA and DSP.  I would try very hard for DSP as the changing climate of work demands doesn't always mesh well with our guys as they are finding their way.

#7 SelceLisbeth

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:24 PM

Thank you. I'll keep that in mind.

#8 MiSS_E

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:54 PM

I got a form sent out just before his 16th bday, took it to the doc who filled it out and sent it back. Not long after (by centrelink standards) I received a letter saying he qualified for continued carer payment. Was surprisingly simple.

#9 MiSS_E

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:55 PM

I was told it's not worth claiming YA as the loss of FTB is higher than the YA payment. Not sure how accurate that is now though, that's what centrelink told me on the phone.

#10 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:34 PM

DSP is higher and with the increases at 18 and 21 are much higher than YA or newstart.  I think I was a bit flippant earlier in the thread.

#11 Fresh Start

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:47 PM

He will not be eligible for YA at 16yo and in secondary school. It changed a few years ago so that if they are under 18yo they must be finished secondary school OR independent or living away from home.
(Bottom of the first column on page 23 here:

If however he qualifies for DSP that is a significantly higher than max FTBA. It is approx $360pf v. $237pf for max FTBA for him.

There is one sticking point though. As soon as a claim for DSP is lodged your FTBA for him will stop to avoid you getting a debt. Then of course it can take months (as evidenced by posts in this forum) for his DSP claim to be finalised. If granted he gets a back payment of the DSP to claim date (when your FTBA stopped for him). If not granted you can call and get the FTBA restored for him from the date it was cancelled and get a back payment of that.

Neither of these things help you while you wait for the DSP claim to be assessed and live on $237 less than usual.

If he lodges a DSP claim call constantly about financial hardship and also get onto your local MP if it isn't done within 21 days of you lodging all required documents.

#12 AMPSyd

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:14 AM

Can I also ask - as DS is also 15 and I'm on the carers allowance.

Does that continue after his 16th birthday 16 or is it something we need to apply for again?

Funnily enough, I got a health care card just this week with an expiry date after his 16th birthday.

#13 SelceLisbeth

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:35 AM

Thank you for the advice. Im quite anxious about it. I will have lots of supporting evidence though thankfully after a solid block of therapies and him needing lots of attention from the GP, psych and paed. There is always a fear at the back of my mind that it will turn into a huge problem. Nothing with CL ever seems to be very straight forward.

#14 Fresh Start

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:22 AM

View PostAMPSyd, on 13 October 2016 - 06:14 AM, said:

Can I also ask - as DS is also 15 and I'm on the carers allowance.

Does that continue after his 16th birthday 16 or is it something we need to apply for again?

Funnily enough, I got a health care card just this week with an expiry date after his 16th birthday.

You will get a review form before his birthday. I'm pretty sure Carers Allowance for 16 and over doesn't attract a HCC so despite the expiry date it will cancel on his birthday. (I could be wrong).

#15 MiSS_E

Posted 13 October 2016 - 10:37 AM

I can't claim the DSP because they won't let me discuss DS' issues without him present, and that would be too stressful for him.

With the CA they do lose the card but you can apply for one of these ones https://www.humanser...ealth-care-card

#16 LambChop

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:01 PM


I can't claim the DSP because they won't let me discuss DS' issues without him present, and that would be too stressful for him.

I have a similar issue, DS does NOT want to acknowledge or discuss his disability with others.  Following on from the whole, turning 16 etc thing - is there such thing as a 'Carers Power of Attorney' type of thing where you can sort things out for the adults you care for without having to drag them everywhere ?

#17 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:16 PM

I'd talk to a social worker to see what can be organised about the interview.  I know someone who managed to do the interview without the person present for the humiliating bits.  The person just had to present and answer what questions they could.

Lambchop, I have financial guardianship for one of mine which means I can do anything that is needed.  Centrelink will allow you to be a nominee on the centrelink stuff--some people appear to think that this gives some legal status with organisations like the NDIS but it really doesn't.  I made an application to QCAT prior to his 18th birthday.  I've seen people argue it's not necessary but it has made stuff easier for me to organise.  Plus I don't think that simply because he has II that means I have the right to do whatever on his behalf without being answerable.

#18 Fresh Start

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:46 PM

View PostMiSS_E, on 13 October 2016 - 10:37 AM, said:

I can't claim the DSP because they won't let me discuss DS' issues without him present, and that would be too stressful for him.

If you had his power of attorney you could do just about anything with them. If they insisted he be present for medical parts then I would get his medical specialist to outline in a report why that would be detrimental to his health and wellbeing and ask for a social worker appointment. A social work we should be able to advocate for you.

#19 LambChop

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:08 PM

LS thanks for raising this topic, it's been really useful for me too!

#20 SelceLisbeth

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:14 PM

OMG, who knew I could be useful?! or at least bring up a topic so other people could! lol

#21 LambChop

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:16 PM

With our kids getting older, it's been on my mind too, like, what happens next kind of thing.  How does he support himself etc.  I was wondering when and how to engage with Centrelink on his behalf.  Think I'll try to keep him at school as long as possible :)

#22 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:33 PM

They can go on DSP when they turn 16.  Whether or not they are at school isn't an issue.

It's quite a bit more money.  I like money.

#23 MiSS_E

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:03 PM

OK thanks I will engage with a social worker and see what we can do. If they ask my DS what his diagnoses are they will get, at best, a "dunno". At worst...possible weeks of high anxiety including school refusal and self harm etc all the fun stuff.

#24 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:38 PM

My guys didn't have to talk.  I did all the talking.  I did prep them it was going to be brutal and one of them who tries to 'pass' I told to just be himself and rock and stim to his hearts content to get through it.

#25 MiSS_E

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:52 AM

Mmmm when I called them to ask about it I was told they would definitely have to interview DS and speak to him about his limitations etc and that they couldn't just take my word for him. Perhaps the social worker would be allowed to speak for him though which is kind of stupid because they can only go by what I'd say anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users


'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

This mum has donated over 2,000 litres of breast milk

The mother-of-two was diagnosed with hyper-lactation.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Call to teach kids about breastfeeding at school

The aim is to increase breastfeeding rates and reduce stigma.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

'Working for nothing': Childcare crisis pushes Sydney parents to the brink

Most parents are experiencing substantial difficulties with the financial burden and lack of availability of childcare, as costs have more than doubled for some families in just over a decade.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Paying $2.50 for a babycino? This is why...

Aren't babycinos just a bit of froth? Not so, it seems...

I'm a stay-at-home mum who's an awful housewife

"Hey, come here a second," my mum said as she replaced the book in my hands with a wooden spoon covered in what I prayed was red sauce. Together, we walked into the kitchen and hovered over the skillet like we were peering into a crystal ball. Looking into my future, I saw me eating a lot of take away.


Top 5 Articles


From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.


Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.