Wearing black to a wedding

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#1 Esme81

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:17 PM

Hi everyone!

I have a wedding this weekend and have a nice black dress I can wear but worry about etiquette for wearing black to weddings. Semi formal/cocktail theme. Thoughts? TIA :)

Edited by Esme81, 20 September 2016 - 02:58 PM.

#2 José

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:19 PM

I personally wouldnt but many do.

#3 mfpea

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:25 PM

I have worn black more than once, I have seen people wearing black all the time at wedding. I think it is perfectly acceptable to wear black these days.

#4 EMM1979

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:25 PM

I would if it's a cocktail dress code.

#5 glassslipper

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:27 PM

Black is fine! Perhaps try to wear colourful shoes/handbag/jewelry if you can

#6 CallMeFeral

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:31 PM

Oops. I never even knew this was a Thing. I wore black to one of my best friends weddings.
What do guys wear if not black?

#7 Soontobegran

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:32 PM

I wore black as a mother of the bride :huh:

I think the black for funerals and colours for weddings is a thought process that died out years ago.

#8 Esme81

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:32 PM

View PostCallMeFeral, on 20 September 2016 - 02:31 PM, said:

Oops. I never even knew this was a Thing. I wore black to one of my best friends weddings.
What do guys wear if not black?

Not black I guess :) I often wear something colourful especially as its spring now. Think I'll go with the black and add in some colourful shoes and earrings to soften it a bit :)

#9 KnightsofNi

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:40 PM

I don't mind at all if people wear black to my wedding. I might mind if you wear white though....

Edited by KnightsofNi, 20 September 2016 - 02:53 PM.

#10 Nasty Jerk

I wore black to my own wedding

#11 Esme81

View PostKnightsofNi, on 20 September 2016 - 02:40 PM, said:

I don't mind at all if people wear black to my minding. I might mind if you wear white though....

Haha! Fair enough :)

#12 ~sydblue~

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:41 PM

Black is fine unless stated otherwise.

#13 Guest_canadianmum_*

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:46 PM

My best frock is black, I wear it to every event. :)

#14 Phoebo

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:53 PM

I really don't think anyone would care.

#15 EsmeLennox

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:55 PM

Black's fine. I've worn black to quite a few weddings, my bridesmaid's wore black...people need to move on from 'black shouldn't be worn to weddings'.

#16 Moo point

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:02 PM

My bridesmaid's wore black dresses, and I borrowed one of them to wear to BIL's wedding 2 years later! I also wore a stretchy black dress to a friend's wedding when I was 4 months' pregnant, and a black dress with a dark coloured bodice to another wedding.

I think it's fine :)

#17 HRH Countrymel

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:05 PM

I've worn black to pretty much every wedding I've ever attended.

Usually with some kind of colour in accessories or jewellery or small birds entangled in my fuzzy hair.

No issue with black to a wedding as long as you don't combine it with loud wailing, sobbing and cries of "It should have been meeeeeeee!"

#18 Esme81

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:09 PM

View PostHRH Countrymel, on 20 September 2016 - 03:05 PM, said:

I've worn black to pretty much every wedding I've ever attended.

Usually with some kind of colour in accessories or jewellery or small birds entangled in my fuzzy hair.

No issue with black to a wedding as long as you don't combine it with loud wailing, sobbing and cries of "It should have been meeeeeeee!"

LOL! I'll try to restrain myself!

#19 HRH Countrymel

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:11 PM

My Mum wore a leopard print dressing gown to a wedding once!

She was 8 months pregnant and couldn't find anything to wear, after she'd tried on all the outfits she'd brought home on 'apro' she gave up and put on the dressing gown she had also bought on that shopping trip, to sit down put her feet up and feel miserable.

She looked AMAZING!

Everyone assumed it was a designer 'coat dress'..  just goes to show that good hair, great shoes and a confident smile is what it is all about!

#20 Mollycoddle

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:11 PM

I would.  I only have one good going-out outfit which is black, I think it's the best colour for all-purpose occasions.

#21 Abernathy

Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:54 PM

I always wear black and would certainly wear it to a wedding. Would hesitate to wear white.

#22 MadnessCraves

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:03 PM

A friend of mine put on the invite for her wedding, no black or red to be worn. No black because in her opinion it was a wedding not a funeral and no red so no one mistakes you for a bridesmaid.

I tell you what, it was the hardest to shop for a size 16plus that wasn't black or red. apparently colour choices are limited for us fat people! :rant:

Personally, I think wear what you want. Least you're coming to celebrate their day.

#23 ABabyPlease

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:40 PM

I once went to a formal wedding wearing black. I just asked the bride in advance if she minded. She didn't mind and I felt better having asked.

That was about 20 years ago, I don't think that I would worry now, but it is an option if you are concerned.

#24 TheGreenSheep

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:08 PM

I went shopping with the bride for a dress to wear to her wedding. It was black. I have worn black numerous times. I have been to funerals and not worn black.

#25 eyes_wide_open

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:15 PM

My bridesmaids wore black. I don't think it matters much these days unless they specify a dress code or requirement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win a Springfree Trampoline!

Click now for your chance to WIN a Springfree Trampoline (R54 Compact Round) plus Australia-wide delivery ? valued up to $1774!

Midwife's hand inside birth canal for 90 minutes saves baby's life

Baby Emelia's arrival into the world wasn't exactly smooth sailing.

Melbourne - get your FREE tickets!

Register now for your free ticket (valued at $20) for the Melbourne Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores.

It's really hard work, baby, but still worth it

You are over it and you want to know, is this all worth it?

Vitamin K injections: what you need to know

Why do babies need vitamin K after birth? Here's what you need to know.

Mum's emotional letter on last day of maternity leave

A heartfelt letter from a mum to her nine-week-old son has a struck a chord with working mothers everywhere.

What I learnt after having six miscarriages

Experiencing recurrent miscarriage is like entering an endless dark tunnel. Once you enter that tunnel it is a fight from start to finish

Recall issued for popular brand of baby biscuits

You will want to check your cupboard and give these the flick, after a recall was issued this week.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

See Pinky McKay live - for FREE

Pinky will be speaking daily at the Essential Baby & Toddler Show, Melbourne, 28-30 April. Free tickets now!

Last chance for free tickets

See Pinky McKay live - for FREE

Pinky will be speaking daily at the Essential Baby & Toddler Show, Melbourne, 28-30 April. Free tickets now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.