Pregnant or Parenting after IVF with PGD

• Please log in to reply
685 replies to this topic

#1 Wonderstruck

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:10 AM

Hi all.

This is a thread for the lovely ladies who have graduated from the IVF with PGD buddy group to discuss pregnancy and parenting after IVF with PGD.

The List

* McBubba (Melissa)  IVF with PGD to rule out Huntington's Disease (1 stim - 5 unaffected frosties, FET#1 BFN, FET#2 BFP) - EDD 26 Feb 2016.

Edited by McBubba2016, 11 August 2016 - 11:26 AM.

#2 Shiv7897

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:17 PM

Good luck ladies with your pregnancies! :)

#3 Wonderstruck

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:27 PM

Hope to see you here soon Shiv!

#4 Shiv7897

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:54 PM

I hope so too!!

#5 MeerkatManor

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:59 PM

Anxiously awaiting the first scan... hope I can join you soon McBubba!

#6 Wonderstruck

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:20 PM

That wait is hardest wait, I think almost worse than 2ww.

The wait till 12w scan is longer!!!

#7 MeerkatManor

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:29 PM

Mcbubba did you have any scheduled blood tests between the first beta and the first scan (Not counting the visits for the spotting)? You're right, this wait is hard!

#8 Wonderstruck

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:38 PM

None. As beta was over 100 (483) they didn't run anything else. I only had thyroid tests per my endos advice.

The wait sucks. I otherwise only had a beta when I had bleeding at 7+1 and they said it doesn't mean much once you get close to the scan.

Basically the weeks between the 7w scan and 12w scan drag!

Hang in there, its tough but worth it to see the flicker, especially after all the monitoring of IVF.

When's the scan.

#9 MeerkatManor

Posted 12 August 2016 - 10:20 PM

They said they would email me with the plan for the next few weeks. But haven't yet! Willing the days to go faster… I guess scanning too early and potentially not detecting a heartbeat because of that would be needlessly devastating.

#10 MeerkatManor

Posted 12 August 2016 - 10:26 PM

Good luck with your 12 week scan coming up! Well for us it would be more a developmental scan than a trisomy scan. A small silver lining for going through PGD.

Unless something looks very wrong we're not planning to do an amino. Is that your plan too?

#11 Wonderstruck

Posted 13 August 2016 - 06:42 AM

They scanned me at what was 6+6 based on LMP but the OB and scan adjusted that to 7+1 based on transfer date and scan result.

Generally they like to do it at/after 7 weeks so you can def see the HB.

My OB said I didn't need NIPT or NT really but as I need a proper scan at 12 weeks anyway to check for other things so might as well do the NT.

I'm less nervous about NT given bubs was ok on Wed and given low risk is likely given PGD and age.

Yeah, wouldn't risk an amnio unless O really needed to.

How far along are you? 4 and a bit weeks?

#12 MeerkatManor

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:16 AM

4w5d going be online IVF due date calculatior, based on transfer date of the blast. But who's counting?

Macabre as it is I was looking up how various scan findings and dates reached affect the statistical chance of miscarriage. With a good heartbeat after 9-10w you're in the clear! 😃

#13 Wonderstruck

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:34 AM

Oh I kept reading all that stuff. I was most worried about mmc after seeing hb. Feeling better after seeing bub at 11+3.

Hang in there you're part of the way through the first week!

#14 Smoo

Posted 13 August 2016 - 01:56 PM

Hi ladies

I got my amnio results back - a clear everything is ok, baby hasn't inherited the translocation as a carrier etc. The testing was supposed to take 14 days and the results seriously came back at the close of business on the 14th day... we were seriously losing it

we didn't bother with the 12week scan, it's great to see the baby but when you know you have to amnio not a lot of point.

there is so much waiting even after pgd, i'm still continuously checking the odds at 18 weeks. at least after the next appointment they'll be every 2 weeks so i'll get more reassurance

#15 Wonderstruck

Posted 13 August 2016 - 04:44 PM

So glad everything on the amnio came back ok. Hopefully, you can relax a little more over the coming weeks.

How are you feeling?

We went to a first birthday today. Felt the best I have in weeks, a little more energy and less nauseous, hopefully its a sign of things to come!

Told remaining friends there today about bub. Will be 12 weeks tomorrow and excited about having some nice photos of bub Monday, then I plan to start spreading the news more.

Edited by McBubba2016, 13 August 2016 - 04:52 PM.

#16 MeerkatManor

Posted 14 August 2016 - 06:55 AM

Smooth - wonderful news. Congratulations! At 18 weeks with a clear amnio I think you can relax now!  If we had been able to fall pregnant naturally I would have gone straight to amniocentesis too. My second child (natural pregnancy) was high risk on NT scan. The 6 weeks between the NT scan and the amnio results were horrible. This time we've decided since we had the PGS we're only having amnio if the NT scan shows abnormalities.

Mcbubba - I remembered being able to purchase the DVD of the entire NT scan. Make sure you do that so you can take screen shots to your hearts content for your announcement post!  So excited for you. Just one day to go!

#17 Wonderstruck

Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:22 AM

My OB referred me to an eye-wateringly expensive scan place. I went there for a scan before IVF and was really happy with the service so happy to go back and pay the price lol!

I rang them on Friday and they said to ask the synographer at the beginning and they'll do photos and a video on a USB, its included in the price.

I'll likely go there for the 19w scan too so I won't be doing any fancy scans for photos separately as this place does the works 3d/4d etc.

What is next steps for you Smoo now you have the all clear? Must be so good!

Edited by McBubba2016, 14 August 2016 - 07:23 AM.

#18 MeerkatManor

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:23 AM

McBubba I'd definitely have the high level ultrasound at 18 weeks.  They can even look at the number and shape of the valves in the aorta and how smoothly the valves move.  The sonographer (mine was done by an obstetrician with extra training in ultrasound) gets the information she needs and moves on to the next area, never dwelling on the same area for more than a few minutes.

The concern with 4D scans is that they look at the head for a long time.

https://health.cleve...ke-ultrasounds/
(Quite a few articles came out around the same time; you can google deja-news)

I've heard people saying "the sonographer was really great, spending a whole hour with us so we'd get good head shot and catch baby smiling..." Thinking about the ultrasound hitting the baby's head for an hour just makes me uneasy... IMO It's better to avoid it even if there's only a minute chance of the long duration ultrasound causing brain cavitation.  Save the money to buy a good camera when bubs is born?  

Good luck tomorrow!! Would love to see a photo of you bub :)

#19 Green lady

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:03 AM

Hi girls - I am having the NIPT test on Tuesday this week ( will be 10 weeks 3 days). I'm expecting it to be good, having done PGD but of course want to do it anyway.

Smoo - I'm thinking of doing an amnio anyway despite having PGD and despite what the NIPT results are. I can't remember why you had the amnio? It's a hard decision as I don't want l take an unnecessary risk. I have had a cvs and an amnio in the past. I guess it's the small margin for error on the PGD and also things that the PGD testing doesn't find which an amnio can find, for example it can detect if two copies of a chromosome have come from one parent ( not good) instead of one copy from each ). I guess at my age I'm concerned that may be the only reason I finally got one embryo that had the normal number of chromosomes. The worry never ends!

#20 Wonderstruck

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:16 AM

Oh I didn't mean not having the morphology scan I meant private ones just for pictures since the place I'm having my diagnostic scans does that anyway.

I will try an upload a photo.

GreenLady good luck with the NIPT - the results are pretty quick these days.

Maybe assess amnio after NIPT. What does your OB think?

#21 Green lady

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:22 AM

My OB thinks make the decision after the NIPT results and after the NT scan which is in about 2 weeks.

#22 Smoo

Posted 14 August 2016 - 12:22 PM

we'll be doing the morphology scan at 20 weeks. A very small chance that it will pick up something else

we were looking at the NIPT anyway but OB was pretty much on the lines of if we were going to do the amnio which we needed to it was a waste of money - and he highly recommended the amnio

Green lady - we somehow conceived this one naturally hence the amnio was fairly much a given... I was expecting another mc. On the bright side we got to find out that bubs isn't a carrier of the translocation which depending how we screened with PGD we might not have found out. If it makes you feel any better about it the 1:200 mc rate is an average, you can ask clinics what their's is. I was pretty happy with ours all things considered - placenta was in the worst spot, baby was NOT co-operating and he still got it in one shot

#23 Wonderstruck

Posted 14 August 2016 - 12:31 PM

It was such a fantastic result Smoo. Feels like it was meant to be!

So nice to have this group and there's a few more ladiew likely to pop over in the coming weeks from the PGD group!

#24 Green lady

Posted 14 August 2016 - 12:42 PM

Thanks Smoo - yes the miscarriage rate from amnio is operator dependant and I have read on the Royal Australian college of OB and G publications that the risk rate for miscarriage after amnio is thought to be more like 1:900 for experienced practitioners.

Your experience is the same as my sister. She had a balanced translocation and just went straight to amnio didn't worry about any tests sooner. Baby was fine but also has the same balanced translocation as her which is good to know for him, when he considers having children when he's older. That's great that your baby isn't a carrier of the same translocation.

#25 MeerkatManor

Posted 14 August 2016 - 01:25 PM

Green Lady - Yes the 1:300 is an old figure, probably from when you only saw shadowy blobs by ultrasound. My brother was a girl on ultrasound right up to the last scan! Now I think if the operator is experienced the risk is minimal. You have to be pretty safe though having already had PGD.

Smooth - that's so amazingly lucky! It's meant to be!

Mcbubba - I knew you're of course not skipping the morphology scan 😃. I was recommended by my ob and a friend who's a radiologist to ONLY get the morphology scan and not have any "recreational" scans, especially 4D. So thoughtt I'd mention it :)

AFM - counting down the days till the first ultrasound, which I still don't have a date for! Irrationally petrified that I won't make it that far 😭

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win a Springfree Trampoline!

Click now for your chance to WIN a Springfree Trampoline (R54 Compact Round) plus Australia-wide delivery ? valued up to $1774!

Midwife's hand inside birth canal for 90 minutes saves baby's life

Baby Emelia's arrival into the world wasn't exactly smooth sailing.

Melbourne - get your FREE tickets!

Register now for your free ticket (valued at $20) for the Melbourne Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores.

It's really hard work, baby, but still worth it

You are over it and you want to know, is this all worth it?

Vitamin K injections: what you need to know

Why do babies need vitamin K after birth? Here's what you need to know.

Mum's emotional letter on last day of maternity leave

A heartfelt letter from a mum to her nine-week-old son has a struck a chord with working mothers everywhere.

What I learnt after having six miscarriages

Experiencing recurrent miscarriage is like entering an endless dark tunnel. Once you enter that tunnel it is a fight from start to finish

Recall issued for popular brand of baby biscuits

You will want to check your cupboard and give these the flick, after a recall was issued this week.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

See Pinky McKay live - for FREE

Pinky will be speaking daily at the Essential Baby & Toddler Show, Melbourne, 28-30 April. Free tickets now!

Last chance for free tickets

See Pinky McKay live - for FREE

Pinky will be speaking daily at the Essential Baby & Toddler Show, Melbourne, 28-30 April. Free tickets now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.