Sewing Bar #2

446 replies to this topic

#51 blackcat20

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:15 PM

View Posteponee, on 16 July 2016 - 10:55 AM, said:

Who is the EB'er that makes quilts and is having a quilt featured in 'Love Patchwork and Quilting' magazine later this year?

View PostGlitterFarts, on 16 July 2016 - 11:21 PM, said:

Blackcat20 Posted Image

Eeek that would be me. Issue 40 apparenly. So two months from now?

Just had one published last month in Quilts from Precut Fabrics called Star Fall is anyone wants to take a look.

#52 DirtyStreetPie

Posted 21 July 2016 - 03:52 PM

View Postgreenthumbs, on 20 July 2016 - 01:41 PM, said:

I haven't used clear elastic yet either. I bought some a while ago to try and now I'm nervous.  But I like purplekitty's suggestion of a new needle. Are you using a zig zag stitch?

I'm now using a new ball point needle (I think I was using a 'universal' one before), and I'm using a zig-zag stitch.

So I've been experimenting with the clear elastic:

- On woven fabric, I got an okay result, but only when I pulled the front and the back of the elastic while sewing.

- On knit fabric (which is what the tank top is made of), it was a lot harder, but I managed to get there, again by pulling both the front and the back of the elastic. I've been refraining from pulling the knit fabric, because Tilly and the Buttons said so! This is actually my first ever knit fabric...

Keeping the stitches straight is hard, because both of my hands are stretching the elastic, so I can't guide the fabric. And back-tacking is hard because I don't have a free hand to pull that lever down hehe.

I will push on and try it for real now. I'm learning things, which is cool. And I'm going to a baby shower this weekend, where I will finally give the taggie toy and bib (which I made a while ago) to the mother-to-be. :)

#53 blackcat20

Posted 21 July 2016 - 06:52 PM

Not sure if this link will work. This is my Star Fall quilt from Quilts from Precut Fabrics. The light isnt great; the background is white and the prints are Canyon by Kate Spain.

#54 DirtyStreetPie

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:58 PM

View Postblackcat20, on 21 July 2016 - 06:52 PM, said:

Not sure if this link will work. This is my Star Fall quilt from Quilts from Precut Fabrics. The light isnt great; the background is white and the prints are Canyon by Kate Spain.

It's really beautiful. :)

#55 blackcat20

Posted 26 July 2016 - 09:05 AM

View PostDirtyStreetPie, on 21 July 2016 - 07:58 PM, said:

It's really beautiful. :)

Thank you.

#56 HolyDaffodil

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:10 AM

It is gorgeous BlackCat.

I have so many WIP I need to just sit down and power through them. I might cook DH's favourite dessert tonight to butter him up to suggest taking the three monsters out for the weekend...

#57 blackcat20

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:11 AM

View PostHolyDaffodil, on 27 July 2016 - 09:10 AM, said:

It is gorgeous BlackCat.

I have so many WIP I need to just sit down and power through them. I might cook DH's favourite dessert tonight to butter him up to suggest taking the three monsters out for the weekend...

Sounds like a plan!

I had to pop down to my mums house to lay out my latest quilt on the floor; not enough space in our house, and with one helpful puppy it would have been a disaster. Planning to get this one professionally quilted as a treat for my publication, plus its huge and I just dont have the energy to do it.

#58 HolyDaffodil

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:18 AM

I am so lazy, anything bigger than cot size gets sent to the pros. I really need to finish everything up so I can start on DD1's book week outfit and all of the quilts for niece and nephews Christmas presents.

#59 blackcat20

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:41 AM

View PostHolyDaffodil, on 27 July 2016 - 09:18 AM, said:

I am so lazy, anything bigger than cot size gets sent to the pros. I really need to finish everything up so I can start on DD1's book week outfit and all of the quilts for niece and nephews Christmas presents.

I've never been able to justify the cost when Im perfectly capable myself, so this is a bit of a splurge for me.

#60 Schmig

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:37 PM

Hi All
I have been sewing a lot but I wasn't sure you were still posting in here.
Love the quilts! My gosh I wish I had the patience. I have only ever made one quilt. A very basic one.

I have been making some work clothes and skater dresses, leggings and some basics for my girls. Mostly in a bit of a knits phase at the moment. I just got a pile of beautiful euro knit but I haven't gotten around to printing and taping the patterns together yet. Hate that part. If anyone is interested I can take some pictures of what I made.

Dirty streetpie how did you go with that dress and the elastic in the end. It is a bit of a pain. I find it works best if I use a walking foot at the same time and some wooly nylon in the bobbin (and a stretch stitch and needle) but I admit where possible I prefer just normal elastic.

Hope you are all well.

#61 DragonsGrace

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:35 PM

Ok, my best customer has asked me to make her a skirt for Comic-con. We've decided on a tulle tutu with a cotton overlay top on an elastic waistband. I've never sewn tulle before and, while Pinterest is great for tutes, I was wondering if anyone had any tips or warnings for me before I start cutting up the 11metres of net. Also, do you need to finish the edges or is it fine as a raw edge?

#62 greenthumbs

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:24 PM

For the wearer, it could be itchy and uncomfortable. I would suggest they wear a slip or you fit a lining in.

My mum made me one back when they were fashionable in the 80's. She finished the edges with ribbon, but that was more a fashion thing, I don't think it will unravel. Is it the stiff netting or the soft one?

#63 DragonsGrace

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:58 AM

Fairly stiff. I think she'll be wearing leggings under it. Even if she's not, she'll only be wearing it once and for a few hours so I think she can handle itchy lol.

#64 DirtyStreetPie

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:25 PM

View PostSchmig, on 02 August 2016 - 09:37 PM, said:

Dirty streetpie how did you go with that dress and the elastic in the end. It is a bit of a pain. I find it works best if I use a walking foot at the same time and some wooly nylon in the bobbin (and a stretch stitch and needle) but I admit where possible I prefer just normal elastic.

Thanks for the suggestion. I might invest in a walking foot - I had no idea what they're used for until you mentioned it!

I did end up getting the elastic done, very slowly, with a ball point needle. I'll go pick up some stretch needles for next time.

As for the dress itself, my pace has been GLACIAL. I had to do some gathering stitches, which I've never done before, and I made a mistake, so I had to re-do it hehehe. I used up my son's whole nap ripping seams.

I'm almost done, just have to join the skirt to the top - but that will take time, because I'm so slow at fitting and pinning with these gathers!

But I've learned new things, which is awesome. And once I'm done, I'll start the Craftsy courses I recently enrolled in. Yay!

View PostSchmig, on 02 August 2016 - 09:37 PM, said:

I have been making some work clothes and skater dresses, leggings and some basics for my girls. Mostly in a bit of a knits phase at the moment. I just got a pile of beautiful euro knit but I haven't gotten around to printing and taping the patterns together yet. Hate that part. If anyone is interested I can take some pictures of what I made.

Yes please! I would love to see photos. :)

#65 DirtyStreetPie

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:08 PM

Here's the tank dress. I must've averaged a stitch a week! With the clear elastic and the gathering stitches and the mistakes, I almost gave up, but it's finally done. It's no masterpiece, but I'm proud of myself and I've learned a lot. The gathers are a bit funny, but it's still very wearable.

Time for a new project. I'm addicted! :)

Attached File  2016-08-13 20.06.46.jpg   1.01MB   78 downloads

#66 blackcat20

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:12 PM

Ive finally started assembling a quilt top I've been working on all year. Going to pay to get it quilted as a reward for my published patterns; just don't have the time or energy to do it myself.

#67 greenthumbs

Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:37 AM

Great job on the tank dress! Just getting something finished feels so great doesn't it?!

blackcat20 - that must feel so incredible! I keep buying quilting fabric but other than a mug rug, still haven't actually made anything. Although, my craft cupboard looks very pretty with all those FQ's stacked up.

I'm off to spotlight with my xmas voucher from last year to get some basics - white and grey and maybe some batting so I can actually get something done whenever I have time. At the moment I have miles of lovely patterned fabric, but no background.

dirtystreetpie - I've used my walking foot only a few times, but it was a bit of a revelation with stretch fabrics! Just hemming something was a billion times easier and a much nicer finish, but be prepared to mortgage the house for one! I think mine was about $70 or so.

#68 DirtyStreetPie

Posted 17 August 2016 - 11:22 PM

View Postgreenthumbs, on 14 August 2016 - 07:37 AM, said:

Great job on the tank dress! Just getting something finished feels so great doesn't it?!

blackcat20 - that must feel so incredible! I keep buying quilting fabric but other than a mug rug, still haven't actually made anything. Although, my craft cupboard looks very pretty with all those FQ's stacked up.

I'm off to spotlight with my xmas voucher from last year to get some basics - white and grey and maybe some batting so I can actually get something done whenever I have time. At the moment I have miles of lovely patterned fabric, but no background.

dirtystreetpie - I've used my walking foot only a few times, but it was a bit of a revelation with stretch fabrics! Just hemming something was a billion times easier and a much nicer finish, but be prepared to mortgage the house for one! I think mine was about $70 or so.

Thank you! It does feel amazing, looking at the finished product hanging on my clothes rack.

I did look at buying the walking foot, but you're right, the price made my eyes water; it's a significant percentage of what I paid for the sewing machine itself!

Anyway, I've started a Craftsy course called "Learn to Sew Simple Bags". And today I received McCall M6465 in the mail - it came free with another Craftsy course I'm going to do. I'll turn this pattern into a Punjabi suit, for those occasions when I can't get out of going to the temple... I'm a lapsed Sikh hehe.

I would love to see some of your projects, everyone! Including the Comic-Con skirt, DragonsGrace. And the work outfits, Schmig. :)

#69 GlitterFarts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:27 PM

View PostDirtyStreetPie, on 13 August 2016 - 08:08 PM, said:

Here's the tank dress. I must've averaged a stitch a week! With the clear elastic and the gathering stitches and the mistakes, I almost gave up, but it's finally done. It's no masterpiece, but I'm proud of myself and I've learned a lot. The gathers are a bit funny, but it's still very wearable.

Time for a new project. I'm addicted! :)

Attachment 2016-08-13 20.06.46.jpg

It looks great!

#70 DragonsGrace

Posted 18 August 2016 - 09:03 PM

I haven't finished the skirt yet. I'm waiting for my friend/customer to come back to town so I can adjust the length for her. Luckily she's she same waist/hip size as me so I was able to fit it well around the middle but she's taller than me so I need her to get it right. It has purple and lime tulle underneath and has purple and lime polycotton (I think. I threw out the fabric details ages ago when i bought it) quarters. She wanted "why so serious" on it so I painted that quote as Heath ledgers joker face (not my design) on it. It has a black elastic waistband and when it's the right length I'm gonna edge it with think black bias. It's very swooshy.

Now I have to start a backpack for the same person but that's more my forte lol

#71 greenthumbs

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:51 AM

That sounds so cool! (says my 14yo and 38yo selves)

I hope your friend will let you pop a piccie here for us.

#72 DragonsGrace

Posted 19 August 2016 - 06:27 PM

The clients best friend (who I am also friends with) has obviously seen some pics I sent her and now she's asked me to make a similar skirt but for a Harley Quinn cosplay. At least it'll be easier for me to work out the circle maths this time haha. And I know what I'm doing now so my head shouldn't explode this time lol

#73 DirtyStreetPie

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:59 AM

View PostGlitterFarts, on 18 August 2016 - 03:27 PM, said:

It looks great!

Thank you! I wore it yesterday, and my son (who doesn't chuck anymore) promptly chucked on it. :D

DG, the skirt sounds awesome! And BC20, I'm on the lookout for the quilting magazine. They're on Issue 38 now... looking forward to picking up Issue 40. :)

I've completed my first Craftsy project. There's a couple of pics here. I'm so happy with it, it's replaced my big heavy baby bag.

I've also dug up my late mum's Singer 8280. It's a pretty basic machine, but it feels sturdy and nicely heavy. It's currently at the repair shop getting a much-needed service. My dad is really happy that the machine will now be used rather than sit around gathering dust, but he cried when we packed it into the car. I made sure to tell the repairer that the machine means a lot to my dad.

#74 sahmie

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:34 AM

Hi all,

Joining in here; I'm trying to find my sewjo atm. Book week costumes just finished, and now I have the boring task of sewing 8 euro cushion covers for MIL, and 9 skater skirts for my daughters dance concert next month. After that I'll be free, and the first thing on my list is a few more Mouse House Creations cardi's. They're a wardrobe staple for me.
Loads of spandex to sew up for the girls, and I want to do some euro knit shopping too. Oh, and we're getting a puppy soon too, so I'm looking for some toys and things to make for him as well.

#75 blackcat20

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:41 AM

Finally finished my Snippets quilt. Sending it to someone else to be quilted as its far too massive for me.

https://www.instagra...n-by=blackcat20

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

This mum has donated over 2,000 litres of breast milk

The mother-of-two was diagnosed with hyper-lactation.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Call to teach kids about breastfeeding at school

The aim is to increase breastfeeding rates and reduce stigma.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

'Working for nothing': Childcare crisis pushes Sydney parents to the brink

Most parents are experiencing substantial difficulties with the financial burden and lack of availability of childcare, as costs have more than doubled for some families in just over a decade.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Paying $2.50 for a babycino? This is why...

Aren't babycinos just a bit of froth? Not so, it seems...

I'm a stay-at-home mum who's an awful housewife

"Hey, come here a second," my mum said as she replaced the book in my hands with a wooden spoon covered in what I prayed was red sauce. Together, we walked into the kitchen and hovered over the skillet like we were peering into a crystal ball. Looking into my future, I saw me eating a lot of take away.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.