Sewing Bar #2

308 replies to this topic

#1 GlitterFarts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:29 PM

Well, even though the last few threads about sewing seemed to crash and burn after a while, I figured one more chance.... lol!

I am finally in my new house with my new room JUST for me!! YAY!!

It's a little crowded with boxes as it's also the sorting room, lol, but eventually, it will be my office for my little business and my craft room with DH's little closet office off the side :p

Posted Image

I can't WAIT!!  I am anxious to get sewing again, especially as the kids birthdays are coming up from september onwards!

I have heaps and I mean HEAPS of soft toys, bags and pants to make and I have even branched out and bought a tshirt panel of the cartoon Addams Family to make into a tshirt for me. Well, I SAY me, but my 10yr old is apparently under some delusion that its for her... that's just crazy talk!! :no:

So that's me.... how is everyone else going?? Sewing anything? Creating anything?

Oh and is there any interest in doing any more of those monthly challenges? I won't bother if noone is interested :)

#2 blackcat20

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:39 PM

Plodding along here. Sent quilt off to UK a week and a half ago. Despite express post it is still to be delivered. Got my first magazine quilt back but cant show it until its published. Working on a quilt for me and hoped to get it done before I go on holiday but looking very unlikely.

#3 DirtyStreetPie

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:11 AM

Ahoy!

Nice sewing room you have there, lucky duck!

I'm in beginner land (so probably incapable of doing sewing challenges!). I've been making soft taggie toys and matching bibs for a few friends who are pregnant.

I've also recently taken a 'Tilly and the Buttons' online workshop and made a skirt. I really learned a lot from that.

After the baby gifts are done, I'm going to make a tank dress by chopping a tank top in half and sewing material to the bottom. I'll be using someone's blog post to guide me through.

Plus I've bought a 'beginner' pattern from McCall's. One of the first steps is to sew a dart. Err no. That can wait until after I've figured out what a dart is. :)

Blackcat20, looking forward to seeing your magazine quilt!

#4 GlitterFarts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:29 PM

Hi DSP!

I was doing a three choice challenge - have a look

http://www.essential...wing-challenge/

so that newbies like yourself could join in too.

Maybe if I offered a prize? :o :grin:

I would love to see what you are making - share and have a brag!! :D

Hey BC20! I am still waiting to hear which magazine I have to buy to show everyone your quilt? Did I miss it somewhere in a previous chat? I swear I would lose my head if it wasn't attached lol :D

What sort of quilt are you doing for yourself?

#5 blackcat20

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:34 PM

View PostGlitterFarts, on 20 May 2016 - 02:29 PM, said:

Hey BC20! I am still waiting to hear which magazine I have to buy to show everyone your quilt? Did I miss it somewhere in a previous chat? I swear I would lose my head if it wasn't attached lol :D

What sort of quilt are you doing for yourself?

Oh, sorry! Its Quilters Companion Quilts from Precut Fabrics. Im not sure on the release date but I hear June...

Making a quilt called Snippets for myself.
https://www.instagra...n-by=blackcat20

#6 GlitterFarts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:12 PM

Oohh looking pretty!!

I know Quilters Companion! My mum buys it! :D She's the quilter in the family - I'll await your notice so that I can call her and brag that I know someone famous :D

#7 DirtyStreetPie

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:39 PM

I was doing a three choice challenge - have a look

http://www.essential...wing-challenge/

The beginner one looks very achievable, and I would actually use it!

I would love to see what you are making - share and have a brag!! :D

Oh okay, if I must! :p

Here's my stuff so far:

- zippered clutch (I used a Youtube tutorial from Gertie)

- bibs (one side is from a fat quarter, the other side is fleece)

- puffy taggie toy containing bells

- Dominique skirt (Tilly and the Buttons)

Attached File  2016-05-21 16.24.47.jpg   100.71K   105 downloads

Edited by DirtyStreetPie, 21 May 2016 - 04:41 PM.

#8 hunter4

Posted 22 May 2016 - 05:17 AM

I'm still around and still sewing tonnes.  

Most of what I make goes up on my blog.

www.solecrafts.blogspot.com

My last project was a pair of brown corduroy flares.

Attached File  Collage.jpg   117.88K   118 downloads

I was also asked by a friend to sew 35 triangular pillows with removable covers for her yoga studio  - so I was working on that for a while (35 cusions gets a bit boring after a while).

other things I've been workin on include the Sallie Jumpsuit and a shorts pattern I'll try and get photos of those up shortly.

#9 GlitterFarts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:44 PM

wow DSP! Looking great there!!

Hey hunter4 Loving those flares!! <3

#10 MrsMuzz82

Posted 28 May 2016 - 07:12 PM

Congrats on the move! Wow a sewing room how fab! My sewing machine currently lives on a dresser in the spare room and is dragged out to the the dining room whenever I want to sew. I wosh I had a room with a sewing table.

I have three half finished dresses on the go, but with the weather turning cold I suddenly lost momentum sewing dresses. So I started knitting instead.

I'm on my phone so let's see if I can add photos...

Posted Image

[img=http://s33.postimg.org/w0jvbzd8r/image.jpg]

ETA I'd be up for possibly doing more sewing challenges but we'll be travelling July and August so I'll be MIA then

Edited by MrsMuzz82, 28 May 2016 - 07:16 PM.

#11 blackcat20

Posted 28 May 2016 - 07:14 PM

Quilt finally arrived in the UK this week (Express post my a*se).

Still working on Snippets quilt but overwhelmed with orders for my shop this week so progress is slow.

#12 greenthumbs

Posted 28 May 2016 - 07:56 PM

Hiya!  :waves:

I just couldn't join in the sewing challenges. Cannot find time with little ones around. I don't have any time without them, except before I go to bed and am usually too tired so don't get much sewing done. Plus DS2 hates the sewing machine so I really can't spend much time there.

But, I have been doing some hand sewing. Just some hexies that I bought pre-cut at a craft fair. It's something at least, and I plan to turn them into coasters for my folks eventually.

I've got some mending to do first, then hope to get a bit more consistent with sewing / crafting. I did buy myself a glass fronted cabinet to keep my pretty fabrics and so on in, right next to my sewing table/area, so having it all easily accessible is making a difference.

Really looking forward to the quilt fair in sydney next month. My mum is coming to visit and I'm offloading the kids with the IL's for the day. Can't wait!

DSP - those bibs and toys look great! The toys will be very popular I reckon.

GF - can't wait to see your space once all unpacked.

MissMuzz, that cardy is gorgeous! Nice work you! One thing I cannot get the hang of is knitting.

Loving the moda fabric blackcat! I'm a fan of the 'modern' moda's. I have quite the beginnings of a stash. Now I just have to start actually using it!

#13 ABabyPlease

Posted 28 May 2016 - 08:31 PM

Congrats on your sewing room!

I have totally slowed down after my massive effort of a summer dress and then I made shorts for DS but they were way too big. I have fabric to make him pants, will have to do this before winter ends.

The challenge is a great idea, but not something I can do right now, but I love seeing what everyone makes.

#14 GlitterFarts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 08:48 PM

MrsMuzz82 - wow! That looks fantastic!! I do so wish I could knit or at least crochet more than single stitches lol!

My last sewing area was about 1x1mtr and the tiny kitchen table that sat 2 people LOL! I am looking forward to finishing off the unpacking.

yay Blackcat!! Finally!!

Greenthumbs - I had a box I took everywhere when I did my hexies, great fun! Can't wait to see your finished products!

ABabyPlease - I had several summer dresses that I will now put away and start focussing on my winter pants again lol

#15 GlitterFarts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:02 PM

Ooohhh, I got my Avengers fleece out and I only have my books to sort and i can SEW!!! WOOT! Gonna make me and the kids Avengers Fleecy pants for lounging around home!! :dance:

I also am making some friends a surprise because she is awesome, so hopefully I can get it all done this week!

Anyone else onto their winter sewing?

#16 greenthumbs

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:05 PM

I have some flannelette I was supposed to make into pj pants for the boys last year. I should try and do that before this winter is over.

#17 MarigoldMadge

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:14 PM

i haven't sewed in ages - but started watching the latest season of Great British Sewing Bee and I'm all inspired again.

Just need to find some space.....

#18 hunter4

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:22 PM

View PostGlitterFarts, on 05 June 2016 - 08:02 PM, said:

Ooohhh, I got my Avengers fleece out and I only have my books to sort and i can SEW!!! WOOT! Gonna make me and the kids Avengers Fleecy pants for lounging around home!! :dance:

I also am making some friends a surprise because she is awesome, so hopefully I can get it all done this week!

Anyone else onto their winter sewing?

Ohh Avengers fleece - my boy would love that (as would I)  I will have to find me some of that next season.  I'm in the northern hemisphere though so just starting on my summer sewing.

View Postgreenthumbs, on 05 June 2016 - 10:05 PM, said:

I have some flannelette I was supposed to make into pj pants for the boys last year. I should try and do that before this winter is over.

This sounds like me - I'm always buying pieces of fabric and then forgetting about them...Hopefully you get some time to make that pjs soon.

View PostMarigoldMadge, on 05 June 2016 - 10:14 PM, said:

i haven't sewed in ages - but started watching the latest season of Great British Sewing Bee and I'm all inspired again.

Just need to find some space.....

Ohh Great British Sewing Bee - I love that show.  I watched the first two episodes last weekend and am just waiting for the next episode to appear on you tube - it's the only place I can watch it from.

#19 GlitterFarts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:22 PM

Ha, greenthumbs thats why I have avengers fleece, sisnt get around to sewing them last winter :lol:

MarigoldMadge - im watching it too -i love how nice everyone is and how talented everyone is!

#20 GlitterFarts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:25 PM

Aawww if you were closer, I'd send you some, hunter! I bought so much that DS is using it as a blanket :rofl:

#21 DirtyStreetPie

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:39 PM

I'm finally going to start that tank dress I've been wanting to make, some time this week. After I clean the floors...

Being a beginner, everything takes ages. Just marking and cutting the fabric takes up a whole nap (I measure time in nap lengths, now!).

I wish they would show the Sewing Bee on TV! Are all the seasons on Youtube?

#22 GlitterFarts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:50 PM

You have to be quick as they get taken down real quick apparently. Soneone was posting them on youtube for a group im in and they were reported within hours. The official channel does have previous series last time i checked

#23 ClarkeTribe

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:11 PM

Just thought I would pop in and say hello. :)

I am going to get involved here by getting my craft room in order. Been a bit busy in recent months with my wedding, study and research.

I look forward to getting to know you all and learning from you all. :)

Edited by ClarkeTribe, 07 June 2016 - 12:08 PM.

#24 GlitterFarts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:21 PM

Welcone ClarkeTribe :waves:

#25 GlitterFarts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:19 PM

Its a long weekend here and we have our first rental inspection next week, so looking forward to having my sewingroom compketely sorted tonight and hopefully *squeees* sewing tomorrow!!!!

Anyone else have sewing planned this weekend?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Postnatal depression and the feelings that scare mums most

"I was shocked and horrified that I'd had this thought. That's not me."

A toddler’s step-by-step guide to avoiding bedtime

How many of these tactics does your toddler employ at bedtime?

Melbourne - get your FREE tickets!

Register now for your free ticket (valued at $20) for the Melbourne Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores.

The great toddler chase: every pregnant mum's nightmare

This is the funniest photo ever. We've all been there!

Would you do this to your baby in a carseat?

One mum looked that fear in the face and shared how important it is to think about adjusting the straps on our kids' car seats.

The secret to fitness after having a baby

It turns out that taking a more flexible approach might be the best way to make it happen.

Frustrated mum's genius plan to stop dinner time battles

Hands up who is sick and tired of cooking dinner for their kids every night only to have them complain about what's on their plate.

Photo shoot captures the dirty work of parenting

What do you do when you want a sweet maternity shoot but it just won't stop raining?

Could this simple thing help you avoid the 'baby blues'?

Researchers are now looking at whether the nutrients you ingest after giving birth can help reduce your likelihood of developing the baby blues.

We face more judgement than our mums did, study finds

We're judged more than our mums were - science says so.

As a mum, it's hard to ask for help. And that needs to change

Yesterday was a bad day for me. I started feeling ill a couple of days ago but battled on, as we do.

Why I don't care about your gender reveal

So you're having a baby? That's great, babies are awesome.

Dad's simple baby soothing hack

When this dad's baby wouldn't stop crying he took matters into his own hands. He also recorded what he did to let other people in on the simple hack and now it's going viral.

Husband gives birth after his wife was unable to fall pregnant

After his wife struggled to conceive, transgender man Chris Rehs-Dupin decided to give it a go.

10 things I thought about motherhood before I actually became a mum

Everyone is a parenting expert until they have kids – right?

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

See Pinky McKay live - for FREE

Pinky will be speaking daily at the Essential Baby & Toddler Show, Melbourne, 28-30 April. Free tickets now!

Free ticket offer

See Pinky McKay live - for FREE

Pinky will be speaking daily at the Essential Baby & Toddler Show, Melbourne, 28-30 April. Free tickets now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.