Packing For Hospital

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Nut

Posted 07 May 2016 - 07:54 PM

Packing for hospital can be a bit of a daunting task, especially if this is your first baby and you're not sure what you could possibly need! This list is designed to give you some ideas of what you might want to consider. It's not a list of "YOU MUST HAVE ALL OF THIS STUFF" so please don't think this is everything you need. Just consider it a good place to start and you can pick off things you think might be useful for you.

Suggestions for Packing:

During Labour
- Lip Balm
- Massage oil
- Music if you want it during labour
- Something comfortable to wear – I.e. a loose T-Shirt or nightie (something you don’t mind throwing out in case it gets ruined).
- Something to put on afterward
- Lollies or lollipops to suck on.
- Something to wear in the bath if you’re shy
- Heat packs, cool packs, massage tools etc. to help with pain relief or other items such as a TENS machine you may wish to use not provided by the hospital.
- Birth plan if applicable.

For Mum after the birth:

- 2 - 3 Nightie/Pyjamas
- Sock
- Slippers - Good slippers can replace shoes if you suffer from swelling and may be worn in place of shoes in the event shoes don't end up fitting. Slippers really do come in handy.
- Bathrobe
- 2 - 3 Nursing Bras & Tops
- 2 Boxes Breast Pads
- 8+ Pairs of underwear - It pays to have some old ones in the bag that can be thrown away in case of staining in the days after birth. Or do what I did and just buy a heap of cheap ones for your bag.
- Maternity Pads (hospitals do have some but they are not great). Some women have very heavy bleeding and Poise/incontinence pants have been suggested as a consideration.
- Toiletries: The usual tooth brush, skin care etc. Many also say a hair dryer is also good for drying swollen genitals.
- Eye Glasses/Contact Lenses - if worn.
- Towel if you don’t want to use the hospital towels. They don't cover much, but on the flip side you don't have to clean them.
- Day clothes - bear in mind that you may be sore so loose fitting clothes are the suggestion.
- A roll or 2 of your own SOFT toilet paper if you don’t want to use the hospital scratchy stuff, or flushable wipes.
- Water bottle with a pop top squeezy lid to clean yourself.
- Breast Pump in case there is a need to express. The hospital should have these, but some women prefer certain brands and may prefer to use their own.
- Plastic bags for dirty clothes.
- Tissues - Again provided but some like their own soft ones
- Metamucil & Ural - Ural is very good. It makes your pee alkaline so it doesn't burn. They also like to make sure you pass a bowel motion soon after birth so Metamucil or some kind of gentle fibre can be useful if you're prone to issues. This may be something to discuss with your care giver if you have bowel concerns.
- Multivitamins and any other medications you may need.
- Thongs for shower - Foot fungus... It happens.

For Partner:
- Snacks for during and after labour - It can be a long time between meals for partners so pack some snacks that he can nibble on whilst you are in labour.
- Panadol - some partners suffer from stress and tension headaches when watching their partners in pain and often hospitals won't give medication to fathers so it can be handy to have some in your bag.
- Swimmers in case he/she wants to join you in the shower or bath
- Change of clothes in case you're there a while and he/she wants to get cleaned up
- Book/ipad/something to do if things take a while.

Other
- Mobiles
- Ipad/Tablet or laptop
- Camera
- Chargers for all devices
- Snacks for when you are back on the ward.
- MP3 player or equivalent if not using phones
- Journal/Notepad - to keep notes of the things you may forget in the haste of everything and pen. Good if you want to write your birth experience as well if you want to record it and keep it fresh.
- Magazines and books - for reading when baby is sleeping (if you are not!)
- Money - Be careful about leaving money in your room when unattended.
- Your own Pillow/Doona if you like your home comforts
- Thank you gifts for midwives/doctors

For Baby - Most hospitals supply everything you need including napplies, gowns, blankets etc. and do not recommend using soaps and oils when bathing however some parents like to bring their own things. It's worth confirming with your hospital what they provide in any case, just to be sure.

Definites
- Going home outfit (inc. socks)
- Extra nappies
- Wipes
- Warm hat
- Scratch Mittens
- Blanket for going home
- A couple of spare outfits just in case
Other
- Stretchsuits
- Singlets
- Socks/booties
- Cardigans (depending on season)
- Blankets and wraps
- Toiletries - Baby Bath stuff. Baby Shampoo. Baby brush and comb. Massage Oil
- If bottle feeding, check if you need to supply your own bottles and formula.
- Nail scissors for baby

Car:
- A correctly fitted Australian Standards Approved Car Restraint

Please feel free to discuss and make suggestions! This is made up from years of EB contributions and whittled down to what I hope is not too overwhelming and a but more up to date with current technology and times.

Please also read the comments for suggestions from other mums!!!

#2 wombats

Posted 07 May 2016 - 07:59 PM

Our hospital had a list of things to take for baby and finished with the statement that the hospital would supply everything else. Yep, they did, they supplied a bassinet and a blanket.

#3 Katerina 34

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:02 PM

Nice work Nut.

#4 Lunafreya

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:14 PM

Can I suggest replacing maternity pads with Poise? A lot of women are incontinent after the birth and maternity pads will not hold urine. I was messing up the bed every five minutes until my husband got me incontinence pads as everything would just go straight through.

#5 jem_cat

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:57 PM

A pair of larger shoes or with some give. I swelled up so much after labour (lots of fluids) and by the day we went home my feet and ankles were huge and barely fit in the shoes I had.

#6 Nut

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:23 PM

I've added a note to encourage people to scroll through the comments as well so people can see the extra suggestions as well. If I add everything the list gets very long (the original one from a few years ago went over something like 8 pages).

I will not change maternity pads to poise but I will add a note about it as a consideration. Larger shoes I might put a note next to slippers/ugg boots as they can be really good for swollen feet. I know many women wear their slippers home.

#7 Perth_mumma

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:31 AM

I had a c section and regreted having so many maternity pads and not enough normal pads (i ended up cutting the maternity ones down). I guess they did a good job of removing a lot of the blood during surgery. I only bled heavily for the first day.

Also I will be making sure this time around I pack some nice clothes as opposed to the baggy kmart pjs I stocked up on last time. I don't mean anything over the top nice but just some day clothes that are still comfy as I really felt daggy in my pjs all day esspecially with so many visitors, you feel grose enough that getting dressed in the morning is a good feeling. Maybe some stretchy cotton tshirt dresses (bfing friendly ones). Keep in mind you need easy access for the nurses to your bottom half & also after a csection something loose & easy to grt on off & go to the loo. Also some wonen bleed a lot particularly with natural births hence why they opt for cheap pj pants they can ditch :)

#8 seayork2002

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:37 AM

View PostMasahiro Tanaka, on 07 May 2016 - 08:14 PM, said:

Can I suggest replacing maternity pads with Poise? A lot of women are incontinent after the birth and maternity pads will not hold urine. I was messing up the bed every five minutes until my husband got me incontinence pads as everything would just go straight through.

I did not end up needing them BUT I was given this tip years before I had a baby for heavy periods so I took some along and do still use them whenever I have a heavy period so I too suggest taking them to hospital as well.

I also did not need to do this TMI ALERT but if you have stinging down below put one to the area in the shower/toilet  and wee onto and it should lessen the stinging

Edited by seayork2002, 31 August 2016 - 11:40 AM.

#9 seayork2002

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:50 AM

I wanted to post this as a separate list to my PP

What I ended up using (about 10% of what I took with me)

Nightie, spare underwear, slippers (I can't remember wearing them or not) a jumpsuit for the baby and I think that is about it

My husband and mum (who were with me the whole time) did not use anything but I was only in for just over 24 hours in total (they went home after 12)

#10 Esseffaz

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:07 PM

What a coincidence!

I have my bag out ready to pack and this thread is bumped.

First time mum and my bag currently contains:
  • Medela breastpump kit so they can show me how to use it
  • Rosewater facial cleanser
  • 1 x sock. Not a pair. A single sock.

I plan to rectify this by the end of today. I bought stuff ready to go, it's just all over the house.

What kind of snacks would you recommend? I was told to pack prunes/apricots to encourage bowel movements post birth. I've also heard that pear juice is very good to take for the same reason.

#11 daisy007

Posted 31 August 2016 - 03:00 PM

My advice is to pack well in advance of your due date. I had a prem baby and after being admitted to hospital had to send my DH home to get stuff for me, he came back with an interesting mix of clothes. I ended up giving birth in my best and most expensive top!

#12 Lou-bags

Posted 31 August 2016 - 05:28 PM

View PostEsseffaz, on 31 August 2016 - 12:07 PM, said:

What a coincidence!

I have my bag out ready to pack and this thread is bumped.

First time mum and my bag currently contains:
  • Medela breastpump kit so they can show me how to use it
  • Rosewater facial cleanser
  • 1 x sock. Not a pair. A single sock.

I plan to rectify this by the end of today. I bought stuff ready to go, it's just all over the house.

What kind of snacks would you recommend? I was told to pack prunes/apricots to encourage bowel movements post birth. I've also heard that pear juice is very good to take for the same reason.

Your current list made me laugh!

As for snacks, the food at my hospital was great and they brought so many snacks plus I got so much food at meals that I had no need for any more (I had a little fridge in my room). And one of the brekkie options each day was prunes with oats.

And during labour I didn't feel like eating, though managed a few sour squirms and teeny licorice all sort type things on my DHs insistence. They brought meal trays around too, so I had brekkie not long after arriving, before labour took proper hold.

If you end up having any trouble vacating your bowels after the birth, they can give you a laxative. Take it! And sooner rather than later.

#13 Perth_mumma

Posted 31 August 2016 - 06:19 PM

I don't remember needing snacks either but that was at a private hospital. A friend did bring some yummy flavoured almonds (honey ones) yummoooo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.