Low free beta hcg levels

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 smmaho

Posted 29 April 2016 - 04:58 PM

I was having a look at my NT results which all came back low risk, however I made a mistake of googling because I was interested in what the different types of blood tests were.

I now realise that my free beta hcg levels are on the low side (0.47) and anything below 0.5 is considered low.

So what did I do then...google what that means...big mistake!
From what I can see it could potentially mean a low birth weight for the baby or placenta issues in the third trimester.

Did anyone else have low free beta hcg levels? I'm trying to decide if it's worth worrying about especially since I'm so close to that 0.5 mark. My ob didn't mention anything when he gave me my results just said that I was low risk.

I may mention it to him at my 16 week appointment and just see what he says.

#2 IamtheMumma

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:16 PM

Are you looking at the right units? The correct unit is MoM (multiple of the median) but a lot of path labs report in IU/L.

I wouldn't worry about it. If the nuchal fold was normal, papp-a normal and the free beta hcg is low normal, its all good. Having said that, its still 1 in 15000 or 33000. Anyone could be that 1.

#3 smmaho

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:27 PM

Yeah it was in the MoM measurements. Normal Papp-a results and nucheal fold. <1 in 20000 odds. It's just this low level that's bothering me.

#4 IamtheMumma

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:34 PM

I know this is easy to say but worrying isn't going to change the result.

Does it worry you enough to act on it? If you were that 1, would you be wanting to end the pregnancy or would you continue? An amnio has a risk of miscarriage of around 1:200. Is that worth it when your low risk at 1:20000?

These are food for thought questions to try to help you not worry. I'm not demanding answers.

#5 smmaho

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:50 PM

Yeah I'm not worried about Down syndrome I'm more worried about something happening with my placenta causing really early labour. That's my main fear.

But you are right there is no point worrying. There's nothing I can do about it right now. I just hope my ob monitors it closely in the third trimester however he doesnt seem concerned.

Edited by smmaho, 29 April 2016 - 06:51 PM.

#6 IamtheMumma

Posted 30 April 2016 - 12:53 PM

From my limited understanding, a low papp-a is the one that is associated with placental issues. But by itself, its just something to be aware of.

#7 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:51 PM

I don't even know what my number were, I just handed the paperwork over to the GP and MWs and didn't keep a copy. I know that my hcg was rising REALLY REALLY slowly all the way to 12w. I don't even remember the bHCG from the 12w. No one mentioned it. I do remember that my risk for premature labour and preeclampsia were both really low.

#8 Wilo1702

Posted 15 May 2016 - 05:24 PM

My HcG was .29 so I wouldn't be worried at yours. Like you said it's very close to normal.

#9 margot_t

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:17 AM

I had low PAPP-A and mildly elevated HCG levels. Initially they worried about DS or other trisomies, but once they were ruled out, they have decided it's a placenta issue. From all my google trawling, it is the low PAPP-A that sets gives the warning about placenta issues (also in combo with HCG levels), not HCG on its own.

I am sure your obs would have discussed it with you if they had concerns about this as there are a number of issues that can arise in 2nd/3rd trimester with IUGR etc.Also, HCG is tested in your urine, so the levels may vary through the day and when you last urinated. Bring it up at your next appt if you're worried, but honestly, if I was you and your obs wasn't worried, I wouldn't be either.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.