Elevit making morning sickness worse?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 pikkulintu

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:36 AM

I've been suffering horrendously with all day and night sickness the past few weeks. All I've really done is drag myself out of bed to do the school run/pick up and that's about it. I had morning sickness with DS 1 and 2 but never this bad.
I switched from taking elevit in the morning to just before I went to bed because I was throwing up so much but since then I've found I have to get up during the night to be sick and that I can't sleep properly because of the constant nausea.

I fell asleep early last night and forgot to take it and lo and behold, I feel not bad this morning! Still quite nauseous but I haven't had to be sick as soon as I get up and I've kept down an up and go.
Have a doctors app this morning so I'll discuss it with her but I think I'll be switching vitamins.

Has anyone experienced this?

#2 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:38 AM

I've heard it can happen. Some people switch to a straight folic acid like Megafol instead :)

#3 bec2585

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:09 AM

After speaking to my Drs and midwives about my Ms it was decided I needed to come elevit because it does make women's Ms worse I now just take megafol as they assured me that all the other nutrients are coming from me anyway so Bub will be fine but it's definately worth speaking to your dr I also got a script for maxalon that has become my best friend

#4 honeybarbara

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:11 AM

I take mine in when I'm half way finished my dinner, otherwise in certain it would make me sick. I just couldn't stomach the huge blackmores tablets!

#5 amaza

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:11 AM

I can't stomach Elevit at all. I just took folic acid and vitamin D separately.

It didn't help my morning sickness this time but certainly did with my previous pregnancies.

#6 Lily-bee

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:16 AM

Yes! A friend of mine found the same and stopped taking them and feels so much better.

#7 moved

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:27 AM

Its pretty common I think, but you might want to think about switching to something with the essentials (iodine, folate etc) as if Elevit makes you sick other pregnancy multis are likely to as well. Blackmores made me sick, I found Elevit a lot better. You could then switch to a more rounded pregnancy multi or back to Elevit after the morning sickness passes.

#8 jemsoli

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:38 AM

I used to take my elevit after the worst of the sickness had worn off for the day and "sandwich" it between food. so, eat half of my sandwich, take vitamin, eat rest of sandwich. taking anything in the morning used to make me feel terrible, and even now when I take vitamins in the morning sometimes they make me nauseas.

#9 The Old Feral

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:46 AM

I think it might be the iron. I haven't been pregnant for 10 years and iron supplements make me feel sick, especially if I take them on an empty stomach.

Not sure if they're still available but GNC had an iron free pregnancy supplement which helped me a lot.

#10 AlmondButter

Posted 17 March 2016 - 07:15 AM

I can't stomach any vitamins on an empty stomach so always take them straight after a meal. Have you tried taking them with food? I'm on Elevit too but haven't found it any different to Blackmores for nausea. Hope the MS eases for you soon - I'm in complete sympathy - it's the pits!!

#11 N. Tonks

Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:12 PM

The pregnancy multi I take has B6 in it and I have a funny feeling it's actually helping me with MS because I tend to start feeling nauseous just before it's time to take it. I think it's a matter of finding the vitamins that work for you, but I have heard some can make MS worse.

#12 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 17 March 2016 - 06:17 PM

Maybe that explains why I haven't had much nausea/MS, because I've been taking 100mg of B6 since before I was pregnant.

#13 mrsduncs

Posted 04 April 2016 - 01:52 PM

it makes me sick if I have it on an empty stomach so I have to take elevate as soon as ive had a heavy meal. otherwise I will battle nausea for the rest of the day :S

#14 Ellie bean

Posted 04 April 2016 - 01:56 PM

Not in your DIG but if you're that sick and switching vitamins doesn't help you might want to talk to your dr about a medication like maxolon or zofran. hope you feel better soon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.