Names that have dropped off in a generation

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#51 attery squash

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:29 PM

Virtually all the girls in my generation had one of three middle names: Anne, Jane or Louise. I was so pleased I had a different one!

ETA: in this generation I think those are replaced by Rose and Grace.

Edited by attery squash, 14 March 2016 - 05:32 PM.

#52 Bam1

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:31 PM

View Postchickendrumstick, on 14 March 2016 - 03:57 PM, said:

Calvin seems to be big in the Chinese- and Vietnamese-Australian communities - I taught five or six while working in those areas last year.

I wonder whether the kids today with names like Isabella, Ava, Lucas and Oliver will name their kids Karen and Graham or whether they'll ever come back at all?

My kids primary school had a lot of Chinese familie's and a lot were called the names in this thread - Michelle, Angela, Kevin, Paul to name a few. I asked a friend about this and she said she didn't know much about English names and just chose one she heard growing up!

#53 jdl

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:34 PM

View PostFeral Grey Mare, on 14 March 2016 - 05:13 PM, said:

We'll call him Norman". He was a late 1950s baby. I have only known one Norman born in the last 50 years. He was Chinese and he was given the name as his "English" name.

Norman...yes.  I have worked with a Lyncoln, a Clayton and Clayton had a brother Elvis, all Australian born Chinese.

But somehow even those names don't sound as completely redundant as names like DIana, Annette, Lynette, Janette, Megan, Carole/ine.yn etc etc all said earlier.

It was Ruby Evelyn. I kept my promise.

We had three Rubys at primary school and one Evelyen (a boy).

#54 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:52 PM

My friend is constantly amazed that her in-laws could have looked at her DH when he was born and said "We'll call him Norman". He was a late 1950s baby. I have only known one Norman born in the last 50 years. He was Chinese and he was given the name as his "English" name.

I think that of a lot of men's names - like, they're perfectly fine for a grown man - but to look at a wee baby boy and say "Clive. he's a Clive." Or Brian (a very naughty boy) or Russell.

I have a much easier time reconciling names for baby girls and grown women. Except Ruth. Can't really fathom looking at a little baby girl and calling her Ruth. But as a woman's name goes - it's fine.

#55 Imaginary friend

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:09 PM

View PostEsmeLennox, on 14 March 2016 - 03:13 PM, said:

Linda, Jodie, Joanne, Susan/Suzanne, Leonie, Dianne, Maree, Raelene, Scott, Jason, Paul, Luke, Melissa, Tamara, Wayne, Graeme, Calvin, Mark... Haven't seen any of those names in my classrooms over the last 20 years...

I am surprised you have not seen any Luke's in the last 20 years, it was still in top 100 last year and would of been higher in previous years.

Re some other names mentioned in this thread - in my extended family there is an Amy, a Michelle and a Nicole, all well under 10.
Actually all under 7, I think.

#56 FiveAus

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:12 PM

My friend is constantly amazed that her in-laws could have looked at her DH when he was born and said "We'll call him Norman". He was a late 1950s baby.

I think that about a lot of the current crop of "trendy" old man names I see lately. How can someone look at a little baby and say "Oldgrandpa, he looks just like an Oldgrandpa, we'll name him something that should have been dead and buried 150 years ago!"

#57 la di dah

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:13 PM

View Postattery squash, on 14 March 2016 - 05:29 PM, said:

Virtually all the girls in my generation had one of three middle names: Anne, Jane or Louise. I was so pleased I had a different one!

Do you mind me asking which generation this was?

I swear I never knew one person middle name Louise until I migrated to Oz and they seem to have had a really good run out here.

I would have guessed Anne, Lynn, Marie as the 'predictable middles' of a previous cycle. Maybe Lee/Leigh. Looks like Lynn and Lee were sitting on the Louise space back home.

Rose as a middle I know I heard from the '80s on but I don't know about before that.

#58 FiveAus

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:15 PM

Joy was also a very popular middle name in the 50's, 60's and 70's. And it's my middle name. I hated it as a kid, now I don't mind it.

#59 AmicusCuriae

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:30 PM

I went to school with numerous Carly's, Erin's and Rachel's. Almost everyone's middle names seemed to be Anne, Jane or Louise. I think we had 4 Sean's in my grade at high school along with several Kevin's.  Crystal and Jade also seemed to be pretty trendy. One of my best friends is a Kristy (not Kristen, just Kristy). I don't think the early 80s were a particularly great time for baby names.

#60 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:30 PM

80s baby here
I went to school with mels and matts
Dont hear too much of them now, well matt appears but mel is over
I admit i hated having so many mels close
Variation people and made it hard for the teacher
"mel" 6 look up
I forgot bens, we had a few bens

Edited by Squeekums Da Feral, 14 March 2016 - 06:32 PM.

#61 Neeps

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:32 PM

Gavin, Wayne, Duane, Shane, Kevin, Darren, Jason - I cannot fathom anyone looking at a newborn and thinking these names work.

#62 The Old Feral

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:33 PM

View Postla di dah, on 14 March 2016 - 06:13 PM, said:

Do you mind me asking which generation this was?

I swear I never knew one person middle name Louise until I migrated to Oz and they seem to have had a really good run out here.

I would have guessed Anne, Lynn, Marie as the 'predictable middles' of a previous cycle. Maybe Lee/Leigh. Looks like Lynn and Lee were sitting on the Louise space back home.

Rose as a middle I know I heard from the '80s on but I don't know about before that.

I'm not the pp, but early 70s would be my guess. I've got one of those middle names, as does just about every other friend from that era!

#63 livelifelovehappy

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:40 PM

Lisa, Leanne, Kylie, any of the forms of Mel. Jason, Dave, Chris, Steve, Shane, Simon, Mat, Stuart. Danielle, Jackie, Alicia... am basically naming my 35 year old friends here. Brian, Nick...

#64 .Jerry.

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:45 PM

View PostFiveAus, on 14 March 2016 - 06:15 PM, said:

Joy was also a very popular middle name in the 50's, 60's and 70's. And it's my middle name. I hated it as a kid, now I don't mind it.
A young relative (age 3) of mine has the first name Joy.  Totally suits her. :)

#65 BadCat

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:45 PM

When I was at school there were lots of:

Jennifer
Karen
Catherine
Amanda
Leanne
Lisa
Sharon

Mark
David
Scott
Peter
Craig
Michael

I hardly hear any kids with those names now.

#66 .Jerry.

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:48 PM

I do see some of the older 70s style names on kids who enrol in school from some Asian countries such as Korea and China.  Despite the fact we are happy to use their real name, many of them want to anglicise their name or pick an "Aussie" name.  Most of the names chosen are out of style.

#67 Weirdly Sane

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:55 PM

Has anyone mentioned Debbie?

When I think back to primary school there were lots of
Debbies!

#68 slinky

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:07 PM

View PostFiveAus, on 14 March 2016 - 06:15 PM, said:

It's my middle name to and was very popular as a middle name in primary school (80's). I passed the name onto my daughter and its her middle name too.

#69 Hands Up

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:09 PM

I forgot about all the Bens! I dated two, one after the other. Gosh I'd completely forgotten about that.

#70 causeway

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:16 PM

View Post3XY, on 14 March 2016 - 04:45 PM, said:

I was more than a little surprised to discover a girl in kindergarten with my boys last year with my name- Melanie. I feel like it really dates me as an early 70s baby!
... And I was about to say that there are no baby 'Melanie's'.... I'm a mid-79's model!

#71 liveworkplay

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:16 PM

I know so many Nicoles/Nicolas and Rachaels that I automatically add their last name when talking about them.

My 6 yr old has a Christina in her class. Which is a refreshing change

Edited by liveworkplay, 14 March 2016 - 07:18 PM.

#72 causeway

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:18 PM

View PostThe Old Feral, on 14 March 2016 - 06:33 PM, said:

I'm not the pp, but early 70s would be my guess. I've got one of those middle names, as does just about every other friend from that era!
I'm a 'Louise' - mid 70s model but then 4 year old DD also shares this middle name!

#73 MarciaB

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:21 PM

The y names : Kelly, Jodie, Tracy, Shelly ,Mary

Others that I went to school with : Anita, Justine, Susan, suzanne, Christine, Janet, Cathy, Leanne, Lisa, Anne, Linda

My best friend was Scarlett ( her Mum was a Gone with the Wind fan). That was super rare and she hated her name.

Boys most have been mentioned: David, Matthew, Stephen, John, Michael, Paul, Peter

Edited by MarciaB, 14 March 2016 - 07:23 PM.

#74 Hands Up

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:22 PM

I was born in 1980 and my sister in 1981. Both our names have been mentioned many times here. I've never been a fan of my own name but think my sister's name is beautiful.

#75 unicycle

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:25 PM

View Post3XY, on 14 March 2016 - 04:45 PM, said:

I was more than a little surprised to discover a girl in kindergarten with my boys last year with my name- Melanie. I feel like it really dates me as an early 70s baby!
As does your user name ! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.