Names that have dropped off in a generation

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#1 SenatorPrissypants

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:50 PM

Just thinking about naming trends and it's funny when you think about how quickly names can decline. Thinking of my generation, some names that were everywhere and now nowhere- Amanda, Michelle, Stephen and David seem to have just dropped off the radar. It happens with every generation but it's interesting to think about names that were so normal to me 15-20 years ago and are now dated, much like the amount of friends my mother has named Denise.

#2 Gumbette

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:57 PM

DH & I were discussing this just last week.  Other names that came to mind were:

Rachel,  Nicole, Donna, Jason & Daryl.

#3 Freddie'sMum

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:57 PM

In my class growing up - just thinking of the girls - we had:

Michelle (2 or more)
Rachel (2 or more)
Karla / Carla (2 or more)
Kim / Kimberley (at least 1)
Cheryl (at least 1 if not 2)
Jodie (at least 1 if not 2)
Julie (at least 2 if not 3)
Jane (at least 2 if not 3)
Marie (at least 1 if not 2)
Rebecca (at least 1 if not 2)
Melissa (at least 1)

That's just off the top of my head - I haven't heard of any babies named "Julie" or "Cheryl" being born lately .......

#4 FearsomeFeralFreak

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:58 PM

So true.
Kelly, Joanne, Nicole, Tracey, Sharon, Justine, Vanessa, Jackie.
I haven't heard of any babies with those names!

#5 Burro

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:59 PM

Barry, Ian, Nicola, Catherine?

#6 Oriental lily

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:02 PM

My sister is named Michelle at it seemed back in the 80s every class room had a couple of Michelle's . I personally think it's a lovely sounding name ( as many French names are ) and will probably bounce back quicker than many others .

Other names that was so very popular are Jennifer/ Jenny ,Jodie , Rachel , Sharon .

The baby boomer generation to that are Barbara and of course the  Shirley temple inspired Shirley .

My husband us named Brett . Very trendy to name your son Brett in the 1970s . He personally hates it and says it's a sound you make when you belch lol .

Can not see that having a massive return any time soon .

#7 la di dah

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:05 PM

I must know *all* the Rachels still being made because I know like 50 of 'em.

(I am ethnic though and I think Rachel's unusually evergreen for us as in always around)

No more Rochelles though.

Edited by la di dah, 14 March 2016 - 03:06 PM.

#8 somila

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:06 PM

Paul.  Haven't struck a little Paul in 20 years of teaching.
There were four in my Grade 3 class.

Rachel and Rebecca are still around.  Also Stephen, Ian and Catherine (But not Cathy - they were always Cathy in the 70s).

I have taught all of these in the past 5 years.

#9 la di dah

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:09 PM

I feel like Amelia and Amanda occupy the same niche and they swap off?

I like Amy but you don't meet many little Amys.

#10 FearsomeFeralFreak

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:09 PM

View PostOriental lily, on 14 March 2016 - 03:02 PM, said:

My sister is named Michelle at it seemed back in the 80s every class room had a couple of Michelle's . I personally think it's a lovely sounding name ( as many French names are ) and will probably bounce back quicker than many others .

Other names that was so very popular are Jennifer/ Jenny ,Jodie , Rachel , Sharon .

The baby boomer generation to that are Barbara and of course the  Shirley temple inspired Shirley .

My husband us named Brett . Very trendy to name your son Brett in the 1970s . He personally hates it and says it's a sound you make when you belch lol .

Can not see that having a massive return any time soon .

Yep, Brett is pretty bad. Interestingly I am not as opposed to Rhett.
Craig was another popular boys name that I think should stay firmly in the past! And Kevin. And Scott. And Kenneth. And Russell. And Shane. And Trevor.

Clearly I really dislike a lot of names from that period..

#11 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:10 PM

Growing up I had three Nicole's in my year, two Elizabeth's, some Fiona's, Melissa, Karen, Stephanie, three Tara's, Jennifer, a Heidi, 2 Lucy's, Amanda, Melanie, a Claudia, couple of Janes, a Jean, Tracy and a Raelene.

I think of those, Lucy and Claudia are still quite popular. Maybe Heidi.

Growing up boys were Peter, Matthew, Michael, Sam, Scott, Hamish, Lachlan, Aaron, Simon, Richard, Sean.

I think Lachlan is still kind of popular - as is Hamish maybe...?

#12 Mooples

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:13 PM

I think I know about 100 Sarah's but haven't heard of a baby Sarah. I'm sure it's still being used but I haven't come across one.

#13 EsmeLennox

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:13 PM

Linda, Jodie, Joanne, Susan/Suzanne, Leonie, Dianne, Maree, Raelene, Scott, Jason, Paul, Luke, Melissa, Tamara, Wayne, Graeme, Calvin, Mark... Haven't seen any of those names in my classrooms over the last 20 years...

#14 Chaos in stereo

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:16 PM

Some names that were big in my area, in my day....

Belinda, Melissa, Melinda
Darren, Troy

#15 klr75

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:16 PM

Karen and Kylie are the first two names that come to my mind!

#16 timtam92

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:17 PM

my mum and her sisters are margaret, Kathleen, barbara and rosemary!  and my dad is Donald (Don) and his siblings are Peter and Joan.

I don't see any of those making a come back (for good reasons!)

#17 Lucrezia Borgia

I tried to get variations of some of those names for my two boys - when I say variations, I mean - French spelling - Pierre and Marc. Big fat no from DH - he thought it was "w**ky" - Hmf. I do *actually* have some French in me. A long way back.

#18 timtam92

and Sarah was the big name of my generation.  and everyone had the middle name Jane

#19 MummyMumbler

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:18 PM

Mark
Peter
Garry

And many older names are coming back, but I haven't met any little Shirley's or Doris's.

#20 Babyno4

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:20 PM

I recall Lauren's, Amy, Lisa, crystals (?!)  as being at least two to three in most of my classes.

Although boys here was Benjamin, Andrew, Scott, Matthew and probably a few others.

#21 Riotproof

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:20 PM

Ds has a reader with Billy in it, which he thinks is ridiculous.

#22 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:22 PM

Kylie
Sharon
Amanda
Susan
Barbara
Gail/Gayle
Karen
Tracey
Christine/Christina
Linda

Andrew
Peter
Scott
Adam
Geoff/Jeff
Bruce
Chris

#23 rainycat

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:24 PM

Lisa
Pam
Cheryl
Trish
Dianne

Ross
Gary
Phil

#24 seayork2002

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:27 PM

View Postklr75, on 14 March 2016 - 03:16 PM, said:

Karen and Kylie are the first two names that come to my mind!

I was coming into say Kylie but I have not heard of a Karen for a while either

#25 4kids mostlysane

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:28 PM

In my Yr 12 in 1989 there were something like 8 Melissa's (including me!) (I am the only Melissa I know however who is not Melissa Jane or Melissa Anne) and at least 4 or 5 Michelle's.  There is actually a Melissa in I think it's my daughter's Year 5 which really surprised me when I found out !!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.